Your Pokemon Gym

Pinkiequasar

Jun 9, 2010
To get to me in my gym, you would have to run from cover to cover, avoiding the machine gun fire from my MG42. Because it's pokemon, you don't die if you're hit, you'll just faint and end up back at the entrance to the gym to try again.

Once you reach me, I'll have a single pokemon

Wondertomb level 100
with the moveset:
Roar
Whirlwind
Spikes
Splash with max PP (64)

All of these are chosen to piss you off. The only way to win (without Foresight or Odor Sleuth) is to wait until I run out of PP and Struggle to death. You would need to bring a tonne of potions, elixers and patience to outlast me (124 turns).

(If Game Freak can hack the game to get level 40 Dragonite, or level 38 Lampent, I can have a Spiritomb with Wonderguard and this moveset)

Without cheating, I would have:

Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34

All of them would hold focus sash and only know the moves Endeavor, Quick Attack and Crunch. This would be the last gym so your pokemon would be grossly overpowered and guaranteed to lose unless you use a Ghost type.

(For those of you wondering, the focus sash keeps me alive at 1 HP after your first strike, Endeavor takes you down to the same HP as me (1 if your pokemon are any good), and then Quick Attack finishes you off. Crunch is there for those pesky Ghost types)

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
possibly a Grass gym... with only 2 pokemon so the can be a higher level, or a mixed gym with 5-6. i think natures are randomly generated for trainers, so i wont bother with those.

Lillygant/Own Tempo - Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, Petal Dance, Synthesis (get them to sleep, attack/recover/boost-stats as neccesary)

Breloom/Poison Heal (holding Toxic Orb) - Spore, Focus Punch, Facade, Leech Seed(?) (get them to sleep, facade the flying type they send out, focus punch everything else they switch out to, but put everything to sleep basically. use leech seed in a situation where focus punch isnt usable but facade doesnt work... such as an Insomniac Ghost-Type)

in this case, my gym would be a bog, with ponds and mushrooms. trainers could be hidden in the ponds (which dont require Surf) or in bushes, or posing as mushrooms. given that bogs and marshes are very volitile, this gym would be a basic maze in structure.
Trainers use various bog-based pokemon, such as the breloom i use, and maybe even stretching to that stunfisk, quagsire, etc.
that does open up my types a little, so...

Open with:
Whiscash - Earthquake, Surf, Ice Beam, Zen Headbutt/Future Sight/Other (catch out fire and flying type type openers, a grass type is possibly still beatable if the worst happens.)

Forretress - Spikes, Stealth Rock, Explosion, Ohter (probably Bug Bite) (and i think you can see where im going with that one)

lillygant, breloom...

pushing it a little, perhaps Poliwrath/Damp - Hypnosis, Focus Punch, Waterfall, Circle Throw (to force spikes damage)

this might look better in the Elite Four, rather than a gym. the pokemon are roughly 45-50, and arent too specific on type, although the new elite four are dead-set on a singular type now. in which case, my room would be the marshy bog, and my spiral staircase could be one of those wooden cage lifts, lifting them past the nice purple poison-y smog cloud and too my platform on top of the central tree.
as long as these pokemon are quick enough, i think theyll give anyone a hard time.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Korkymann said:
Without cheating, I would have:

Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34
Rattata level 34

All of them would hold focus sash and only know the moves Endeavor, Quick Attack and Crunch. This would be the last gym so your pokemon would be grossly overpowered and guaranteed to lose unless you use a Ghost type.

(For those of you wondering, the focus sash keeps me alive at 1 HP after your first strike, Endeavor takes you down to the same HP as me (1 if your pokemon are any good), and then Quick Attack finishes you off. Crunch is there for those pesky Ghost types)
what if they have a increased priority move aswell... their higher speed trumps you. also what if they confuse you, or put you to sleep, or use a multihitting attack like double kick, etc.?
there are many ways around this strategy and any decent player will have at least 1 of them somewhere in their party.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Korkymann said:
Wondertomb level 100
with the moveset:
Roar
Whirlwind
Spikes
Splash with max PP (64)
toxic, confusion, burn...
also, flying types take no damage from spikes.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
It's always been Dark-types for me. They're cute and tricksy evil bastards and that is why I love them.

Sableye
Absol
Zuruzukin Scrafty (Damn, it used to have such a cool name...)
Weavile
Honchkrow
Hydreigon

My gym would just be a line heading straight to the gym leader...then four guys would run out with knives and take your wallet. If you can't defeat them, how do you plan to to take on a three-headed dragon?

Pinkiequasar

Jun 9, 2010
garjian said:
what if they have a increased priority move... confuse you, or put you to sleep, or use a multihitting attack like double kick, etc.?
there are many ways around this strategy and any decent player will have at least 1 of them somewhere in their party.
Hence my Wondertomb strategy.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Korkymann said:
garjian said:
what if they have a increased priority move... confuse you, or put you to sleep, or use a multihitting attack like double kick, etc.?
Hence my Wondertomb strategy.
debunked it on page 3.
toxic murders your spiritomb because you cant switch out.
youre not great at this are you? :/

Pinkiequasar

Jun 9, 2010
garjian said:
That's why I'm level 100 with 6 full restore. Also, damaging you isn't the point, the spikes are there only because I put on Roar and Whirlwind. This is designed with the idea of getting you pissed off or bored so you rage quit.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Canid117 said:
I would just be me
Yes... yes you would.

