What's your name's origin?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My name hail from German, French, and English. My name actually is form from two words like ruler, leader, king and strong, brave, court. This mean the name is a 'powerful leader' or 'King's Court'.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
My full name: Henry Isaac Anderson.

"Henry" came from my mom's love of one of the speeches in Henry V. "Isaac" was just because they thought "it's a cool name and all".

"Henry" apparently is descended from what ultimately means "ruler of the home"; "Isaac" means "laughter"; "Anderson" is from the Nordic patronymic naming system, meaning "son of Andrew".

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Michael-My dad's name is michael and there's an angel named michael
Anthony-Dad's middle name, seems to come from some saint
Robinson-My family surname, wiki says it means "Son of Robert"

If you haven't noticed it yet, I'm the "junior" while my dad is the "senior", but my birth certificate says I'm the second, so I go with that.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Scarim Coral said:
My name hail from German, French, and English. My name actually is form from two words like ruler, leader, king and strong, brave, court. This mean the name is a 'powerful leader' or 'King's Court'.
What, don't you have a Chinese name at all?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
SckizoBoy said:
Scarim Coral said:
What, don't you have a Chinese name at all?
I was referring to my first name (Richard). I do got a Chinese name which is my middle name but I don't know the exact origin to that name.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I don't think my parents named me after him, but I'm pretty sure Alexander comes from Alexander the Great. Means "Protector of Mankind" in Ancient Greek.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Scarim Coral said:
I'm was referring to my first name (Richard). I do got a Chinese name which is my middle name but I don't know the exact origin to that name.
Oh, so were you christened with just the one name (English-Chinese-surname)?

'cos me and my sisters had a weird circumstance as we were all christened with two separate sets of names, one in English, the other in Chinese (and we have the two birth certificates to prove it... strange).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
SckizoBoy said:
Scarim Coral said:
I'm was referring to my first name (Richard). I do got a Chinese name which is my middle name but I don't know the exact origin to that name.
Oh, so were you christened with just the one name (English-Chinese-surname)?

'cos me and my sisters had a weird circumstance as we were all christened with two separate sets of names, one in English, the other in Chinese (and we have the two birth certificates to prove it... strange).
Yup pretty much.
Wait how were you able to have two set of birth certificates in different names?

claymoreguy18

Jan 3, 2011
william is old germanic and basically means protector of a kingdom. as for my last name well your guess is as good as mine.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Derek, Old German. Meaning: "Power of the tribe" or "Ruler of the people". My parents named me it because they, um, liked it...

It's not a bad name.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
I'm named after an actor my mom loves. My middle name, Frank, was my grandfather's nickname. His real name was Epifano, but he hated it and made everyone call him Frank.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Scarim Coral said:
Yup pretty much.
Wait how were you able to have two set of birth certificates in different names?
I'm not entirely sure... legally, in the UK we have our English names, but in HK, we need all documentation under our Chinese names.

I think it was because in HK you do have two birth certificates (or one, just with two language sections, to specify pinyin name and English name). We were all born before the handover, so HK common law for this kind of thing was presumably permitted, but don't quote me on that.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
1st name: Hebrew; Son of my right hand, First born son.
Middle: Germanic; Brave, counsel
Surname: Son of John

if anyone can come up with what my name is I would be impressed.

Polarni

Oct 20, 2011
First name: Marko - warhammer, hammer; warrior of Mars
Surname: ?kevin - ... (I don't even want to go there)

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I was named "Jack" after my great grandfather on my mother's side who fought on the frontlines straight through WW1, was part of the homeguard in WW2, and died when my mother was twenty. My middle name "Donald", I originally thought my parents were just being dicks, but then it turned out it was to name me after my great grandfather on my dad's side, whose first name was John, and his middle name was Donald. "JD" became sort of the family nickname that surfaced every couple of generations. Scrubs has sort of ruined that for me though, but I vehemently stick with it.

My last name Binns is a very old name, as I'm descended from the Binns' who were lords in Yorkshire after all that norse stuff (so they were likely norse or norse descended, which went up to that business with the French in 1066, and they lost power.

And now you know my full name, please don't use crazy internet super powers to steal my identity and shit.

Edit: I ran "Jack" through a few translators. I translated the latin translation, which apparently meant "home". In Hebrew it means "supplanter". That fits, I guess. I am a British rogue, after all.

LiliumSnow

Jun 20, 2011
My parents named me after a girl I think my Dad knew (how nice...).
"Jacqueline" means "may God protect" or "supplanter". It's the French feminine form of Jacques, originating from the name "Jacob". Supplanter refers to (according to Dictionary.com) the act of taking someone's/thing's place by force or scheming.

...my name is so delightful :|