What's the point of having a girlfriend/boyfriend?

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
My friends think I'm fucked up when I say it's not about the sex. I like sex. It's just not what I'm there for it's like a bonus (which is the way I think it should be).

Honestly though, I like the feeling that somebody cares for me. I like it when somebody is happy just because I'm around or the thought that somebody finds me attractive. Don't get me wrong. I don't need the approval. I'm content enough with myself to basically live without shame and I often say really douchey things like "Damn I'm pretty" etc. I just like the thought of somebody enjoying me as much as I do.

However, I suck at taking compliments. I'm modest as hell if somebody says I look good or that I'm doing something well etc. Weird. This makes it hard for people to actually express interest in me. I often take longer than I should to notice somebody is interested and if I'm lucky it's before we've settled into being friends.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Radeonx said:
I have a girlfriend because she makes me happy. She is a genuinely fun person to be with, and hanging out with her is pretty much always better than being alone.
My response entirely. My GF makes me feel very special and I enjoy spending time with her. We aren't letting the relationship consume our own lives, we're merging parts together and enjoying every moment we have together and apart.

Oh and sex. Sex is goooooooooooood.

[sub]So I hear...[/sub]

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Generally it's intended to develop into a marriage and thus extreme inseparability due to love.

That usually leads to sex after marriage, as well.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Generally it's intended to develop into a marriage and thus extreme inseparability due to love.

That usually leads to sex after marriage, as well.
James Joseph Emerald said:
First off, I don't want to make this thread about me, but I feel I should give context to my viewpoint by explaining two things about me...

Firstly, I'm quite reclusive. It's previously been the source of much embarrassment and self-loathing because almost everyone puts pressure on me to "come out of my shell" (especially in Ireland, where being reclusive is so unheard-of people treat it like being a heroin addict or something), but in the last few years I've come to the realisation (after trying to force myself to be more sociable and failing on many occasions), that being reclusive is an integral part of who I am. In fact, I've decided to be proud of the fact that I'm secure in myself enough to enjoy my own company, and I think it's kind of pitiable when people need to spend every waking moment with another person because they're too dull or afraid to be alone with themselves.

Secondly, contrary to what you might be thinking, girls often come on to me. I went through a bit of an ugly phase in secondary school, so I know what it's like to be invisible to women. But it built character, and now the compensatory charm and humility that came with being unattractive works to magnify my current handsomeness. Plus there's about a dozen other ways in which I'm awesome (my sense of modesty still needs work though). It's funny how much nicer women are to me now that I'm one of the hot guys, though. They're just as bad as men when it comes to thinking with their reproductive organs, really.

Anyway, I don't really understand what the point of being in a relationship is, at least at my stage in life (21-year-old college student). I love that feeling, when everything you're supposed to do is done, and you have a whole day to spend on yourself, doing whatever you want. I tend to begrudge anything or anyone that tries to take it away from me. And I especially resent it when people feel entitled to my free time. Of the few relationships I've started, they inevitably end because the girl wants to waste an entire day "just hanging out", and either I refuse and she gets pissed off, or I relent and end up thinking of her as a chore. Are all relationships like that? Am I just being uncompromising?

A lot of my friends are starting to get girlfriends/boyfriends, and when I ask them why, they say things such as "for the sex" or "it's like having a friend you can screw" or "it's so nice to have someone to cuddle and get affection from" or "someone to pick you up when you're feeling down" (here's a fun game: guess the genders of the speakers!). But I don't really feel the need for any of that. And I have a suspicion that's the key word: need. I have a theory that all relationships (romantic or otherwise) are formed on the basis of mutual need. And, being content on my own, I don't really feel the need for a girlfriend. But maybe that's just me rationalising my own failure to commit (as a pop psych women's mag dating columnist might say).

What do you think? What's the point of being in a relationship? What do you gain out of it (or hope to gain out of it, if you're not in one)? And what do you lose out of it? Is it worth it?
Also, it's entirely possible you're just not mature enough to be able to devote time to something without feeling it's a bother to you.

