Why Keep Your Wallet In Your Back Pocket?

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
I don't keep anything in my back pockets. Everything I carry goes into either my front pockets or my jumper pockets.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
My keys and phone are in one, my iPod in the other. If I put my wallet with either it becomes difficult to get things out of my pocket quickly, so I use my back pocket.

If I'm wearing a coat or have a bag though, I don't use my back pockets for anything but receipts and wrappers. Coat internal pockets are great.

Sep 14, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I just find it weird. Every other guy I know keeps their wallets in their back pockets. I don't understand this logic. It makes them easier to steal, since pickpockets hit your blind spots, and it is uncomfortable to sit on.

I've always kept my wallet in my front pocket so it is more comfortable to sit down on a bus or a chair, and I usually walk with my hands in my pockets, so I can hold it and know it is still there.

So yeah, weird quirk of mine I guess. Anyone else do the same? Any other social norms that you find crazy?
nope, being the absolute volcano that i am (i am always fucking hot, i only wear jeans when it gets below zero) i always wear kacki shorts for the most part, so i always stick it in my side pocket down low with it buttoned up, so good luck stealing that for one thing, and its the most comfortable because its on the side so i don't have to worry about it at all.

otherwise, yeah i agree, backpocket fucking sucks, so damn uncomfortable.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Wallet goes in the back pocket because it doesn't slip out.

Anything in my front pockets can slide right out if I lay down. Back pocket is very secure.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've always put my wallet in my front right pocket, so I can feel it's there. I put my phone in my back pocket.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
easy to steal? maby if you had no nerve ending in your ass, i keep in in my back pocket because its easy to whip out and keeps my front pockets free and it doesn't feel awkward.

one guy did try to steal my wallet but like most people i felt it turned around and upper cutted that son of a *****.

y04coopa

Apr 25, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
I just find it weird. Every other guy I know keeps their wallets in their back pockets. I don't understand this logic. It makes them easier to steal, since pickpockets hit your blind spots, and it is uncomfortable to sit on.

I've always kept my wallet in my front pocket so it is more comfortable to sit down on a bus or a chair, and I usually walk with my hands in my pockets, so I can hold it and know it is still there.

So yeah, weird quirk of mine I guess. Anyone else do the same? Any other social norms that you find crazy?
I have that exact same mind set as you on this subject. back pocket = stupid.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I do it because it's better on my ass =P
seriously, have you ever sat down with your keys or your phone in your back pocket?
ain't fun times

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
I keep my wallet in my back pocket because my phone and keys go in my right and left pockets, respectively.

If I'm sitting down and it's uncomfortable, I'll just sit it on the table or wherever. It'd be too bulky with my phone or keys.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
thiosk said:
I must maintain physical contact with three items: keys, wallet, cellphone-- in my front pockets. I cannot put them in my bookbag as I panic continously that I have lost one of these three critical items.
This, exactly this. Well, plus my oyster card holder that matches my wallet but otherwise I'm constantly checking to see if I have those 4 items. I decided I'd try moving my phone to a holder on my rucksack the other week so that I could use those microphone headphones to answer calls and within 5 mins I subconsciously did my check to see if I had my wallet etc in my pockets and panicked that I lost my phone, only to then remember that it was in my bag.

Wallet in a back pocket? Never ever seen anyone do that, must be a North American thing. Besides the obvious pickpocketing and seating issues, the main issue I'd have is the fact that I'm constantly checking my pockets to make sure I have my wallet, phone etc would mean that I would be constantly feeling my ass, which may give the wrong impression to some people

Rems

May 29, 2011
Weird, i keep it in my front pocket, which everyone i know does too and what i assumed was the norm. The back pocket is a terrible place for it. I usually keep a hankie in my back pocket.

I will admit though my pockets can get crowded with wallet, keys and phones, especially in tight jeans.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Whenever people bring this up, they neglect to consider that there are factors beyond sitting comfort and protection.

This also depends on wallet and pocket size, what else you're carrying, and even style of pants.

There's the immediate question of whether the wallet will even fit in the front pocket - even large pockets sometimes have weirdly-angled openings that make dealing with a wallet difficult. Back pockets tend to be less narrow and virtually always have a simple horizontal opening.

Men tend to carry a lot of items in pockets - you probably have keys, maybe a pen, and, increasingly often, a bulky smartphone. All of those things are considerably less comfortable to sit on than a fairly flat object that comforms to the shape of your ass over time.

And some styles of pants just look stupid with a wallet in the front pocket. If you're wearing tighter pants, for instance, you're going to have a big blocky bulge in your leg.

Also, getting pick-pocketed is fairly rare in most of the United States. Even in places where it's more common, it's more tourists than natives and you learn what to watch out for anyway. And if you're going somewhere sketchy, you always have the option of just switching it to a front pocket. Most people probably spend most of their time in places that they're not so worried about being pick-pocketed though.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Left pocket: wallet
Right pocket: keys, mechanical pencil, if necessary cell phone
Back pockets: never use

I've never had a problem with my front pockets, and I find putting anything in the back pockets extremely uncomfortable. But if other people feel differently I'm not going to think less of them.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
I keep my wallet in my front pocket. My ass is big enough, I don't need something else to accentuate it.

Keep my wallet and keys on my left front pocket and my cell on my right.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Yeah...never understood this either. Tried putting it in my back pocket before but damn is it uncomfortable. I'm used to putting it in my right pocket. Plus it balances out my phone in my left pocket. Also, is it really that hard to find keys in your pocket? I usually put extra stuff in the pocket with my phone since it'd be easier to find.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Mutilator7 said:
Those clip things (pocket clip? not sure what actual name is) that hold money and cards work a lot better than a wallet for me.
I think I have the same thing. I got mine at Walmart for around 10 bucks. It's so much handier than an actual bifold wallet. I keep mine in the cubby of my car. Your's look kinda like this?