Xbox One Designed "With Advertising in Mind"

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
babinro said:
There's already plenty of ads on the PS3 and 360.
The only "ads" on PS3 are a ticker at the top (which you can toggle on and off) and the What's New segment on the XMB (which you don't have to look at).

Both of which only concern themselves with items in the PlayStation Store.

The 360's dash with place ads just about anywhere, advertising just about anything.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I've used my router to block ads.... it's really handy. My Xbox 360 is unable to display ads, but as a side effect I can't watch Hulu. They detect the ad wasn't played and refuse to play.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I just don't get these men. Stuff like this you're supposed to hide away in the fine print to be an unpleasant surprise for your customers, not parade as one of your main selling points. I'd frankly be less annoyed if the advertising was a sudden reveal a day before the thing came out, I just can't understand how the biggest electronics corporation we have can be so damn stupid.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
My reaction when reading the article.

http://youtu.be/lrF5x1OSJuQ

Does MS really have such a low opinion of their customer base's intelligence?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
"[Microsoft] is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can't do certain things."

Ooooookay... theres something very very wrong with this sentence...

Shouldnt he rather say "will not" rather then "cant"?

Because "cant" means that they would if they where allowed to...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
You have adverts on cable, when you pay for it. You have adverts on pages on the internet and you pay for the use of the internet. As long as the adverts arnt in your face and obstructive, then i dont really care. I think this site needs to calm down and wait till an actual XBone is unboxed and plugged in and we can see how it works. What the advert part is like and other features. An then decide. XBone is like a Nazi Swastika - as in when you see it your brain automatically connects it with negative things.

I understand, you, like me, are fans of 360. It sucks that MS is giving us so many reasons to NOT by the XBone. Its like meeting the girl you love, and then out comes all these negatives and you are conflicted about how many negatives you can accept before you throw in the towel.
But the ads for internet pages aren't generating money for your Internet Service Provider who you pay to give you internet, they go to the individuals who own the webpage. The ads for your cable aren't generating money for the people who provide you with cable, they go to the individual channels that use cable.

The Xbox ads revenue goes straight to Microsoft, not the developers making games, not anyone else, and you already paid full price for a console, and monthly subscription fees for their online services.

Not only that, but the way this announcement that Xbox One will have ads on the dashboard is completely dismissive of their consumers.
1. The Xbox will use the mandatory Kinect unlink to spy on you, and use your conversations for targeted advertising.

2. The Dashboard itself has been "Designed with advertising in mind". Not with "user friendliness in mind" not "customer needs in mind" not "Optimum machine performance".
The purpose of the main home screen of the Xbox One is to generate revenue through advertisements for Microsoft at the customers expense. They are boasting about this feature on the games console.

3. One of your points was that we don't know how obtrusive or annoying the ads will be. We do, because this guy told us straight up that Microsoft have designed the ads so that you can click on them accidentally, resulting in more money for them:
the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash
Yes, that means that they designed it so many people will be accidentally clicking on ads when they don't want to. Lovely.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Dear Microsoft.

Doing this:

Is a bad idea, please stop doing it.

It was amusing at first, but now it's starting to get scary: Do you have a medical condition that prevents you from feeling pain?

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Super Not Cosmo said:
Oh Microsoft, just when you had went back on your craptastic DRM and had managed not to shit the proverbial bed for almost a week and a half you go and say this bullshit. One step forward and two steps back it seems.
I know right?

My god, it's been like watching the microsoft train detail, flip over, catch fire, explode, and then as they just about manage to stop the flames spreading into surrounding woodland filled with cute animals and babies and children, some guy runs up with a jerrycan full of jet fuel and sets the whole lot off again.

It's almost mesmerizing.

Just to illustrate my point [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT45OJBNPsU&t=1m40s]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I... Words fail me. This is so stupid.

It's like they looked for everything gamers hate, and threw those things into this console.

Kamille Bidan said:
Another strike for Microsoft.
I think at this point, the game is over. But Microsoft is still just standing there, swinging away at nothing.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Is this Microsoft's attempt at taknig EA's crown as the biggest noob compony world wide? I'm getting confused seriously how can this get any worse publicity wise... just shush up no news is good news for you guys right now.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
CriticKitten said:
I seem to recall pointing out a few weeks back that Microsoft was one of several companies being slapped with a class-action lawsuit for their involvement in PRISM, the big NSA scandal that involved their devices being used to spy on people. I suggested, at that time, that Microsoft might use the XBone to perform such a task, and people in these forums shrugged it off as mere conspiracy, saying that it was unlikely the device would really be used that way.

Clearly that was a mistake on their parts, as this is an open admission that the device IS being used to spy on its audience. And if they're willing to use it to spy on people for advertising for other big corporations, then do you really think they wouldn't also use it to help spy for the NSA, especially if that spying request came via secret court order?

I'll make some more tin foil hats for those of you who are willing to join me over here in "Crazytown", if you please.
Crazy town?

More like "sad reality"

The fact that microsoft seems to gamble on the great stupid uninformed or uncaring masses shows how easy corporations and goverments have it these days to violate your rights.

That people are even defending these practices while at the same time getting bend over by those that they defend shows that Einstein was infact right from the very beginning.

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Another shining PS4 ad courtesy of Microsoft. Seriously, where did these folks learn PR? All these overblown anti-consumer practices have led me to one conclusion: Microsoft XBOX One folks are possessed! We need to send a priest there to exorcise that place!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Like other people who have been put off of the Xbox, the advertising on the 360 was one of the main contributing reasons for it The fact they have admitted they will still be on Xbox Live on the next console has pretty much guaranteed the fact that I will never get one.

I wasn't too fond already, but this seals it.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Wait, wait, I've got it!

EA was pissy about winning Worst Company in America twice in a row, and were afraid of losing business, so they paid their buddies at Microsoft (a company so big they'll never go under) to take a fall and intentionally win next year and prevent a hat-trick. Whenever one gets too much flak, the other will take over ballsing-up to take the heat off!

Genius!

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Isn't the purpose of advertising usually to help substantiate a product and bring it to the public at a reduced rate or free? At least thats my understanding with television, magazines, comics etc. So I'm guessing that means we'll be getting our XBL Gold accounts for free right? Especially since their advertising is SO good now.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
So the Xbone finally showing off it's true nature? Color me unsurprised.

Less powerful than a PS4, required Kinect to work, 100$ more expensive, using 3 OS's which will result in more RAM usage leaving less for usage on games and now this.

Gee, I wonder why people aren't happy and not interesting in buying one.