The best question would be to ask what you would do with your time other than "hang out with her for the day".

Because if it's just game, or goof off, or masturbate... you really have no point, and if it's cure the common cold, then you shouldn't be on here.

Propagation eventually comes into play as well.

henchman4life

Jul 24, 2011
I have never seen a point in having one. My friends who are girls are just fine, and I'm pretty much over sex. (after the dozenth time it lost it's charm) Waste of time I say.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
It's not overrated.

Anyone who thinks that is just bitter or in denial (or they are possible asexual, which sort of removes them from the equation anyway).

But, it is definitely not essential. Some people are of the mentality that if you're not in a relationship or single for far too long, you are some kind of loser. These people are sad and should be ignored. There is nothing wrong with being single and it is something that should be publicly acknowledged as positive. To me, there is nothing more pathetic than a person who jumps from failed relationship to failed relationship out of fear of being labelled a loser.

About your question, I can't say "you hook up for X reason" because everyone hooks up for different reasons. Some people have relationships that are just about sex and vanity, others prefer communication, and others can enjoy the best of both worlds.

It is rooted in how we are designed biologically. Our sexual equipment is designed to be complimentary. Therefore, nature intended us to have sex with each other (obviously). But, we are no longer cavemen. We have evolved beyond primal instincts of just doing the nasty and going on our merry way. Relationships have become more than just a physical connection, it is emotional and psychological as well. It also allows us the opportunity to share our lives and experiences with someone who is similar but different. It sounds cliche, but your "other half". Dating is the pursuit of the other half and it's not someone you're likely to find on the first try. So, people continue to date and hook up.

Let's face it. Every single one of us wants to be understood to some degree. No one wants to live their lives completely alone.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
First off, I don't want to make this thread about me, but I feel I should give context to my viewpoint by explaining two things about me...
Fair enough, please continue.

Firstly, I'm quite reclusive. It's previously been the source of much embarrassment and self-loathing because almost everyone puts pressure on me to "come out of my shell" (especially in Ireland, where being reclusive is so unheard-of people treat it like being a heroin addict or something), but in the last few years I've come to the realisation (after trying to force myself to be more sociable and failing on many occasions), that being reclusive is an integral part of who I am. In fact, I've decided to be proud of the fact that I'm secure in myself enough to enjoy my own company, and I think it's kind of pitiable when people need to spend every waking moment with another person because they're too dull or afraid to be alone with themselves.
Ok, you started off in a way I could empathise with (I'm something of a recluse myself, I'm not really a people person) but then you kinda lost me a bit when you went down the 'I think it's quite pitiful when people need to spend time with others' path at the end there.

I too have gotten a lot of flak (especially from my family) for not being very outgoing and being content to spend most days at home playing games, watching movies, reading and doing other solitary activities (although admitantly I do spend every oppertunity I can talking to my wonderful girlfriend) and I came to a realisation (much like yourself) that ultimately no-one has any real right to tell anyone else what is or isn't a worthy use of their time (as long as you're happy with what you do and no-one is harmed in the process then that's all that matters), so while I became content in the knowledge that there was nothing wrong with my introversion I fundamentally disagree with your sentiment that being outgoing and social makes one pitiful (or that the reasons for doing so are because they're boring or afraid of isolation).

To be fair, by saying that you're being as bad as the people who put pressure on you to 'come out of your shell' (it could be argued that it's pitiful that you feel compelled to avoid people whenever possible because you're too afraid or dull to talk to people?).

