Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Slight side note, why is it that everyone thinks that you shouldn't take Yahtzee seriously? There is a slight difference between a reviewer, and what Yahtzee is trying to be, a critic. The objective of a reviewer is to tell you whether or not it is worth buying or at the very least looking into a game. A critic is supposed to point out all of the flaws and high points in that game. That's why he never says "Buy it" or "Skip it" at the end of his reviews. His objective is to look into a game, and find the flaws, rather than look at the things worth mentioning that are good. Take him seriously, just don't let him be the only factor when you decide on getting a game.

MrNixon21

Oct 23, 2008
Please, Yahtzee, for once in your life, play the multi-player of this game. It's not even the same bloody game when you do. I started playing the MP of this game and haven't once touched the single player. People buy this game FOR the MP. That's the major selling point.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
VGFreak1225 said:
Slight side note, why is it that everyone thinks that you shouldn't take Yahtzee seriously? There is a slight difference between a reviewer, and what Yahtzee is trying to be, a critic. The objective of a reviewer is to tell you whether or not it is worth buying or at the very least looking into a game. A critic is supposed to point out all of the flaws and high points in that game. That's why he never says "Buy it" or "Skip it" at the end of his reviews. His objective is to look into a game, and find the flaws, rather than look at the things worth mentioning that are good. Take him seriously, just don't let him be the only factor when you decide on getting a game.
Because when critic chooses only one thing to mock, and ignores everything that makes the thing great, then the critic is pretty damn bad.

Also, if a 3rd person looked at his video, he wouldn't even know that the game even HAS a multiplayer mode.

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
Am I the only one who gets the impression that Yatzhee is acting like the school bully, picking on games that are clearly intended as a multiplayer expierence for their single-player? It's like reviewing a turn based game and yelling at the designers for having slow combat. This isn't the first time either. He did the same for Borderlands and (arguably) MW2. I have noticed him making an exception for a certian zombie-based Valve game. This seems to me as unprofessional of him to do. Anyway, that's my two cents. Not as funny of a video as the Heavy Rain one. I chuckled.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Awww, I was hoping he was going to review Final Fantasy XIII, which he is actually playing according to his Twitter. Maybe next week. Can't wait to see him tear it to pieces before my eyes!

Oh, and today's ZP was pretty good too. I'm not much of a shooter fan, so B:BC2 never really interested me to begin with, but I assume Yahtzee knows what he's talking about.

Jack Forge

Sep 8, 2008
the single player experience is, well, mediocre. the multiplayer game on the other hand is much more fulfilling, comparatively.

my only real gripe with the game is that it needs at least a half dozen more well thought out maps that should be applied to all game modes.

the destructible environment is useful in several ways, eliminating cover (trees, sandbags etc) and creating new and interesting entrances to buildings. Both of these aspects alone provide a expanded multiplayer experience, by not forcing you into well known bottlenecks or allowing campers a total field day. several of the multiplayer modes can also be rather simply accomplished with the destruction of the building the objective is in. which turns out to be rather handy.

overall it's more like battlefield and less like MW... several people really tend to forget which came before and which evolved from which.

Doodlebox

Mar 6, 2010
I like this game, quite a bit more than MW2.

Then again, I play Battlefield games for the multiplayer, which Yahtzee doesn't give two shits about.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
This game is nothing like Modern Warfare...i understand why he didn't like it if he was only playing the single player that was definitely sub par

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
I would consider getting BC2 if they weren't being such arrogant assholes about the game. They make fun, moch, and try to one-up MW2 at every corner. Sorry, how much have you borrowed from the Modern Warfare series and you still feel you're better then it? Shut the fuck DICE.
You are aware that DICE created a game with modern-day weapons, setting and an unlock/ranking system before Infinity Ward, right? Ever hear of Battlefield 2?

