Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
This was great, if for no other reason than the fact it contained the line "playing Hungry Hungry Hippos backstage at a Dragonforce concert."

Jamielordofgingers

Aug 5, 2009
I've always wondered what you'd think of a game like this. Coincidently, if you're running through the PS2's back catalogue, any chance of seeing a review of Zone of the Enders 1 or 2?

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I'm glad you're not reviewing Starcraft II. Even if it was crafted by some kind of supernatural being so that it was the pinnacle of RTS games with no flaws whatsoever, you still wouldn't enjoy it, so what's the point? It doesn't matter whether I'm watching my friends play or watching The Ryder Cup, I will still find Golf boring.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
Sabbad said:
Seriously, more adverts before the start of the video? Feeling greedy much?
It costs money to run a site, with employees, and people who make videos such as ZP. Does a 10 second advert really matter that much?

This was definitely one of the better ZPs to date.

Sanmei

Aug 11, 2010
Love to see an Eternal Darkness review, but I suspect Yahtzee didn't like that game.
Dunno, the one time I saw him comment on it, it was in the context of "Silicon Knights doesn't want to do a sequel to it out of a crippling fear of money and success." Then again, Yahtzee does acknowledge on many occasions that some games are ridiculously successful for no good reason.

*Loved that game too*

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
I understand why it isn't perfect, but if you've never played a perfect game, then what the hell did Portal do to not be perfect? You even said yourself you couldn't criticize it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
haha nice for him to take a break, get back some momentum
but wow man "damn good"? well no promises to never use those words again (lest he jams forks into his eyes) so maybe one day we'll see another game rated so well lol

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
"[Fighting a SotC Boss] is a game-playing experience that clicking your marines over to the Zerg stronghold can't really match."

Yeah... if you're playing a medium AI. The funny thing about Starcraft is the better you get, the better it gets. I didn't enjoy the original very much until I figured out what I was doing wrong, then I was hooked. Playing in gold or lower is like watching paint dry. Playing in diamond is nirvana. If it's the mechanics, whatever, but you CANNOT fault SC2 for lacking excitement or intensity. I've played all the blockbuster FPS, nothing gets blood pumping like a close SC1/2 match. Except maybe the 10th and 13th Colossi. I'm sure Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been very impressive if every fight was like the first one.

P.S. Shadow of the Colossus is my 4th favorite out of thousands of games, so nice to hear you like it and the review is great, but 1st favorite takes priority over 4th.

Soushi said:
You know, as somebody who is kinda interested in buying SC2, and would like to know wether or not it is worth it, Yahtzee is losing a lot of points with me.

Yeah its fun to be a twat from time to time and give the middle finger to the masses, but eventaully you have to buckle down and be professional. Sure, making these videos used to be just about cheap laughs, but now people have actaully come to respect Yahtzee's opinions.

Still ,it not my gig and its not my business, so as always, good review, but it is unfortuante that Yahtzee is seeming less and less like a anti-marketting bullshit-murdering vigilanty, and more like the kinda person who dances around on the river docks mooning people on passing ships.
If people are coming to Yahtzee for professional reviews, he's clearly doing his job wrong, and the video game industry is screwed because any hack with a blog could sway you idiots.

HIS "REVIEWS" ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT. He was always a dock-mooner, you just read too much into things.

Bulit523 said:
I, also, am no fan of RTS games. They are all the same game repackaged with orcs/aliens/terrorists/etc. Glad to see a reviewer who isn't all, "OOOOOHH! A new RTS! *slobber, slobber, gobble, gobble, slurp*" Keep up the good, not reviewing SC2, work.
What genre do you like? I'm sure I can describe it exactly the same way.

Grabbin Keelz said:
I remember back when they had the beta for SC2 and some fag kid at the lunch table at school constantly bragged about having it while all his fag friends offered to suck his dick to play it. My friends watched and laughed.