Secondly, contrary to what you might be thinking, girls often come on to me. I went through a bit of an ugly phase in secondary school, so I know what it's like to be invisible to women. But it built character, and now the compensatory charm and humility that came with being unattractive works to magnify my current handsomeness. Plus there's about a dozen other ways in which I'm awesome (my sense of modesty still needs work though). It's funny how much nicer women are to me now that I'm one of the hot guys, though. They're just as bad as men when it comes to thinking with their reproductive organs, really.
Yeah, men and women aren't all that different really (it's just the expectations surrounding them have have a few glaring differences in my experience) and being handsome (or beautiful in the case of women) does tend to give you a bit of an upperhand when it comes to dealing with other people (I'd agree with you on the point of humility however, I'm not a bad looking fellow but I still wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm handsome and awesome without some qualification behind it, hell, I'd probably be the first to try and say I don't fit those descriptions).

Anyway, I don't really understand what the point of being in a relationship is, at least at my stage in life (21-year-old college student). I love that feeling, when everything you're supposed to do is done, and you have a whole day to spend on yourself, doing whatever you want. I tend to begrudge anything or anyone that tries to take it away from me. And I especially resent it when people feel entitled to my free time. Of the few relationships I've started, they inevitably end because the girl wants to waste an entire day "just hanging out", and either I refuse and she gets pissed off, or I relent and end up thinking of her as a chore. Are all relationships like that? Am I just being uncompromising?
My vote on your little conundrum there would be the 'uncompromising' one (no offence intended). If you found that taking some time out to be with your girlfriend was a 'chore' to you then I'm guessing that you two probably shouldn't have been together in the firt place. Like I said previously, I spend as much time talking to my girlfriend as possible and I don't feel that any of it is a chore or cuts into my free time, I enjoy talking to her and I look foward to every oppertunity I get to hear her voice or see her, even if this means staying up all night and sleeping during the day (she lives in a different country so obviously I don't get to see her much at all, as you can guess this means I place a very high value on what interaction I get with her at all, trust me when I say that if I was asked by her to just spend the day hanging out I wouldn't pass on the oppertunity for any reason).

Based on how you consider spending time with others (especially your girlfriend) to be a 'waste of your time' or as someone 'trying to take your free-time and freedom away from you' I'm beginning to believe that you might be a tad more misanthroptic than simply introverted (and this is coming from someone who's extremely anti-social).

A lot of my friends are starting to get girlfriends/boyfriends, and when I ask them why, they say things such as "for the sex" or "it's like having a friend you can screw" or "it's so nice to have someone to cuddle and get affection from" or "someone to pick you up when you're feeling down" (here's a fun game: guess the genders of the speakers!). But I don't really feel the need for any of that. And I have a suspicion that's the key word: need. I have a theory that all relationships (romantic or otherwise) are formed on the basis of mutual need. And, being content on my own, I don't really feel the need for a girlfriend. But maybe that's just me rationalising my own failure to commit (as a pop psych women's mag dating columnist might say).
Sex, companionship, cuddling and emotional support are just some of the many reasons that people value and appreciate their relationships. Everyone has their own reasons for why they want to be with their partner, it doesn't always boil down to the raw urge to fuck each other's brains out or to have a giggle fest over movies, hell, some people don't even have a clear or easy to explain reason, they just love each other without anything in the way of a rational reason or common ground. Most relationships do result in both people getting something out of it (you both get attention, affection, the obvious physical of sex, cuddling and kisses, someone you can confide in and seek support from when things aren't going so well, someone to share your passions and interests with or even just someone who'll take the time to listen to you and understand you) but this doesn't nessercarily mean that the people involved are all needy and insecure in themselves.

There are people out there who do have a psychological need to qualify their existance through other people but that tends to not be very common and in my experience and research stems most often from cases of neglect and abuse, in which case it's hard to blame them for lacking any self worth.

What do you think? What's the point of being in a relationship? What do you gain out of it (or hope to gain out of it, if you're not in one)? And what do you lose out of it? Is it worth it?
I'd definately say it's worth it and that if you're happy with the person you're with then the benefits heavily outweigh the problems (consider how this is coming from someone in a long distance relationship, one of the hardest to maintain types of relationship out there).

