Zero Punctuation: MindJack

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
It could have been an awesome muliplayer game if they would have taken the NPC AI mechanic of Assassin's Creed brotherhood multiplayer and then let the players mindhack NPCs and jump from NPC to NPC like they showed in the japanese trailer for the game.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Lol had forgotten all about this game... Was kinda hoping for a MvsC3 review... But fat chance...

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I logged on hoping to see a review of You Don't Know Jack, and got a lame review about ANOTHER generic third-person shooter, this time one I have never even heard of.

There are other genres! Try the other Jack game this week. The trivia game with the hilarious narrator that's just made for playing with friends! (oh wait, Yahtzee doesn't have any friends, and doesn't like playing games that aren't shooters)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The only thing I could focus on (besides the atrocious design of the game itself) was the fact that I kept having flashbacks to another recent Squeenix title (well, Squeenix commissioned and published): the shitty 3rd person shooter sections of Front Mission Evolved.

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
Don't play the game because it's really bloody bad but if you want to be that stupid here is the link to amazon, gamestop or if you want to wait a few weeks and realise just how bad it is I bet you'll be able to get it pre-owned or on "sale" for less than £8.

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
Also I know yatzee isn't a big fan on handhelds but I'd be interested to hear his opinions on the 3DS when it's released.

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Selvec said:
So what have we learnt here? Square Enix needs to stay out of the FPS and TPS (Third Person Shooter) genres. They sucks.

Prod them away with fire pokers.
I hope you are wrong, because I just started playing Deus Ex two weeks ago, I think it is a good game despite being 10 years old, and it has gotten me all excited about Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a first person shooter being published by Square Enix.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
The moment I saw "Mindjack", I knew this was going to be a glorious beat-down. Yahtzee never disappoints.

destro9

Feb 23, 2011
Well,SquareEnix had nothing to do with the DeusEX 1 and 2(Programmed by ION Storm published by Eidos) and they are only the publishers not developers of DEX 3,although they did the cut scenes.
I still have faith in DEX3 but...

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I always wonder how and why completely pointless games like this get made. I mean, even if it's complete crap, it's probably not cheap to produce. I have to think that somewhere way back when there might have actually been some good concept that initiated this game, before it was destroyed.

Sometimes I feel bad for developers who make these things. I mean, this game was already barely on anyone's radar afaik. I saw a trailer for it randomly one day and that's been about it (the trailer looked terrible). To hear that on top of being a small poorly-advertised under the radar game that it's complete garbage makes me feel sad for it, but also bewildered.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
So Mindjack is a game where people can enter your campaign game and troll you....*FLIPS TABLE OVER* I'd rather play nothing but the Bulletstorm demo for the rest of my life than this game.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Admittedly I hadn't even heard of MindJack before the review (and will definately stay away from it based on what I've now heard from Yahtzee and others). But I am curious as to whether Yahtzee guessed right about the plot twist of controlling a mindjacking element.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Mrhappyface 2 said:
This somewhat reminded me of a really buggy combination of Psi Ops, and The Nomad Soul when I first played it.
Loved psi ops if not just for the story...sadly it turned out it was a complete pile of plagarism and we never saw psi ops 2...

azukar

Sep 7, 2009
Wow, it's rare to see Yahtzee review a game he unequivocally enjoyed and thought was high-quality!

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I was hoping this game would be good when I first heard of it, the idea of playing as a disembodied, shady figure controlling civilians to foil bank robberies and such sounded completely awesome.

Of course, all those hopes were curb-stomped by the trailers. And the reviews. Sheesh.

[sub]I actually did like the first trailer with the ultra-campy voiceover, but then they had to ruin it with robot monkeys (??) and Blandy McProtagonist the Blandth. [/sub]