Zero Punctuation: Super Mario 3D World

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
So, its Super Mario 3 with a fatter budget and more yiffing. Also, it seems to be integrated with Facebook, in case you're not sick of social network integration. Yes, I'm looking at you Google+

I was hoping he'd compare it to Rayman Legends. Still, I had a ton of fun with Legends, especially the musical levels. I've replayed those levels so many times, I can replay em in my head. It seemed too brief compared to Origins though.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The entire time Yahtzee was describing the competitive nature of the gameplay, my mind was turning back to the Freelance Astronauts LP of Super Mario Brothers Wii.

Now I want to see a Let's Play of this game.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
You know, in previous years it has actually been pretty easy to guess some of his top and bottom five, but this year that's gonna be a bit more difficult. I'm putting $20 up now that GOTY will be Papers, Please.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I actually wanted to play this game, but now that comments thing is more than a bit of a turn off.
Yeah, um, it's optional. You can turn it off and never see the comments.

Though, that does render the stamps a bit pointless. But then you don't use the green stars for anything but unlocking extra worlds either, so whatever.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
LordTerminal said:
Unlike those reviews, I'm not going to go back to suspecting that again because this lacked the same kind of bitter flame bait something like the Mario Galaxy 2 review had 3 years ago. But I just find it that Yahtzee's trying too hard to be bitter at 3D World. Maybe he just shouldn't review Mario platformers anymore and stick to just reviewing other Nintendo stuff.
A whole minute was devoted to the funny-at-best, eye-rolling-at-worst comments system, as if it's as prominent as the core game.
The only positive things he had to say about this game were that the difficulty curve is competently arranged and that it "maybe" evokes the retro charm of Mario 3. He didn't even say something along the lines of "Yeah, it's fun. Just don't make it your only game," like in the Galaxy 2 ZP.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I like the Mario games because of nostalgia. They remind me of the "good old days". That's basically it. It's not like they're holding the indsutry back or anything. They're basically just doing what they've always done.

TheomanZero

Jan 12, 2011
There are twelve worlds, not eight.

But yeah, I wish Nintendo would realize that shoulder buttons make the most practical run buttons. There are four of them now, so you'd think they could spare one.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Enlong said:
canadamus_prime said:
I actually wanted to play this game, but now that comments thing is more than a bit of a turn off.
Yeah, um, it's optional. You can turn it off and never see the comments.

Though, that does render the stamps a bit pointless. But then you don't use the green stars for anything but unlocking extra worlds either, so whatever.
Well I can't afford a WiiU so it's a moot point anyway.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
user comments at the end of levels in video games?!?! f-ing genius!!

might be better feedback than the starring system for the AC4 levels loll

"STAHP IT WITH THe TAILING MISSIONS"

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
"8 worlds".

Aren't there 9 main worlds and 3 extra worlds? That sounds an awful lot like 12 worlds to me. Thought Yahtzee tends to play these games to the credits, which is a shame because all the best stuff is always at the end. The extra worlds in 3D Land made the game go from "passable" to "great," the extra levels in Galaxy 2 found the difficulty again, and the extra worlds in 3D World, by my accounts, do pretty much the same thing.

Ah well. Pretty agreeable dissection otherwise.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Honestly, this review was funnier then I was expecting it to be, and Yahtzee makes a fair point about how this game seems to be designed with 2D play in mind... which is cool and all, but there wasn't anything wrong with classic 3D Mario games.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Squidgy said:
I know people shout about the call of duty series being the same churned out game year in year out. But is it not the same for the mario series as well? or that's just how it seems to me anyhow.
It is, and it's just as pathetic. Many Mario games have come out and for some reason they've dropped Starfox, F-Zero and who knows what else. They are really playing it safe and I really wish they would do something a bit more 'out there', though I am impressed with some of their new character choices for SSB4.

Ugh, the cat suit actually puts me off, and the level designs really bore me. I don't see the magic Jim says there is.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Squidgy said:
I know people shout about the call of duty series being the same churned out game year in year out. But is it not the same for the mario series as well? or that's just how it seems to me anyhow.
I think nostalgia is the key. Mario has been around since the late 80s and has approval from people's dads. CoD hasn't got such an old fanbase. I've even heard bashing against ACIV for being the same thing.

Imagine an alternate reality where CoD was made in the 80s, we'd be bashing Mario and platformers. If people want to play something for nostalgia, why can't they just pick up their old game and play it?

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Nazulu said:
Many Mario games have come out and for some reason they've dropped Starfox, F-Zero and who knows what else.
The reason is simple...Sales figures.Despite being excellent series neither have sold particularly well in recent years.The most recent Starfox games Assault on GC and Command on DS managed sales of just over 1 million and around 500,000 respectively while the most recent F-Zero game managed around 600,000 sales worldwide.Sales figures for each installment of those 2 series have plummeted compared to their predecessors so maybe Nintendo have looked at the dwindling interest and decided it's just not worth it

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
MetalDooley said:
Nazulu said:
Many Mario games have come out and for some reason they've dropped Starfox, F-Zero and who knows what else.
The reason is simple...Sales figures.Despite being excellent series neither have sold particularly well in recent years.The most recent Starfox games Assault on GC and Command on DS managed sales of just over 1 million and around 500,000 respectively while the most recent F-Zero game managed around 600,000 sales worldwide.Sales figures for each installment of those 2 series have plummeted compared to their predecessors so maybe Nintendo have looked at the dwindling interest and decided it's just not worth it
Maybe. However, they still made them all awhile a go and I don't see why they can't attempt them now. Most of my friends would love another Lylat Wars. And I know a lot of people didn't like the direction of Starfox Adventure and Assault so I wish they would go back to the roots on that franchise.

The last F-Zero game was a very hard game and there was something about it I didn't like, but I don't think they should just drop it. Maybe try a different direction. I can't see why not since they have done with their most popular titles.

They're going to have to do something different eventually. If they really are afraid to go back to them then maybe they should consider listening to the fans on what to do then. Really, they keep showing the characters in Smash Brothers so they shouldn't be ignored.