Your 5 most disappointing games, 2008-2012

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
ITT: People saying great games are "the most disappointing games" because of 1 tiny flaw it had.

Seriously people, after you write your post, read it again and just think about it. Is that tiny mistake really that a huge disappointment.
It doesn't matter how "good" a game is if the person in question didn't enjoy it. What ultimately makes a game great is whether it entertained its player. Your opinion of its quality has absolutely no weight in others' entertainment level, or what they expected of it.

Not going to argue that a lot of people are petty when it comes to airing grievances, but your stance against it is full of its share of holes, too.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Bulletstorm = maybe because it was from the People-Can-Fly developers, such high hopes, it promised so much to be a return to the classic gaming we miss and love, only to then become the worst example of all the bad trends in video gaming today

Mirror's Edge = forced gunfights... why EA?? It could have been such a good pure freeruning game like Portal was a pure physics puzzle game.

Assassin's Creed = why the animus framing device??! you think we wouldn't care about a story if it wasn't tied to the present?!?! And the animus interface just jars too much with the period setting.

Crysis 2 = oh dear. Console got good but PC got screwed.

Dead Rising = how did killing zombies become so routine?

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
MGS4 - Awful action gameplay, horrifying bad story that shits over the continuity and stand-alone nature of the series.

Mafia II - Expected an interesting alternative to the GTA series, instead got a sandbox that doesn't even use its sandbox with a bad story.

Metro 2033 - bought this game for five dollars and still felt ripped-off. Go ahead and read the book the instead.

Portal 2 - I was usually cautiously tolerant of the whole "games being dumbed-down." But after Portal 2, I saw how serious this was getting. Valve needs to learn to take risks instead of making everything so easy. I missed this gem from the Orange Box [http://imgur.com/WhZoe].

I'll think of a fifth one later.
BiH-Kira said:
ITT: People saying great games are "the most disappointing games" because of 1 tiny flaw it had.

Seriously people, after you write your post, read it again and just think about it. Is that tiny mistake really that a huge disappointment.
Can you cite some examples without generalizing the whole thread?

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Metal Gear Solid 4: First metal gear game I had played most likely the last. I was just so dissapointed by the gameplay that my friends and the internet had hyped up so much.

Final Fanasty 13: Again this was my gateway game to the series and I couldn't have picked a worse one.

Uncharted 3: Hated this game so much, it took everything I had previously overlooked in 1 and 2 and multiplied them by a scale factor of 50.

Assassin's Creed Fapping about: Take your pick on which one I'm refering to.

Medal of Honour: Not bad, but I came away disapointed because of the potential it had.

Made think of this:

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
BiH-Kira said:

If that flaw, (which people weren't expecting) caused someone to feel disapointment, isn't that the point of the thread? It isn't about good/bad it's about something(s) in a game not being what the player had expected.

Also 'great games' who the hell determined which games were 'great', I'm pretty sure it comes down to personal opinon, where 'disapointment' would be a key feature.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Let's see.

Diablo 3 - It was fun until I got to Inferno mode. Not due to the difficulty itself but due to the fact that in order to get any gear to progress you had to farm regular mobs(because elites would tear fresh 60's apart), or hit the AH. This, topped with being a Barbarian (The most expensive to gear class iirc), pissed me off. Once the (first)nerfs hit Act 1 felt about right, but Act 2 was still a *****. I stopped playing after that, since I couldn't stand leveling another character.

Prince of Persia - Take everything you love about the Sands of Time Trilogy and add in a mandatory collection mini-game. Not only are you told where to go by these glowing orbs, you HAVE to collect 75% of them to progress to the next area, and before that you have to reach the end of the current area and than backtrack. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to fling myself across the same ledge 5 times because I was one pixel off from that arc of orbs.

Rage - I loved Quake and Doom, and was even able to enjoy Quake 4 and Doom 3. This game felt a LOT like Borderlands with a different aesthetic and without the weapon variety. Also, All of the guns felt too weak. A point blank shotgun blast can't even kill the lesser enemies 5 seconds after you pick it up? It had a lot going for it, but it's been done before, and better.

Resident Evil 5 - It's everything Resident Evil 4 did, but worse. Oh and you have a brilliant AI partner, or you end up getting stuck with a horrible co-op partner. I enjoyed Resi 4 a lot, it's probably my most played Gamecube game, but Resi 5 just seemed like a huge downgrade.

