Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Deathfish15 said:
So, let's try to pull context out of this:

1) Racial minority upset that development group said that "race doesn't matter" but stomps over that with "the character is white because it's relatable". ~~~~Yes, that is racially ignorant of the developers to say. Can't have it both ways, it's one or another: either race does matter because you're targeting a white audience, or race doesn't matter and the nothing is relatable at all, which means the character can be black/white/Latino/whatever.

2) Enter 3 challenged white, heterosexual males with an ignorant statement of being a "minority". And blame Obama for it as well ~~~~Last census in the US still showed 'whites' as the majority (though estimated to change by 2025). Furthermore, the lauding that sexuality or sex separate one's self within their own "racial group" is absurd. I guess this joke is created by the simple fact that white heterosexual males are threatened by female progressiveness, homosexuals, and minorities all at the same time. Funny because it's true. Also, Obama has nothing to do with it at all....just a scapegoat for them to blame self delusional issues on.

3) "Sup, baby. You 'mirin?" ~~~ An emphasis made to assert that these "lunks" only see females as sexual objects that admire their physical presence.

4) Friend Zone/Son Zone. ~~~ I honestly don't quite get the context of this joke. I'll throw a guess that "son" is the white Jersey version of saying "homie", where as "friend" is like in the context of a common word similar to that of Candians use - ex. "Hey, friend". Maybe I'm misunderstanding the joke because I'm not tied to the MTV sewage subculture? I hope that's the reason.

5) "Zimmerman Mode" ~~~ You really went there? Okay, this one has me baffled. I mean, the whole situation was a painful one, but it was a bunch of people yelling "racist" over a crazy man who thought a kid in a dark hoodie, going around the neighborhood late at night, was breaking into houses on his street. Paranoia kicked in and he stalked the hooded figure with a gun...got his ass kicked (don't deny it either, the police reported as such besides the images of him with bloody head wrappings), used said gun, and shot the kid. Zimmerman was Latino, not white...so that's why I'm lost on it's relation to this comic joke. The problem with the whole Zimmerman situation is that the parents of the kid (who couldn't bother fully explaining why their teenager was in that neighborhood, that late at night), as well as other figureheads ('Reverend' Jessie Jackson) were all trying to play the race card in a tragedy that seemed to be at fault of both parties without consideration of race pre-shooting.

Parts of the joke are lost in some context that I don't quite get, but the overall joke of "white heterosexual make 'lunks' are complete idiots" I did enjoy. Thank you.
The joke is that all the women in his life either put him in the "friend zone", or are his mother("Son zone").

That's what I make of it anyway, but your idea sounds neat too.

Once again, Great comic Cory and Grey! =w= b

quenlinlom

Sep 13, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
I don't know what to call this stuff Critical Miss has been doing, if it is "white knighting" or what, but I want it to stop and I want them to get back to making motherfucking video game comics. Can you do that please?

And I ain't even white.
It won't happen. It'll go the same route as SinFest has.

That's the trend nowadays.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Amir Kondori said:
I don't know what to call this stuff Critical Miss has been doing, if it is "white knighting" or what, but I want it to stop and I want them to get back to making motherfucking video game comics. Can you do that please?

And I ain't even white.
th3dark3rsh33p said:
This comic does a complete 360 in hating reactionary extremists and flies directly around into being smug and condescending in the same fashion as said reactionary extremists.

Like is that the joke? Can we not excessively push hot button issues on the escapist for views anymore?

Oh well... I suppose I should just stop reading these. They've just turned into another echo chamber on the escapist for the author to get up on a soap box every week and spout how great they are for having a political belief, ad nauseam.

kk... Done with Critical Miss too now.
I'll second these... I- I think I'm done here. Lately it's been nothing but flamebait, and not even good flamebait. I'm not even sure what if what I just saw was real or not... did someone SERIOUSLY just use the line "ZIMMERMAN MODE! ACTIVATE!" before murdering an african american man in a comic on this site? Seriously? Is next week's comic going to have caricatures of Putin and Assad leaning over a red line gassing children with Sarin or something whilst sexualizing a female victim, just to inspire intelligent discourse on the forum?

Will the last person out make sure to turn off the light, please?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Guys, in case you haven't gotten the joke (Which is fair enough, the comic is pretty bizarre I had to read it a couple of times to figure it out) , it's more or less that a lot of people seemed to be more concerned about false accusations of racism than actual racism...you gotta admit it kinda has a point there.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
zerragonoss said:
itsthesheppy said:
This comic was glorious. Maybe the best one they've done yet.

It made me euphoric.

And that's speaking as an atheist brony who frequents video game message boards.

But I will never wear a fedora.
You seem reasonable, I will ask you what does the atheist have anything to do with this comic? I see no religious or anti-religious iconography, or speech on/from any of these characters.
Nothing really. Fedoras have some loose link with Atheism which spawned from the internet meme factories. It has no real world meaning. The "Omega" character is wearing a fedora and is represented as the meme shows it. Just google "Fedora Atheist Intelligent" (or just "Fedora Atheist") and you should get some macro images that explain the meme more. But don't expect something enlightening.

It's made to be a bigger phenomena then it actually is, as is the case with all artificially inflated memes. Some people take it too seriously though.

Again, it has no relevance to the comic, just some people will infer that it does because of said Meme.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
You ... you ... managed a Trayvon Martin joke without it being too offensive... you.. I don't know... I don't know...

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Whoops, I think I may have just quoted myself. That's a boo-boo. I'll just add that, regardless of whether or not there is some higher message or humor here I'm missing- I'm going to play the "too soon" card here, but please don't have me comedically murdered by a recent tragic event for the lulz.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Twenty Ninjas said:
Why should I equate "black" with "default" then?
The complaint is that the games industry equates "black protagonist" with "utterly nonexistent". So no, flipping the races doesn't work for your argument.
Twenty Ninjas said:
That can't be. Ethnocentrism is a crime!

And crime is for black people.
I'm sorry, I missed the point where anyone suggested that this was criminal intent and not simple racism. If Free Speech protects people like Westboro, it certainly protects the far lesser offense of unconscious racism. But please, do share more strawman sarcasm.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, today's comic is , uh, hmm.
These guys don't care if they get fired, do they?
Griffolion said:
Loving the MLP and Deus Ex references. That's all for this topic, staying well away from here.
What Deus Ex reference?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
quenlinlom said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Could you please make as many of these as possible? They're entertaining.
I didn't make them. Three 4chan boards are currently engaging in editing them: /pol/, /v/, and /fit/.

I couldn't post most of them because The Escapist isn't really a place of unmoderated pure free speech.
Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want without consequences. That's why they make laws about yelling "Fire!" in theaters.

If you love 4chan so much, please go back there.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Following a suspicious person is "provoking a confrontation" now? Come on, Funk, The guy was Captain of the neighborhood watch - it was his job to follow people he suspected were up to no good.
No. It really isn't. It's his job to report suspicious people to the police.
As it stands, he didn't do anything unlawful by following him around. In addition, he was trying to find the address he was going to, and give to the police. I strongly think he acted with good intentions, and just wanted to make sure nothing happened (given that he thought Martin was on drugs at the time, and saw him reaching into his waist-band)