Why do you hate Skyrim?

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
You know what's funny? I don't. It's a great game that has some minor flaws that are overshadowed by awesomeness. I have loads of fun with it, and that's all I can ask for in a game.

Actually, I don't see how people can HATE a game. Dislike it? Sure. Not enjoy it? Sure. I just can't find the worth in passionately disliking to the point of disgust being applied to a game.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
From another thread I was in,

I've played one character, since midnight launch, at least 10 hours a day. Sometimes more.

I've completed 3 main story missions, a few of the Companion quests, and the rest is just good, solid, adventuring.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This game is a toolbox. A DM's adventure for one. If you can role-play, and enjoy it, then you'll enjoy Skyrim. If you've been ruined by linear or MMO rpg's, you will not enjoy it. If you plow through the main quest, you will be dissapointed (and cheating yourself).

Here's a test.

When overhearing a conversation that will surely start a quest, do you

A. Listen intently, weighing your characters intent to get involved or not, then do the quest, reading all material that comes with it, paying attention to all the small details about the story of said quest in a dungeon, then feel pride when you've put the story to rest, returning for a reward for a job well done.

B. Initiate dialogue before the quest giver finishes expositing, then mash A repeatedly until you get the quest marker, then plow to it, killing everything, reading or observing nothing subtle such as telling the story through dungeon design, only to finally return, disappointed that you didn't get enough loot or that this small, personal story didn't affect your world or main story drastically.

If you answered A, cool. Skyrim's for you. If you answered B, then you should probably just stick to Gears of War or Uncharted or another action game that's over in 8 hours and shoves everything you need to know to do it in your face.
Let's proceed to the post directly under you....
Fanfic_warper said:
It's just too much for a game. I prefer my games to be deep but simple. You don't need a vast continent to explore to have a good game.
Hahaha! It's like you guys messaged each other to time this perfectly.

OT: I hated Skyrim before it came out. Absolutely hated it. I was sick of hearing about it and couldn't stand the proclaiming of it being "Game of the Year". To me, it looked like a decent RPG that didn't deserve the soft stroking it got everywhere.

Out of boredom, I picked it up.

I was wrong, oh so very wrong...

Anyways, no hate. I've blown off sex for this game. The only hate involved is buried deep inside my skewed prerogatives.

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
I don't particularly dislike Skyrim as a whole, just a couple of annoyances...

Mage seems severely underpowered, especially when you're having to use 2-3 dual-casted firebolts to kill a normal bandit, let alone Bandit Chief. Every time I come across a chief, it's a case of letting Lydia and my horse kill it, because it's takes so fucking long to do it myself.

And then we have the issue of the possibly overpowered Conjurations. Flame Atronarch, on the same bandits? Oneshots, all the way home. Bandit Chief? Oneshot. Fuck you Bethesda, at least try to balance things, or work out some scaling.

Then there's the random crashes to desktop. Yes, they're going to be patched, but you'd at least think they'd be pushing that for the first patch, not planning them for 1.3-1.4.

Oh, and there's also the whole having to spend £700 upgrading my PC, because Skyrim ate my last one. (but I'm not bitter. Dell had an immense sale on at the time. 53% off my chosen model? Why, yes, I believe you can have some of my money.)

So in summary. No, I don't hate Skyrim. I just don't think it's the ambrosia that others seem to believe it is. And yes, I'm only about 10 hours in, because I have shit to do around the house.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I have seen a thread a while ago where someone thuroughly complained about how Skyrim wasn't Oblivion. They exist, people do hate this game, and for unknown reasons they continue to hate it despite the fact they don't even want to play it.

I do not hate this game. It is infact one of the best games I have ever played. A game that can have me coming back again and again without a mod speaks for itself (Until I get the GoTY or Ulti Edition for PC, than the Mods shall come).