FEAR 3 - I actually did enjoy the game... when I got to play as Fettel, but by then I had beat the game once and lost my interest to play anymore. Had they given you the option to pick characters from the get go, it would have fared much better with me. Also, Co-Op was fun. The major gripe was having to play through the entire campaign once to be able to play how I wanted to from the start. And it didn't help that the gameplay was amazingly average.

Those are mine.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Resident Evil 5!!!

Fable 2

Assassins Creed Brotherhood&Assassins Creed Revelations - Seriously I was heavily disappointed to see that they spanned out Ezio to three full priced retail games it all just seemed so pointless. We got all we needed from Ezio in two time to move on. Plus a god awful lack luster end for the character.

Splinter Cell Conviction

And the one that takes the gold

Resident Evil 6 ? No seriously this game depresses me.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
DiRT
DiRT 2
DiRT 3
DiRT:Showdown
Racedriver GRID
I actually didn't play any of those until a friend invited me to play some games on his PC. I expected something like CMR2004 or 2005 (which I'm a big fan of). Well, DiRT3 certainly has the good graphics , but it completely lacks driveability of the cars just like the DiRT series as a whole.

Mass Effect 3: Solid, just not as great as ME1 or ME2.

GTA IV:the setting is too gray-and-brown-style to be actually likeable to me.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
5 - Payday the Heist. Wanna rob a bank with your friends? now you don't have to do it for real with this game, you know except without the money reward. I can't hold the game 100% responsible for my disappointment in it, part of it came from only 1 friend of mine getting the game and that guys a dick to play anything co-op with, pre-ordered the game total play time 41 minutes

4 - Orion Dino Beatdown. Basically I saw the trailer for this game, for those of you who have not seen it's look at these jetpacks cool right? What about these dinosaurs, wanna fight 'em with jetpacks? Being the sucker I am I thought yes to myself instantly bought the game, I could not play the game as at the time I was on a 32bit operating system and the game had no support, aside from that the game developers gave no signal that they were going to make 32 bit support. I have since upgraded to 64bit and getting to actually play the game gave me the opportunity to realize that it was a complete waste of money.

3 - Skyrim, The worst part of this game disappointing me so much is that all my friends love the game :( Copied this next part from my steam review of the game "Meh ... the creation engine is pretty good looking, but the quests "Go get my magic drum" "tah bro, now go get my magic leg" They are very cut and pasted the dungeons are all unique as they said, but when you've turned one corner you've turned them all. They have tried to work on people who stare your soul to death, from the older engine, to people not looking at you at all during conversation. Now making the engine is out of the way hopefully Fallout 4 will be the best thing in all of the land. Skyrim overall 6/10"

2 - Dragon Age 2. Dragon Age Origins is one of my favourite games of all time, then EA happened.

1 - Dead Island I got this game for my birthday last year, the disappointment started when the Collector's Edition (or steelbook I don't remember) wasn't in stock, so I ended up getting the normal edition for the price of the steelbook, bad start, then the games "Genre defining" gameplay turned out to be kick those zombies and get some levels. I remember that the servers where very laggy but that could have been because it was hosted on personal consoles I'm not sure (I had the game before I bought my gaming pc) This game was difficult to finish, and not because of the games difficulty but because I made myself finish the game so I didn't feel ungrateful for the gift. Also it was over hyped to shit Good night everyone :D

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
1) Duke Nukem Forever - Just... Just no...

I thought it'd be good but by the stripclub level I was vomiting blood from eyes.

2) Splinter Cell Convivtio - I really liked it but I was disappointed by how simplified Ubisoft made the stealth...

I still liked it but the stealth was way too easy and I was confused as to why Ubisoft had changed it. I wish they had left the gameplay unchanged but perhaps given it it's own new IP.

3) Resi 5 - Good but was no where near as good as Resi 4... Oh, that hair...

I loved it at first but then the AI started getting in my way in a very annoying manor, then I was killing tribal people with spears and being killed be rays of sunlight, then there was a zombie with a minigun and I felt the series let me down.

4) God of War 3 - I played Dante's Inferno first and, honestly, I found Dante's Inferno more fun...

I know I shouldn't have liked Dante's more

Mcpixel - Fuck you Greenlight...

