Why don't you play games on PC?

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
Brixton6 said:
I almost exclusively play games on the PC, however I love consoles for games where precise movement is a necessity (Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia). I'm perfectly comfortable using a mouse and keyboard or a controller, but it's hard to make precise jumps with only 4 directions available. I have a couple non-PC releases for my 360 (Reach, Red Dead Redemption) too.
Assasin's Creed on PC does not support analog movement? Weird. Can't blame ya for playing it on a console then.

Brixton6

Mar 30, 2012
TorqueConverter said:
Brixton6 said:
I almost exclusively play games on the PC, however I love consoles for games where precise movement is a necessity (Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia). I'm perfectly comfortable using a mouse and keyboard or a controller, but it's hard to make precise jumps with only 4 directions available. I have a couple non-PC releases for my 360 (Reach, Red Dead Redemption) too.
Assasin's Creed on PC does not support analog movement? Weird. Can't blame ya for playing it on a console then.
It does, but I don't like using a controller with my computer. It's a comfort issue. Since my gaming computer is a laptop, I would essentially have to rest my hands on the keyboard itself. I can't get far enough away from it for my arms to be comfortable. Besides that, my Logitech controller is about 6 years old, barely functioning after I've spilled various carbonated drinks on it, and I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
ph0b0s123 said:
Groan....
Oh look, you came back!

First of you are confusing Speech Marks for Quote Marks. "you can't game on a PC because you can't use a controller" was the original sentiment I was disagreeing with in my first post. "you can't game on a PC because controllers are not the main controller." was paraphrasing the following
LiquidSolstice said:
because PC games are not made with a controller as the main control device.
Yes, I said "not the main", not "don't exist at all therefore rendering it impossible to game on a PC because you can't use a controller". You "paraphrased" something I said into something I did not say.

In fact, it's almost like an unintentional strawman; you being so convinced you know what I'm trying to say that you've managed to misconstrue what I've said and are attacking that instead.

Now as to the reason you are a massive tool. In all my previous posts, as far as I am aware, my tone was civil. Yours from the get go was aggressive, insulting and abusive. What ever good points you made were unfortunately outweighed by that doochy tone. Out of the two of us, I have no problems with the maturity of what I have posted so far. Have a look back at what you have posted and think if you can honestly say the same.
Oh no. I hope your feelings aren't too hurt. Protop: in the world of logic, nothing outweighs facts, but that's a nice way to dodge facts you've made up. "outweighed by a doochy[sic] tone", how hilarious.

Conversation finished.....
You mean like it was finished last time that you said it was? Wheres a :rollseyes: emoticon when you need it? I'll still be waiting for you to reply to me. The whole "okay, this is gonna be my last post here because you're hopeless" approach doesn't work if you keep replying...

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
I have a PC... several, in fact. I use PCs for about 99.99% of my gaming. I grew up with PC gaming. I've gotten used to how it all works for years. I didn't get a console 'till I was 17. I see a lot of you up there don't like the controls for PC. Well, I'm not a big fan of controls for a console, myself. I'm much more comfortable making my character walk around with the arrow keys than the left analog stick. And when it comes to first-person shooters, you may take the right analog stick to aim if you want it. I'll stick with the mouse, since that's just what I'm used to.

Also, PCs end up being a lot more powerful, as they get new releases constantly. Consoles, on the other hand, get an update once every five years or so. Also, PC games are cheaper and easier to make, because they are being developed on the same hardware they're designed to be played on. On top of that, PCs are generally better with backwards compatibility. Also, some PC games will play their entire soundtrack for you if you stick them in a CD player. Very few, but it's noteworthy.

I have nothing against console gaming. I'm just better at playing with a PC. When I play multiplayer with someone on a console, I often fail. But, when I go on PC... man... I often dominate. Now, with Sony releasing all of these HD re-releases of some older games (most of which I really want to play) I am feeling much more interested in going out and buying a PlayStation 3. I like both. I'm just much more used to one than I am the other. I'll get back to you (I hope) after I've become more well-versed in consoles. I don't have as much experience with them as most of you do. So, I'll leave more of the console points to those that know a whole lot more about them than I do. I'll just use what I know and let those who know what I don't know show what they know for us all to know, you know?

somepeopleperson

Oct 24, 2011
I play alot of the smaller indie games like treasure adventure game, and some of the classics like beneath a steel sky. I don't play any of the bigger, mainstream games because my computer is the epitomy of ass. As in, the "my computer can't even run minecraft on all the worst graphics settings" kind of ass. But anything less than, say, a couple gigabits works just fine.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I did when I was younger and had a better rig for the games at the time. Upgraded it around 03/04 for the likes of Half Life 2 and later Battlefield 2.

But then I had things like college and living on my own to consider. Even before my gaming computer crashed, I couldnt really keep up with the tech requirements for the games that were coming out. Got into consoles instead. Just made things easier, overall. Though I do admit that I miss the control scheme. Content with what I have and the money Im spending on my gaming hobby.

