Your gaming turn ons

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Gratuitous, full bodied, button mashing, blood fueled, psychopathic catharsis, a la God of War. Just wailing on things with the unbridled rage found only in those characters truly pissed, so far off the deep end that they're making their own pool, and filling it with blood.

Ridiculous, impossible destruction, like covering a mountain in TNT in Minecraft and making it freaking disappear.

Doing something so freaking ridiculous that there is no alternative to rib cracking, gasping, painful, tear-filled laughter, a la Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 3.

Competent platformers with an awesome aesthetic--all my socks are rocked if we're discussing this.

And, on topic completely, realistic girls in games, with breast sizes other than "comparable to mountains", like an A cup, or a B cup. Er...this might actually be a turn on. I'll have to look into that in myself.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Lots of well executed dialogue and a good script. These things do wonders for games and can make you overlook some horrendous flaws in a game - at least for me.

Good characterisation and development - especially in the case of Garrus Vakrarian.

I also like a soundtrack that's both fitting and memorable - the kind you could hum to yourself while working.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Parkour
And I'm not talking about slowly crawling along liner wall edges and leaping on linear pipes Uncharted/Assassin's Creed style, I'm talking about like ACTUAL ADRENALINE PUMPING parkour, where you don't sacrifice speed for maneuvering.

Customization
A lot of games fail on this aspect, either sticking us in the shoes of boring protagonists with no options to change them/their actions, or not giving us full customization until we reach a certain level or rank. People like individuality. It turns me on. That is all.

A Big Arsenal
Multiple ways of solving problems/dispatching enemies. Something thats not repetitive.

No Jar Jars
No annoying sidekicks. Yes, the entire cast of Final Fantasy included. I'd rather drown myself.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
I have quite the variety:

Sending waves of my own troops in to die by the hundreds to swarm an objective or my foes forces

In any shooter, the guns have to be loud, impactful and have a good kick, enemies should recoil when I shoot them. I like my guns powerful.

For RPG's I love 0 accessibility games like Dragon Age: Origins, with its RPG combat and incredibly long story with a long investment time to get the best of it.

Linear and Non-linear can go either way if done right but I enjoy combat that is varied and mixes itself, presenting differant challenges upon each retry. (I don't like CoD's glorified shooting gallery where no matter how many times you fail the guys always come to the same window and all they can do is shoot at you.)

Finally, screw what everyone else says I LOVE 'press B to brutally kill' finishing moves. When done well, A La Space Amrine, they aren't long winded and serve a useful gameplay purpose.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Character Customization is my biggest turn on. Depth is the most important part.
Its what really made Skyrim my game of the century. I mean, once you get enough alchemy, enchanting and armor crafting, you can make any suit of armor have amazingly high statistics. It ends up meaning you can wear whatever fits your preference. ((Dont lie, Dwemer armor makes you feel like a SPHESS MAHUREEN))

My other big gaming turn on is comedy. A game that can make me smile and laugh is a game that adore. Some of the conversations in ME3 were just gold.
"No likes sarcasm...."
":D i do~!"
"I hate you....."
":D i hate you....?"
".....D:< sir...."
"Carry on :3"

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Watching a sexy real woman honestly enjoy playing games.

Triple bonus points if that woman is your girlfriend.
Infinity bonus points if she is playing Rez with the Trance Vibrator peripheral.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Fluid and thoughtful gameplay
A thought provoking story
New concepts
Fantasy, I turn to games for the outlandish stuff not to look at the same shit I see every day
Variety, if I the game makes me think "oh it's one of those" then it's already off my top lists

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Your thread title scares and confuses me.

In any case, the Total War series' decision to have you go in with a set amount of troops to fight with, as opposed to resource hoarding and base building.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Don Savik said:
Parkour
And I'm not talking about slowly crawling along liner wall edges and leaping on linear pipes Uncharted/Assassin's Creed style, I'm talking about like ACTUAL ADRENALINE PUMPING parkour, where you don't sacrifice speed for maneuvering.
Despite being rough around the edges, I see Mirror's Edge as being the trailblazer for shit like this.

Gunner 51 said:
Good characterisation and development - especially in the case of Garrus Vakrarian.
I particularly find it interesting that they touch upon the fact that Garrus is actually hindered by his friendship with Shepherd. Really gave me pause to take a longer look at his character. And they're loyal to it, too. Each time you reencounter him, he's pretty much flourished on his own. Then it's back to weapon calibrations on the Normandy, and playing second fiddle to Shepherd.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
character customization, tones of different weapons/armour/gear whatever. weather is a big one, also day time night time, thats realistic sorta. and anything with forests or pretty magical nature shit XD roll all it up with pretty graphics and you get..well Skyrim...* happy sigh *

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
science fiction, like the big grands stuff, all spaceship and aliens really grabs my attention me. but i also like intractable characters even if it just asking question from a list,it helps add alittle bit of immersion to my game. also being able to look down as see your legs (if its a FPS) i just really like, far cry 2 was great for this.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
-unique settings
-stealth mechanics
-customization (either weapons, or characters)
- Shapeshifting and pets in RPGs/MMORPGs (I will often pick weaker class just because of this)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Vehicles.
Dark atmosphere.
Expansive Vistas I can explore.
Getting out of the level.
Good stuff!

