You know what I hate? Misanthropes.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Oh MISANthropy... I thought it said Lycanthropy. Or perhaps Mycanthropy (Wherefungi?)

...I don't know what Misanthropes even are.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
I fell in love in Paris and I am currently planning to surprise my hubby-to-be with a concert in the biggest concert hall of Stockholm, just the two of us. Afterwards, I'll ask him officially if I can move to Paris so we can be together.

Things might be difficult sometimes, but they are not the things on top. A positive look makes everything better. If I'd think like I did a few years ago, it would quickly turn gloomy and depressing.

Speaking of happiness :>

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Ahh... To clarify, you're trying to use a specific example to prove that humans on the whole aren't shite? Whether or not that's true I see little bearing on your apocryphal friend.
Ignoring irony and the obvious 'it's good to hate on people who aren't mainstream' feel, I really don't see what you are trying to accomplish.

Any misanthropes will remain such, cynics will dismiss your notions as idealistic at best, and those who Already agree with your ideas will agree and nod their heads and feel superior... all without a single person changing sides.

Enjoy the opinions that you are certainly entitled to, but don't expect to change even a single angsty teenager/young adult here.

As to misanthropy itself: Who are you, indeed, who am I to say that an entire world-view is wrong. Useless to society? Maybe. Wrong, however is a different story.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Folio said:
Oh MISANthropy... I thought it said Lycanthropy. Or perhaps Mycanthropy (Wherefungi?)

...I don't know what Misanthropes even are.
I hope you're joking, but misanthropy means the hatred of the entire human race. I think OP was speaking of cynism or pessimism in this case, however.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
tomtom94 said:
There is a subtle difference between a stupid idea (a girl getting pregnant at 14 on purpose / as a result of alcohol) and unfortunate circumstances (a girl getting pregnant at 14 because her boyfriend was a prick who didn't use contraception). It really angers me when people fail and at times even refuse to make this distinction.
Actually, it's her fault for being an idiot letting him fuck her without contraception, so there ya go.

I don't hate people as a rule. I mistrust them, and am wary of them, because far too many people I've met have turned out to be pricks or had ulterior motives.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
No_Remainders said:
tomtom94 said:
There is a subtle difference between a stupid idea (a girl getting pregnant at 14 on purpose / as a result of alcohol) and unfortunate circumstances (a girl getting pregnant at 14 because her boyfriend was a prick who didn't use contraception). It really angers me when people fail and at times even refuse to make this distinction.
Actually, it's her fault for being an idiot letting him fuck her without contraception, so there ya go.
I agree that girls shouldn't do such things, and to be fair it's a shit example, I just couldn't think of a better one.
I also know that girls do really stupid things out of desperation, and that men need to take responsibility as well.
What I wanted to get across was the contrast between knowing stupidity and unknowing stupidity and that some people don't discriminate between the two.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Svenparty said:
What a misanthropic thread about hating misanthropes. Your not making it easy! I think the majority of age groups on The Escapist guarantee some feelings of angst. Happy people aren't going to populate advice forums
Neither are misanthropes who don't bother to post in the correct section.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
I wouldn't call whining about love misanthropy. I'd just call it young, inexperienced kids. They'll grow out of it. There are a lot of hormone-ridden teenagers on this website, and I've been there myself. We all have.

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
Amphoteric said:
Yeah, I hate misanthropy so much. People just seem to ignore all of the briliant things humans do and only focus on the negative things.

We are the most technologically advanced species in the entire known universe. How could you not be amazed and impressed by that?

Any time I'm feeling even slightly depressed or down I just listen to:

NOOOO! Embedding disabled by request. And to think I was just about to take the noose off.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I think the real issue at hand is misogyny. I'm not arguing that "gamers" or this community in particular are misogynistic, but society as a whole. It knows no boundaries, no race, and no religion. Do yourself a favor and seek out James Tiptree's short story "The Screwfly Solution" or the Masters of Horror television adaptation. It's chilling in its ongoing relevance. These threads don't seem to be about "dumb little hormonal boys," but rather "bitches, whores, sluts, nymphomaniacs, prudes" and whatever derogatory female stereotype one can come up with. It's all "her" fault because she's crazy and because she's female.

Did you get a little offended at my use of "boys" to describe male teenagers? Imagine being referred to as a "girl" 24/7 until you were 40.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:
Don't worry, we hate you too.
Nice avatar, great album.

Anyway, on topic. I dislike misanthropes or nihilists unless I never have to interact with them, because while usually annoying to an incredible degree they can make some damn fine music/books/movies.

And yeah, happiness would be super bitchin'. We're also a bunch of judgmental, intolerant little fucks, but I guess that's the internet for you.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
But, you can't be so cheaply cheerful for humanity! You're missing out on a great opportunity to frown and mood at everything great until something joyful happens, turning your life around for the better, so you turn optimistic, and finally turn into a vampire philanthropist.
Maybe than you could sell your story, as a script, for a movie. And get rich. RIIIICH!