Got a new laptop on sale with an additional discount, capable of running some games. Been able to keep up with things like Minecraft, StarCraft II and any other game I could run on low settings. Definitely use my consoles more, though. Still feel like it preserves a bit of my childhood, playing SNES then, all the way through the generations to my PS3 & 360. That and this way I got Red Dead Redemption :) Best game I've played in a long time.

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
My computer has no where near the ability to run most games (Even TF2 barely works on this thing) and my aim goes from fairly good to absolutely abysmal when transitioning from an controller to a keyboard

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
-Dont wanna spend a grand on a high end one

-Dont really have the know-how to build one

-I like to kick my legs up and be able to relax on a couch - and to the people saying you can do that with a pc, I say.. No, You cant,because you'd have to sit in a pretty tedious position to be able to use a mouse and keyboard..and to those about to say you can use a joypad on pc..no, most of the time you cant do that either..

-In the past 10 years ive gone through about 4 pcs, They all had up to date virus protection and all that crap, Ive only ever had one xbox which I got in 2005 and its given me hundreds upon hundreds of hastle-free entertainment since.

In conclusion im lazy and I just want to play games and not bother with keeping specs upto date,Compatability,Crappy Console to PC ports,Framerate,DRM and all that stuff just for better graphics..and mods, gota give credit for those

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I already play PC
full backwards compatibility regardless of OS
mod support
free multiplayer
option to switch between Xbox 360 controller and keyboard+mouse setup
upgradebility
customization
homebrew support

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
TorqueConverter said:
It's not fair to compare a PC to a console. It's impossible to determine which system is superior as two platforms are not even remotely suited for comparison.
Why? Because you say they aren't? Well I say they are. And unlike you I'm going to justify my opinion. I can, because I have arguments.

You use consoles for the same purpose you use a gaming PC. Consoles run on similar hardware, they have CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD. Consoles use controllers that PCs can use. You hook up a console to a TV. Again, you can do that on PC. So what is stopping you from comparing the two? The fact that consoles aren't PC's and PC's aren't consoles? You can't be serious.
TorqueConverter said:
In order for one platform to superior to the other, there must be a comparison between the two. How else could one come to the conclusion that one platform is superior to the other? The comparison is invalid therefore neither system is superior. There isn't even a baseline for "the PC" to even form the beginnings of a comparison.
Once again we have a case of someone who doesn't know what a comparison is. It seems that people only want to compare two things if they are completely the same. There is no reason to compare same things. The differences between things is the reason for their comparison. That's the whole point of comparing things. And these two can definitely be compared. Combine their hardware similarities with their primary purpose and you have a perfect reason to compare them.

I want a direct answer. Why do you think the comparison is invalid? What argument do you have to support that claim? Because for some reason you failed to mention the actual reason why the comparison is invalid. You just said it is without justifying your own opinion.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Strain42 said:
If you don't play PC games, why?
A few people have probably beaten me to the punch on these, but since you asked:

(1) Because playing a game with an input device originally designed for typing letters rather than game-playing has always been clumsy and awkward, at least to me, and

(2) Because I can't afford to buy a load of new computer parts every time a new game comes out.

That second thing, in particular, is by far the biggest reason I've stuck with consoles: all I have to do is turn them on, put the disk in, and play. I guess I'll have to find a way to afford more PC games, though, if some of the crap I've heard about the next-gen consoles turns out to be true...
Why would you need to upgrade... your PC each time. If it's made for the console too then you shouldn't need to upgrade it. The console hasn't been upgraded for a while. Most the PC exclusives don't seem that graphic intense... and even then, you can turn the graphics down.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I do :D

But I'll change the question around and give reasons why I hardly play on my consoles despite having tons of games for the 360 and PS2 (and just 2 for PS3).

Probably the lack of any cheats and what I consider to be a lacklustre control scheme, as well having some really boring games:

The games I have completed from all 3 consoles: Gears of War, Fable 2, Ghost Recon 1, Ghost Recon 2, MGS2, MGS3, PGR4, MGS4. That is out of a total of...60 or so games.

I'm not bashing consoles in the slightest. It's just my personal preference to game on PC.

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Why? Because you say they aren't? Well I say they are. And unlike you I'm going to justify my opinion. I can, because I have arguments.
Common sense is why.

You use consoles for the same purpose you use a gaming PC. Consoles run on similar hardware, they have CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD. Consoles use controllers that PCs can use. You hook up a console to a TV. Again, you can do that on PC. So what is stopping you from comparing the two? The fact that consoles aren't PC's and PC's aren't consoles? You can't be serious.
That a very weak argument. To say a game console and gaming PC are used for the same purpose and therefore comparable is to say a Mustang GT and Ferrari 458 are used for same purposes and as a result, are comparable automobiles. Mustang has wheels and an engine right?

