Zero Punctuation: Bayonetta 2 - Sheer Joyful Energy

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
LaochEire said:
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
Did you have the PS3 version of the game?
Yes. Yes, I did, and still do. Have you played all the way through it?
Yes. Here's the thing. The PS3 version was the "bad" version of the game to get for exactly the reasons you listed. Loading times for every single freaking thing you do. I had heard they managed to fix it at some point but I'm not sure. The 360 version did not have this problem. It was one of those few multi platform titles where one version was clearly better than the other one and sadly it looks like you drew the short stick. :(
Ah, that would certainly explain it. I very much remember that when I was in the game and playing, it was quite an adrenaline rush, which was phenomenal. But, then, I'd hit the mission loads that would take forever, and the rush would decay.

There needs to be some kind of scientific study in adrenaline rush decay times for frenetic action games. Basically, the developer needs to ensure that load times and pauses are not longer than the characteristic adrenaline rush decay time, except at key moments that are intended to give the gamer's nerves a break to avoid total burnout and fatigue. In this manner, the pacing of frenetic games can be better tuned and controlled. This would probably be particularly key for frenetic games with relatively long session play times, e.g. greater than 3 hours. Just a thought.
Load issues were patched on PS3, you patch the game and choose install data on main menu and there's no issues.
Well, shit! Thanks! I'll have to load it up tonight and install the update to give it a whirl, cause I really did like the game. However, the mission loads just killed the rush so badly every time.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
MaddKossack115 said:
daxterx2005 said:
Bayonetta being in Smash is fine, we had solid snake after all.
True, but I don't recall Solid Snake acting like a flamboyantly over-the-top diva, compared to how Bayonetta makes almost every other one of her poses look like pole-dancing. I mean, can you imagine if Solid Snake fought with even half the ass-shaking and crotch-shots as Bayonet-

Wait, don't imagine that. If you do, what you will see can never be unseen.
To late...the nightmare is already implanted in my brain D:

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
bobdole1979 said:
El Comandante said:
bobdole1979 said:
OMG Yatzheee talked about things other then the game mechanics BOY COT HIM!! ETHICS IN JOURNALISIM
Yeah and how fun matters and not the size of the womens bust and her well written charakter and boring PMS-Problems.
BOY COT THE MISOOOUGENOUIST!

Because: Why not both?!
... you missed the point. btw who is boycotting misogynists?
You aren't fun, you are off the mark, and your strawman argument is the worst of this generation. Sorry old yeller, but I have to.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
geizr said:
LaochEire said:
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
Did you have the PS3 version of the game?
Yes. Yes, I did, and still do. Have you played all the way through it?
Yes. Here's the thing. The PS3 version was the "bad" version of the game to get for exactly the reasons you listed. Loading times for every single freaking thing you do. I had heard they managed to fix it at some point but I'm not sure. The 360 version did not have this problem. It was one of those few multi platform titles where one version was clearly better than the other one and sadly it looks like you drew the short stick. :(
Ah, that would certainly explain it. I very much remember that when I was in the game and playing, it was quite an adrenaline rush, which was phenomenal. But, then, I'd hit the mission loads that would take forever, and the rush would decay.

