WoW Player Claims Kicked from Guild for Being Deaf

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Wakefield said:
Exterminas said:
Oh, well sure the could be nicer but would any kind of other group acted any different?
If I join a soccer team for average players, but don't have any legs, they probably won't let me play or join in the first place.
But they'd let you play if you were deaf.

Seriously being deaf isn't like having no legs. Having legs is completely vital to play Soccer. Being Deaf is just a minor inconvenience like being deaf and playing soccer. Its not crippling.
It's called an analogy.

Hearing is as vital for mid-level-raiding as legs are for soccer. Real pros play without vent, as do total scrubs. But since 99% of all players don't fall within these two categories I saw fit to make the comparisson.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Jfswift said:
FinalHeart95 said:
...Does text chat not exist? It might bog down efficiency, but come on man, it's a fucking game. It's not like a job.
It does, and he has shitty friends for doing that to him. See here's the problem, text chat is very slow, I've run instances with groups before with players that don't use a mic. It's really hard to move fast when you have to communicate by typing (while trying to punch other keys too). You'll die at higher level areas if you're too slow.

I'm not saying he can't play though, what I think would work is some kind of mod that allows use of symbols or a voice to text app of some kind. That would speed things up enough that it wouldn't be an issue. I think his guild sucks for doing that and not even trying to work with him (especially considering he's a skilled player already). (I lost my voice once when I got sick years ago and I kind of know how debilitating that is when you can't communicate normally. It sucks).
That's fair enough. I understand that text chat is far from the most efficient way to do things, but they should've made an effort to work around his condition.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
poiumty said:
FinalHeart95 said:
That's fair enough. I understand that text chat is far from the most efficient way to do things, but they should've made an effort to work around his condition.
And screw over 9 people for the sake of one? Uh, no. If i became deaf i'd leave the guild myself instead of leeching off their pity.

Anyway this is kind of old news. Naxxramas ceased to be relevant a month ago, and it was the least important of raids regardless. This happened long ago.
Here's where my point is:
"WoW is a video game."
Not a job.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
It's what I hate about WoW. The game forces you to take it so seriously, that it turns everyone into an elitist asshole. Fuck MMORPGs.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Mezmer said:
It's what I hate about WoW. The game forces you to take it so seriously, that it turns everyone into an elitist asshole. Fuck MMORPGs.
Sounds like someone never played a game on xbox live, or read a forum debating "PC gaming vs. Console gaming". Welcome to the internet, do you have your passport and anything to declare?

mentalkitty789

Dec 30, 2010
This is so bloody stupid. Still when people say you can't use text chat because it is a liability. I say bull, because you aren't making EVERYONE use text chat you just have to make sure he understands what to do before the fight. If you're worried he'll die you have him 'stay with player X' problem fucking solved. Hearing isn't a requirement for raiding, maybe hardcore raiding, but not casual. You don't treat these things like life and death because you know what? They aren't this is a bloody game nothing more.
Also with these analogies, I think they're bull too. Even 'hardcore' raiding is nothing like a professional sport. With Hardcore raiding what are you doing other than getting the gear you want and stroking your ego? With a professional sport you're getting payed to play. Even if we are talking about a school team. A sport you need to hear because if you can't hear... You can't hear the calls of your team mates and opponents, and such. With a raid, there is still text! You can make macros to call out commands to your teammate, and if he knows what he is going he won't need them in the bloody first place! Knowing 'how to do a fight' is not like 'how to run a play'

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
its a private organization they can do as they like so long as it doesn't physically hurt someone or intentionally mentally hurt them

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
The guild was justified in its actions. If you're a member of a guild that's specifically for conducting raids and you're not capable of using Vent, then you have no business being in that guild, period. I understand where the guy must be coming from, but honestly, this is the kind of thing where hearing is absolutely integral. Keeping him in the guild would be like hiring a deaf guy to be a DJ. It just doesn't make sense.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
poiumty said:
FinalHeart95 said:
poiumty said:
FinalHeart95 said:
And screw over 9 people for the sake of one? Uh, no. If i became deaf i'd leave the guild myself instead of leeching off their pity.