The only thing I dislike is people bitching about how they can no longer cast a spell while holding a shield and a sword, instead of accepting the realism of it all - THAT annoys me (Because truthfully I didn't feel like an actual hero when both my hands were full and I could still shoot death rays in Oblivion).

My Rational Thought? Blame the consumor for being stupid (if they are).

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
this isnt my name said:
AstylahAthrys said:
You know what's funny? I don't. It's a great game that has some minor flaws that are overshadowed by awesomeness. I have loads of fun with it, and that's all I can ask for in a game.

Actually, I don't see how people can HATE a game. Dislike it? Sure. Not enjoy it? Sure. I just can't find the worth in passionately disliking to the point of disgust being applied to a game.
Gamebreaking bugs are minor flws ? Please because of fanboys Bethesda get away with this shit, the moddes fix the game. Bethsda just keeps seeing how low it can setthe bar and still get praised for it. I expect fallout 4 to be even buggier, ecause the standard syrim is at itstill gets people calling it awesome GoTY worthy.
I experienced more game breaking bugs in the new Assassin's Creed game. I don't know if everyone I know and I have been lucky, but any bugs we've encountered have been fixed by reloading a save, or been so minute that it doesn't matter. With a game as huge as Skyrim, I can forgive a few things wrong when so much else is right.

Also arguments are made better when they're not filled with typos.

It's a universal truth of the internet, so go on having fun hating a game, if that's how you get your kicks.

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
Hate the game? No. Sick of hearing about it? Yes.

The amount of hype leading up to its release was ridiculous, so much so that it went from a game I was ambivalent about to a game that I have no desire to play.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
TheGauntman said:

The amount of hype leading up to its release was ridiculous, so much so that it went from a game I was ambivalent about to a game that I have no desire to play.
It's a shame that happened. Skryim is fun, but I can totally see why if you didn't care about the game the hype would kill it for you. I was starting to get sick of seeing it everywhere after awhile, and I was stoked for the game to come out. When someone who is a fan is thinking "We need to merge some of these Skyrim threads, there are too many," than the hype is a bit too much. It's such a bizarre reason to not want to play a game and at face value seems like it would have no merit, but I completely understand it, and can relate to it.

Svane

Aug 20, 2011
Instant K4rma said:
So far, I have only one complaint, and that is the fact that enemies can perform execution finishers. In Morrowind and Oblivion, if you got low health, you have a chance to back up and heal. In Skyrim, if you get to a staggeringly low amount of health, there's a good chance you'll be frozen in place on the spot for an enemy's finisher, giving you no chance to dodge their attack, no chance to evade them and heal, etc. Nothing frustrates me more.
Yeah, this is very frustrating! When suddenly dragons became stronger due to level scale on my mage-character, they could hit me one time and I was down to some 50% health and suddenly I'd be frozen in place, while the dragon slowly walks up to me and suddenly eats me, without being able to do anything at all... That just ain't fun or fair.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
There's frustrations.
Say I got bored of archery so tried daggers. Daggers don't work well with no points in 1her on level 38 enemies.

Skyrim is fine. It's a good game. It's more immersion than Oblivion. Though not immersion enough for me to want to repeatedly do the job quests in any guilds.

Main quest felt
a bit short and was quite anti climatic. They just states what happens now and pretty much says: "Go and fuck off and do shit"

Side quests are interesting if you actually want to do them. No point forcing yourself to do them if you don't want to do them.

I'm not slaving my life to playing it 24/7 because I'm older and I have a wish to do activities in moderation.

I dislike the inventory UI.It should have kept the spreadsheet layout where it listed several items at once with their data in different columns to the right.
There's a bug where it's impossible to dual wield two daggers of the same kind via the favourite menu.

