"You're screwed" moments

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Jaeke said:
doomspore98 said:
the part in operation anchorage fallout 3 dlc, where you have to fight the super mutant overlord before you enter the facility. I was level five at the time and got my ass handed to me a lot. So I just ran passed the guy and prayed, funnily enough, that worked.
Oh damn... I remember that first Supermutant Behemoth when you're outside of GNR Studios...

Poor Private Whatever-Her-Face-Was... always so thickheaded...
Again on this one, low level ie run and pray. The funniest thing was that when I came out of GNR the behemoth gliched out on the terrain and I got to take pot shots with the crappy chinese assault rifle that I had. It took me about 7 minutes of constant shooting to kill it.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
Undead Dragon King said:
Crusader Kings 2. So many wonderful moments.

Playing as one-province minor in Wales: "The King of England has fabricated a title on your sorry ass!"

"Your awesome heir has died at age 35 of natural causes. Hope you like that Craven, Imbecilic, Arbitrary, Hunchbacked second son of yours as your heir!"

"You have been exocmmunicated at the behest of that duke that hates your guts!"

Playing as Russian duchy: "Mongol super stacks in some distant land? It's just a story!"
Yep. I played as a one province Scottish minor family, and I hate the fabricate claims thing. Although the feeling I get is no matter what happens, my family lives on through the hundreds of years... It would be awesome if Paradox linked together their strategy games. Crusader kings -> Victoria -> Hearts of Iron. In hearts of Iron, I modded in a couple of generals and pretend they are descendants of my Crusader kings family.

Mar 9, 2010
Literally the game I just quit in Sins of a Solar Empire. I set one team to be a particularly resource focused AI and it totally backfired. I was busy hammering away at their ally and their colonies when they started to send massive fleets at some of my outer-rim colonies and my homeworld. It's basically went tits up with my economy and my military so I can barely hold off their attacks and every time I build a new capital ship it ends up being destroyed in the ensuing fight.

I just quit and their economy had basically been a steady upwards climb throughout the entire game, even when I tried counter attacks and invasions, and my largest military force was half of what I saw coming from them. There's nowhere for me to go and I have no support because my two allies have occupied the other half and are warring it out to achieve nothing. There is no realistic way of me winning this one.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Riddle78 said:
Birth by Sleep. Critical Mode. Aqua or Ven.
"Too slow."
Enjoy your 30+ bouts with Vanitas.
This is true. I was level grinding Ven just to beat him. Then I read that Vanitas can be put to sleep. Hell yeah! As for Aqua, I had Deep Freeze and Zero Gravity. It turns out that he can be frozen and lifted too. Down in a single fight.

ladof84

Oct 23, 2008
Scouting the wrong way in SC2 and, by the time your scouting worker gets to the last base, yours already has zerglings in it.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Recently, I played the Predator campaign in the new AvP game in Nightmare difficulty. It's just like Hard, except you get no save points. The last boss battle against the Predalien is a *****, as the stage keeps collapsing into lava all around you.

Finally, after a few attempts, I manage to dwindle the Predalien down to its last shred of life, and fire off the killing blast with the Plasma Caster. It kills him, just as I miss a jump and I fall into the lava...

But the final cutscene starts! For a split second I thought I'd won, but in the beggining of the in-game cutscene my character finishes his death drop, and I'm booted to the beggining of the level.

That was frustrating, all the worse for the little sprinkle of hope they gave me.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
I was playing tabletop chess recently, and realized my opponent was about to attack. I might have easily been checkmated.

My response?

"Oh no! I'm in big troublebada-bang!"

We had been saying a James Earl Jones syle "bada-bang" after every move, so for some reason I said it very fast at the end of my lamentation.

'Twas funny.

Became the new inside joke with my friends.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
goodman528 said:
Undead Dragon King said:
Crusader Kings 2. So many wonderful moments.

Playing as one-province minor in Wales: "The King of England has fabricated a title on your sorry ass!"

"Your awesome heir has died at age 35 of natural causes. Hope you like that Craven, Imbecilic, Arbitrary, Hunchbacked second son of yours as your heir!"

"You have been exocmmunicated at the behest of that duke that hates your guts!"