Anyway this is kind of old news. Naxxramas ceased to be relevant a month ago, and it was the least important of raids regardless. This happened long ago.
Here's where my point is:
"WoW is a video game."
Not a job.
"Hey guys, i just bought a game of Twister, i'll bring it home this weekend and start a party and we'll have so much fun. Oh and there's this hobo i'm inviting too, make sure you treat him nice and pretend like he doesn't smell. What, you're complaining? IT'S A GAME, NOT A JOB! I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW INSENSITIVE YOU PEOPLE ARE".
Err...a better analogy would perhaps be none at all. Rather: Just because something is a game doesn't mean it's to be automatically be treated frivolously. While yes, games are for fun and enjoyment, that shouldn't prevent people from desiring to play them seriously in pursuit of their own enjoyment.

That said, while I feel sorry for User Unwelcomed, I think he severely misjudged how much his guild-mates valued his friendship.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Arehexes said:
Mezmer said:
Sounds like someone never played a game on xbox live, or read a forum debating "PC gaming vs. Console gaming". Welcome to the internet, do you have your passport and anything to declare?
Nope never have, never will. I'll stick to my PC and my single player RPGs where I can play the game on my terms without anyone ridiculing/forcing me to play. Makes me happy as a dancing clam.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
VincentX3 said:
Just another reason for me not to ever play WoW.

Way to addictive probably and over 90% of everyone is probably just another jerk.
Actually no, every community has it's asshats and good guilds (IE guilds that care about their members) would have found a way to work around this because, as was mentioned earlier on in the thread, actual decent guilds can raid with minimal vent interaction.(well, important interaction anyway; dicking around during trash is another story) For a player that is hearing impaired, not being able to listen in on vent is a handicap but it's not going to be a raid killer as mods like DBM are quite capable of giving out critical boss fight warnings.

I played for almost 5 years and granted in that time I ran across many a raging douche, but the larger WoW community in the game are generally a rather nice bunch of people. What seems to have happened in this instance is a case of poor handling of the situation by both sides. Most guilds have "drama" policies when it comes to guild relations; meaning if you've got an issue with something, in this case no hearing no hearing no raiding, you need to take it up with an officer in private. From the given post I'm left to assume that it devolved into quite the flame-fest in guild chat; insults were exchanged, long repressed feelings about the state of the guild made known, various creative uses of swearing, any number of things really. The end result was his removal from the guild, an avenue that probably shows lack of leadership skills on part of the guild master. That doesn't take away blame from the g-kick-ee though because out right fighting isn't the proper avenue either, however, we can already see he was already under some severe emotional stress and as we all know when in a rage we don't always think rationally.

My heart goes out to the guy, it's a case of two otherwise rational people losing their wits ;due to an already emotionally charged situation which resulted in the end of a four year relationship. I would hope one of them decides to be the bigger man and apologize though that can be hard when one party has decided to utterly ignore the other.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I guess the whole "My friends ditch me because I can't hear" doesn't matter, no lets give hate and ire to the guild of people he most likely never met.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Mezmer said:
Arehexes said:
Mezmer said:
Nope never have, never will. I'll stick to my PC and my single player RPGs where I can play the game on my terms without anyone ridiculing/forcing me to play. Makes me happy as a dancing clam.
See you blame MMORPGs for the attitude when it's online gaming in general who acts like that or worse(I love the 14 year olds who call me a n***** because I don't play to win, when they have a worse K/D spread then me).

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Arehexes said:
Mezmer said:
Arehexes said:
Mezmer said:
See you blame MMORPGs for the attitude when it's online gaming in general who acts like that or worse(I love the 14 year olds who call me a n***** because I don't play to win, when they have a worse K/D spread then me).
Hm...good point. Online gaming communities in general = massive suckage.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Mezmer said:
Arehexes said:
Mezmer said:
Arehexes said:
Mezmer said:
Hm...good point. Online gaming communities in general = massive suckage.
Glad we have something to agree on :). Still I feel more sorry the guy lost his "irl" friends do to him being deaf, from how his post sounded. I know the feeling losing friends for reasons you can't help.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
This looks like exactly the sort of scenario where 4chan/Anonymous takes those assholes to task; that can't come soon enough.

In all seriousness, this is a tragically insensitive act, and hopefully the banhammer is being warmed up as we speak.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
I used to be on the same server as an EU guild called "Method" and last time I can remember their recruitment message stated you needed a flexible job to be able to meet their requirements.

I think they migrated somewhere though.