Zero Punctuation: Bayonetta 2 - Sheer Joyful Energy

Apr 5, 2008
As it happens, the swearing issue was what finally made me give up on Thief (reboot/reimagining/whatever). As soon as new, american Garret met the "shady" merchant and they started F-ing this and F- that, I was done. It was so out of place and destroyed any immersion and good will I'd afforded it from the original trilogy. Boring taffing game and all the characters in it are taffers.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
El Comandante said:
bobdole1979 said:
OMG Yatzheee talked about things other then the game mechanics BOY COT HIM!! ETHICS IN JOURNALISIM
Yeah and how fun matters and not the size of the womens bust and her well written charakter and boring PMS-Problems.
BOY COT THE MISOOOUGENOUIST!

Because: Why not both?!
... you missed the point. btw who is boycotting misogynists?

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Evonisia said:
Surprisingly mixed rather than outright negative, how weird. Of course there are a few Zero Punctuation Wii U stuff to check off the list but yeah, an actually enjoyable review of a current gen exclusive game.

Personally I didn't have this issue with the finger strain or the update, and I think the "second verse, same as the first" stuff gets finished after the first third and it moves on with the rest of the game. I also liked the backtracking because it does it with a Halo: Combat Evolves mindset in that you're only actually in an old level for ten seconds before moving into a different part of this old level you couldn't access before (see that repeat of Assault on the Control Room when compared to Vigrid: The City of Deja Vu). That swearing business is off, admittedly, especially in cutscenes as I don't remember Bayonetta ever swearing in the first game.
She does, trust me. "Don't fuck with a witch!" Right before killing a god with her lipstick bullet.

Bayonetta was a damn weird game.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
KingsGambit said:
As it happens, the swearing issue was what finally made me give up on Thief (reboot/reimagining/whatever). As soon as new, american Garret met the "shady" merchant and they started F-ing this and F- that, I was done. It was so out of place and destroyed any immersion and good will I'd afforded it from the original trilogy. Boring taffing game and all the characters in it are taffers.
If it makes you feel better she doesn't say fuck she says flock. Yahtzee must have gotten confused by the odd accent or the music and sounds got in the way. Can't tell if you were on the fence about this game or not though.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Rakschas said:
Why on earth would you use eagle shield in Dark Souls that thing is shit m8?!
on the first Dark Souls, it's actually a really decent caster shield, It's super light for a greatshield and though it's not 100% physical def, it doesn't suck away all your stamina when hit by a stray pebble.

About Bayonetta, yes.
Although I like 2 better than one, it didn't seem to do anything particularly new or interesting. But hey great is still great.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
thaluikhain said:
A ZP video with "sheer joyful energy" in the title just seems wrong.
As does the idea of Bayonetta not only being on Nintendo, but exclusive to Nintendo, but here we are. As wrong as it seems, it is oh so right.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Right, well now that Yahtzee solved gender issues in video games ONCE AND FOR ALL, I expect a nice respectful discussion in the comments, and I like what I've read here so far. It feels, I dare say, liberating to have a game that just embraces the ridiculous and goes off the goddamn wall with it. See that , Tomb Raider debs? You CAN have a female lead who likes what she does and is more fun to be around!
Mr. Q said:
OverHaze said:
Hate to be a pedant but she doesn't say fuck off during combos, she says "flock off". As in "flock off feather face!". Which is a reference to the first game, which was a reference to Devil May Cry...
I was going to point that out as well. But I can understand the phrase being misunderstood when you're busy shooting, stabbing, punching, kicking, and sexy posing your way through an army of monsters.

Also, if Nintendo bites the bullet and brings in Bayonetta into Super Smash Bros as a DLC character, its gonna have her more "sensual" poses and attacks toned down. If not, then I'm predicting a lot of young boys and girls are going to be drop-kicked into puberty in record time. ^^;
Like daxterx2005 already said, it wouldn't be the first time an M-rated game lead was in a Smash Bros. game. Remember Solid Snake? He couldn't use his guns, but was allowed to keep his grenades and Stinger Missles.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
People who are capable of enjoying themselves: yes, this is a grotesquely underserved and underrepresented demographic in just about everything. You don't hear much from this demographic on the web because the people belonging to this demographic are too busy enjoying themselves with what they have rather than needing to launch into endless crusades against everyone else who does not agree with them (or buy the same electronics, or play the same games, or have the same personal preferences, or...). There really does need to be more games designed for people who are capable of enjoying themselves, because I think this is a vast market of critically untapped revenue potential for developers and publishers.

More OT: Now I really have to go back and give Bayonetta 1 a second chance. I stopped playing it long ago because the loads and pauses between missions were severely flow-breaking, which felt really jarring to me in a game that was otherwise so freely fluidic.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
bobdole1979 said:
El Comandante said:
bobdole1979 said:
OMG Yatzheee talked about things other then the game mechanics BOY COT HIM!! ETHICS IN JOURNALISIM
Yeah and how fun matters and not the size of the womens bust and her well written charakter and boring PMS-Problems.
BOY COT THE MISOOOUGENOUIST!