Ollybol8

Feb 3, 2011
-Extreme realism like far cry 2 when you can see your hands and feet and all the animations
-First Person
-Customization
-Stealth
-Open World/exploration

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
-Blood & gore. I freaking LOVE it.
-Interesting and/or meaningful exploration.
-Rich background (as in Lore)
-balanced multiplayer (like Halo's).
-with co-op as an option, not shoving it up my throat.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
A few of the things I'm looking for:

4-player splitscreen co-op / versus: Because sometimes, you just want to have the fun of playing with a party of 4. Halo is one of the few series to preserve this that I can think of off the top of my head (at least where you have the option to go online).

Strategic Depth: I love RTS games, but most are just crap. Balance is a nightmare and most developers just sort of drop it and run. In particular I'm a huge fan of StarCraft 2, and will happily spend a day watching a pro tournament in awe of the skill and strategy of those players. They discuss, write, and have people analyze every move from beginning to end of game.

If it's a single player only game, I want some depth in how I build my character. Specializations, talents, etc. I also want there to not be a clear 'best': "Obviously you HAVE to get ________" etc.

Competetive Balance/Design: Ties into my last point. I like playing a game and being able to dig in and analyze it to see how I could have done better or how I outplayed my opponent. Few things frustrate me as much as "bullshit" unavoidable deaths / losses in other games (e.g. enemy spawns directly behind you, etc). If I'm better than someone, I want to take the win. If I lose to someone, I want it to because they outplayed me and I can learn from what I see.

I find most RPG's to be entertaining for a while, but if I do play one I want to be free and not stuck in one fixed plot. The Final Fantasy games hold no allure to me, but I've enjoyed my time in the Elder Scrolls.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
Gunner 51 said:
I particularly find it interesting that they touch upon the fact that Garrus is actually hindered by his friendship with Shepherd. Really gave me pause to take a longer look at his character. And they're loyal to it, too. Each time you reencounter him, he's pretty much flourished on his own. Then it's back to weapon calibrations on the Normandy, and playing second fiddle to Shepherd.
It's funny you mention that because in the Lair of the Shadow Broker - what you just said gets mentioned almost entirely word for word should you decide to look up Garrus' dossier on the Shadow Broker's spaceship.

But given the end of Mass Effect 3 (which I haven't quite got to yet) - perhaps there will be room for a Garrus lead game in the future. It'd be interesting to play as someone with their own personality instead of a hero who needs a personality transplant via the player.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
-Multiple levels that are all complex and interconnected so that both collecting items and backtracking are necessary to get through the whole game (Metroidvania)
-The ability to make your own stuff (Minecraft will end me)
-Solid platforming
-Creative fighting games with creative fighters (Bloody Roar/Killer Instinct/Zero Divide/etc.)
-Sprites
-Puzzles mixed with monsters attacking, in 3D worlds specifically (basically Zelda)
-Video game music that doesn't try to sound like a movie soundtrack, but actual video game music.
-Horror games that are actually unnerving and not mindless action schlock with gore. (The original Silent Hills)
-Mascots (Mario, Sonic, Gex, Crash, etc. were all MUCH better then the boring everyman we now play as in every game)
-Japanese story telling (because only they could take something like Disney, and turn it into something like Kingdom hearts)
-MegaMan (If they keep doing what they did with 9 and 10, they could push it all the way to 90 and I would buy and enjoy every single one. Speaking of witch I am totally dying without my fix right now)
-Pixelated photos passed off as game sprites (I think Mortal Kombat looked its best in 1, 2 and 3. I even liked the way the Street Fighter Movie game looked. I also liked the clay animation stuff from Primal Rage)
-Dinosaurs (man I missed when every game was about dinosaurs and not boring zombies. I am SO GLAD I grew up during the Jurassic park boom)

So yeah, basically everything not in games right now! ...God I'm depressed.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
-Medieval/fantasy setting that's fresh and original, if only slightly (I know that's a self contradicting statement, but you get it).

-Good cutscenes. Stuff like Final Fantasy where the characters look unbelievably realistic and the scenes help drive the plot forward. They don't take too long, they're there in the right places and they don't overstay their welcome. MGS4's cutscenes were awfully long! They hd a reason for being so long...but still!

-Interesting characters and the ability to interact with them, either via choice or by cut-scenes. This is why I didn't like Half-Life 2 a lot; it's almost as if I was a ghost.

-Character customization and the ability to see my character's face from time to time (Well done, Dragon Age)

-Fluid gameplay and controllers. No one likes a clunky game.

-Adequate music.

-Colorful graphics, whether its 2D or 3D.

-Well-done dialogue and a deep plot. I don't mean something like Metal Gear (Again, I love MGS). I mean something like a good plot that has a reason for being. Sprinkle some good dialogue and you can have all my spare time forever.

-Swords and cool outfits. Sorry, I'm just a sucker for those. Am I right, Final Fantasy?

-Steampunk. Very few games do this successfully, though.

-A good XP system that's not overwhelming. Diversity's good, but I don't wanna spend half of the game developing every quirk about my character. I'm looking at you, Skyrim.

-A LONG GAME. I cannot stress this enough. I have those FPS that only last about 5 hours. What's that? Those games are meant to be that way? Well, fuck that. No thanks. That's why I lean more towards RPGs. I'd like to think I spend 60 bucks on a game that I won't finish in about a week. (Replay value is not that important to me)

-Side quests are nice.

-Cell shading is also nice.

-Romance is king. I'm a sucker for well-developed and believable love stories. What can I say?

Overall, I'm almost immediately interested in: RPGs, action/adventure, pseudo-stealth, some FPS, and side scrollers.