Worst game(s) you've ever completed

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
I'd certainly say I've probably completed a fair few bad games but none that I would personally go so far as to say were "that" terrible... If nothing else the very act of seeing them through to the end often leads to a kind of mutual respect in my case.

I will admit though that right now I am playing through the new Star Trek game and have every intention of finishing it so... I guess there's that.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I would have to say Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. I played through the whole campaign waiting for the fun to start, but it never happened.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Dragon Age 2 is all I can think of at the moment. The story got more and more convoluted, I had no real vested interest in the struggle between "those guys" and the "other guys" and the fact that regardless of what you do, despite the level of so called power and influence Hawke has no one will fucking listen to what you have to say in the final moments. Constantly fighting waves of people when travelling around completing quests was also a chore.

I was so relieved when I finished it because I wouldn't have to play it again. Ever.

Starcraft 2: Heart Of the Swarm is something that is becoming increasingly difficult to play story-wise; it just blows quite honestly. The missions are great but the story is just...ugh.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Saints Row the Third, everyone has that one game that ruins a series they love and hold dear, this is mine. Saints Row 2 is among my top favorite games of all times, it knew how to let the player be creative and have fun while still keeping the game world rooted in reality which has made me go back to Stillwater year after year. Saints Row the Third decided to dispense with all of the plot of the previous two games, save for a few characters. The game cut down on basically everything from Saints Row 2 from weapons, to customization, to missions, and more in order to make room for more "whackiness" that all starts to blend together and wears out its welcome quickly.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Sssssort of FF13? I was really close to the end and I watched the end on Youtube. But no I didn't really finish it.
[sub]Mass Effect 3 because I finished the story...[sub] Mass Effect 1 and 2 because I finished 3... [sub]Sorry for bringing it up.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Bioshock. I liked the second one and Infinite quite a bit but the first one was a carnival of bad game design mixed with the worst story ever. I liked Andrew Ryan for sure but I felt like he almost had more of a spotlight in two.
I'm not sure I can offend more of the general public so I think this gets a lot of bonus points.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Woodsey said:
For some reason I felt the need to stick with Hitman: Absolution to the end.

"Well there was that one level near the beginning which kinda resembled what Hitman's supposed to fucking be about, so it must come back at some point... right?"

No, son. No.
I almost did this too and would have but the game is so awful it actually crashed so often on that stupid arse Saints level that I uninstalled after the tenth try. I don't know whether to take this game breaking crash bug as another kick in the teeth or as an act of heart warming charity on the games part for freeing me from yet another f**king godamn linear cover based stealth section. The whole series is supposed to be about subterfuge and assassination, not an endless gauntlet of improbably overmanned security teams including a police force so huge they put the entire city under martial law in search of one man.

While we are on the subject let me take this opportunity to say "I Told You So" to all the pillocks on this site who told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I immediately said Hitman Absolution is and would be a shallow, boring linear Splinter Cell Conviction clone. I just want everybody who white knighted this accursed title to come forward and confess their wrongness like adults.

As for the worst game I completed recently I did force myself through the Witcher 2. I quit the first game after 5 mins (I didn't buy it I inherited it from a dead relative) so I played the Witcher 2 without having played the first. Maybe Witcher fans will tell me my complaints are invalid because of this but bugger that. The Witcher 2 is awful. The story is pretty good but not good enough to excuse the insufferable combat. Its a chore, after a few hours completing it felt like a tiresome obligation.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Bubsy 3D: It's not completely broken and I actually had a little fun with it, awkward and annoying as it was. What tipped me into hatred though was beating it twice - normal and 100%. You really need to see it for yourself, but suffice to say going the extra mile actually leaves you off WORSE than if you beat it normally (though both are awful anyway).

Legend of Dragoon: I've heard people swear by it, but it really didn't do anything for me, though the Faust extra boss is easily the hardest thing I've ever beaten so kudos. Still, that mid-game triple-plot twist bugged the shit out of me, especially about Rose and how much of a hole that ended up being, and that's saying something considering the game is riddled with them.

Orphen, Scion of Sorcery: Bless their hearts they were trying something different, but almost all of - story, characters, acting (even from vets like Jennifer Hale), gameplay, graphics, level layout and movement - was terrible.

Paprik

Jun 7, 2013
Assassin's Creed (first one, never played the others): absolutely repetitive. Too easy - if you make a mistake and have to fight, just stand like a dildo and spam counter-attack. 0 feel of an actual assassin, lots of mass murdering.

Ghost Trick: Finished it today. Wanted to see what the hype was about. Interesting concept but infinite wasted potential. Basically a linear movie with no actual gameplay - just touching stuff that the game told you to. Story was quite interesting at first (the only thing that kept me playing) and I predicted a cool ending in my head, but the actual twist was hilariously disappointing.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Some of the responses that I'm seeing here make me laugh my ass off. Halo? Assassin's Creed? Dragon Age? Come on man! You really haven't touched some of the deeper, darker depths of gaming hell. Here, let me present one of the worst ones I've played, and it's not even the worst I've touched:

Everything was broke as fuck, the levels were poorly designed, the character models resembled a kid's mediocre drawing of the toys, the music was looped as fuck, the textures were dated, it had aneurism-inducing voice acting, etc. It was so bad that I developed harsher standards for my games. It also helped develop a more critical eye towards EA for me. This was around 2003.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012

UGH. I finished this game in four hours, hated every hour, only to find that it repeats at the end. You just start over.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Recently?
Bioshock Infinite
Saints Row: The Third
Brink
The first two missed the point of their previous titles completely, and Brink was just painful all around.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I know I'm gonna get a lot of flak for saying this, but I absolutely hated Mirror's Edge and Dead Island. I give the former credit for being original, but its frustrating controls and repetitive game play a chore to actually play. The latter is just a horrible mix mash of unoriginal ideas with a horrible story that was created by a group of horrible writers (I'm not even being overzealous here. The developers and writers at Techland have produced some of the most racist and misogynistic games I have ever seen.)