Lately I've made a checklist of extra extraordinary games I missed playing out on for the past few years. I checked off Colossus about a year ago and went to MGS3 soon after. My friend let me borrow Resident Evil 4 so I should probably get started on that.
Some "fag kid" at your lunch table at school? How old are you? Put Starcraft 1 on that list while you're at it. Maybe you'll have a few hairs on your balls when you're done.

Odjin said:
Isn't this getting a bit boring if you roam through empty space (in the sense of only landscape) and flooring 11 or whatever number of bosses there are? I mean what after that? Is this game really only 11 boss fights and that's it (well, except the lizard shooting he mentioned whatever this actually is).

Before packing out fanboy ranting keep in mind I didn't play that game (as I keep consoles as far aways as I can as they are unhealthy to games... see *cough*DX:IW*cough* and others) and am just asking a simply question upon seeing the description in the video and other saying mostly the same about this game.
There's 16 boss fights and YES.

I do not exaggerate at ALL when I say I'm pretty damn sure I've played enough games to register 4 digits. I played this yesterday and easily named over 400 on my first try ( http://dom2d.squarespace.com/geek-mind/ ), at which point the game began to repeat itself. I've owned almost every major home console since the Atari 2600, and have over 250 games on my Steam account, which I only started using for non-valve games a few years ago. I have a set of 3 drawers under my desk full of boxed pc games, and two large boxes full of PC games in jewel cases on top of my entertainment center. I have an SNES and N64 still hooked up to my TV with a shelf full of games each, a shelf of Genesis games, half a shelf of NES games (I mostly rented back in those days), three shelves of PS2 games, a shelf of PS1, a shelf of half Wii and half PS3, and piles of gameboy, GBA, and DS games in a shoebox, and all the stuff I missed out on I caught up with on emulators.

These are my top 10:
01: Starcraft
02: Chrono Trigger
03: Portal
04: Shadow of the Colossus
05: Metal Gear Solid
06: Knights of the Old Republic
07: Zelda: Ocarina of Time
08: Starfox
09: Final Fantasy 6
10: Half-life

So yes, it's THAT good.

Warforger said:
No. Turn based is for thinking, Real time is mostly about which unit you should spam the most, ESPECIALLY Starcraft 2. In Real time you have no choice but to just make the best unit over and over and send them to your enemy to kill them, all the strategy is gone by late game, but in turn based you have to consider which threats your going to face, what your opponent is going to do and what position your troops should be in for best effect. Some RTS's do this like Ground Control of WiC, but they don't get the attention or sales they deserve.
Oh wow, you're no higher than gold, are you? Spam the best unit? Yeah, don't worry about scouting, adapting, positioning, cheesing, harassing, expanding, denying, sniping, hiding, or countering, just mass Stalkers every single game. You're guaranteed to win, right?! Come back when you're Diamond, and I /might/ take you seriously.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Is it whole horses that tickle his fancy, or just certain parts of them?

Anyway, I never expected such a treat as to have Yahtzee review Shadow of the Colossus, and now he has. Huh. I enjoyed every part of that game, but my favourite part wasn't the Colossi, it was the climbing mechanic. I found it actually better than Prince of Persia (which was situational)! That, however, is the main reason why I was disappointed by the game... there was little replay value because all the interesting places (save one; you know what I'm talking about) are directly related to a Colossus and once they're dead the place isn't the same. I don't know why the Time Attack exists, and I don't know why none of the fun toys you get from completing it were used in the actual gameplay.

Anyway, I figured that the reason eating the lizards and fruits made you strong was the same reason killing the Colossi did... you're doing forbidden things in a forbidden land, and it's corrupting you. It's helpful, but it's not good for his soul, or whatever. It's not my body so I pretty much corrupted it as much as I wanted.

clank1013

May 21, 2009
absolutly fantastic!. i oved this game, and i think i have a new favorite episode! very well done, and great ending =)
wednesdays are what kepe my week going, and this one put a huge smile on my face.
thank you yahtzee