Your Favorite Game opening/intro

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Left 4 Dead had the coolest intro that I can think of. in a story with no plot save what you piece together on your own, it is all the more awesome.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
The Mechwarrior 2 intro. It was AWESOME! (Well, there's definitely better stuff out there now, but it was really cool in 1995.)

Also, the Borderlands intro is really cool. I didn't like the rest of the game, but the intro was one of the best.

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Well if you've played the game:

<youtube=6HMczCElPaI>

It seemed soooo cheesy the first time I saw it. Now it simply sends chills down my spine.

Lesd3vil

Oct 11, 2010
The first Parasite Eve game.

The main character gets out of a car at a theatre in New York...

You walk inside, and the REAL intro starts; a cheesy, over the top dramatic opera. The female lead on stage starts singing and people start bursting into flames.

Wait, WHAT?

She's still fucking singing with her mouth closed?

What's going on? Why is the protagonist unaffected? Where did she pull that gun from?

Old graphics or not, it still classes as one of my favourite openings ever... The scene and mood are just completely pulled out from underneath your feet, watchin people (even late 90's plasticine-FMV people) as they respond to being burnt alive is harrowing >>

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Wild Arms.

If I remember correctly, this actually plays before the title screen, not when you actually start the game. I'd say that still qualifies as the intro, though, even though it doesn't lead straight to gameplay.

As for actual "leads into gameplay" intro, I'd go with Chrono Trigger. It's nice and peaceful, and it really sets the mood for the first five-twenty minutes of gameplay.

Josh Horton

Apr 6, 2011
OrodrethAmandil said:
Got to be Final Fantasy VIII, i mean come on guys, those graphics and that epic music back in the ol ps1 days. And the little text glimpses that just tease you. I sound a bit too into this.
This

OT: Most of the game intros that I liked have been posted lol... Let's see... Nope can't think of any others besides the previously mentioned ones lol

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
This. So Much this. Well this version if it at least. Tech Demo or not.

Oh and this too.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Bioshock came to mind the instant I read the thread title. Here you go:

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
QUAKE 2 oldie but goodie
edit i got beaten to it :p
freespace
3 bucks on gog.com :)

The Serpent

Jun 20, 2011
Uncharted 2.

Nothing compares. I've had all my friends play that level. Even the ones who weren't gamers. And they were all completely gone into the game by the time the first level was over. After a while I had to ask them if they intended to try and play the whole game right in front of me. ;)

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009

The voice...the narration...it's magnificent.

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Captain Karma said:
Final Fantasy VIII and nothing else comes close. I had to rewatch it several times to show it off to people, and still sometimes I pull it up to see it again. It stands the test of time in my opinion, and tells a great backstory that draws you into the game immediately.
DAMN YOU!
Now I have to go find my ps1!

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Metal Gear Solid 2,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkX39ayb81M&feature=related
or the Gran Turismo 2 intro FMV / video thing, with that awesome song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txGhuDmPjY

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
The intro to Mass Effect 2 is my favourite. It's even more poignient if you have played the original and sets a darker tone for the story...

EDIT: How could I forget MGS3: Snake Eater? I LOVE that opening!

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Tales of Phantasia. Holy crap, was that? Was that just? No, no way. Yes, yes it was. It was voice acting on the SNES. Only a few seconds but still: Un-freaking-believable!