There needs to be some kind of scientific study in adrenaline rush decay times for frenetic action games. Basically, the developer needs to ensure that load times and pauses are not longer than the characteristic adrenaline rush decay time, except at key moments that are intended to give the gamer's nerves a break to avoid total burnout and fatigue. In this manner, the pacing of frenetic games can be better tuned and controlled. This would probably be particularly key for frenetic games with relatively long session play times, e.g. greater than 3 hours. Just a thought.
Load issues were patched on PS3, you patch the game and choose install data on main menu and there's no issues.
Well, shit! Thanks! I'll have to load it up tonight and install the update to give it a whirl, cause I really did like the game. However, the mission loads just killed the rush so badly every time.
Just make sure you also install the game data from the main menu too ;)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
MaddKossack115 said:
daxterx2005 said:
True, but I don't recall Solid Snake acting like a flamboyantly over-the-top diva, compared to how Bayonetta makes almost every other one of her poses look like pole-dancing.
That's just how she rolls; Snake is a protagonist who is himself a case of gritty squared, a man's man among men. Bayonetta on the other hand is a witch with pistols attached to her high heels. Just let that sink in for a minute.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
MaddKossack115 said:
daxterx2005 said:
True, but I don't recall Solid Snake acting like a flamboyantly over-the-top diva, compared to how Bayonetta makes almost every other one of her poses look like pole-dancing.
That's just how she rolls; Snake is a protagonist who is himself a case of gritty squared, a man's man among men. Bayonetta on the other hand is a witch with pistols attached to her high heels. Just let that sink in for a minute.
What I MEANT to say was that Bayonetta wouldn't get in (at least, in her current form) based on how much of she's a walking, talking, personified spewer of innuendos. Snake's problem was about killing people, or getting into dark discussions of modern warfare, all of which could be ignored during his Super Smash brawls. Compared to Bayonetta, who summons BDSM torture devices, makes double-entendres with every other line, and basically strips naked every time she pulls off a Wicked Weave for a supermove... well, that'd be a LOT of things Nintendo would have to tone down to make her even close to the T rating, let alone the E to E-10 ratings of the Smash Bros franchise.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Yahtzee said:
Well, Bayonetta's got short hair now. Of-course her outfit is supposed to be woven FROM her hair; And now we know it wasn't woven from the hair on her head, ewwww!
♫Have you heard the tail of Bayonetta's bush?♪
♪And the night that it saved us from Demons.♫
♫Nobody knew the power it had;
they just thought it was sexy and weird♪
♪Bayonetta lived a life of thrill and excitement;
Everyone feared her great giant bush!♫
♫But then when Demons were filling the sky;
She unfurled her bush and she used it to fly!♪
♪Bayonetta's bush, Bayonetta's bush;
Gargantuan thicket of Madneeeess♫
♫Bigger than Hell and denser than gold;
Truly a magical bush to behold!♪
^^

jnericsonx

Jan 11, 2011
"It's like having Priscilla Queen of the Desert open up a PTA meeting." Thank you Yahtzee for nearly ruining my monitor as I had to choose between choking on a drink or spitting it all over my monitor. Thankfully, the choking was brief. :)

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
MaddKossack115 said:
Gordon_4 said:
MaddKossack115 said:
daxterx2005 said:
What I MEANT to say was that Bayonetta wouldn't get in (at least, in her current form) based on how much of she's a walking, talking, personified spewer of innuendos. Snake's problem was about killing people, or getting into dark discussions of modern warfare, all of which could be ignored during his Super Smash brawls. Compared to Bayonetta, who summons BDSM torture devices, makes double-entendres with every other line, and basically strips naked every time she pulls off a Wicked Weave for a supermove... well, that'd be a LOT of things Nintendo would have to tone down to make her even close to the T rating, let alone the E to E-10 ratings of the Smash Bros franchise.
In order?

1: Rarely is it BDSM torture devices. The torture Attacks are usually just, you know, torture devices, or execution devices. Iron maidens and guillotines and the like. I recall one Torture Attack that was out-and-out sexual in nature; the one used on Joys.

2: Few people talk in Smash anyway, so they could pick a few lines which aren't her most overt, if they so cose.

3: They could just have wicked weaves without the stripping. I mean, that's how the Bayo games handle her alternate costumes to begin with.

No, the real barrier, the biggest one, is that she's 3rd-party, and Sakurai tends to be quite picky, Snake aside.

pimpnate82

Nov 8, 2014
I am so pleased to see that anti gg/radical feminism isn't having any effect on your hilarious reviews, sir. I'll take your politically incorrect, highly critical reviews over these stupid reviews by non gamers with a degree in gender studies any day. Keep doing what you do. You are awesome.

sexy=sexist

Sep 27, 2014
I really liked the "Not that One" bit at the beginning about female protagonists.
I do think there should be more female protagonists. However I can't help but notice how much women in games are outright hated and reviled by the very people calling for more. Someone calling Bayonetta a fighting f**k toy is not making me think they are a feminist so much as they have a issue with sex.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm not really getting the complaint about the cities being to much alike. Vigrid from the first game looked absolutely nothing like Venice and you don't really spend a lot of time in either of them.

In the first game you quickly leave Vigrid for the outskirts and in the second you never return to not Venice after the first run in with the masked man.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Hades said:
I'm not really getting the complaint about the cities being to much alike. Vigrid from the first game looked absolutely nothing like Venice and you don't really spend a lot of time in either of them.

In the first game you quickly leave Vigrid for the outskirts and in the second you never return to not Venice after the first run in with the masked man.
To be a pedant, it's named Noatun.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
"Disco danced a giant purple frog into existence..."

Can that actually happen? I might need to play this game.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I don't have a Wii U so I guess I'll have to settle for going back to watching all those Adam West Batman episodes that feature Julie Newmar's delicious backside hogging the camera, which is what screwed me up as a kid in the first place. Her and Emma Peel. And Laura Petrie in those Capri slacks.