Zero Punctuation: Rage

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
KDR_11k said:
People who whine about the PC version probably have Ati graphics cards.
Plenty of people with Nvidea cards had problems too, there champ. Also I didn't know complaining about a product that's broken is 'whining'. Christ, what's not whining?

"The game shot flames out of the case and caught my face on fire. I don't like this game very much."

"OMGSTFU QUIT WHINING!!11!!!"

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jennacide said:
krazykidd said:
OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.
This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.
How was he not thinking for himself? He said in the first sentence (you know, the sentence that comes before the second one) he wasn't even thinking of getting it to begin with.

This merely helped cement his decision.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Meh, it was the most fun that I've had with an FPS in a really long time. id Software's games have never, to me, really been much about making a lot of sense in the story, but rather just having some fun; Rage does that.

I also don't get why having three discs is such an issue. Sure, the game was pretty short--with a lot of distraction in the middle--but I don't get why it needs a mention. It didn't subtract from the game at all.

Also, the fact that Boarderlands and Fallout 3 were mentioned was pretty bland. I'm all for opinions, though. To each their own--I enjoyed Rage greatly.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
Distorted Stu said:
Im still in half a mind to buy this. Hell i loved Borderlands and Fallout.. but i think Rage may just be its bastard child..
I thought that too, but ended up buying it anyway. Don't bother. Yahtzee actually pretty much nailed every complaint I had about the game (I got it for PS3) and I wrote a review on it for my site, and the buddy I started the site with stopped playing the campaign after he read it.

It's OK at best, but it's not absolutely horrible. I suggest FO3 GOTY if you feel the urge to play in that setting. Also, be ready for a sequel. Either that or it's perhaps THE least conclusive ending I've ever seen.

SirMouse

Oct 19, 2011
Yeah, this was a game that woulda been wonderful... if it was not a clone of Fallout 3/Borderlands. I honestly thought for the first few minutes that I WAS playing Borderlands, until my buddy showed me the title screen. The game plays ok, mostly, but the bugs in the driving and the shite ending made me glad that I wasn't the one to purchase it. Seriously, this is what people spend $50 bucks on now?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
KDR_11k said:
People who whine about the PC version probably have Ati graphics cards.
I have GTX 470 SLI and it still runs like crap. It's ignoring my SLI and the framerate constantly roller coasters up and down. The FPS drops down to EXACTLY 30 from 60 every time I stand beside an NPC.

Basically what he said...
Frostbite3789 said:
id used drivers during testing that by their own admission had seen heavy internal modification. To release a game, without testing it on drivers that actually exist in the real world, that's horrid QA. That's releasing a broken game, shrugging your shoulders and going, "Eh, not my problem. They should have different drivers."

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
"I don't see how a 3 CD game could last weeks, but a 3 DVD game, can be blown off in a weekend" - paraphrase
Here fucking here.
I am tired of developers giving up content for the sake of making their games look prettier than "the competition", or adding 25 different ways for an enemy to die, instead of adding 5 different quests.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
All i have to say is, Console gaming. Happily cutting down on gameplay and length since start of 2000.

And even your Half-life 2 you praise so much is a short Blended racer shooter game. i think the steam stats the completeion time was around 4-5 hours compared to the Master race halflife 1 12 hours non speedrun.

Its all gone to shit ever since.

OCAdam

Oct 13, 2010
Well, while I wasn't looking forward to Rage (it really did look like it was Borderlands in different packaging), I was looking forward to this review! And I left not disappointed. Jeez... not many games are of any real length anymore these days... Well, at least DXHR took a bit of time, as well as Crysis 2 (although quite easy).

While I know it's supposed to be a theme this season for Yahtzee to be SHOOTER Season 2011... I'd still like to see what insults he can throw Forza 4's way since I know he doesn't like racing games too too much (not like he can reverse my day 2 purchase of said game, but it'd still be pretty fun to see what he comes up with).

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
therockdemon said:
i have rage for the xbox 360 and i never even used the 3 disc the story just ended after you get to the top of the authority tower during the 2 disc
Erm isn't the 3rd disc for the multiplayer?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I get the impression that it has good visuals, good game play mechanics, and good animations.

But as it's an FPS it hasn't got much else going for it.

Am I right?