It annoys me that you cannot cast spells while dual wielding/got a shield and weapon because it dents hybrid options. There's the favourite system but that some-what breaks the flow of combat. It's like using Pause a lot in Dragon Age. I don't see the logic denying the use of weaponry while casting. Perhaps the weapons acts as a vessel to cast the spell. It's like saying holding a staff ought to prevent spell casting. However on the flip side it's nice being able to 'equip' spells. However this does reduce the amount of spells you'd want in your arsenal. Say if you're a mage that invests in debuffs and buffs and offensive damage spells then it's a nightmare to juggle everything. Oblivion solved this by hot keys.

Every game has flaws or philosophies of design you disagree with. Doesn't prevent it from being a good game.Just means it's annoying sometimes.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Listen, OP. The internet is positively infested with Skyrim-banter right now, each thread more pointless than the last one ("what's your favourite Skyrim in Skyrim? Mine's Skyrim! Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim! I'm naming my firstborn Skyrim, after my dog, who is also called Skyrim.")

But goddamn, your thread takes the cake.

We don't hate Skyrim. We hate its fucking fanboys who go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it.

I don't like Skyrim, I don't like Bethesda games in general. I would like to just ignore it, and play something else, but you podpeople won't let me.

If the game's so good, why are you so busy bothering the internet about it, instead of just playing it continuously and dying of malnutrition?

Fuck.

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
Tin Man said:
I don't hate Skyrim, I just honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a bethesda game, it's the biggest and buggiest one yet, and like all Bethesda games gives you absolutely no sense of progression or achievement outside of making small numbers go big. I get wound up by Skyim fans' refusal to shut the hell up about how they think their game is the best thing since fucking jesus, and this of course means that the large number of fantastic, creative and well put together games that have been released this year are going to get overshadowed at pretty much every award thing ever.

Also, not everyone has even played Skyrim. Modern Warfare 3 outsold it something like 3:1.

Why do you hate MW3?

TheGauntman said:

Also, this. What an awesome first post sir!
Thanks. Long-time lurker, first time poster.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Tin Man said:
King of the Sandbox said:
If you've been ruined by linear or MMO rpg's, you will not enjoy it.
I like you Sandbox, and this may have been my response the first time you wrote this I'm not sure, but this is an a bit of an out of line thing to say. It makes it sound like your argument is that the ONLY reason you can think of for someone not really liking your game of choice is that they have been 'ruined' by lesser RPGs. Poor form.
Ruined may have been the wrong idea... perhaps I should have said "if your preferred style of RPG is linear or MMO..."

Also, I like you, too.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
I love Skyrim and Morrowind because they are both so different and are not like Oblivion.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
It's just not that fun. I've played it for a long time, over 50 hours and I've had more fun than all that time playing three hours of my Trine 2 that I just bought today. And there's no reason to keep playing it. Once you realize that the developers just kept adding as many random quests as possible to bulk out the game, you start to notice how the thing simply fails to fit together as a cohesive game. It doesn't take long to experience everything Skyrim has to offer - probably less than most linear games out there. The other hundreds of hours of playtime is made up by repeating those things over and over again. If you find THAT fun, you ought to get tested.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
There are plenty of valid reasons to hate this game. A lot of what Skyrim does is just sub-par compared to gaming standards this generation.

- The combat plays like it's 10 years old with almost no sense of excitement
- Challenge comes from enemies having more hp as their tactics never change
- Enemy AI is predictable and idiotic
- There are very few reactions to what is going on in the world causing immersion to be lost very easily.
- The UI is playable but not intuitive and sometimes annoying
- The game as I understand can become almost unplayable after enough hours on the PS3
- Level scaling has improved but still feels like a grind in the late game
- There is almost no attachment to characters in the game
- The story, while acceptable, seldom becomes gripping or truly interesting to play through. My main exception to this was the Dark Brotherhood which I loved.

I take the opposite approach in that I'm actually surprised a lot of people don't vocally hate this game. Prior TES fans included. This is a game that refuses to evolve into current generation gaming and feels like a solid expansion to Oblivion.

All the above being said though, I've put 80 hours in the game and intend to play more. The game disappoints on its potential, but the overall experience is still fun enough to keep me playing.