Zero Punctuation: Rage

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I rarely feel the need to comment on ZP videos, but that Smashing Pumpkins reference was perfect.

...I have no particular interest in the game, I guess that says enough.

BrokenFuMaster

Sep 30, 2011
I haven't played Rage yet, but I'm taking a wild guess that the setting for the apocalypse is post-nuclear war, or something of a similar nature that's turned the oceans into dust and the people into asshats. I think it's time to assemble a list of alternate apocalypse settings that might liven things up a bit.

1. During a new ice age brought on by the magnetic reversal of the poles. People trade in their leather singlets for fur ones and all the quests involve shoveling someone's driveway and making snowmen to amuse the children.

2. World being destroyed by rapaging nanobots. More of an apocalypse in progress, which might come with a countdown in which you have to complete missions before the Earth is devoured. It could be about you getting revenge on the dick-wizard who unleashed the nanites in the first place. Also he killed and ate your daughter for good measure.

3. A zombie apocalypse, but replace zombies with unicorns. 'Unicorn Apoclaypse'. You'd play that, right?

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
I can see the point Yahtzee makes about a three disc game taking about a weekend to complete. I remember when a game having three (or four- FF VIII)discs was a sign of considerable status as far as game play time goes. But it's the same situation as FFXIII- Make it look ultra-pretty, then stuff it on three discs because one disc would get shat on (xbox that is). But at least it doesn't fill every disc with 20 hours of linear progression and/or poorly explained cutscenes.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ah Yahtzee... keep being funny and I can overlook the raging fanboyism. I'll even deal with the people on this site who interpret your videos as "reviews" instead of the entertainment they are so long as you stay funny.

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
I thought the game was pretty fun, the shooting, questing, racing, and more shooting was nice but it was way to easy. The only times I had to use defibs was when I forgot to pause to reply to a text.
And the ending sucked. I'll just say that...

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
I hate how games these days are sacrificing content for graphics. I would be happy with 03 graphics, we had Jade Empire back then, and just exapnd on that.

Oh wait... Skyrim. There is hope yet for the human race :)

Fenix7

Jun 14, 2011
Ophiuchus said:
I rarely feel the need to comment on ZP videos, but that Smashing Pumpkins reference was perfect.

I feel stupid asking this because I love The Smashing Pumpkins... but what reference?

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Fenix7 said:
Ophiuchus said:

I feel stupid asking this because I love The Smashing Pumpkins... but what reference?
Remember the refrain for "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"? "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage"? Watch the credits gag, it says "Still just a rat in a cage", referring to both the song and the name of the game.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i dint like borderlands my self. found it pretty boring. and rage seems to look the same. and since the game has bin poorly optimized for the pc, i surely give it a miss. this game also never got my interest.
and rage asks me to waste 25GB which you will finish over the weekend??? there is surely something wrong here. good looks doesnt make a game good.
i have spend a more time on deus ex: HR and mass effect 2.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Well, I had a feeling that Rage was going to be completely unimpressive the moment I saw it demo'ed at a game store.

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
Diegolomac said:
Great review, I agree that the effort on visuals means that they put less time in making the game long and really compelling even though it has three discs.

Anyways, I wonder how the hell is Yahtzee going to review what comes from here to the end of December. Just in October releases, there's still Spidermand Edge of Time, Dark Souls, Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, X-men Destiny, Forza 4, and Ace Combat Assault Horizon. And that's without counting the other, smaller ones, like Kinect titles he most certainly won't play.

November won't get any better, with Skyrim, Sonic Generations, Serious Sam 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Modern Warfare 3, Rayman Origins, Lord of the Rings War in the North, etc, etc. I wonder if he'll start reviewing two games at once, if he'll review the remaining ones next year, or if he'll just ignore more than half of the releases.
My bet is he will play them all and then condense it into a top 5 of November sort of thing :s or more likely just ignore most of them.

