Your video game hot take(s) thread

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Man if you'd-a told me years ago that all thousands of gamers wanted to do with their digital entertainment is to simulate playing cards I'd have laughed in our face, but here we are.
I think a lot of people are just satisfied with interesting mechanics and cards are a simple and effective way to implement a mechanic heavy game without also needing a lot of concentration and twitch reflexes.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I think a lot of people are just satisfied with interesting mechanics and cards are a simple and effective way to implement a mechanic heavy game without also needing a lot of concentration and twitch reflexes.
Yeah, I was reminded of this yesterday when I started playing Dredge. It's a cute game that is all the indy rage now and it's fine, but it's just moving a little boat around lol. It has a bunch of systems that work well together though and that is its appeal. Apparently a lot of gamers are just frustrated systems engineers.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Resident Evil 4 Remake is better than the original RE4. Also, this is the most consistent Ada has ever been in an RE game now. Yeah, I said it.

I know the Remake can't replace the original for many and I agree to an extent, but I don't have much love nor admiration for the original game. I have even less patience for RE4 now than I even did back then. For me at least, the remake downright replaces the original. The Remake cut out all the unnecessary fat and padding that plauged the original release. Removing the insta-death ☠ qtes is a godsend, as I really have no patience for QTEs anymore. Outside of finishing moves when an enemies already stunned or near death.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Resident Evil 4 Remake is better than the original RE4. Also, this is the most consistent Ada has ever been in an RE game now. Yeah, I said it.

I know the Remake can't replace the original for many and I agree to an extent, but I don't have much love nor admiration for the original game. I have even less patience for RE4 now than I even did back then. For me at least, the remake downright replaces the original. The Remake cut out all the unnecessary fat and padding that played the original release. Removing the insta-death death ☠ qtes is a godsend, as I really have no patience for QTEs anymore. Outside of finishing action moves when an enemies already stunned or near death.
How does it compare to The Evil Within 2?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How does it compare to The Evil Within 2?
It depends on what you're looking for. While EW2 is definitely an action horror game, there's still more of a slower build by comparison. Not to mention you're soaking up the atmosphere and Evil Within 2 plays more like the Resident Evil games from the PS1 era combined with SH, though with the updated in modern trappings with some old school philosophy design. One thing EW2 does have over RE4 REMAKE is better side quests by default. You not only learn more about what's going on in Mobius and Stem, but you have personal side quests for Sebastian that developed his character further or reveal the trauma he has to move past.

Speaking of Sebastian, while he won't be pulling off roundhouse kicks and suplexes, he is more than capable performing some basic melee moves, but it's clearly not a specialty. After all, he's a former detective that's been drinking for 3 years. That said, he can stomp on downed enemies, he has better stealth options than Leon, can stab an enemies if he's crouched and he used a flash bang bolt on them. Does having an evasion move, but it has to be bought as an upgrade first before you use it.

RE4 Remake does have slightly better pacing with its level design, but it's really only a small advantage. Both games have great weapons variety, with EW2 having a few more, and allowing you to keep your weapons. You never have to sell your weapons. If there's a weapon you don't want to use, then you don't have to use it. You use weapon parts and materials to upgrade your weapons. The green goo currency is used exclusively for Sebastian's stealth, aiming, and power skills.

RE4R does have better enemy variety, but so does the original as well. Not that Evil Within 2 is lacking, but it gets somewhat noticeable by late game. That said, a lot of the common fodder are capable of doing so many things and dynamically interacting with their environment, that it's a non-issue.

Both games have a great story, but I give the edge to EW2. Especially that finale. I won't spoil in case you still haven't played it yet. Between the two, I prefer EW2, but RE4R is no slouch either. If you want pure survival or with grounded action in the mix, play EW2. If you want arcade style action horror, then RE4R you will be playing more of. Either way I highly recommend both, but I suggest you get started on EW2, because you've been wanting to play that for a long while now.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing on the easiest difficulty setting, and people who are going to judge others for doing so can get bent. Games are supposed to be about having fun, and for some people, the trade-off between challenging yourself and feeling a sense of accomplishment is not worth the stress and frustration to achieve that accomplishment.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing on the easiest difficulty setting, and people who are going to judge others for doing so can get bent. Games are supposed to be about having fun, and for some people, the trade-off between challenging yourself and feeling a sense of accomplishment is not worth the stress and frustration to achieve that accomplishment.
This is no longer a hot take. I see this sentiment everywhere now.

A real hot take would be the opposite: easy modes are for losers!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A real hot take would be the opposite: easy modes are for losers!
Which was the status quo until early-mid 7th generation. Funny how the tables have turned. I've always been a "play the way you want to play" type of person and move on. As long as said person(s) or people are having fun, and not going out of their way to hurt anybody, then I see no issue.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Sure, but no complaining that a game has boring gameplay if someone is playing it on the easiest setting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

A true gamer thinks and act for themselves. They just don't repeat what "everybody" else is saying in the echo chamber or hive mind. Constantly sucking the genitals of some loud mouth person online, as if they have the final word or authority on things. That's not the gamers thinking for themselves, they're just having some random jerk off thinking and speaking for them. No one speaks or thinks for me. I come to my own conclusions like anybody else.

Welcome to the hot take threads, not the cold take threads. You want that? Go to any video game thread on Reddit or GameFAQs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I know the Remake can't replace the original for many and I agree to an extent, but I don't have much love nor admiration for the original game. I have even less patience for RE4 now than I even did back then. For me at least, the remake downright replaces the original. The Remake cut out all the unnecessary fat and padding that plauged the original release. Removing the insta-death death ☠ qtes is a godsend, as I really have no patience for QTEs anymore. Outside of finishing action moves when an enemies already stunned or near death.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, if anyone here sounds mad...
No worries, it's all in good fun. I admit that I am passionate about my opinion, but I am just sick and tired of people over praising Resident Evil 4 original. While at the same time some of those same people undermining the accomplishments of other over the shoulder survival horror games that came out afterwards. It's one of the few echo chambers I grew beyond tired of hearing years ago. It's why I had that little speech.

Shinji is fine and he did nothing wrong.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To add to this, certain YouTube reviewers are either complaining or stating that most Normal difficulty modes are too easy for certain games (usually AAA, but they have been throwing this complaint at smaller games as well). Not every case is one to one, but for the more challenging games: Normal mode is not "too easy", you're just at a higher skill level (not trying to feed egos here) and have been playing hard games for years where you want to challenge. There's a good reason most people pick normal mode. They want a fair balance in difficulty, while at the same time having a challenge without being too overbearing.

Last edited: