Zero Punctuation: Bayonetta 2 - Sheer Joyful Energy

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
"now you'll have tons of free time on your hands"

Must've been tempting to put a masturbation joke in there.

Anyway I'm not too shocked this is on the Wii U. Nintendo wanted Manhunt 2 on the Wii and stood by it even while the game was fighting off an Ao rating and making 'moral guardians' cry.

I'll be really surprised if they're still trying to get these games on the Wii U in a year or two or if they make a game that's M rated.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Right, well now that Yahtzee solved gender issues in video games ONCE AND FOR ALL, I expect a nice respectful discussion in the comments, and I like what I've read here so far. It feels, I dare say, liberating to have a game that just embraces the ridiculous and goes off the goddamn wall with it. See that , Tomb Raider debs? You CAN have a female lead who likes what she does and is more fun to be around!
Mr. Q said:
OverHaze said:
Hate to be a pedant but she doesn't say fuck off during combos, she says "flock off". As in "flock off feather face!". Which is a reference to the first game, which was a reference to Devil May Cry...
I was going to point that out as well. But I can understand the phrase being misunderstood when you're busy shooting, stabbing, punching, kicking, and sexy posing your way through an army of monsters.

Also, if Nintendo bites the bullet and brings in Bayonetta into Super Smash Bros as a DLC character, its gonna have her more "sensual" poses and attacks toned down. If not, then I'm predicting a lot of young boys and girls are going to be drop-kicked into puberty in record time. ^^;
Like daxterx2005 already said, it wouldn't be the first time an M-rated game lead was in a Smash Bros. game. Remember Solid Snake? He couldn't use his guns, but was allowed to keep his grenades and Stinger Missles.
So, hypothetically, if Bayonetta makes it into SSB's as DLC, does this mean she won't be able to use her guns as well? Granted, she has a large array of weapons to choose from, but her four handguns tend to be her trademark in the series. Would feel rather lacking if she didn't have them. But that's how I see it.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
bobdole1979 said:
OMG Yatzheee talked about things other then the game mechanics BOY COT HIM!! ETHICS IN JOURNALISIM
When has anyone ever called Yahtzee a journalist?

I know you're joking but if you're trying to mock people it needs to have some basis in reality to be funny (or at least be a clever way of calling someone's mom a whore).

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Mr. Q said:
Darth_Payn said:
Right, well now that Yahtzee solved gender issues in video games ONCE AND FOR ALL, I expect a nice respectful discussion in the comments, and I like what I've read here so far. It feels, I dare say, liberating to have a game that just embraces the ridiculous and goes off the goddamn wall with it. See that , Tomb Raider debs? You CAN have a female lead who likes what she does and is more fun to be around!
Mr. Q said:
OverHaze said:
Hate to be a pedant but she doesn't say fuck off during combos, she says "flock off". As in "flock off feather face!". Which is a reference to the first game, which was a reference to Devil May Cry...
I was going to point that out as well. But I can understand the phrase being misunderstood when you're busy shooting, stabbing, punching, kicking, and sexy posing your way through an army of monsters.

Also, if Nintendo bites the bullet and brings in Bayonetta into Super Smash Bros as a DLC character, its gonna have her more "sensual" poses and attacks toned down. If not, then I'm predicting a lot of young boys and girls are going to be drop-kicked into puberty in record time. ^^;
Like daxterx2005 already said, it wouldn't be the first time an M-rated game lead was in a Smash Bros. game. Remember Solid Snake? He couldn't use his guns, but was allowed to keep his grenades and Stinger Missles.
So, hypothetically, if Bayonetta makes it into SSB's as DLC, does this mean she won't be able to use her guns as well? Granted, she has a large array of weapons to choose from, but her four handguns tend to be her trademark in the series. Would feel rather lacking if she didn't have them. But that's how I see it.
I don't see why she'd have to give up guns. Playstation all stars battle royale (Sony's attempt at a Smash Bros like mascot fighter) had Dante and he used his guns. Didn't give it an M rating or anything

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Rakschas said:
Why on earth would you use eagle shield in Dark Souls that thing is shit m8?!
Well it has pretty good lightning defense and higher stability than most standard shields, making it almost ideal when fighting the Titanite demons.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
FPLOON said:
What I've learned from this video:

The Wii U will have sex with the box cover to Bayonetta 2...The reason why the new Smash Bros. doesn't have Bayonetta as a playable character is because that universe can't handle her clitoris...We all should have an orgy later on because that's how diverse we are?

