Zero Punctuation: Splinter Cell: Conviction

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Whats a Father Christmas? AMERICAAAAA!!!!!
jk.

OT: Haven't played this game yet, it looks good. The only reason Ubisoft made it so easy was because the original games were to hard for the majority of people to play, they made it easier so they could get more money.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Wtf? all you people saying Splinter Cell has always been weak on stealth? you have got to be jokeing.Yes Concivtion is weak in the stealth deparment but it needed to change with the times.Seriouly do you all think MetalGearSolid was a better stealth game series? If you do your fulling yourself.I like both series but splintercell up till conviction kicks metalgears ass in the steath department.
Also im sure this will get me flamed but Yathzee must not have been paying much attention to the story or he would have known that the bad guys were tring to kill the president so the vice president could take over.Funny review never the less and he can hate on America all he wants but we still get our games way before Australia.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
tburke0 said:
All I'm asking is, if there's a rule that all posts before 12:05 are pulled, why not lock the thread? And yes, I waited until I could post in the first 5 minutes on a Wednesday to make my point... hurr durr...
Well, one part of the reason is that letting people get banned for things easy to catch means we have less people who ignore rules getting banned for harder to find offenses.

And the rule isn't that they can't post within 5 minutes, the rule is "no first posting". However, mods are human, and sometimes may ban before reading in the case of ZP threads. I think we've mostly stopped that these days though.

When you post something like "I enjoyed/hated this review" before it was physically possible to enjoy the review, then the only reason you are posting is to be a first post, or for something else equally inane.

If you post something legitimate and on topic (Random example of a rare post that actually contributes some discussion to a zp thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.176837.5096925]) then it doesn't matter when you post it. The end result is it is a very rare post outside of a problem report with the video that can be considered to be anything other then a "first post" in this context.

Also, if we did a 5 minute lock, we would still have the same problem with idiots waiting for the unlock to spam the thread in pursuit of a first post.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Another episode of Zero Punctuation!! I was glad I could watch this before spending eight hours in a car going to a relatives house.

But, yeah, great review. I've never been a fan of SC but, I've only played Pandora Tomorrow. It was still a good episode though.

P.S. How the FUCK could you like Hitman: Blood Money?!? That game was an utter embarrassment IMO. (don't ban me!)

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
WolfmanNougat said:
Opening with a TMNT reference? Didn't see that one coming!

Wait, you've gone through the whitehouse many times in video games and nobody's kicked up a fuss (as far as I'm aware, at least), yet as soon as a humble church gets involved in a virtual firefight, the Christians roll out the "Videogames are teh sacrelige" banners?
I guess Obama really is the only level-headed person left in America, then.

Also, I'd say the reason America is always being taken over in fiction is because they're so in love with themselves that they think everyone wants a piece because they are equally in love. Of course, this game being made in Canada kinda derails that idea a bit.
Keep in mind that in Doctor Who, London is a suspiciously common target for any and all alien invasions, and in La Jetee the focus is entirely on Paris' destruction without a peep about all the other cities of the world. America neither invented nor patented this particular expression of nationalism in media, and I'll thank you if you consider that fact before jumping to the conclusion that Americans are somehow uniquely stupid about their national pride.

RavenLoud

Apr 28, 2010
Looks like he didn't play KZ2 seeing how he praised the cover system.

Come to think of it, why didn't he review KZ2?

DurianBlink

May 5, 2010
Mad Stalin said:
DurianBlink said:
Wow Yahtzee, you're really cool shamelessly bashing the country that most of your viewers are from. It doesn't help that the people from here pay you to make these videos too. And then you actually have the balls to flash an advertisement of your book at the end.

We get it. You don't like America. You don't have to keep repeating it to all of your viewers in every video you make. Keep your political bias out of your videos. All it does is alienate viewers.
Self comedy is good for you. noone complained when southpark made fun of finland either
South Park makes fun of everything.

You don't see Yahtzee constantly taking pot shots at himself or the countries he lives/lived in.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
DurianBlink said:
Wow Yahtzee, you're really cool shamelessly bashing the country that most of your viewers are from. It doesn't help that the people from here pay you to make these videos too. And then you actually have the balls to flash an advertisement of your book at the end.

We get it. You don't like America. You don't have to keep repeating it to all of your viewers in every video you make. Keep your political bias out of your videos. All it does is alienate viewers.
Actually, those two bits (the "savages you every time you try to give it free health care" line and the plug for Mogworld)got the loudest laughs out of me in the entire video. So YMMV.

Yahtzee seems to me to be more of an all-purpose basher anyway, making fun of every nationality when the opportunity arises, including his own.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
DurianBlink said:

You don't see Yahtzee constantly taking pot shots at himself or the countries he lives/lived in.
Wait, are we talking about the same Yahtzee here? The one I know takes shots at himself about once a video, and has blasted both Britain and Australia on multiple occasions. Remember Manhunt, when he said that Australia's government "has this habit of trying pathetically hard to jump onto bandwagon issues that roll in from real countries [USA and UK]"? Or his "no one likes the British, either" in The Saboteur?

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
DurianBlink said:
Mad Stalin said:
DurianBlink said:

Self comedy is good for you. noone complained when southpark made fun of finland either

Actually, you do. Australia's anti-game policy and release dates have been bashed many times, for example, and he nailed himself many times before as well (as in that he's rubbish in bed and so forth).

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
It is so sad that my favourite video game franchise has become so weak.

I love the first Splinter Cell and Chaos Theory. That was where the real stealth occurred and you had to be clever but had options to kill or not to kill.

Conviction was all about killing lots of people.

The review amused me but missed out on the two key things that irritated me the most:
1. You can no longer move bodies around. This was one of the main stealth aspects of Splinter Cell up until now.

2. The save system blows. Terribly. It's worse than the one in Dead Rising.

DrTrevelyan

Aug 14, 2009
I liked the game, but you're review was pretty spot on.

Oh, and can there be one review where you don't take time out to go, "America sucks and all Americans are retarded nazis"

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
FoolKiller said:

The review amused me but missed out on the two key things that irritated me the most:
1. You can no longer move bodies around. This was one of the main stealth aspects of Splinter Cell up until now.
Really? I'm surprised they'd remove a feature like that at this stage. I mean, Assassin's Creed II ADDED that feature when it wasn't in Screed 1. I'm honestly perplexed by this and can see why you'd be irritated.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Meh. This one was entertaining, but not necessarily that funny. I guess that most of that comes from being hung-up on this part: O:41. (To comment on that bit, though: Damn straight we will.)

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Mad Stalin said:
DurianBlink said:

Yeah, normally that'd be true, but personally I'd have to agree with Durian here. Even I usually get a laugh out of the times when he does that stuff, like constantly portraying Americans with cowboy hats, or what have you, but here it didn't really seem funny.

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007
Lowbreed said:
I didn't even realise that there was a new splinter cell, they're like Guitar hero's now...

Well not like I ever cared for them anyway, great review. Lol'd at the last line.
No they aren't...There hasn't been a new splinter cell in like 4 years.

Awesome review, you make good points but I still adore this game, it's simply fun.