Zero Punctuation: Bayonetta 2 - Sheer Joyful Energy

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
upp... he mentioned DarkSouls again. *takes a drink*
Oh crap... he DIDN'T go out of his way to bait Nintendo fans for once *drinks whole bottle*

I keep hearing comments that Bayonetta's not attractive b/c she looks like an old Librarian. Being a cougar aficionado, there was a time I'd take much umbrage to that and say THAT was "objectifying" to diss on the older ladies like that since it's a double edged sword and finding someone "not-sexual" because of a double standard about aging is basically the same thing... until Sarah Palin happened and poisoned that Trope completely by being handed scripted mannerisms to specifically appeal to the sorts who would literally faff off to a gunrack with tits strapped to it. So my question would be: Is Bayonetta just the chain-swords from god of war with a curvaceous ass strapped on? Or do her mannerisms go beyond "specifically scripted" to actually allow the Player agency as well in how "Sexual" she is? Because that's where I think the real key lies Interactive media "equality". It's not "He vs. She", it's "You versus the Dungeon-Master".

People need to stop judging the Scripted parts, and actually start judging the Player-Choice and interaction itself. If all you care about is the written narrative, then there's already tons of Movies AND BOOKS out for every social justice issue you could ever want patronage paid to. Games meanwhile just need more branching storylines, dialog, and win-states.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bobdole1979 said:
OMG Yatzheee talked about things other then the game mechanics BOY COT HIM!! ETHICS IN JOURNALISIM
It wasn't very objective. Also, he should have made his personal ties to Lara Croft more evident in this review.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Am I the only one that doesn't had craps from the pad?

Anyway that imp image at the end was too much XD

I suck at this game, but I like it a lot.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KazeAizen said:
Yes. Here's the thing. The PS3 version was the "bad" version of the game to get for exactly the reasons you listed. Loading times for every single freaking thing you do. I had heard they managed to fix it at some point but I'm not sure. The 360 version did not have this problem. It was one of those few multi platform titles where one version was clearly better than the other one and sadly it looks like you drew the short stick. :(
Considering how often I see load issues mentioned for PS3 versions of a game, I somewhat suspect it's not all that rare.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
.. Sorry if I sound dumb but- I cannot tell if Yahtzee liked Bayonetta 2 or not. Everyone I know, along with their mom and the dog sure as heck liked it to bits. I'm pretty envious actually, because I want to play the game... yet, I don't own a Wii U to play a single game on.

Regardless, I liked how wild Yahtzee went with his review. Notice how much was going on in his panels?
I'ma assume he really did like it, seeing how he could play "Hungry Hungry Hippo" with her on a train for hours and not feel lust lol.
He liked it I think, the review sound more positive then normal, and .. happy ... o_O

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
LordTerminal said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
He seemed more critical of the Wii U itself: 1) 30 minute updates and 2) awkward controller.
I chalk that up to his bias showing again. 1) Doesn't apply to pretty much every console currently out now? Or even the ones from last gen? I recall having to wait for every PS3 game I bought having to download before I could play it. And 2) I'm pretty sure the game's compatible with the Pro Controller.

See this is why I'm quick to throw the "bias" card down whenever Yahtzee complains about Nintendo. These complaints are trivial, even for him, and can be easily solved but instead he chooses to complain about them and pad out the review.
To be fair, he's made similar complaints about the Xbox One, particularly in the Ryse episode. And he complains about the PS4's touchpad whenever he's forced to use it.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
I find the GamePad more comfortable than the 360 controller ever was, but maybe it's because I don't have the giant ape hands you apparently need to appreciate Microsoft's bulky-as-frig, so-called "greatest controller ever." In any case, I'm pretty sure you can just use the Pro Controller.

Still, I'll admit I feel some smug self-satisfaction in seeing the bastard finally realize who the good guys are in this race after he pissed all over them for the better part of a decade, and we all know how Mr. Cynical McHypehate is all about smug self-satisfaction.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
.. Sorry if I sound dumb but- I cannot tell if Yahtzee liked Bayonetta 2 or not. Everyone I know, along with their mom and the dog sure as heck liked it to bits. I'm pretty envious actually, because I want to play the game... yet, I don't own a Wii U to play a single game on.