That last one confuses me a bit, but whatever... Who brought the Nintendo lube this time?
This is actually an excellent bulletpoint of the video. I approve everything on it... Everything.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
KazeAizen said:
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
Did you have the PS3 version of the game?
Yes. Yes, I did, and still do. Have you played all the way through it?
Yes. Here's the thing. The PS3 version was the "bad" version of the game to get for exactly the reasons you listed. Loading times for every single freaking thing you do. I had heard they managed to fix it at some point but I'm not sure. The 360 version did not have this problem. It was one of those few multi platform titles where one version was clearly better than the other one and sadly it looks like you drew the short stick. :(
Thats weird that everyone mentions the problems that the PS3 version has, because I played through on the PS3 and never noticed an issue. In fact I welcomed the load screens because you could practice your combos in them, it was really helpful sometimes for testing stuff out

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
The_Blue_Rider said:
KazeAizen said:
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
Did you have the PS3 version of the game?
Yes. Yes, I did, and still do. Have you played all the way through it?
Yes. Here's the thing. The PS3 version was the "bad" version of the game to get for exactly the reasons you listed. Loading times for every single freaking thing you do. I had heard they managed to fix it at some point but I'm not sure. The 360 version did not have this problem. It was one of those few multi platform titles where one version was clearly better than the other one and sadly it looks like you drew the short stick. :(
Thats weird that everyone mentions the problems that the PS3 version has, because I played through on the PS3 and never noticed an issue. In fact I welcomed the load screens because you could practice your combos in them, it was really helpful sometimes for testing stuff out
It wasn't the load screens that were the problem. Rather, at least from what I've heard and read, it was every single time you did something there would be a load screen/timer. Change area, load screen, pick up item, load screen. I read it was obnoxious as all get out upon initial release. It is possible that they have patched that particular problem out by now though.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
That whole thing where he mentions needing to erect scaffolding to have sex with Bayonetta....not gonna lie, if the opportunity presented itself, I'd be up for that kind of adventure.

Dakkagor

Sep 5, 2011
arkblazer said:
Oh Yahtzee what have you done? I hope you know that you are going to get lynched by Neo-femmanazis and their legions of Social Justice Whiners for having a different opinion that they do.
Oh Yahtzee what have you done? I hope you know that you are going to get doxxed and blacklisted by misogynistic mouth breathers and their legions of 'garme jurno ettics' hypocrites for a having a different opinion that they do?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
insaninater said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I'm glad Yahtzee was able to tell the difference between a sexual character and a sex object. There may still be hope for mankind.

I'm pretty sure he liked Bayonetta 2. ZP is all about nitpicking and being unnecessarily negative, it doesn't matter how good the game is, his reviews wouldn't work if they were entirely positive.
Game journalism is truly dead if Yahtzee falls. Also holy shit i found two others today (yourself and Yahtzee) who can tell the difference between being sexual and being an object! We're like an endangered species!
Do I count? I really don't care if a video game character is "objectified" or not. I figure they're fiction which already puts them beneath objects in the grand scheme of importance.

I put objectified in quotes because usually when I hear it, it's just an excuse to bash on male sexuality (calling all their lustful thoughts objectification).

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
I'm a feminist who quite likes Bayonetta. Which means nothing except that I'm one person with one opinion. Thoroughly enjoyed the first one, at least.

I continue to be more and more tempted to get a Wii U. I will buy a next gen console eventually (trying to decide if I'd rather get a PS4 or a Wii U), though none of them have reached the point where they've got enough games a I need to make it seem worthwhile. I would like to open up the Playstation library for myself in some form (I've never owned any generation of one), but the ability to play my old Wii games on the thing combined with a handful of games that seem genuinely fun and that probably won't port to PC eventually is making me give it more of a look than I expected I would a year ago.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Darren716 said:
I don't understand why if Yahtzee is going to complain about the game pad in each Wii-U review he does why he doesn't just use the pro controller, it's supported with most games and that way he won't have to bring up a hardware issue each time he reviews a game for the system.
It is a basic assumption while doing reviews that the user has the bare minimum in the way of additional equipment.

EG: on PC you expect a mouse and keyboard set-up, so that is what you use. If it doesn't work, you mention that in the review as a negative.

The upshot of this is that unless the Wii U starts shipping standard with a free pro-controller (Something I think they should at least try to boost sales) the default controller will remain the one used by reviewers.

Oldcodger

Dec 13, 2012
"...treat the controller like the face of a disobedient spouse..." was the only bit I didn't like. Just a bit beyond the pale for me. The rest was good, though. :v

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
LenticularHomicide said:
He did, however, hate Joel and Ellie, because they were goddamn sociopaths who would gladly fuck over the entire world just so that they could have their own selfish "happy ending".
Slight correction. Joel was the sociopath. Ellie was pretty much tricked because she trusted him. If you hated Joel by the end, congrats, that was the idea. It was supposed to solidify that Joel was just a broken asshole who would screw over anyone he could to secure his own happiness. You were playing as the villain the whole time. And the villain... WAS MAAAAANNNN!!!

------------------------------------

On topic: Most hilarious review in quite a few months now (other than the forced gamepad ragging... again). Despite how much he panned the character designs and story, I can't help but feel like there was a weird underlying joy in his review and he was only saying the bad stuff to try and be objective, like how Masahiro Sakurai is slowly becoming one of my favorite Game Directors, but I will never let people forget how much of a stubborn asshole he can be.

One of the rare modern episodes that's fun to watch all the way through.

EDIT*
Captcha: It hurts
Oh shut up captcha, a little positivity never hurt anyone.