Your video game hot take(s) thread

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
The soldier boss character in Resi Evil 4 remake should've been Gary Busey, as in played by, named and modelled after. Not sure if they were thinking of him while developing the game, but I certainly was while playing it, subconsciously saying to myself "damnit Gary Busey, don't be a tool! Put that arm down!"

I'm not insane, I swear.
View attachment 8493

View attachment 8494

Wait, forgot the hat!
View attachment 8495

-

View attachment 8498

Hat? Hello??
View attachment 8497
Krauser might've as well *be* modeled after him. Or Dolph Lundgren. Or Rutger Hauer. Or any white, blonde 80s action movie baddie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Krauser might've as well *be* modeled after him. Or Dolph Lundgren. Or Rutger Hauer. Or any white, blonde 80s action movie baddie.
Believe or not, but the original Krauser is modeled after Sgt. Barnes (Tom Berenger) from Platoon. They both have similar facial scars. Krauser also has elements of Rambo, and is more or less his evil counterpart. The remake Krauser becomes a Vergil expy.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I find these scenes in the RE Remakes more engaging and take them more seriously than anything from TLOUS I & II (especially that bad edge lord fanfic II), or any game that tries too hard to be "serious, dark, and art", while coming off inept and insecure. I care about what happens to these characters. I can't say the same for the game that try to be dark and edgy for the sake of being "subversive and deconstructive". I'm gonna add House of the Dead in being more thoughtful with its characters while I am at it.

It's the difference between a passion project and Oscar bait. Tlou feels like something written the way it is, not because the writer feels those emotions but because they mathematically understand what tugs at people's heart strings. Another analogy would be your best friend who's a dork but you love them anyway cause you're buds versus a politician who glad hands and says "all the right things" because it's required for their job.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Hot take : I like Peter Molyneux.

Generally speaking, I like overly ambitious people with huge revolutionary pipe dreams that peter out. And I believe that, with each game that he presented as a life-redefining experience, he really had a sincere belief (a solid wishful thinking) that it would turn out this way. Genuine big ideas, and genuine will to try it out, succeed or bust (and ending up neither, just with some half-baked mundane product that he'll still see as grandiose through a huge deal of squinting).

Ah also let's be hoonest, he did produce a lot of very good games (Populous, Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper, allegedly The Movies), that did feel daringly different. But even if he hadn't, I would have appreciated his childlike edwoodism.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Hot take : I like Peter Molyneux.

Generally speaking, I like overly ambitious people with huge revolutionary pipe dreams that peter out. And I believe that, with each game that he presented as a life-redefining experience, he really had a sincere belief (a solid wishful thinking) that it would turn out this way. Genuine big ideas, and genuine will to try it out, succeed or bust (and ending up neither, just with some half-baked mundane product that he'll still see as grandiose through a huge deal of squinting).

Ah also let's be hoonest, he did produce a lot of very good games (Populous, Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper, allegedly The Movies), that did feel daringly different. But even if he hadn't, I would have appreciated his childlike edwoodism.
Not so long ago I would've agreed with you. But nowadays he's doing the NFT cryptocurrency gaming grift, and somehow found success from it, if I remember correctly too, which kinda makes it worse.

Wait, I got receipts!

-

Own hot take: I really enjoy both HZD games and don't even hate Aloy: as a single player protagonist with 'AAA adventure protagonist syndrome' I think she gets way more heat than all the other beloved AAA protagonists, like even to the point of some (admittedly impressive, on a surface level) intricate psycho-analysis of how she can't be a real person. Critical psycho-analysis of which I've literally never seen applied to any other of the popular AAA characters to this day. She's just another plain old eager videogame adventurer, less annoying than the quipping masses of competition, and a pleasant enough conduit to enjoy the actual gameplay of psychedelic robot-fucking-dinosaur battles!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Not so long ago I would've agreed with you. But nowadays he's doing the NFT cryptocurrency gaming grift, and somehow found success from it, if I remember correctly too, which kinda makes it worse.
Ah I said I liked him, I didn't say he wasn't a moron.

I can imagine how NFTs would make him go all "oooh, edgy, it's so the next thing". The same way VR or AI would.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can imagine how NFTs would make him go all "oooh, edgy, it's so the next thing". The same way VR or AI would.
Like him all you want, hut Peter is just another schemer, and he's know it. He's pulling the same bullshit with a different face. He's only done a few good games. Everything else was either bad, mediocre, or never delivered. Molyneux hasn't done anything useful since Fable II.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Like him all you want, hut Peter is just another schemer, and he's know it. He's pulling the same bullshit with a different face. He's only done a few good games. Everything else was either bad, mediocre, or never delivered. Molyneux hasn't done anything useful since Fable II.
I haven't played Fable 2, but I did play a bit of Fable 1 and I wouldn't really classify it as something useful - I mean even in entertainment terms. It was already a very molyneux high concept that fell completely flat. A game which concepts certainly looked extraordinary in his imagination, and completely failed to be implemented.

But I don't think he's a "schemer". I interpret him as being sincere (if not honest intellectually, mostly self-deluded) when he pitches grandiose ideas, or ideas that sound grandiose to him. And I respect such enthusiasms and train wrecks, because we need such trains to be hurled in new experimental directions, and it does take some delusion (prospective about the possibilities, and retrospective about the level of failure) to dare hitting-and-missing towards new ground and trying again with the same energy.

