Zero Punctuation: Halo Wars

Darkf0rge

Apr 2, 2009
Halo wars seemed like a really convenient target. I'd like to see dawn of war 2, which I think is half decent, probably because traditional RTS games allienate me.

Anyway for the record Unskippible are lame and unfunny, Ben's appearance actually made it watchable. And their attempt at ZP just came across as trying way to har to be like yahtzee.

hold on.

"THEY ACTUALLY GET PAID FOR THAT CGI COMMENTARY NONSENCE?"

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Unskippable guy was an excellent parody of Yahtzee. He did Yahtzee much better than Yahtzee did him.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
WHAT
ARBITRARY
SILLINESS

Great as always. The new guy at the start didn't do too bad, and I liked the end bit with the demons.

FinalValkyrie

Mar 11, 2009
Dear God this was freaking hilarious.

I woke people up in the house laughing and almost threw up laughing.

The "Clicking on pricks" and "Timer bullshit" bits were the funniest thing Ive ever heard.

Massive kudos.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
What I really like about Yahtzee`s latest reviews is that he has essentially gone back to his roots. Some of his reviews did not really qualify as "reviews" since they seemed to exist purely for the sake of humour. However, these last episodes he has gone back to actually reviewing the games and adding some humour into it.

Now, if we could just convince him to start putting different songs into the beginnings and ends of his reviews again...

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
i liked halo wars and i thought that the start was REALLY REALLY REALLY................good

good review one of the best ones you have did

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I didn't get the part at the beginning? Some annoying guy trying to be Yahtzee and failing?

Also, he mentioned Battle Royale! So does yahtzee read manga, or what?

Nova Tendril

Apr 1, 2009
Darkf0rge said:
Halo wars seemed like a really convenient target. I'd like to see dawn of war 2, which I think is half decent, probably because traditional RTS games allienate me.

Anyway for the record Unskippible are lame and unfunny, Ben's appearance actually made it watchable. And their attempt at ZP just came across as trying way to har to be like yahtzee.

hold on.

"THEY ACTUALLY GET PAID FOR THAT CGI COMMENTARY NONSENCE?"
Wasn't that the point of him doing a ZP style review?

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
The Unskippable guy was an April Fools Joke, I suggest some of you check your calenders eh?

Both guys did a good job, the Skip guy did a good parody up to where he "Ran out" of things to say.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Oh god, that was just as good as last weeks punchline. That just made my pretty miserable day. Thinks, Good Sir Yahtzee. And you too, Unskippable Guy #1

Ange1ofD4rkness

Jan 14, 2009
I keep watching that scene about the mission at the end, and love it. Still laughing hard. Although I could ahve told you an RTS on a console was a dumb idea since I was a toddler. YOu want a good RTS it's called SUPREME COMMANDER. The poor game doesn't get enough respect because of games like Starcraft. GOd damn idiots, there are better things out there and just cause the game was good back then doesn't mean it is now. FUCK! Sry about that I just hate people like that. Oh yeah Go Pony Jam!

Ashly_may

Mar 27, 2009
I thought this was an excellent review, i havent laughed at one in a while (well two or three weeks but before that a while) so i really enjoyed this one.

ginsengaddict

Aug 14, 2008
WOOO! i was one of those annoying dipshits who bugged him into doing an RTS!!

I ANNOYED YAHTZEE!! LIFE IS COMPLETE!!!

if you want a "good" RTS, try some of EA's new C&C titles - RA3 is actually pretty immersive, despite the annoying back-up general you're forced to have - but game-killing tank spam is virtually unusable, so you're forced to be smart with the game, which is where the fun of RTS play comes from, creatively smacking down the objective.. in that regard, the dawn of war franchise delivers big-time..

also, both of the petroglyph titles are pretty good, even though one of them is a star wars game and the other has a dodgy interface..

lastly, one word: starcraft.... two!

ginsengaddict

Aug 14, 2008
towyomama said:
I keep watching that scene about the mission at the end, and love it. Still laughing hard. Although I could ahve told you an RTS on a console was a dumb idea since I was a toddler. YOu want a good RTS it's called SUPREME COMMANDER. The poor game doesn't get enough respect because of games like Starcraft. GOd damn idiots, there are better things out there and just cause the game was good back then doesn't mean it is now. FUCK! Sry about that I just hate people like that. Oh yeah Go Pony Jam!
SupCom is about macromanagement, as opposed to micro.. it appeals to a different kind of gamer, one who likes tank spam.. yeah, i think yahtzee would live it..

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
It's true, patience is a virtue in RTS games and the average twitchy Halo fan won't have the patience to play Halo Wars. And as a veteran of playing an RTS based around the third-person shooter Army Men: Sarge's Army back on the N64, consoles, much like they are with FPS games, are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to playability of RTS games. Benig able to scroll over multiple targets, more accurate targeting of priority targts, they're much easier on PCs than they are on consoles.

Also, tanks are always going to be harder to maneuver than ground troops, as all ground troops are. It's easier to move around a battalion of 15 random man-children with assault rifles than it is 5 tanks capable of sending you to the moon. It follows the classic Rock-Paper-Scissors ideal of units. The fast unit defeats the long-range unit, the long-range unit defeats the powerful unit, the powerful unit defeats the fast unit.

As for X-Blades, it didn't look appealing in any way, as any game where the box art depicts a slutty woman in some semi-erotic pose is (I'd rather focus on the action of the game, not some piece of pixellated flab) not a good selling point, and 99 times out of 100 is not worth buying the game.

Finally, on the actual review, excellent as usual, Yahtzee.