Honorable mentions goes to Alpha Protocol for its numerous glitches, annoying boss battles and piss poor story and

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
an annoyed writer said:
Some of the responses that I'm seeing here make me laugh my ass off. Halo? Assassin's Creed? Dragon Age? Come on man! You really haven't touched some of the deeper, darker depths of gaming hell. Here, let me present one of the worst ones I've played, and it's not even the worst I've touched:

Everything was broke as fuck, the levels were poorly designed, the character models resembled a kid's mediocre drawing of the toys, the music was looped as fuck, the textures were dated, it had aneurism-inducing voice acting, etc. It was so bad that I developed harsher standards for my games. It also helped develop a more critical eye towards EA for me. This was around 2003.
I played that game too. I'm surprised I've suppressed the memories. The worst part is that they took my favorite Toa, Pohatu, a guy with super speed and immense strength, and threw him into a mine cart. What the hell? He lives in the desert, not underground, so why did they put him in a freaking mine cart? And why does he shoot lasers from his hands instead of kicking rocks or throwing climbing claws?

Mr Mystery Guest said:
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater. I know it's a lot of people's favorite and i enjoyed the first two but this incarnation was a badly written interactive film, not a game. There would be a 70 minute cut scene, then it would let you walk through a door and then play an hour and a half cut scene.
This is bizarre. Metal Gear Solid 2 has far more cutscenes than the third game. In fact, the third game is most people's favorite because it doesn't have as large a ratio of cutscenes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Crysis 2 and Halo 4. From about the mid-point of Crysis 2 on, I would ask "is it over yet" after each level. As for Halo 4, I knew I had hit the peak of "fun" when I found the Mantis mech. I spent the rest of Halo 4 wondering out loud when I would get another Mech.

I'm putting Elite Beat Agents on here too...It was fun until I started playing Rhythm Heaven and realized how much EBA underwhelmed me.

Oh hey, someone just reminded me about Dragon Age II (which reminded me of Fable 3)! I beat both of them and while I took my time with Fable 3 I only beat it once. As for Dragon Age II, I couldn't beat it in one specific time frame. I played the first third when the game was new and just couldn't stay in it. Months later I picked it up and went through a bit further but still couldn't beat it...then I went back a final time and just said "screw it" to the side quests and, character quests.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Dungeon Lords. Bitter, broken, incomplete, shitty game. I dare anyone to try it if they're feeling masochistic.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I don't completely hate it, but I thought Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was a bad game (yet I've completed it multiple times.

The combat auto-scaled really badly, the skillset was so broken there was an ability that meant it was impossible to lose, the end bosses had lots of HP and nothing else. The story was really really weak, dealing with a lot of magic and fiddly practical intricacies that is totally alien to Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings doesn't care how the gate is opened or the wall breached, it cares that new destructive technology is destroying the old places of safety, that the house of the stewards is corrupt and falling into the madness of darkness etc. Not nitpicky 'this guy is actually a traitor. This guy is mindcontrolled' whatever.

And finally the characters were all not-Aragon, not-Gimli etc.

There were good parts, but I wouldn't in anyway classify it a good game and I don't really normally complete bad games
Now, I did enjoy The Third Age more than BrotherRool, but I'll add one more thing that made finishing the game horrid....the ending. The 'final' battle on the fields of Pelinor (??) outside Minas Tirith was kinda fun, but then it's over before you know it and
Aragorn comes up to your party and does his whole "You bow to no one" line and I thought "Huh?" So I killed some Olliphants, so what? Then, before I could start my (assumed) walk into Minas Tirith all proud and whatnot, I'm suddenly whisked away to battle SAURON!!! No story or anything explaining how my group just magically appeared in this room with a GIANT FLAMING EYE that was relatively easy to beat.....and then I get the credits. I was like "What. The. Hell?" and was left with the worst feeling of finishing a game ever. I was pissed. A decent game ruined by its thrown-together, sloppy, ending.

Meh.

Sep 24, 2008
Big_Willie_Styles said:
"Shrek 2."

Darren716 said:
Saints Row the Third, everyone has that one game that ruins a series they love and hold dear, this is mine. Saints Row 2 is among my top favorite games of all times, it knew how to let the player be creative and have fun while still keeping the game world rooted in reality which has made me go back to Stillwater year after year. Saints Row the Third decided to dispense with all of the plot of the previous two games, save for a few characters. The game cut down on basically everything from Saints Row 2 from weapons, to customization, to missions, and more in order to make room for more "whackiness" that all starts to blend together and wears out its welcome quickly.
I disagree. It is not as good as "Saints Row 2," granted, but it is still insanely fun.

Also, a lot more wacky weapons that you can actually get in "Saints Row The Third."

And "Saints Row 4" is gonna have a Dubstep Gun, which makes people dance.
I agree that Saint's Row the Third is really being maligned.

Add to the fact that people seem to gleefully mix up being a heartless psychopath as 'good character development.

Like the personalities or not, we actually got to SEE some of the personalities in Saint's Row 3, instead of 'Pot Head' 'Black guy no one listens to' and 'Johnny Gat'.

In Saint's Row the Third, Shaundi grew up, got a spine, and actually was torn up over Gat... not like the Asian girl that most people don't even remember the name of in Saint's Row. It wasn't Johnny's Bad Ass Walk of Revenge, but it at least lasted for a while.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Venetica. Jesus Christ that game was not fun. I just kept going, hoping it would get better, but it never did. Also, Resident Evil 6.... sigh.