Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
I love Shadow of the Colossus, it is possibly my favorite game on the PS2. you know what i also love? Starcraft 2... and i dont care if Yahtzee reviews it or not. If he doesnt want to review it then stop bugging him to do so, cause he will only be biased against it (more so than usual anyway) purely to spite all the nagging whiny bitches that kept asking for the review. let it go

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
The smaller ones weren't my more favorite Colossi simply because two things make the boss fights in this game great for me:
-Puzzle-platformy-ness bolstered by
-An epic, exciting feel.

The smaller guys got the first one, but look like flies compared to the likes of Phalanx. Still pretty fun in their own right.

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
Oh wow I never knew that you could recharge the grip gauge by shooting lizards, how the hell did you figure that out? Still beat in on hard though. One of the mains things that made SotC so good and such a memorable experience was the music- I actually imported the OST CD from Japan, which is the first and last time I'm imported anything. Ko Ontani is a fucking musical genius.

Also, I would totally buy a Team Ico PS2 Collection for the PS3, like what they did with God of War, if they fixed the framerates. I never played Ico but really want to. Hopefully they'll release that before (or with) The Last Guardian.

Link to SotC Soundtrack on Amazon.com for ~$30 is here: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Colossus-Earth-Kow-Otani/dp/B000BKJHOY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1281552408&sr=8-1-fkmr0

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Sabbad said:
Seriously, more adverts before the start of the video? Feeling greedy much?
Yeah, The Escapist should do away with all adverts and make their cash money by charging subscription fees. That's a great idea.

Or you could be patient for thirty seconds.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
elitestranger1 said:
yes silent hill 2 is good coz its scary but the story is wank.
Just as long as you're aware that you might be the only Silent Hill fan in history to think this.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Griphphin said:
The smaller ones weren't my more favorite Colossi simply because two things make the boss fights in this game great for me:
-Puzzle-platformy-ness bolstered by
-An epic, exciting feel.

The smaller guys got the first one, but look like flies compared to the likes of Phalanx. Still pretty fun in their own right.
Weird, I thought they were the hardest. I mean, the bigger ones are cumbersome and most of the time too slow to hit you, while the two small bastards are very fast and aggressive. And I liked that the second one had you climbing on pillars and rooftops which he would then ram. At the end, half the the battlefield was knocked down. And the first one was afraid of fire, which was kinda cute.

But I get what you mean, they aren't as epic as the bigger ones. Avion, Phalanx and that burrowing sand-snake are my favorites.

Enraged7Wolf

Jul 3, 2009
Thank you....thank you so much for the closure....oh and Fuck ShitCraft i have better things to do with my time...

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
I feel like Yahtzee far prefers ranting about not reviewing starcraft 2 to the game not actually existing.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
AWESOME! I've been waiting for this review for sooooooooo long. Feels good to finally see it.....now can you review the first Crash Bandicoot?

Also I agree on the PS2 having some of my favorite games ever. I've made it a mission to collect all of them there are just over two thousand.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Markness said:
RTS is for the thinking man, first person is for the adrenaline junky, I hope you will reconsider.
No. Turn based is for thinking, Real time is mostly about which unit you should spam the most, ESPECIALLY Starcraft 2. In Real time you have no choice but to just make the best unit over and over and send them to your enemy to kill them, all the strategy is gone by late game, but in turn based you have to consider which threats your going to face, what your opponent is going to do and what position your troops should be in for best effect. Some RTS's do this like Ground Control of WiC, but they don't get the attention or sales they deserve.

You don't even play RTS games do you? Cause to say anything close to "there is no strategy, you just spam your best unit" reeks of ignorance of the subject matter.
I guess so if Age Of Mythology (and its expansion), DoW, Ground Control, Age Of Empire's 2 and Red Alert 3 don't count for RTS's. Go play Ground Control and it makes most RTS's look like shit, and its free.
"Ignore all the good RTS games and play the one bad one, then you will agree that RTS games are bad"

Thats.........better?

I don't see how one bad RTS game that I have never heard of defines the whole genre. You most certainly can't just spam the best unit in any RTS I play.
No. It was general.

Ground Control was completely different and in terms of graphics genre defining, when most RTS's still looked like stop motion animations, Ground Control came in and made animations and graphics which defined the graphics for years to come, same with Ground Control 2.

What Ground Control did was that it gave you a mission, in the mission briefing you go to configure your units, upto 12, then you deploy and thats all you have to do the mission, the APC on the other hand would have a regeneration for these units. This provided a much more tactical thinking and valueing your units more then any other RTS had done.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Shadow of the Colossus

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Shadow of the Colossus.

Watch Video
You'll never get away with this, Ben Yahtzee Man!

You are bad! You are bad and we are good! Your badness will be the end of you, and our goodness will be our triumph!

Bad is bad - good is good!

Bad, bad, good, bad.

Good-good, bad, good.....bad!

Good.

Thumb Wars: The Phantom Cuticle Qoutes [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206341/quotes]

XenoPenumbra

God of Nothingness
Jul 24, 2008
The last statement of this review sums up how I feel bout SotC. Now I wish i had a PS2 and the fucking game. I'm craving hard for it

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Iscin said:
I think Yahtzee may have just risked losing a chunk of his viewership by disrespecting RTS gamers. Silly, silly man.
I'm sure he'll cry himself to sleep at night worrying about all of the fanboys that would stop watching a show they enjoy because of some imagined slight against their favorite game evar.

Honestly, Yahtzee is a professional troll of sorts (and I say this with love), pissing off people in clever ways is his bread and butter. If he didn't worry about pissing off fans of games before why would he start now?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Warforger said:
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Markness said:
RTS is for the thinking man, first person is for the adrenaline junky, I hope you will reconsider.
No. Turn based is for thinking, Real time is mostly about which unit you should spam the most, ESPECIALLY Starcraft 2. In Real time you have no choice but to just make the best unit over and over and send them to your enemy to kill them, all the strategy is gone by late game, but in turn based you have to consider which threats your going to face, what your opponent is going to do and what position your troops should be in for best effect. Some RTS's do this like Ground Control of WiC, but they don't get the attention or sales they deserve.

You don't even play RTS games do you? Cause to say anything close to "there is no strategy, you just spam your best unit" reeks of ignorance of the subject matter.
I guess so if Age Of Mythology (and its expansion), DoW, Ground Control, Age Of Empire's 2 and Red Alert 3 don't count for RTS's. Go play Ground Control and it makes most RTS's look like shit, and its free.
"Ignore all the good RTS games and play the one bad one, then you will agree that RTS games are bad"

Thats.........better?

I don't see how one bad RTS game that I have never heard of defines the whole genre. You most certainly can't just spam the best unit in any RTS I play.
No. It was general.

Ground Control was completely different and in terms of graphics genre defining, when most RTS's still looked like stop motion animations, Ground Control came in and made animations and graphics which defined the graphics for years to come, same with Ground Control 2.

What Ground Control did was that it gave you a mission, in the mission briefing you go to configure your units, upto 12, then you deploy and thats all you have to do the mission, the APC on the other hand would have a regeneration for these units. This provided a much more tactical thinking and valueing your units more then any other RTS had done.
You have to use tactical thinking, fight for map control and preserve your units in Dawn of war. Same with starcraft but you can afford to lose troops if you did more resources in damage to your opponent. I don't know what games you are playing.