Anyway, +1 zubat idea or using some 1st gen types or my Treecko.

Also, I'd make it the first gym you encounter and put in nothing but your counter, ie lightning, fire and water. All level 99. You better believe your arse you'll have to grind some wilds to get past me buddy.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Korkymann said:
garjian said:
That's why I'm level 100 with 6 full restore. Also, damaging you isn't the point, the spikes are there only because I put on Roar and Whirlwind. This is designed with the idea of getting you pissed off or bored so you rage quit.
just reapply it 7 times.
nothing hard about that when you cant kill all my pokemon, and i can kill you with toxic as much as i like.

Pinkiequasar

Jun 9, 2010
garjian said:
just reapply it 7 times.
nothing hard about that when you cant kill all my pokemon, and i can kill you with toxic as much as i like.
Not everyone is a strategy master (or apprentice). My usual approach to Pokemon would be completely owned with Wondertomb. Also, this isn't supposed to be unbeatable, just really, really annoying.

EDIT: That's why I keep switching your Pokemon and have max PP Splash.

EDIT 2: I know Spikes doesn't work on Flying, that's why I didn't use Stealth Rock.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Ooo. I'm going to have to say my bug team which I actually used in Gold until I got to the Steel gym and my cartridge won't let me save now! *cry*

Yanma (Although would have swapped this for a Pinsir, Heracross or Pineco)
Butterfree
Parasect
Scyther
Venonat/Venomoth
Ariados

Ahh, that team was awesome.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I think my gym wouldn't be a main gym, it would be a bonus gym. My team would be a random selection of pokemon used by EVERY other gym leader out there.

The puzzle would be pokemon trivia questions with varying degrees of difficulty and you have to always fight a trainer which will tell you interesting facts about the pokemon universe

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
I'll be a ground type gym using:

Nidoqueen
Swampert
Flygon
Krookodile
Hippowdon
Gliscor

and my puzzle would be opening and closing trapdoors to get through, but the switches that close the trapdoor are set on a timer, and here's the catch, you can fall through the trapdoors. fall through the wrong ones and you end up in a pit at the bottom of the gym where a bunch of the gym trainers reside, ambushing the unlucky ones.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
You'd have to pay to enter, pay to advance, pay to fight me, pay to have me stop cheating, and pay to get your badge if you won.

...Then you'd have to pay to stop the hunt.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
My gymn would be the battle tower! That's all I really need to say. It would be the best gym ever!
I actually wish that the games would do something like this, or have all the gyms use battle tower rules, to make them more skill based than grindy.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I think.. a Dinosaur type gym. Not going with type.. but with appearance.

Environment would be designed to look like some sort of savannah with a couple tree's.

My lineup would be my Dinosaur team from Pearl.

Rhydon
Tropius
Tyranitar
Aerodactyl
Bastiodon
Rampardos

My puzzle would probably be a 'survival of the fittest' style challenge, where the doors locked and you had to survive a series of 3 trainer battles beforehand before facing the leader. Using an escape rope works to get you out but resets the challenge.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Mine would be a Fire type gym Consisting of

Daramatian
Quilava
Charmeleon
And finally a Charizard

All these Pokemon will know moves to counter their weaknesses and thanks to B/W most fire type can learn Wild Charge ^_^ Along with Ground moves to counter the Rock Types =D

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
Dragon Gym (because I love dragons, when I got Emerald the first thing I did was catch Bagon and level him 2 hours straight to get him to Salamence)

The line up:

Kingdra
Gyradaos
Druddigon
Garchomp
Salamence
Hydreigon

The Trap:

A Long corridor, a frogger style walk. Elemental Beams will shoot from the sides of the room, if you walk into one, all of your Pokemon will be afflicted by an ailment (Fire = Burn, Ice = Freeze, Grass = Sleep, Electric = Paralyzed) and you will be pushed into a side room to face a trainer. If you can reach the end without hitting a beam you will be much better off. Oh and there are holes in the ground, easy to see but stepping on it will take you back to the beggining.

EDIT: By first thing I did, I meant as soon as I could catch a Bagon, not when my starter Pokemon was level 1 =D

May 28, 2009
My Anti-Fish Water type GYM

Pelipper
Crawdaunt
Walrein
Poliwrath
Swampert
Feraligatr

This is actually my current team in soul silver (just switched it on to check, well minus walrein I have a spheal instead)

Puzzle would be a series of small steams that every 20 seconds push the player uncontrollably back to the gym entrance with a gush of water, the only way to avoid the water is to step into small passages with trainers inside.

The badge at the end is of a a magikarp with a big cross through it.

(In case you have not realised, I am not a fan of fish)