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
russia is used because russia is a good enemy, they are on equal grounds of power, they are kind of mysterious, and they have no mercy
why the hell would you not use russia? who do you want to fight, france? belgium? canada? a small african country? i bet you hate tv shows with a re-occurring bad guy too.

but really? blow their own nuts off if they were handed a real gun? i could have sworn that throughout the world right wingers where known as gun crazy militants who spend every lunch break at the shooting range?
or you know what? maybe he is half right here, most of the fps players ive ever played with still call a magazine a "clip" so ive got to imagine they WOULD blow their own nuts off given a real gun, but ive also got to imagine they were scared of the damn gun, and had a picture of BO on their wall, because its more than a likelihood.

seriously yahtzee, its getting annoying, i cant enjoy these reviews when you put your political shit into them
its like eating a nice sandwich with branston pickle, but about half way through youve discovered that the smarmy prick who made it for you unloaded his spunk into it. i dont like spunk yahtzee. (who am i kidding, this whole community would probably love get get some of that sandwich)

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Tbh i really enjoy the game, ive been a huge fan of the series since BF2, and BFBC2 is basically the same, except with the destruction. i love Yahtzee and all of his reviews, he always says something that makes me think instead of just loving or just hating a game, however i think he is wrong on this one. We all know Yahtzee doesnt get a game just for its multiplayer, and i know that this game's singleplayer isn't outstanding, i really hated the mortar sequence, but the rest of it ranged from ok to excellent, some moments of annoyance backed up with moments of brilliance, small details like the squad's conversations give you something to remain interested in during down periods, and this is only DICE's second game with a real single player. anyway, as i said we all know Yahtzee doesnt get a game just for its multiplayer but if you spend long enough on it, and you play with a good team and a good squad then this game is simpley the best multiplayer game ever, not that i wouldnt change anything, but it is really special. woww that was really long.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Didn't really tell me much about the game. Is it me or is he becoming increasingly harder to understand? Its like he talks faster after each review, if you could call it a review and not some series of puns that was meant to entertain people.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Abedeus said:
VGFreak1225 said:
Because when critic chooses only one thing to mock, and ignores everything that makes the thing great, then the critic is pretty damn bad.

Also, if a 3rd person looked at his video, he wouldn't even know that the game even HAS a multiplayer mode.
He's already said that that's not why people watch him. He's said in the past that he doesn't enjoy multiplayer very often, and he even said in his Batman Arkham Asylum review, that people don't watch him to see a game get complemented. I would be willing to bet that if you asked him, he'd rather have a developer listen to him, and take his criticism into serious consideration for their next game of the same genre, than to have someone decide on whether to not to buy a game. Especially for a game where the opinions for the single-player campaign have mostly ranged from okay, to pretty good, but never truly great. (Slight disclaimer, I haven't played BC2 yet, so I'm just reading from past reviews; this is not my own opinion that I have taken from someone else) And its not like he goes through every review without pointing out the qualities. If you look at several of his past reviews, and actually thought about what he said, it's really not all that damning if you consider everything. To this day Yahtzee's one of the most trustworthy critics I've ever seen in the industry, and its for that very reason.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
"Perfectly square-shaped hole". I have to ask: Is Yahtzee exaggerating, or does the game really blow SQUARE holes in things?
HUGE exaggeration

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Didn't really tell me much about the game. Is it me or is he becoming increasingly harder to understand? Its like he talks faster after each review, if you could call it a review and not some series of puns that was meant to entertain people.
the funny thing is, last week everyone was complaining he was talking slower

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Ph0t0n1c Ph34r said:
CORRODED SIN said:
I would consider getting BC2 if they weren't being such arrogant assholes about the game. They make fun, moch, and try to one-up MW2 at every corner. Sorry, how much have you borrowed from the Modern Warfare series and you still feel you're better then it? Shut the fuck DICE.
You are aware that DICE created a game with modern-day weapons, setting and an unlock/ranking system before Infinity Ward, right? Ever hear of Battlefield 2?
Yes, but the things they have added to the the Bad Comapany games still borrow a lot from Modern Warfare. Those are two very general points too, especailly the second. It describes any online shooter from the past 6 years: Halo, Ghost Recon, CoD, Rainbow Six, etc. Or any game that has an unlock/ranking system- Battlefield 2 didn't invent them. I'm sure that game borrowed from previous shooters. I'm thinking of little details in the game and things they do.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Heh, never cared about this game, but this review makes me dislike it..
I'm Russian myself after all.

And set pieces that kill you really suck and kill the joy, that's for sure.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
hcig said:
russia is used because russia is a good enemy, they are on equal grounds of power, they are kind of mysterious, and they have no mercy
why the hell would you not use russia? who do you want to fight, france? belgium? canada? a small african country? i bet you hate tv shows with a re-occurring bad guy too.
Maybe because Russia is actually not aggressive at all? US is much better suited for the role of Evil Empire.