Zero Punctuation: Devil May Cry 4

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
I agree wholeheartedly. DMC 4 suffers from what I call "God of War" Syndrome. Trying to make repetitive combat fun by fighting larger enemies, with bigger weapons and impossible tasks. But then again Kratos is the God of fricken War and if he can tear the head off Cerberus then he can do whatever the heck he wants so long as he doesn't fall into the same pitfalls as every other game with a sequel (Excluding Half-Life). If a game is good, I mean really good, you make a sequel. If that sequel is good you make one more then stop. Apparently Capcom was out to lunch when this memo was sent because they've already strangled MGS and DMC to death. Why wont they learn that if the initial game was crap, the other ones will be crappier.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
TheFitcher said:
and parts just untrue (i.e. the end dice game lasting an hour. Plus there is a shortcut for it anyway
Please advise of shortcut. I've watched my fiancee play the final boss-run dice game twice. The first time took 15 minutes because she got lucky. The first time took over an hour because she didn't. The difficulty of each was inconsequential - it just took longer. Donig the same thing over and over, taking four times as long as it should simply because of game-generated luck.

Nodrog

Dec 9, 2007
lol I was laughing at the Slipknot bit.

Great review, I always thought the DMC series had its head stuck too far up its arse.

Sentient Muffin

Mar 3, 2008
I know Yahtzee's style is to focus on the negative, after all thats whats funny. But when combat is 90% of the game, one shouldn't be taking away gold stars because of 10 minutes of poorly designed platforming (Yahtzee should try Ninja Gaiden) and a couple of playing board style segments (which I can also admit, wasn't the best design choice). I dunno, maybe if I watch it later I'll enjoy it more.

*finds a gold star and puts it on the box* :)

NeoSpriggan said:
Being a fan, and at the same time sane, i cant really help but agree on most points, the ones i dont being the ones that are a part of the series and make it fun. But the retreading of everything i already did just annoys me, the adding of a "replacement" when Dante is only 29, the fact that they took Dante's moves and tried to "mix it up a bit" by cocking them up and made him react so fast that my fingers got cramps stringing combos together. But my biggest gripe of all is its too dam EASY! Devil Hunter is what Human mode should be, its an insult to play this after DMC3, where i fought with every ounce of my being to prove my gaming caliber, only to be thrown some twats "idea" of what the next game should be. I would have settled for a half assed story with just Dante and the difficulty double on what i would call the easy mode.

And as for Nero, why did they make the dam arm of his so ridiculously effective? Every move it does knocks off insane amounts of health on otherwise fairly tough enemies. The lack of new weapons is sad too, the gloves and boots are shoddy copies of BeoWulf's ones, the weird dart throwing shoulder majigger (i cant even be bothered to remember its name) is barely useful, Pandora is cool but takes too long to transform and leaves you vulnerable.

Sorry if i annoyed anyone with this rant, i was just so disappointed in it, especially since it took so long to come out, they had more than enough time to design more levels and weapons!
Honestly dude, DMC 3 wasn't THAT much harder. Once you got past Cerberus the difficulty kind of mellows out. It stays challenging, but loses the masochistic edge. By the way their ARE higher difficulties settings...

Nero's throws do a lot of damage but many of them take several seconds to execute, leaving you wide open. I mean try doing using it while fighting a group of plant lizards and see how chewed up you get.

Lucifer (the majigger) barely useful? Were we even playing the same game? That has to be the single most unbalanced weapon in the entire series (second being the shotgun in DMC 1). Here's what you do, go to the power-up menu and buy an attack called "Pin-up". Then, find the nearest big enemy and start spamming Foward+Y/Triangle. Heck, try it on a boss ;).

I'm not completely sure where all that development time went either, I assumed it went into all of Dante's moves and all the darn cut scenes. Either way, I was pretty satisfied with everything the game had to offer with the exception of the brain-dead story, which has never been one of the series strong points.

swatmajor1

Gimme 5 Minutes!
Jan 3, 2008
OK, I'll start with praise for this weeks Zero Punctuation.

Yet another entertaining, yet informative review. Joke, great. Your message about 99.9% of Japanese Anime, well understood.

Now to Devil May Cry 4.

I was fortunant enough NOT to buy it, since i won a game of Team Fortres 2 against a family member, with the loser having to buy it for all of us to play. And after an hhour or so, I actually threw the controller into the wall, causing about $500 in damages.

Now, I'm not one to just do this at random, I even played through FFXII (don't ask me why), and the urge to destroy something didn't fall over me like tar and feathers. So, this just points out the absolute shitiness this game is.

Where was I, oh yes, ZP.