I wanted to buy the first game released via Greenlight, downside was, I didn't think it'd be absolutely shit...

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Final Fantasy XIII (obviously a requirement in this thread).
Brink.
Duke Nukem Forever.
F.3.A.R.
Every game made by Bioware in said time frame.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
MammothBlade said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 - An over-reliance on massive cutscenes and tacked-on gameplay made this feel like an interactive and contrived film rather than a game. It's like Hideo Kojima forgot he was supposed to be making a game and slapped together a few levels in a hurry - Act 3 was terrible, and the final act wasn't much better. Look at its predecessor, MGS3 had challenging stealth, snake eating, and atmosphere.
Fair list, outside of this. Those last two acts were the greatest pieces of storytelling in a videogame ever; emotional and nostalgic are insufficient in describing these masterpieces.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
nathan-dts said:
MammothBlade said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 - An over-reliance on massive cutscenes and tacked-on gameplay made this feel like an interactive and contrived film rather than a game. It's like Hideo Kojima forgot he was supposed to be making a game and slapped together a few levels in a hurry - Act 3 was terrible, and the final act wasn't much better. Look at its predecessor, MGS3 had challenging stealth, snake eating, and atmosphere.
Fair list, outside of this. Those last two acts were the greatest pieces of storytelling in a videogame ever; emotional and nostalgic are insufficient in describing these masterpieces.
Good cutscenes do not a great game make... They were the highlight, starting from the end of act 3 and leading to the ending. I don't disagree that they were great, but I might as well just watch a film instead.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
5. Fallout New Vegas, too many bugs, too little to do
4. Skyrim, a world as big as the oceans with the depth of a puddle
3. Fable 3, same thing as all the other fables
2. Alpha Protocol, espionage RPG at its worst
ANDDDDDDD
1. Borderlands 2, it feels more like 1.5, not much has changed in the world of Pandora, at least there are still no blue cat people

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
5. Chrono Trigger DS- I bought it before I remembered I didn't like Chrono Trigger that much.
4. Golden Sun Dark Dawn- The gameplay was solid, but was the story from the old ones this stupid? So many magic maguffins and forgotten plot threads that it baffled my mind.
3. Dragon Age Origins- Boring fantasy world is boring
2. Red Dead Redemption- All the issues of GTA IV with cowboys, which brings us to..
1. GTA IV- Dull awkward cover based shooting, story is deeply underwhelming and characters are painfully dull, game structure is obnoxious and missions are tedious, wonderful environment full of nothing and more nothing.

acey195

Dec 27, 2011
pilouuuu said:
Spore
Spore
Spore
Spore
Spore

The biggest disappointment ever. So much potential wasted in what ended up being a dumbed down experience.
This, I have been actually pretty pleased with all the games I bought lately (not so many) But When I played Spore I decided that was the last EA game I bought. In all seriousness, the marketing was targeted at geeks/people who like epic (like civilization) games. What it turned out to be was just a sims game with some cool mechanics. but the actual game-mechanics were way to simplified. I am afraid also coz of going over budget/being delayed for multiple times.

I still hope the engine gets bought by another studio at some point, which could make what it had to be.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
That one game you like.
Another game you like
A game you are neutral to
One of your favorite games
A bad game

Wait, that's a bit to meta...

Honestly, not a single game springs to mind. Maybe I have low expectations or I'm easily impressed or maybe I just don't hold 'grudges' against game.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
5) Super Mario Galaxy 2: It's not a bad game, but a disappointing game. It just didn't have any of the wow factor the original had and felt like just a re-tread of previous games
4) Any Kingdom Hearts game released form 2008-2012: I could just say "When is KH3 coming out", but the series mythology is so convoluted, with so much generic anime bullshit at this point, I won't be surprised when they decide to reboot the series before part 3 comes out.
3) Ninja Gaiden 3: Everything that was amazing about the last two was replaced with some the most dull gameplay of all time
2) Duke Nukem Forever: I never played DN 3D, but I was at least hopping for least a decent game, but It wasn't.
1) Soinc Unleashed: Yeah, Yeah, it had some decent 2.5-D Levels, but when you make the Brawling levels like God of War but worse, you've got a bad game. Not to mention that it was suppose to be the savior of the series, and the fact fans keep defending this, spamming IGN and anyone who dares says it sucks, and that Sonic Team was thinking of a sequel.