Good review, still trying to decide if I want this game though.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Something tells me Yahtzee won't be reviewing Dark Souls....lol

Jennacide said:
krazykidd said:
OT: Great video , wasn't even thinking of getting it , but now i won'T even get it when the price drops.
This, right here, is everything wrong with Yahtzee fans. You take an online cynics word as gospel and don't try anything for yourself.
Even though you make a good point, Rage isn't worth it. I personally have played Rage and have found it one of the most boring and lackluster shooters of the year. Every point Yahtzee hits on what's wrong with Rage is on point, although I agree for an FPS the length of the game is pretty good (even though it still sucked).

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Fallout: New Vegas featured jeans, shirts and jackets.

Pyramid Head said:
It's kind of like Resistance 3's argument. It's a graphical upgrade on a good game rather than a new exciting game that merely borrowed some references from the previous good game, only Rage is based on Fallout 3 while Resistance is Half-Life.
Uhhh no, Resistance is a grittier, FPS version of Ratchet and Clank, both of which were made by Insomniac Games.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
Am I the only person who doesn't completely despise this game? To me, it's actually kind of refreshing. It's the sort of game that is just quintessentially id Software. Monster closets. Big guns that go boom. No inane battle chatter, no lengthy cinematics, no "checkpoint reached." Just the simple fun of killing things, fermented and aged to a fine vintage. I thought it was a lot of fun... at least until the game glitched and I could not continue it. :(

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Well pretty much exactly what I thought when I saw the news about the Bethesda QA tester ripping through Skyrim in like 2.5 hours.

How the hell are these games improvements or worthy of our money when they just seem to be slipping further and further backwards on any sane measure of quality everytime we get a new one.

I have just finished playing through Dragon Age for about the 5th time and I am giving serious consideration to playing through again so I can play an Arcane Warrior because I havnt done that yet. At the same time I have Space Marine (extremely dissapointing) and Killzone 3 sitting on the floor barely touched.

The point of saying that is, some games are of such a superb quality level that you cant stop playing them (Oblivion, Battlefield 2, Deus Ex1, Fallout1 etc) and some are so average you dont want to play them past the first 20 mins. I like pretty much all games so its not like Im saying I prefer RPG's or anything. Im saying developers are releasing products that are just so half assed its really sad.

For me the prime example of this fall in quality over time is the Fallout series. Fallout 1 was such an amazingly brilliant game I still open it up now and then for a little reminder of its total awesomness. Fallout 2 was pretty good too. I dont still have it installed but I got many many hours of excellent gameplay from it over a period of months. Fallout 3 was a complete dissapointment. When I finished it without even realising I was about to finish it in about 15 odd hours I was gobsmacked. How can you take such an epic storyline as the first game and miss the point of that so totally in FA3. FA3s main storyline was like a FA1 sidequest.

Now it seems I better get used to that feeling because games are declining in quality and long term playability in an almost linear progression. 1995 your average RPG is like 100 hours of play, 2005 its like 40 hours, 2011 its like 10 hours. So whats 2020, pay $100 to look at the box art and walk out the store with a memory?

I guess I shouldnt give them ideas.

Soeroah

Aug 24, 2011
SickBritKid said:
Madara XIII said:
SickBritKid said:
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...
Yo dude calm down man! We don't need to get up in arms about Yahtzee no liking a game. I love FF6, FF4 and FF7, but it is possible that people just don't tend to like it. Not because it was groundbreaking, but because not everyone is invested into RPGs.

No need to try and RAGE against Yahtzee (Hehehe it's a Pun). He has his preferences and we have ours. Love and Tolerance bro
Sorry if I come off as angry. Yahtzee's blatant elitism just pisses me off, sometimes.

I took it as 'bad example' refering to how he said "A game on the PS1 could last weeks" while showing an image of a JRPG, which can be great fun but are usually long by their very nature, and how he compared it to a modern FPS game. The two genres aren't really comparable, so FFVII was a bad example in that context.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Okay, okay. Rage's review wasn't GREAT, but it was good. I was smirking and giggled a little. I won't withdraw the my statement on Hard Reset that I was afraid of you jumping the shark, but I will officially state that I don't believe you have hopped over said fish as of yet (becuase my opinion matters on these sorts of things).