JayDeth said:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?
The marketing department did their job pretty well.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
VulakAerr said:
Jennacide said:
Really Yahtzee, you're going to compare the lenght of a SHOOTER to an RPG? That's amazingly stupid, even for you. There are hints of RPG, but Rage is without a doubt an FPS, as you even point out as being part of Shooter Season 2011. So compare it to an older shooter. How long was Quake or Halo? Oh, that's right, sub 10 hours. How long is Rage? 12+ hours. Yeah, games sure are getting short these daaaay.....wait, THAT'S LONGER.
VulakAerr said:
Urh said:
fanklok said:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.
Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...
You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.
Creation is not Gamebryo 2.0, it is a completely new engine. Which having actually seen the game in person now, is very apparent. Creation will likely be used for FO4 as well, though I sorta hope they use idTech 5 after they work the kinks out of it.
I'm afraid it's still based on the Gamebryo 2.0 engine. Just with many rewrites. According to Bethesda interviews, more rewrites the further they got into writing the game, but still was borne of Gamebryo 2.0
No. Creation's an engine they BASED on Gamebryo, but built it from the ground up because the company that licensed Gamebryo went out of business and they couldn't get their hands on it to actually rewrite.

Besides, Creation looks, like, 100x as awesome as Gamebryo was(and Gamebryo wasn't bad to begin with) and will be awesome.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Madara XIII said:
SickBritKid said:
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...
Yo dude calm down man! We don't need to get up in arms about Yahtzee no liking a game. I love FF6, FF4 and FF7, but it is possible that people just don't tend to like it. Not because it was groundbreaking, but because not everyone is invested into RPGs.

No need to try and RAGE against Yahtzee (Hehehe it's a Pun). He has his preferences and we have ours. Love and Tolerance bro
Sorry if I come off as angry. Yahtzee's blatant elitism just pisses me off, sometimes.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Macrobstar said:
SickBritKid said:
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...
He mentioned it as a good example, IE PS1 games on 3 disks last forever but a next gen one lasts a weekend
And he pointed an arrow at it labeled "Bad Example".

Logarithmic Limbo

Mar 13, 2011
Tried it (the PC version) at a friends house, and I am glad I did not buy it unseen when it came out. We spoke about it the other day and he could not even be bothered to finish it. Had Rage come from any other than iD it would have been lit on fire and launched from a trebuchet into a brick wall.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zanaxal said:
All i have to say is, Console gaming. Happily cutting down on gameplay and length since start of 2000.

And even your Half-life 2 you praise so much is a short Blended racer shooter game. i think the steam stats the completeion time was around 4-5 hours compared to the Master race halflife 1 12 hours non speedrun.

Its all gone to shit ever since.
I thourght RAGE was a decent length? (from the reveiws) theres ntohing I cant stand more than feeling riped off on game time

I was interested in this....leave it to the internet tto burst my bubble :(

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Got a minor correction here: on the video page you have it tagged as available for Mac OS X. Sadly for Mac men and women such as myself, id did announce an OS X version in the beginning but cut it a few months later. It is either coming later or not at all.

I bought the game for Windows, but my iMac is 4 years too old. Can't even get to the opening splash screen. Still gonna play it. Yahtzee didn't really like Borderlands yet I enjoyed it (it looked terrible, as one would expect on a 4 year old iMac, but that is not the point).

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
I get the impression that it has good visuals, good game play mechanics, and good animations.

But as it's an FPS it hasn't got much else going for it.

Am I right?

JayDeth said:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?
The marketing department did their job pretty well.
Pretty much, this game is very weird, the engine itself is fantastic, just the game itself is rather bland. It feels good to aim at things yet it isn't very fun to shoot them. It is like having a really nice car but being stuck on roads that doesn't allow you to play with it. The fact I have a make a metaphor just to explain it bugs me but like I said, weird game.

JambalayaBob

Dec 11, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
JambalayaBob said:
Frostbite3789 said:
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.
Yeah, it's totally id's fault that ATI released the wrong drivers.
Ohhhhh, that explains why plenty of people with nvidea cards also had problems.

id used drivers during testing that by their own admission had seen heavy internal modification. To release a game, without testing it on drivers that actually exist in the real world, that's horrid QA. That's releasing a broken game, shrugging your shoulders and going, "Eh, not my problem. They should have different drivers."
I had no problems with my Nvidia card. Maybe those who were having problems should actually upgrade their computers every once and a while.