Whisky

Vryyk

Sep 27, 2010
Jim Beam is actually pretty good on the rocks for the price it's at, but Jameson or Gentleman's Jack are both great choices when I'm feeling spendy.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
I love whiskey. this is my new favorite thread.

i am a big fan of crown royal. but i like all regions they each have there own distinct style.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
Put me down for Glenlivet. I'll switch it up with Glenfiddich once in a while for its smokier flavor, though.

I prefer single malt but will go with Dimple from time to time.

Really dislike Johnny Walker anything. My intro to whiskey was JW Black and, needless to say, it completely turned me off. Dimple let me know there was actually decent whiskey out there and Glenlivet turned whiskey into one of my favorite drinks.

Sometimes I'll splash my whiskey with Drambuie if I'm in the mood for a sweeter taste without losing the whiskey flavor or to mask the flavor of really bad whiskey, like JW Black. Usually, though, I'll just have it on the rocks.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I prefer good old American-
[small]aren't they like the same thing? Sorry, I'm not too informed on Alcohol...[/small]

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
I've heard the Laphroaig quarter cask is fantastic but I can't find it where I live. Just goes to show what a quality cask can do. Age isn't the be all end all in quality.

Vryyk

Sep 27, 2010
Elect G-Max said:
Whiskey is shit. I'll take some vodka or gin any day.
I've got one for you then, I just concocted this in my blender five minutes ago on a whim. Mix ice, pineapple Skyy vodka, triple sec, a splash of rum, and strawberry margarita mix (like 2 bucks a bottle at wal-mart). I mixed it to be like 50% alcohol and it's still way tasty (and quite cheap). I just needed to share this with someone before I get drunk and pass out, thusly losing the recipe to the whims of eternity.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
A little info for those unfamiliar with whisky:

A single malt is a whisky with a mash made purly from malted barley and all components coming from the same distillery. Technically you could take two different expressions form the same distillery (example Ardbeg 10yr and Ardbeg Supernova) mix them together and still have a single malt.

A single grain whisky is a whisky coming from a single distillery with the mash being made of unmalted barley, wheat or corn (usually corn).

A blended malt is a whisky composed of single malts from various different distillerys. (example Johnny Walker green lable)

A blend whisky is a whisky composed of grain and malt whisky from various different distillerys. (example Chivas Regal everything else by Johnny Walker)

Chill Filtration is the process of molesting your product to cheat your customers and line your pockets. If a whisky's alcohol content is below 46%, its lipids will condensate (especially when chilled) and will make the whisky look cloudy. When a company chooses to dilute their product below 46% they will usually chill filter it to keep the product from looking cloudy. Unfortunately the removal of these lipids robs the whisky of a taste and texture. Look for non chill filtered products.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
I prefer good old American-
[small]aren't they like the same thing? Sorry, I'm not too informed on Alcohol...[/small]
Whiskey distilled in america is called bourbon, whilst "scotch" is whiskey distilled in Scotland. they are both "whiskey" and made in a similar fashion, but they are fundamentally different to the seasoned connoisseur in terms of taste.

I'm a solid glenfiddich fan if we're talking on the rocks. Dimple also is very nice.

If i'm having a few drinks with mates though, canadian club the standard and 12 yr old variety with coke, is very very nice

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I need to drink more whisky, I prefer it to pretty much any other alcoholic drink but most pubs I know only sell Jack Daniels (which I love) and is too expensive in shops.

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
Whiskey drinker reporting sir!

Johnny Walker Red label is my poison of choice.

That said, I'll drink anything...

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
I generally drink Old Crow.

I get some teasing for it because it's cheap, and it definitely is. But it tastes pretty smooth for a cheap bourbon, and I can mix it without fear that I'm ruining a high-quality whiskey.

Besides, if it's good enough for Barry Goldwater [http://www.thedrunkenconservatives.com/politicians/in-your-heart-you-know-hes-drunk], then by God it's good enough for me.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
karcentric said:
Whiskey drinker reporting sir!

Johnny Walker Red label is my poison of choice.

That said, I'll drink anything...
You really will drink anything:)

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
GonvilleBromhead said:
Tend to prefer the Islay malts myself (Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bunnahabhain, Bowmore), the the Old Pultenay is rather nice too
I´m with you, brother! My absosulte favourite is the Bruichladdich. My girlfriend gets me a bottle every year for my birthday. Only problem is that i never lasts a whole year.

Get some friends together, pour yourself some of your favourite whisky and chase it with some of this,

and you´re golden!

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Recently got on board the whisky bandwagon, and what a ride!

Highlands/Speyside single malts my preference at this stage, though I have a bit more of a preference for sweeter whiskey than your hardened scotch drinker.
My favourite: Glenmorangie nectar D'or

Though i am about halfway through an Aberlour A'bunadh at the moment and it is very interesting. Not what you'd call subtle...