Keep up the fine work, for its one of the only thing which causes me to cry with laughter apart from, well, a Xbox 360 controller going through someone's wall.

pinkspexx

Mar 5, 2008
Seriously. Its very true...this game is not that great, very much in accordance with this earlier article:

http://guitarheroine.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/devil-may-cry-4-is-not-that-great/

TheFitcher

Mar 5, 2008
Kermi said:
TheFitcher said:
and parts just untrue (i.e. the end dice game lasting an hour. Plus there is a shortcut for it anyway
Please advise of shortcut. I've watched my fiancee play the final boss-run dice game twice. The first time took 15 minutes because she got lucky. The first time took over an hour because she didn't. The difficulty of each was inconsequential - it just took longer. Donig the same thing over and over, taking four times as long as it should simply because of game-generated luck.
SPOILERS:

Basically, you just use the buster to hit the die when it is showing the number you want on top, then bingo, it'll land on that number again when it stops rolling. So theoretically, you can count the spaces till the next yellow "ladder" or orb space and wait till the die turns so that it has that number on top, buster it, wait for it to land and there we are. Might take a couple of tries to get the timing down but it's really easy. You can probably use another attack, but the buster is quick so you have less chance of messing up the timing.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Kermi said:
Once again Yahtzee brings up very real flaws in the game, mocks the hell out of them and I enjoy myself - despite the fact I also enjoyed playing the game in question. Yes, the opening credits video was really far too long but I do recall (after watching the third or so cutscene in a row) turning to my fiancee who was watching in rapt attentiveness her first DMC game ever and advising her "We're ten minutes in, I haven't done anything yet, and I don't care". She agreed.

She is also, incidentally, far better at the bloody game than I am.
Couldn't agree with you more. I put the disc in as soon as I got home from work...warmed up a plate of pizza rolls, came in right as the title screen cinematic/cool thing (when you're at the tile screen and you don't touch your controller for a few minutes it'll play...what's that called?)started...was entranced by that (made me even more pumped to play the game). Then, I start the game, and watch the cut-scenes at the beginning. Two incredibly long cinematics...and it was good.
Both the review and the game are great. I loved the review even though I have a preference for cinematic heavy games. The game was great for me mainly because I'm a semi-perfectionist and enjoy the struggle that is Dante must Die mode (2nd Dante fight is impossible unless you cheat-grab like the guy did on the youtube video...shameful) and have spent at least 30-40 hours on the game...most games last me 20 at most...very good buy if you enjoy skilled hack n slash (oxymoron that fits this game)...makes me look forward to Ninja Gaiden 2 even more.

Also. I love how these forums are usually non-flammable because of moderators...but still, try not to pick a fight with other users...it just leads to crap that I have to read without actually getting anything insightful out of it. And for future knowledge, saying "no offense, but you're a blatant moron/liar/bastard" kind of neutralizes the "no offense" part...you meant to offend...either be a man and admit that you're insulting them...or a better solution is to keep your mouth shut. Sorry for the tangent.

Deadwings

Feb 8, 2008
Best review yet, I thought it was incredible until you used Weapon of Choice at the end, and then I had to go watch the video on youtube 8 times. Thank you Yahtze, my day was turning out to suck up until this point. Now I'm happy and am content for the sucking to continue.

ZenMonkey47

Jan 10, 2008
Another gem, Yahtzee

Though I'm surprised he didn't comment on the best part in the entire game. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played through it, but it involves Dante and the incredibly obnoxious board (bored) game level.

Anyone else find it frustrating that nobody in the game ever acknowledges that Nero and Dante are exact carbon copies of one another?

Gutterpunk

Mar 5, 2008
Once again, Yatzee hit it right on the head. I know that games are a matter of preference, but really there is no reason for anyone to defend that piece of utter crap.

The only reason I kept playing was so that I could see the bosses, which are really the only thing worthy of attention in this game. I was trilled when I saw the demon, thinking "hey thats the 1st boss, imagine the other", but then I got screwed, the "other" were as lame as an evening with the in-laws. I was trilled when I saw the "Savior", I though it would beat for sure the Colossus battle in God Of War, only to be faced with a pussy priest to kill instead. Which I did. And then he was alive again, just like what had happened minutes ago in the cutscene. I mean, why bother even fighting the guy when you just saw a freaking cutscene telling you how amazingly resilient that old fart is.

But then something weird happens, they made me redo all the levels in the reverse order. Not a beautiful set of levels either, just some crappy stupid levels that I had come to hate the first time I did them.

Not only that, but the game is the easiest thing I played since pong, but then they throw those impossible "secret" mission in your face. Those missions should have been the game, with the regular level hidden as bonus.

And the whole "I'm smug, but I'm cool" thing was ridiculous. I watch my share of Japanimation, and even the worse of them have more depth to their characters. There is no excuse to come up with that kind of protagonists, only to do it again with his "nemesis"! The whole Dante VS Nero is so cheesy, it remind me of the times I (used to) pass in front of a mirror pretending that my reflection is some though guy.