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
TV and the Hollywood world has taught these people that your childish feelings and senseless drama makes you more important and deeper than everyone else. And that crying for attention and pity makes you more of a more complex person, than does actually having values and character.
And I think you have the wrong idea about what "misanthropy" means. Misanthropy is when someone hates people in general, and only seems to see the worst in humanity. It has little to nothing to do with being Emo.
Being emo is about being self-centered, and having self-hatred and self-pity. it seems similar to misanthropy, in that it attempts, (and fails horribly) to be anti-conformist. When an emo is hurt by the world, they will push aside a starving African child pleading to a TV camera, so that they can tell the world how unjust and unfair the world is to them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
You clearly does not know what misanthropy means. Being emo and being a misanthrope is NOT the same thing. A lot here believes they are misanthropes, but usually they're either emo or hipsters.
Personally I'm a somewhat misanthropic for some good reasons I wont go into with strangers. I don't cry that humanity is doomed, or how love is a lie. I simply don't like people very much. However this is improving with a change of environment.

Captain_Fantastic

Jun 28, 2011
90% of the time im a happy,kind,accepting,nice person

but when i get bored(the kind of bored you get when all your friends are busy) for a longer period of time i get angry because i dont like being bored and then after the anger if im still bored i get misanthropic and cynical

A. Manslayer

Jun 22, 2011
Captain_Fantastic said:
90% of the time im a happy,kind,accepting,nice person

but when i get bored(the kind of bored you get when all your friends are busy) for a longer period of time i get angry because i dont like being bored and then after the anger if im still bored i get misanthropic and cynical
Funny, when I get bored, I read whiny emo threads on the escapist and post supid comments myself.
Oh wait...

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Ironic Pirate said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
Thanks. ^_^ I'm finding it rather ironic that the rather capriciously spawned cupcakes and rainbows thread seems to be doing much more to lift people's sprit's than this guy who's more or less telling people to 'cheer the fuck up' as if that would have any resounding impact. I think people here really need to decipher the difference between misnathropes and the misanthropic. I'm the latter, I'm wary of people I don't know and am prone to bouts of animosity and skepticism towards the greater percentage of the general populace, but that doesn't mean that I despise all of humanity and think them destitute of any altruistic intent. At any rate, I treat people as they come, they are individuals after all. On a side note, I don't get why you'd dislike nihilists, I mean Atheists are basically nihilists by default and many can be quite chirpy about being able to shape their own sense of purpose rather than relying on any inherent meaning to life. Okay, I've been rambling long enough, I'll leave you be.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:
Ironic Pirate said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
Thanks. ^_^ I'm finding it rather ironic that the rather capriciously spawned cupcakes and rainbows thread seems to be doing much more to lift people's sprit's than this guy who's more or less telling people to 'cheer the fuck up' as if that would have any resounding impact. I think people here really need to decipher the difference between misnathropes and the misanthropic. I'm the latter, I'm wary of people I don't know and am prone to bouts of animosity and skepticism towards the greater percentage of the general populace, but that doesn't mean that I despise all of humanity and think them destitute of any altruistic intent. At any rate, I treat people as they come, they are individuals after all. On a side note, I don't get why you'd dislike nihilists, I mean Atheists are basically nihilists by default and many can be quite chirpy about being able to shape their own sense of purpose rather than relying on any inherent meaning to life. Okay, I've been rambling long enough, I'll leave you be.
I don't mind Nihilists/misanthropists necessarily, I hate the ones that spout on about it for now reason. Like, I was having a conversation about the best time to pet a cat (after they've been lying in the sun about they're all sleepy and warm) and someone else started going off about how we shouldn't be happy, and that there wasn't a point to it. It's like as soon as he saw happiness he was like "well fuck, I'm bad at being happy, so you shouldn't be, either", and it was annoying.

Because nihilists are right. Life is pointless, it's a self perpetuating cycle that exists only to exist. And that's fine. Everyone needs to just find their own little niche, or hobby, or whatever the hell gives them dopamine and be nice to each other. If you're incapable of doing that, than rain on your on parade and leave the rest of us alone.

And now I'm rambling.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Ironic Pirate said:
I don't mind Nihilists/misanthropists necessarily, I hate the ones that spout on about it for now reason. Like, I was having a conversation about the best time to pet a cat (after they've been lying in the sun about they're all sleepy and warm) and someone else started going off about how we shouldn't be happy, and that there wasn't a point to it. It's like as soon as he saw happiness he was like "well fuck, I'm bad at being happy, so you shouldn't be, either", and it was annoying.
Ah yes, fair enough, although rather than nihilists/misanthropists I think those people are much more easily defined as arseholes.