Zero Punctuation: Injustice: Gods Among Us

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I for one liked MK and like Injustice. Sure the supermoves are too easy to pull off. I don't think the X-ray/supermove should just be two shoulder buttons especially since other things that are less powerful are harder to do. I think these games took the genre in the right direction. The story was refreshing as it wasn't just "pick a fighter and beat the ladder"

The issues I have (and I'm not that good at fighting games) is that some of the challenges are ridiculous and that the system has some really messed up priorities as well as poor control mechanics in places and a terribly cheap boss in Shao Khan.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Muspelheim said:
I'm pining for a game where you play as one of the civilians in the DC/Marvel universe.

You're just trying to get back home from work or down the shops to buy milk, but keep having to dodge the falling skyscrapers the supertwats keep knocking over in battle.

It'd be an interesting new take on the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing. Who are you going to sympathise with, when both supersides keeps superruining your day? And how would the superheroes and villains look from down there, on the street, from the perspective of a guy who just had his car smashed by an errant billboard casually thrown from the frey?
You should really read Marvels, a comic in the Marvel universe (duh) that depicts EXACTLY that, it's also well written and has fantastic artwork.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Sergey Sund said:
I'd like to address 3 points in a polite criticism:
1) Yahtzee is basically not allowed to "look up" things for his reviews. He needs to judge the game on its own merrits, with no prior or additional knowledge. This is because you pay upwards $60 for a product, and not for that product PLUS a wikipedia article.
So when the game does not explain what those red buffs are then Yahtzee must complain. You play the game and have no idea what's happening - even when you pay attention as close as a professional reviewer? - then that's not the player's fault.
2) The X-ray moves are still a problem. Even with all the out-of-this-world fights happening all around you, the X-ray thing must pull you out of immersion. It's not about how deep your immersion is - it's about anomalies within the game withing the DC universe.
Following comic physics and DC in-universe rules, all these heroes can exist, these fights can happen exactly as they are .... EXCEPT for the X-ray moves. Even Superman can't use his arm when the bones are completely fractured. Batman with a pulverised shoulder can't throw his Batarang, let alone lift his arm.
These things break the logic of comic physics and are therefore suspencion-of-disbelief-killers.
3) As for Yahtzee not understanding a game. Yes, that is always valid criticism. Consider, though, that Yahtzee has only one week to prepare this show, the column, the poem-bit with Jim Sterling, plus all the other stuff I don't know about. So, even in that week, he can't play the game as often and as thoroughly as he'd like.
However, I don't think that is the case here. But since I can't argue that (I have played maybe an hour of the game) I'm gonna defer to you for this, and if "the game doesn't work like that" long-term, then IDK.
Still, the special attacks are a bit lengthy for my taste.

Thanks and good night.
1) The game DOES tell you what the red aura around your character is, it explains this in the tutorial and the move list.
2) There are NO X-rays in the game, at all.
3) I agree.

One more thing I'd like to add is Yahtzee is talking bullshit when he says he had to perform the moves in the tutorial, you can skip anything you are having trouble with (including skipping the entire tutorial).

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Also, even though he doesn't really do "requests", he should have a look at Fire Emblem: Awakening on 3DS =D

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone else notice something about Yahtzee's reviews (such as they are) of fighting games in general?

Long and short, if you don't actively play fighting games, then yeah, most of what Yahtzee says probably holds some weight. If you do play a lot of fighters, then most of Yahtzee says makes him come off as either impatient, a complete idiot, or both.

No arguments about the story; it's pretty hard to weave an intricate story into a fighting game without making it like a low-scale film (like MK9) or a visual novel (a la Blazblue). But the assessment about some of the mechanics (like the Clash System; what Yahtzee's describing is more like how clashes worked in the DBZ Budokai games) and the inability to perform some rather simple maneuvers (really Yahtzee, you can't do a Bounce Cancel?) makes you wanna reach through the monitor and smack him right in the dick.

But as implied earlier, I play a lot of fighters, so a lot of things are common knowledge to me. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing fighters get a bad rap. :/

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Hehehe... so the truth finally comes out...

Yahtzee DOES have a flip-top head!
Think of all the money he must save not having to buy Oral B Reach toothbrushes!
Wonk!

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
kailus13 said:
Aptspire said:
"Suoerman either becomes fat or evil."
But... I liked 'Red Son' :(
He didn't really become evil in Red Son. He was raised by Soviets, so it was more along the lines of "lies, oppression and the soviet way"
Yeah and that's not evil at all...

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
spunkgarglewiwi said:
kailus13 said:
Aptspire said:
"Suoerman either becomes fat or evil."
But... I liked 'Red Son' :(
He didn't really become evil in Red Son. He was raised by Soviets, so it was more along the lines of "lies, oppression and the soviet way"
Yeah and that's not evil at all...
Again, he doesn't really become evil in Red Son. He always was. This is admittedly me being a semantics nazi.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
the game is good, dont get me wrong, but it has questionable balance. raven can stun lock you with a grab attack that can be used very rapidly, and you end up flopping around. a novice catwoman can put you in combos that a novice will never get out of. superman can do massive damage, and has (i believe) 2 to 3 moves that can be used to throw an enemy into the air. its lazy work, and it shows. i dont know how they balance games like injustice, but it obviously wasnt done right.

fwlzdxil

Jun 9, 2010
"I don't know what cars are for, so I'm gonna criticize how boringly round their wheels are". Seriously, Yahtzee, just stop. I mean, we like the wizeass, but on these games you sound like that cock that liked barley seed over a pearl (the first person to say "but it's totally logical" is a clinical nerd and should seek help).
And clash isn't a QTE, my gosh. It's actually a very clever system.

bullet_sandw1ch said:
the game is good, dont get me wrong, but it has questionable balance. raven can stun lock you with a grab attack that can be used very rapidly, and you end up flopping around. a novice catwoman can put you in combos that a novice will never get out of. superman can do massive damage, and has (i believe) 2 to 3 moves that can be used to throw an enemy into the air. its lazy work, and it shows. i dont know how they balance games like injustice, but it obviously wasnt done right.
None of what you mentioned is inescapable. If you don't know how to avoid that, that's lazy work on your part, not the developers.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
It's actually pretty hilarious that comic books (even and especially mainstream superhero ones) are moving away from the ridiculous "look at my good stuff" costumes for their female heroes while videogames charge RIGHT on forward.