Playing as Russian duchy: "Mongol super stacks in some distant land? It's just a story!"
Yep. I played as a one province Scottish minor family, and I hate the fabricate claims thing. Although the feeling I get is no matter what happens, my family lives on through the hundreds of years... It would be awesome if Paradox linked together their strategy games. Crusader kings -> Victoria -> Hearts of Iron. In hearts of Iron, I modded in a couple of generals and pretend they are descendants of my Crusader kings family.
Don't forget about Europa Univeralis III, (1399-1820), which is my favorite game of the bunch. There's nothing official from Paradox, but fans are actually making converters between the games so you can continue your epic history-altering adventure in exactly the way you're describing. They're currently in the process of making a CK2 -> EU3 converter, and an EU3 -> V2 converter is just about finished. Soon, you'll be able to play a massive game which spans almost every day from 1066 to the Cold War. How awesome is that?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
At the Elite Four in Red.
My Pokemon are around the low-mid 50s.
Lorelei's not so hard.
Bruno's easy shit.
Agatha's a bit tougher.
Lance takes all I've got.
Heal up for the champion.
Champion throws out lvl 61 Pidgeot.
Fuck.
Proceed to get raped by champion.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Andrew_C said:
Oregon Trail. The title screen.
It's funny, I've been hearing about Oregon Trail since elementary school but I have never played it.

Just remembered two cases. First was in Skyrim. I was exploring Southeast of the Throat of the World and saw two bears thinking "this will be easy." I shot an arrow at one of them and then saw that they were snow bears that were now very pissed off at me. Not even Whirlwind sprint could get me far enough away fast enough.

Second, just about every boss round in Gears 3 Hoard mode on hardcore or insane difficulty. Although I imagine that it's fairly hilarious to watch me running in a silverback and shrieking in terror from a berserker of any type. Although I'd like to think that watching me running away while shrieking in terror is hilarious in general.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
ThePenguinKnight said:
Just last night I finally rolled the character I plan on sticking with, hopefully. Anyway, I was about level 3 on hard mode and decided to attack a group of bighorners. I spent the entire battle being knocked on my ass and gored.
If I may ask, what game? o_o

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Eventidal said:
ThePenguinKnight said:
Just last night I finally rolled the character I plan on sticking with, hopefully. Anyway, I was about level 3 on hard mode and decided to attack a group of bighorners. I spent the entire battle being knocked on my ass and gored.
If I may ask, what game? o_o
Whoops, sorry about that! Fallout New Vegas.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ME3 towards the end...

HOW MANY BANSHEES??!! seriosuly how many??!

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
doomspore98 said:
Jaeke said:
doomspore98 said:
the part in operation anchorage fallout 3 dlc, where you have to fight the super mutant overlord before you enter the facility. I was level five at the time and got my ass handed to me a lot. So I just ran passed the guy and prayed, funnily enough, that worked.
Oh damn... I remember that first Supermutant Behemoth when you're outside of GNR Studios...

Poor Private Whatever-Her-Face-Was... always so thickheaded...
Again on this one, low level ie run and pray. The funniest thing was that when I came out of GNR the behemoth gliched out on the terrain and I got to take pot shots with the crappy chinese assault rifle that I had. It took me about 7 minutes of constant shooting to kill it.
I played on pc, so it MAY have been a mod, but I believe that there's a mininuke and fat man on the ground or on someone's corpse in the courtyard. That may speed up the process a bit.

Vault101 said:
ME3 towards the end...

This SO MUCH. And I didn't know you could escape their grabs (haven't played since I heard, about it, so not sure if it's true).

OT: Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising, playing against Chaos pre-nerf. When you saw Great Unclean One coming at your base with a couple of Bloodcrushers, and your units are out trying to cap points. Then your just kinda boned.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hattingston said:
Vault101 said:
ME3 towards the end...

This SO MUCH. And I didn't know you could escape their grabs (haven't played since I heard, about it, so not sure if it's true).

I don't think you can

once a banshee grabs you thats a life-long commitment....to being dead

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
How cute.

Ever tried to get the babel fish in the Vogon hold in the HHGTTG game without hints, and getting it before the dispenser starts going "click"? Or forgetting to pick up an obscurely mentioned tool on turn 5 of the game, only to be asked for it literally one turn before the end, when you already forgot it actually existed? Or, and this is a funny one, materializing inside your own brain?

Or running out of light so you could only watch helplessly as grues descended on you?

Ahhh, those were the days.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Playing LOL. Team is winning in kills. We decide to go for Baron. We are just about to kill it when suddenly, a wild Lee Sin appears (by flying over the wall), smites baron, places a ward behind him, kicks us away from said ward while his just respawned team teleports in on it.
We get destroyed and then they push and win.