Because: Why not both?!
... you missed the point. btw who is boycotting misogynists?
I think he got your point just fine, it's just that the point is a strawman which we all is a made up one which has nothing to do with what you're implying it has anything to do with.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
"Sheer Joyful Energy", now that doesn't sound like Yahtzee... *Complains about optional options* theeere he is!

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
And I find it kind of pathetic that Yahtzee has to knock games for taking themselves seriously. I mean, Dark Souls takes itself SO seriously, but is never critiqued for it (but that game doesn't have much work put into a sequence of cutscenes that tell a story, so it must be some sort of narrative revolution, I guess).

Knocking games that earn their serious tone through character development and world building, like The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor, is really profoundly unfair. Not everyone wants to be a jokey action-adventure romp, even if the Tomb Raider reboot might have benefited from doing so. Just stop giving games shit for having the tone they choose if they pull it off reasonable.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
.. Sorry if I sound dumb but- I cannot tell if Yahtzee liked Bayonetta 2 or not. Everyone I know, along with their mom and the dog sure as heck liked it to bits. I'm pretty envious actually, because I want to play the game... yet, I don't own a Wii U to play a single game on.

Regardless, I liked how wild Yahtzee went with his review. Notice how much was going on in his panels?
I'ma assume he really did like it, seeing how he could play "Hungry Hungry Hippo" with her on a train for hours and not feel lust lol.
He liked it, that I can say for sure.

I'd go as far as to say that Bayonetta 2 might even be in his top 5 this year. Currently, it looks like Dark Souls II, Strider, Shovel Knight, Alien Isolation and this will make the cut, with the possibility of Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein and South Park Stick of Truth to be there too.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Haru17 said:
And I find it kind of pathetic that Yahtzee has to knock games for taking themselves seriously. I mean, Dark Souls takes itself SO seriously, but is never critiqued for it (but that game doesn't have much work put into a sequence of cutscenes that tell a story, so it must be some sort of narrative revolution, I guess).

Knocking games that earn their serious tone through character development and world building, like The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor, is really profoundly unfair. Not everyone wants to be a jokey action-adventure romp, even if the Tomb Raider reboot might have benefited from doing so. Just stop giving games shit for having the tone they choose if they pull it off reasonable.
I think what Yahtzee is trying to say when he complains about the brood factor is that he doesn't think those games have done it right. He said that the main character of Shadow of Mordor was completely generic, hence why should he care when he's delving into a tone that is at this point a massive cliché. He didn't like the main characters of The Last of Us, either.

He has liked unbelievably grim video games such as Limbo, Amnesia, Spec Ops: The Line, Batman: Arkham Asylum and City, FarCry 3 (the rather depressing character building part) and Silent Hills 1, 2, 3, 4, Shattered Memories and Downpour.

arkblazer

May 14, 2009
Oh Yahtzee what have you done? I hope you know that you are going to get lynched by Neo-femmanazis and their legions of Social Justice Whiners for having a different opinion that they do.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Evonisia said:
Haru17 said:

I think what Yahtzee is trying to say when he complains about the brood factor is that he doesn't think those games have done it right. He said that the main character of Shadow of Mordor was completely generic, hence why should he care when he's delving into a tone that is at this point a massive cliché. He didn't like the main characters of The Last of Us, either.

He has liked unbelievably grim video games such as Limbo, Amnesia, Spec Ops: The Line, Batman: Arkham Asylum and City, FarCry 3 (the rather depressing character building part) and Silent Hills 1, 2, 3, 4, Shattered Memories and Downpour.
Very well, but as important as original writing is execution and Shadow of Mordor really leaned into the whole dead family thing. Except the ending, that entire game shows how exhausted Talion was and how he just wanted to die and meet his family again in Tolkein heaven.

And I really can't forgive such a negative review of the Last of Us, purely because it told an unhappy story via cutscenes. I mean, it's basically the best video game story of it's kind and he shat all over it for being sad, like real life is such a fucking joyride.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Shame its not on something i'll buy, 3ds is as nintendo as i go and thats only for pokemon. Looks good and hope it sells wiiU to somebody :p

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
What's this.. fun?! We'll have none of that here, thank you. I'm going to whistle off and play some games.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
Bayonetta being in Smash is fine, we had solid snake after all.
Exactly. Might take some cleaning up (Snake wasn't allowed to smoke or swear), but remember they have Zero Suit Samus already, who doesn't have the abnormally long legs and is equally skintight. Including her might also be a sign of encouragement from Ninty asking for the developers to keep Bayonetta exclusive to them.

Pity she's too late to add to SSB-U at this point. DLC maybe? And wow, I actually just asked for something to be DLC. Now I feel dirty.

'Happy to be a game' is the line I remember best from the reviews of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, a sentiment I completely agreed with. Sounds like this one is the same way. Cheers.

thetruemelmoth

Feb 25, 2012
I am probably not hte first to say it, but:

1. Bayonetta 2 did few things notably different, for example 'mid-cutscene-instant-death-QTEs' which were a pain in the first one and don't exist in 2.

2. Bayonetta 2 is WiiU exclusive because nobody but Nintendo wanted to fund it.