Here is a good scenario for Capcom for DMC 5:
*Nero, Swinging my big ass sword*
"You talking to me?... YOU TALKING TO ME? Then who the hell are you talk.. you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here"

By chance, I played on the 360. I was damn happy not to have lost 20 minutes installing this crap of a game. This is the only positive thing I can say about the game... The gun/sword combo are only cool for so long, seeing as you do the same crap about 2000 times, only to do them again. Trying to make amazing combos gets old fast when you went through a particular room 10 times because of poor level design.

Anyway :)

Sentient Muffin

Mar 3, 2008
Gutterpunk said:
Once again, Yatzee hit it right on the head. I know that games are a matter of preference, but really there is no reason for anyone to defend that piece of utter crap.

The only reason I kept playing was so that I could see the bosses, which are really the only thing worthy of attention in this game. I was trilled when I saw the demon, thinking "hey thats the 1st boss, imagine the other", but then I got screwed, the "other" were as lame as an evening with the in-laws. I was trilled when I saw the "Savior", I though it would beat for sure the Colossus battle in God Of War, only to be faced with a pussy priest to kill instead. Which I did. And then he was alive again, just like what had happened minutes ago in the cutscene. I mean, why bother even fighting the guy when you just saw a freaking cutscene telling you how amazingly resilient that old fart is.

But then something weird happens, they made me redo all the levels in the reverse order. Not a beautiful set of levels either, just some crappy stupid levels that I had come to hate the first time I did them.

Not only that, but the game is the easiest thing I played since pong, but then they throw those impossible "secret" mission in your face. Those missions should have been the game, with the regular level hidden as bonus.

And the whole "I'm smug, but I'm cool" thing was ridiculous. I watch my share of Japanimation, and even the worse of them have more depth to their characters. There is no excuse to come up with that kind of protagonists, only to do it again with his "nemesis"! The whole Dante VS Nero is so cheesy, it remind me of the times I (used to) pass in front of a mirror pretending that my reflection is some though guy.

Here is a good scenario for Capcom for DMC 5:
*Nero, Swinging my big ass sword*
"You talking to me?... YOU TALKING TO ME? Then who the hell are you talk.. you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here"

By chance, I played on the 360. I was damn happy not to have lost 20 minutes installing this crap of a game. This is the only positive thing I can say about the game... The gun/sword combo are only cool for so long, seeing as you do the same crap about 2000 times, only to do them again. Trying to make amazing combos gets old fast when you went through a particular room 10 times because of poor level design.

Suspicious...or a typo...you claim to have spent 20 minutes installing it...yet the 360 version doesn't install itself on to the hard drive at all. Only the PS3 version installs...

bazja

Oct 3, 2007
DMC4 was so fucking cheesy. I do like Neros voice actor, though. He did a good job. Or at least the best job he COULD with all that crappy dialog. But seriously, it fucking SCREAMED MGS2. It's like they weren't even trying to hide it.

Yes, the fanboy hate against MGS2 was quite hilarious. Raiden was very pussy-whipped, but I don't think he was a bad character... Oh well, Great Review, I agree 100%.

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
X nosgoth X said:
Jiki, are you German? I don't mean anything by that, but the way you put a period behind numbers instead of saying 1st, 2nd and 3rd is something German grammar also does.
No, I'm Estonian, but I figure we have a lot of stuff common with Germans because of being under their rule for some time and stuff like that. :p
Veev said:
The Amber Spyglass wan't that bad was it? A little confusing....maybe.

The recent movie mucked up the Northern Lights though something firece.
Steven Erikson is confusing, The Amber Spyglass was just a disappointment. :p And lets not even get into the books->movie thingy, they usually always suck when you ask the fans of the original series (well, for me LOTR is an exception, but only because Jackson presented us his interesting version of LOTR while other directors try pathetically to turn good books into fast mainstream movies, a great example of those are the potter movies which I absolutely loath although I'm a big Potter fan :$).

About DMC3 - I accidentally played it on hard so I barely got to level 18 with my pathetic skill (it was my first Japanese stylish-fighting game ever) and almost got an heard-attack when I figured out that I gotta fight the bosses again, only now they seemed harder. Quit the game same day. :p

Now the anime part - I'm a pretty big fan of anime, but it's basically like live-action movies - there's tons of genres, some you like, some you don't and as it happens to be I dislike a lot of genres in anime, but still love some enough to call myself an anime fan. :)

Gutterpunk

Mar 5, 2008
Sentient Muffin said:
Gutterpunk said:
(...)

Suspicious...or a typo...you claim to have spent 20 minutes installing it...yet the 360 version doesn't install itself on to the hard drive at all. Only the PS3 version installs...
Well seeing as I said that "I was damn happy not to have lost 20 minutes installing this crap of a game", I'm not sure why you think that I did :)