Zero Punctuation: Skate 2

Elim Garak

Jan 19, 2008
Meh. One of the weaker reviews IMHO. Equivalent to ripping a wooden horse off a carousel, beating it with a stick, and then pronouncing it dead.

I was never going to play the game, never interested in it, and all the statements Yatzi made are quite banal. But maybe it's just me and skating games.

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
The intro was gone?

Great review as always. If a game has terrible controls, I would stop playing it immediately. Especially, if like Yatzee said, there's too MUCH control!

"...Triangle to breathe, Square to process air, six-axis to wave your willy..." :D

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
The part about doing all the stuff + curing all the world's diseases and still not getting 1000 points made me choke on my breakfast.
And free health care? I wish! XD

ETA: OMG I just got I AM NOT ON FIRE wtf is wrong with me today??? Well, very happy you are not on fire!

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
I just rented Skate II and I've got to say that this review is absolutely BANG ON. I am by no definition a skater.

First, I have no idea what anyone is saying, even turning on the subtitles doesn't help. I thought maybe it was just because everyone in the game mumbles. Probably had their jaws wired shut. But it turns out they're speaking audibly, it's just jibberish.

I had no idea anyone in this game is a real person, so when when everyone was like HOLY SHIT IT'S DANNY WAY! I'm totally bored and unimpressed.

I also found the game is really inconsistent in it's instructions. At one point I'm challenged to do a Hippy Jump, a finger flip, and then a late flip. The game was nice enough to tell me how to do a Hippy Jump since I'd never done one, but for the next two tricks it was a big old FUCK YOU FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF, YOU NONCE.

The bone-smashing mini game is really the only thing I'm having fun with. They're even nice enough to give you money for mangling your body, so that's great. Even if you absolutely suck at skating, all you have to do is fling yourself down a hill and fall off your board for stacks of money.

I'm positive if you're into skating, the game is OMG AWESOME or whatever they're say. "Mad sick"? I dunno. Anywho, the game is really well made, but it's just so inaccessible to me.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Besides Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and Battlestar Galactica, Zero Punctuation is the highlight of my week. It is that good.

FattyMcGee

Aug 13, 2008
don't know which is funnier, ZP's reviews, or all the morons bound to get banned for posting first, week after week after week

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Ever bit in this video was fucking hilarious Yahtzee. Bravo my friend. *claps*

I'm kinda looking forward to your review of FEAR 2 (if you do one that is) because I know your either going to love it or hate it based on your expectations going in. If it helps, you may love it if you take it for an unsophisticated shooter, like I did. >_>

Dustiness

May 12, 2008
That old Yahtzee charm is there, but the subject matter, the police siren in the background (which surely warranted re-recording of that section) and the shortness of the main body of the review made it feel as though the reviewer was disinterested and uninspired by a game that failed to draw in the gamer. It's understandable from the main concern he expresses, in that the game is probably good for skaters, but bad for everyone else and he himself fits snugly into the 'everyone else' column.

Personally, I found this to be perhaps my least favourite of his reviews, but not for dislike of Yahtzee or Skate 2, but simply for the chalk/cheese effect when the two are mixed.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
loads of peeps say they got no intro... i did :S

Anyways best review in a while i think. Kept my giggles all the way through. Gotta be honest i've played the demo and merrily enjoyed throwing my skater off ramps and into broken bones. Its also good to hear that he too is stuck on GGaHT on rock band. The rediculousness (blatently not spelt right) of it. I to would like to see FEAR 2 done. But thats for the "proffesional obligations" to decide :D

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
Nice review. I liked the part about skaters feeling like they are an oppressed minority fighting for liberty, rather than a bunch of masochistic twats who wear their t-shirts over their jumpers and blindside old ladies. And the game does sound ridiculously hard to play.

Miss the intro, though.

Dyselon

Oct 3, 2007
Skate 2 wasn't created for skaters, it was created for people that played Skate 1. The first game had a much more gentle learning curve, but the second one... Well, I wonder what Yahtzee's opinion would have been if he'd only played the first one.

Reidsan

Feb 18, 2009
First post, hi.

Yahtzee, the thing with Green Grass and High Tides is that it really was the only one to justify the "tapping" bit of the Rock Band guitar. I don't know if you're using that but I found that it really helped if you use both hands to do it, then you can get the fast four-note bits with both hands. For example that blue-yellow-red-yellow bit, if you put your right hand over the blue and the yellow and tap those with your first two fingers, then get the red with the left hand, that will keep you in rhythm better and make you less likely to fail. That was the bit I found most difficult, anyway, but it went right more often if I tapped it instead.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Unless I share so little with other skaters, he is very much mistaken on how we are. I'm guessing it's the first actually. All the guys at the skatepark in bristol are twats.

ampa451

Nov 22, 2008
fiat bravo? he was never that specifis about a car. besides, arent there only ford falcons over there?

Comeonnow

Feb 18, 2009
My dreams have been ravaged :( I love Skate & Skate 2.

Despite that I was really looking forward to watching this review but to be honest it barely got a chuckle out of me. Really isnt "Best Yahtzee ever!" as most of you seem to be chirping on about it being so.

The game is very hard to pick up but the most rewarding when you have it down to a t and can flow from spot to spot bustin' sickazz moves....yo'! lawl.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Powerman88 said:
Wednesday at noon is the highlight of my week. I do not know if that's a complement for Yahtzee or a statement on how sad my life is.
It's a statement on how sad your life is.