XBL Indie Dev Clones Minecraft With FortressCraft

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Well it was going to happen eventually, but im glad to see that it wasn't "adapted" to XBLA by microsoft or any other giant soulless companies.

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
FortressCraft is probably one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

The guy behind it has worked for a number of game companies -he worked with Bullfrog, for fuck's sake. That's more than enough right there to give me a raging ladyboner.

He's mashing together Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, and Dungeon Keeper into brutal amalgam of awesome. So far, it's higher quality and more stable (read: not made in java) than Minecraft and he's done the whole thing in about six weeks. It takes Notch six weeks to add in a different color of block. Adding together the cost of each projected chapter, you'll be paying about 8 bucks for the finished product -vs. Minecraft's 20 bucks for a product that not only isn't even out of beta, but will likely NEVER be out of beta.

But the best part? Oh, the best part is the massive bruja the Notch Defense Force has been stirring up. All over the internet rages a mighty shitstorm of unmitigated asspain. it's glorious.

I'm to understand that the expected launch date for FC Chapter 1 is March 4th, and that it will essentially be Minecraft's Classic mode with a serious facelift.

I, for one, will have my 80 MSP ready and waiting.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I don't have a problem with graphical enhancements for Minecraft, in fact the upgraded light/shadow system that went up yesterday is great. However as with many others in this thread I can't help but find Fortress Craft really ugly, the graphics engine may be better but the graphics themselves look like crap. The combination of better graphics and an extremely blocky world is also jarring, the lower textures and simplified effects of Minecraft may be simple but at least the visual are consistent, adding more realistic water to lego world just underscores how blocky legos really are.

I don't really mind clones, they're an ingrained part of the industry and really media as a whole (props to Tom Goldman and every other reporter who mentions Infiniminer when reporting on Fortress Craft). If it's a bad clone it won't hurt Minecraft, if it's a good clone the two will likely both benefit from this. Who knows, maybe this is the beginning of a new genre and geeks of the future will squabble over which game really started it. ;)

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Honestly, I think this is exactly what Minecraft needs: a competitor. So Notch will get off his lazy ass and put the update machine in 6th gear.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I very much enjoy the look of the water and how it moves, that in actual Minecraft would be beautiful.

Otherwise it looks like a pile of wank.

Mar 9, 2010
I can say that I will be looking into getting. Minecraft is awesome and everything, but my PC doesn't run it very well so having a similar game on the XBOX would be cool. Also, Minecraft is in Java and as far as I'm aware, an XBOX can't run games written in Java so it wouldn't be coming anyway.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I looked into minecraft and thought "that looks unfinished and for the same price I could get a preowned game I want". Not that I believe a game needs good graphics to be good, its just minecraft looks unfinished and sloppy in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Now this comes along and I still think it's ugly and unfinished looking however it is a step in the right direction.

I see the process like this:
someone invents this (infiniminer):

someone else populises (minecraft) it by inventing this:

someone else cashes in the popularity by inventing this:

and if the natural process continues we eventually end up with something I want to own like this:

[sub]Note: Cars are for display purposes only there is no other hidden meaning[/sub]

standokan

May 28, 2009
Richard Allen said:
standokan said:
sue them, sue them, SUE THEM!!
As I said before not going to happen. What ground would they have to sue them on? You can't copyright game mechanics or look and feel. Unless they stole code or artwork it's fair game.
I know that it's not going to happen but sue them sounds better than kill them

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Good. If there's one thing Minecraft needs it's some kind of competitor to hopefully make Notch and co. start supporting their game properly.
Haha, yeah you got a point.

Maybe they'll get to the point where each update adds significant content to the game, rather than just waiting weeks for them to add such revolutionary content as beds.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
...if i was mojang i would sue the pants off these guys... it might not get anywhere but just on principle...im going to criticize it at the moment cause im a dedicated notch/mojang/minecraft fan... but if they admit that most of the credit should go to notch then ill forgive and get the game

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
oh com ON this is not even fucking trying they could yust aswell call it minecraft xbox version it wont change anything, still this game wont be 5% the quality of minecraft since all the things that made the game good (modding, controls, comunity, originality) wont be there.
F this shit and never speak about it agen

Jack Macaque

Jan 29, 2011
GamesB2 said:
Jack Macaque said:
Typical Micrsoft XBL.
Xbox Live Indie Games = Not a lot to do with Microsoft

OT: I think this is pretty good, I know Xbox owners with PCs made of toilet paper and blu tac who would love to play Minecraft but can't.

If it does overstep the line then it can easily be shut down with a cease and desist.
Yea I just noticed my post was very sloppy, thanks for the point, I should have said XBLI and not Microsoft, there.

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Samechiel said:
FortressCraft is probably one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

The guy behind it has worked for a number of game companies -he worked with Bullfrog, for fuck's sake. That's more than enough right there to give me a raging ladyboner.
Bullfrog? Wow that sounds...so familiar.

*googles*

Ho-ly shit. Popu-fucking-lous.

I am SO buying Fortresscraft.

Iwana Humpalot

Jan 22, 2011
Seriosly? I mean SERIOSLY?!?! This is one of the biggest rip-offs i have ever seen in my life. I hope notch sues them and wins.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That engine isn't an upgrade... Minecraft looks better than this. This looks almost like an iPhone game.

Coalhada

Feb 6, 2009
People and their "BETTAR GRAPHICS" fever... Minecraft isn't about looks, and I support that.

OT: I would sue them. This pretty much crosses the line between "inspiration" and "ripping off".

Amax29

Feb 11, 2009
For people saying that Fortress Craft is a clone of Minecraft, can I just point point to a game called Infiniminer; Minecraft seems very similar to it don't it?

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Every survival horror is an Alone in the Dark clone, every sandbox game is a GTA clone, every FPS is a Wolfenstein clone, every game featuring an overworld and dungeon-based progression is a Zelda clone, every MMO is an Everquest clone and every hack n' slash is a Devil May Cry clone. Or was it God of War clone? I forget.

No good games have ever come of reproducing something that made a previous game unique and attempting to improve upon it with new & different features, this is just common knowledge! How dare this indie dev take an older idea and put a unique spin on it?

Everyone knows games like Resident Evil, Red Dead Redemption, Half Life 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, World of Warcraft and Bayonetta were all terrible ripoffs that have no right to exist and have contributed nothing to the world of gaming.

Jeez, you'd think people would know stuff like this already.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Amax29 said:
For people saying that Fortress Craft is a clone of Minecraft, can I just point point to a game called Infiniminer; Minecraft seems very similar to it don't it?
Yeah but Minecraft looks like infiniminer, and that is where the looks of it come from, but expanded and molded on a dead open source game so much, it has earned its right as a separate thing. This game is yet to prove that until it can actually mold Minecraft and make sth different enough. Note that Minecraft has working minecarts.