You don't suggest we compare two things that are not comparable, do you? For real?

Also, what baseline for "gaming PC" are we going to use here? Low end, mid range or high end hardware?

For "gaming PC" and a game console to be comparable one must be able to recommend once system over the other. Can you honestly tell someone looking to purchase an Xbox 360 to get a gaming PC instead? What about someone looking into buying a high end gaming PC? Are you going to tell them to get a console?

Once again we have a case of someone who doesn't know what a comparison is. It seems that people only want to compare two things if they are completely the same. There is no reason to compare same things. The differences between things is the reason for their comparison. That's the whole point of comparing things. And these two can definitely be compared. Combine their hardware similarities with their primary purpose and you have a perfect reason to compare them.
A comparison between an Xbox 360 and PS3 would be valid. I believe you fail to understand the the purpose of comparing two things. You don't do it for shits and giggles or to stroke your ego.

You compare two similar items so as to come to the conclusion of which item is superior or is closest to your preferences. No one looking at dropping over $1000 on a gaming PC is going to be persuaded to purchase a Xbox 360 instead. No one looking at purchasing a PS3 is going to be persuaded to purchase a $1000+ high end gaming rig over the PS3.

Only an ill informed consumer unaware to the existence of gaming PCs until someone slapped them over the head with one, will turn away from purchasing a game console in favor of a gaming PC. "Oh those things exist? Wow, why was I looking at this PS3 then? This is exactly what I want!"

I want a direct answer. Why do you think the comparison is invalid? What argument do you have to support that claim? Because for some reason you failed to mention the actual reason why the comparison is invalid. You just said it is without justifying your own opinion.
You don't compare apples to oranges. Have you not heard this before? There is a reason why game consoles have not replaced the gaming PC or vice versa. They can't. The two platforms are not similar enough to do so. You don't compare two things that are not comparable. To do so would be asinine.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Hunter65416 said:
-Dont wanna spend a grand on a high end one

-Dont really have the know-how to build one

-I like to kick my legs up and be able to relax on a couch - and to the people saying you can do that with a pc, I say.. No, You cant,because you'd have to sit in a pretty tedious position to be able to use a mouse and keyboard..and to those about to say you can use a joypad on pc..no, most of the time you cant do that either..

-In the past 10 years ive gone through about 4 pcs, They all had up to date virus protection and all that crap, Ive only ever had one xbox which I got in 2005 and its given me hundreds upon hundreds of hastle-free entertainment since.

In conclusion im lazy and I just want to play games and not bother with keeping specs upto date,Compatability,Crappy Console to PC ports,Framerate,DRM and all that stuff just for better graphics..and mods, gota give credit for those
1. Then pay 500 dollars for a pretty decent one

2. It's easy. Doesn't take much extra know-how. Just research a bit.

3. Most of the time you CAN do that. The majority of games do support 360 input. If they don't, you can map the controls. PS3 controllers can easily be mapped to 360 controllers so you don't require any extra dongles.

4. You won't go through so many PCs if you take care of them.

The majority of crappy console to PC ports are indeed still superior on PC, though not as good as they could be. Frame rate is definitely hire on PC if you use a decent GPU (as low as 70-100 dollars will beat out current console GPUs by a lot). DRM is a problem but downloadable console games aren't without DRM.

But yeah, consoles are more convenient for people who don't really know much about electronics and computers n stuff. However, if you do, there really isn't a reason to not get a decent gaming PC.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I play PC games when they're relevant to my interests. Which is rare. As I'm not a huge wRPG fan, and I like first person shooters even less(have you noticed my unenjoyment of this forum section being dominated by wRPG talk? I have more fun in the non-gaming sections of this video game site, and I love video games).

When I think of what I love in PC gaming, I think of the fact of things like emulation. So that I can play the console games I love on it. And that I spend all my time on the PC due to internet addiction. And that I love the indie gaming community and games, especially the doujin community. Seriously, nothing makes me happier than discovering an obscure doujin game I've never heard of. I get a lot of the same feeling about a lot of Western indie games of course too, though. Like Noitu Love. Go play Noitu Love right now.

If a game I care about comes out on the PC and isn't a vastly inferior version, I'll buy it. But that's rare, because computers tend to get all the multiplatformers I seriously don't care about and never touch on the console. And if I have any remote interest in those titles, I get the PC version.

Because I'm always on the PC and it's better to be gaming on the platform I'm on the most.

But my favourite genres are jRPGs, Scrolling shooters, Platformers, and Fighting games. I'm a Nintendo nut, Namco nut, Atlus nut, and Nippon Ichi nut. None of these genres or companies are super friendly with the PC platform. I also hate video gaming on a keyboard.

The ironic thing, is that I play loads of games on the PC, but am not anywhere close to being a "PC gamer".