This is what I find useful, and entertaining on multiple levels.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I haven't played Fable 2, but I did play a bit of Fable 1 and I wouldn't really classify it as something useful - I mean even in entertainment terms. It was already a very molyneux high concept that fell completely flat. A game which concepts certainly looked extraordinary in his imagination, and completely failed to be implemented.
Whether Fable is useful or not depends on the person. I personally didn't care about the franchise either way, but I know my older brother likes the games. While the first game was definitely unique with a time, obviously better things have come along the way and out classed it.

But I don't think he's a "schemer". I interpret him as being sincere (if not honest intellectually, mostly self-deluded) when he pitches grandiose ideas, or ideas that sound grandiose to him. And I respect such enthusiasms and train wrecks, because we need such trains to be hurled in new experimental directions, and it does take some delusion (prospective about the possibilities, and retrospective about the level of failure) to dare hitting-and-missing towards new ground and trying again with the same energy.
That honestly just makes it worse. That's the problem with the guy. Whenever he starts on a new project he ends up doing the same crap over and over again where he over promises, under delivers, or the project never gets off the ground, only to jump ship immediately like nothing happened and start the "next big thing'. The fact that he's going all in on nfts shows that he has learned nothing for over two decades. As far as I'm concerned, he's a delusional windbag that became a schemer (unintentionally). He still has to hold responsibility for his action. I can't like anf respect a guy like that. I know he ain't the worst person in the world, but the guy's got to have some type of self-awareness. Feeding into the self delusions does nothing for me, and it just makes me dislike the person the more. We got too many of those type already as it is.

It's why I respect somebody like Shinji Mikami so much. Not only did this man bring a lot to the industry, but even he knows when to admit that he's made mistakes and screwed up. He wasn't afraid to do that. There's a reason why he stepped down and retired, and I don't blame him. He's accomplished so much, and he wants to see the next generation do their own thing.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ah I said I liked him, I didn't say he wasn't a moron.

Wish I could feel as generous, but selling digital land linked to NFTs, in my eyes at least, leaves little room for benefit of the doubt that he ain't aware how much of a scam it all is. There's not much there to be able to spin into a positive, it's just hyper capitalist landlordism with nary even the bare minimum claim of being anything more. Some ppl can reach a point where they lose their mojo, last few projects don't take off, bills gotta be paid, lifestyles to be maintained, selling out becomes a more palettable option for financial stability especially if one doesn't feel their reputation has much left to lose by doing so either.

Reactions: Worgen and BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's the difference between a passion project and Oscar bait. Tlou feels like something written the way it is, not because the writer feels those emotions but because they mathematically understand what tugs at people's heart strings. Another analogy would be your best friend who's a dork but you love them anyway cause you're buds versus a politician who glad hands and says "all the right things" because it's required for their job.
I’d love to see a movie where whatever bs comes out of politicians’ mouthes is auto-translated into what they actually are thinking. That would be pretty funny.

Or hell, make a game about it, where the point would be either to make a winning campaign if you’re playing as the politician, or sabotage their campaign if you’re part of the opposition.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I’d love to see a movie where whatever bs comes out of politicians’ mouthes is auto-translated into what they actually are thinking. That would be pretty funny.

Or hell, make a game about it, where the point would be either to make a winning campaign if you’re playing as the politician, or sabotage their campaign if you’re part of the opposition.

There's a film called In The Loop, connected to the series In the Thick of It which may provide a form of what you seek tho very Brit style, also stars the Doctor Who Capaldi guy saying a lot of naughty words in a near permanent state of anger;

No trailers wanna show us the swearies?? 😔

Ok the series trailer shows us swearies at least.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Is this a hot take? Who knows. Anyway...

The Master Sword looks dumb. Maybe it looked okay back when games were just pixels, but now, even with cartoony visuals, it's a lame looking sword. It looks like a freaking toy, and any random ass sword in Breath of the Wild looks cooler than the actual Master Sword. Redesign that damn thing Nintendo.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The Master Sword looks dumb. Maybe it looked okay back when games were just pixels, but now, even with cartoony visuals, it's a lame looking sword. It looks like a freaking toy, and any random ass sword in Breath of the Wild looks cooler than the actual Master Sword. Redesign that damn thing Nintendo.
FWIW -
1683051099154.jpeg

But also -

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I dunno. I'm rather glad that the Master Sword is relatively simple in design compared to the kinds of extravagant weapons other games can have. Stuff like the Ultima Weapon Keyblade in KH2 would feel out of place.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Maybe something a bit like the Psy Locks from the Ace Attorney series?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

I think it's the wing-shaped guard that makes it look goofy. I mean, I know that's supposed to be a representation of the Hylian crest, but it just looks chunky and impractical.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

It’s certainly an opinion and one you’re entitled to have but considering some of the total bullshit in games that passes for a sword, the Master Sword is practically a study in realism.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I dunno. I'm rather glad that the Master Sword is relatively simple in design compared to the kinds of extravagant weapons other games can have. Stuff like the Ultima Weapon Keyblade in KH2 would feel out of place.
The Keyblade is just a dumb weapon. It's not a blade, it's just a key. Or maybe a Keybat, or Keyclub, or Keymace. Definitely not a blade, though.