However, not all people do need or want a relationship (again, you should only enter one because you feel an emotional and romantic attachment to a particular person, not just because everyone else is doing it) and there is nothing wrong with people who prefer to be on their own, it's just another choice among all the valid options out there.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I haven't been very lucky the people I fall for never like me back and the one guy who I didn't really like, but I gave a chance to, ended up hitting me all the time. He didn't like that I was depressed about my dad dying of cancer.

I like being alone but at the same time I get lonely and people think I'm wierd for not having a boyfriend or kids. My sister being the most popular woman I know doesn't really help people's expectations of me.
:(. Are you alright? I feel a hug is in order but that sounds awkward :/.

A lot of my friends are starting to get girlfriends/boyfriends, and when I ask them why, they say things such as "for the sex" or "it's like having a friend you can screw" or "it's so nice to have someone to cuddle and get affection from" or "someone to pick you up when you're feeling down" (here's a fun game: guess the genders of the speakers!). But I don't really feel the need for any of that. And I have a suspicion that's the key word: need. I have a theory that all relationships (romantic or otherwise) are formed on the basis of mutual need. And, being content on my own, I don't really feel the need for a girlfriend.
Your friends sound like shallow people to be honest. Though I think you've hit the nail on the head, my friend. Relationships do form out of some kind of mutual need. If people are content with their lives the way they are it's unlikely anything's going to happen, there's no impetus. There's no need for you to try to force yourself to enter a relationship if you don't want one. That just won't go any place healthy. But that could change before you even know it. Serendipity right? These things are kind of unpredictable. So just remain open to the possibility and you'll be healthy enough. I will say though that the best relationships are not the ones where you expect other people to do things for you. They're the ones where you meet somebody who you are happy to do things for. So many people enter relationships expecting someone else to "make" them happy. But that is a selfish thought and a full time job. A narcissistic hole that nobody can hope to fill in. When you find someone who makes you happy to make happy that is when you will be the happiest. I think your friends do not understand life very well when they say "it's someone to get affection from." as opposed to "someone to give affection to.". But I've talked too much and what's my damn two cents worth anyhow?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Ghengis John said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I haven't been very lucky the people I fall for never like me back and the one guy who I didn't really like, but I gave a chance to, ended up hitting me all the time. He didn't like that I was depressed about my dad dying of cancer.

I like being alone but at the same time I get lonely and people think I'm wierd for not having a boyfriend or kids. My sister being the most popular woman I know doesn't really help people's expectations of me.
:(. Are you alright? I feel a hug is in order but that sounds awkward :/.
I'm okay it was a long time ago now although reading that post back I did sound very emo lol.

Hugs are always welcome :3

As for the OP I would just say for him to get on with things love often finds you where you least expect it I guess. :p

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
crop52 said:
People are in relationships because they enjoy each others company.
For some people, when they get that feeling, when everything they're supposed to do is done, they choose to spend their time with other people, because they like spending time with other people.
2 posts in and the question's been answered for me.

I personally hate "down-time" spent sitting around. Having a girl/boyfriend creates good opportunities to do all sorts of fun stuff with someone that you can connect with. Not to mention that it just feels nice, coming straight from human evolution.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
When you think about it at a young age it's rather pointless but when you find the right person even if you don't plan on marrying them you can just enjoy the time together (sex optional)

duowolf

Mar 26, 2011
Hagi said:
I simply don't consider commitment a negative. It's something positive in my eyes.
I suppose it depends on how much you value being on your own. For me, having time to myself is a necessity: without it I go from happy to dull to depressed to insane. The less time I spend on my own, the less content and emotionally stable I feel. Being on my own charges up my social batteries, and having a girlfriend is like a constant drain on them. So, in that way, I find commitment to be a negative.

See I feel the same way about everyone else but my husband. He's the only person that doesn't put any strain on me or stress me out in anyway what so ever. Everyone else makes me stressed and social gatherings are a nightmare but being with him is like being alone if that makes any sense whatsoever.