Regardless, I liked how wild Yahtzee went with his review. Notice how much was going on in his panels?
I'ma assume he really did like it, seeing how he could play "Hungry Hungry Hippo" with her on a train for hours and not feel lust lol.
Basically, He more points out the negatives then positives, hence why I can't get the image of her "Outfit" being made of pubic hair Q_Q

Still, As a long time viewer, I can say he most likely enjoyed it, seeing how he wasn't slamming game mechanics and design outside of it being just "more of the first game".
As for the lust, I'd say that'd be the "Hair" issues >.>

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
geizr said:
KazeAizen said:
Did you have the PS3 version of the game?
Yes. Yes, I did, and still do. Have you played all the way through it?
Yes. Here's the thing. The PS3 version was the "bad" version of the game to get for exactly the reasons you listed. Loading times for every single freaking thing you do. I had heard they managed to fix it at some point but I'm not sure. The 360 version did not have this problem. It was one of those few multi platform titles where one version was clearly better than the other one and sadly it looks like you drew the short stick. :(
Ah, that would certainly explain it. I very much remember that when I was in the game and playing, it was quite an adrenaline rush, which was phenomenal. But, then, I'd hit the mission loads that would take forever, and the rush would decay.

There needs to be some kind of scientific study in adrenaline rush decay times for frenetic action games. Basically, the developer needs to ensure that load times and pauses are not longer than the characteristic adrenaline rush decay time, except at key moments that are intended to give the gamer's nerves a break to avoid total burnout and fatigue. In this manner, the pacing of frenetic games can be better tuned and controlled. This would probably be particularly key for frenetic games with relatively long session play times, e.g. greater than 3 hours. Just a thought.
Load issues were patched on PS3, you patch the game and choose install data on main menu and there's no issues.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Wait, he played No More Heroes and NMH2, and is surprised that a Nintendo-console exclusive has swearing in it?

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I didn't play the first one and probably won't play this one.
Same. Devil May Cry's action never really felt right to me, and now that they made Devil May Cry: Now Dante's Clothes Fly Off for Big Combos, I'm even less drawn to it.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Sylocat said:
Wait, he played No More Heroes and NMH2, and is surprised that a Nintendo-console exclusive has swearing in it?
Well, so it is Travis and Bayonetta in Smash.

The hungry hippos were adorable.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
daxterx2005 said:
Bayonetta being in Smash is fine, we had solid snake after all.
True, but I don't recall Solid Snake acting like a flamboyantly over-the-top diva, compared to how Bayonetta makes almost every other one of her poses look like pole-dancing. I mean, can you imagine if Solid Snake fought with even half the ass-shaking and crotch-shots as Bayonet-

Wait, don't imagine that. If you do, what you will see can never be unseen.

android19

Nov 6, 2014
The second is very similar to the first, yeah, but since the original was pretty darn close to perfect it's easy to see why. Almost any change would have made the thing worse, and we don't want that.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
android19 said:
The second is very similar to the first, yeah, but since the original was pretty darn close to perfect it's easy to see why. Almost any change would have made the thing worse, and we don't want that.
To be fair, he DID say the story was sort of better than the first Bayonetta, allowing us to focus on the human emotions of the characters somewhat nice and well even amongst all the cartoonish carnage... until that gets tossed out in the third act for the "vaguely religious war" nonsense. But still, at least they tried something new there, if nothing else.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sylocat said:
It's not about the platform, it's about the character.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
OverHaze said:
Hate to be a pedant but she doesn't say fuck off during combos, she says "flock off". As in "flock off feather face!". Which is a reference to the first game, which was a reference to Devil May Cry...
Of course, "flock off" still maps to "fuck off". You say it for the same reasons, except you'd also say "flock off" to point out that the thing you're insulting has wings.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
MaddKossack115 said:
android19 said:
To be fair, he DID say the story was sort of better than the first Bayonetta, allowing us to focus on the human emotions of the characters somewhat nice and well even amongst all the cartoonish carnage... until that gets tossed out in the third act for the "vaguely religious war" nonsense. But still, at least they tried something new there, if nothing else.
Eh, there's still a fair amount of human emotion going on even when that happens.

Spoilers for the final chapters of the game.

After Bayonetta rescues Jeanne (not her sister. Well, her "umbran sister", but that's an honorific, not a denotation of actually being siblings.), she spends the next few chapters basically connecting with her parents, and seeing who they were and what they meant to each other and to her, before their deaths.

Kind of impressive that they found a way to make her connect with her father after everything that happened in Bayo 1, without it seeming extremely out of place

As for the game feeling the same? I kind of felt it was kind of like the first, but better in a number of little ways. Some combos feel better, some weapons have more differences than they used to, and they excised those damn "hit this button NOW! oops, you died. Take a score cut." QTES. Now they're only in the "mash dat button" style, which are infinitey more forgiving, and occasionally kinda fun. You only fail those if you're completely asleep at the wheel.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I'm glad Yahtzee was able to tell the difference between a sexual character and a sex object. There may still be hope for mankind.

I'm pretty sure he liked Bayonetta 2. ZP is all about nitpicking and being unnecessarily negative, it doesn't matter how good the game is, his reviews wouldn't work if they were entirely positive.