Zero Punctuation: Super Mario 3D World

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Lightknight said:
Thanatos2k said:
Bushido Blade feels like someone looked at other fighting games at the time and yelled out "These games don't make sense? It's not realistic at all!" and so set out to make a realistic fighting game.

And this showed us why realistic fighting games are a terrible idea. While someone rushing in and stabbing you in the chest would indeed kill you in one hit in real life with no chance of retaliation, it doesn't make a very fun game.

Also it showed us that guns destroy people with swords.
I found it incredibly fun and it sold well enough (BB2 did, anyways). The only reason the series died was due to a contract disagreement between Square and Light Weight. I actually don't know who owns the rights anymore
There's something about the realism that simply beat the hell out of every other game at the time. Made actions seem more important. This is probably the biggest standout fighter franchise of my childhood. Virtua Fighter, Super Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Dead or Alive, Tekken, and such, these all blended together with little really different besides the characters themselves (or, in DoA's case, the jiggly physics of the characters).

Bushido Blade stuck out and made me remember it. I have never had fun like it before or since. Did you play it?
Did you play any of these recently? Cause i think you underestimate just how different the combat systems are from each other. It's like night and day, th same way Bushido Blade stands out. Not much of a BB fan though, i have played a lot of Two Player in it during the years (as recently as last month), i think it's fun enough, but it's also fairly broken imo. Sequel might be better though, haven't tried it yet.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Nazulu said:
However, they still made them all awhile a go and I don't see why they can't attempt them now.
Because like it or not Nintendo is a company and companies have to justify expenditure to their investors and shareholders.Look at the sales figures for those 2 series

Starfox 64 - 4.03 million
Adventures - 1.87 million
Assault - 1.08 million
Command - 0.51 million

F-Zero - 2.85
F-Zero X - 1.10
F-Zero GX - 0.65

As I mentioned earlier sales for each one of those series have plummeted with each installment selling around half of it's predecessors numbers.No company on earth is going to greenlight a new installment with that record.It's harsh yes but unfortunately that's the reality of business.

Don't get me wrong I'd love new installments in both those franchises but there's no incentive for Nintendo to make them at the moment

Clunks

Apr 21, 2010
Weirdly enough the thing that made me laugh most in this review was the very fact that someone wrote "I LOVE SAND" in the comments for all the world to see. It's like one of those weird exclamatory sentences characters used to say in Father Ted. "I LOVE MY BRICK," that sort of thing.

Anyway, fun review and all that. I can't honestly understand the mindset of anyone who cares about this game, unless they're comparitively new to Nintendo and it's their first or second Mario game. Ever since Mario Galaxy 2 there's been a distinct lack of anything new in the series, and while that's understandable - where hasn't Mario already been? What has he not done? - I don't get why people still give Mario games the benefit of the doubt.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
MetalDooley said:
Nazulu said:
However, they still made them all awhile a go and I don't see why they can't attempt them now.
Because like it or not Nintendo is a company and companies have to justify expenditure to their investors and shareholders.Look at the sales figures for those 2 series

Starfox 64 - 4.03 million
Adventures - 1.87 million
Assault - 1.08 million
Command - 0.51 million

F-Zero - 2.85
F-Zero X - 1.10
F-Zero GX - 0.65

As I mentioned earlier sales for each one of those series have plummeted with each installment selling around half of it's predecessors numbers.No company on earth is going to greenlight a new installment with that record.It's harsh yes but unfortunately that's the reality of business.

Don't get me wrong I'd love new installments in both those franchises but there's no incentive for Nintendo to make them at the moment
They are not the same business they used to be. All the teams have changed, and there decisions hasn't really been an aim to improve.

The sequels just got worse and worse. They need to go back to what those franchises were and stop combining so many different elements to it.

Think about it. Why is it that those first games sold well enough? They need to figure that out, because like it or not, I'm going to criticize them for it if they can't find a way to revive it. People still want to play all the different genre's, they need to find someone that knows how to make those great quality titles again.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Lightknight said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Is it weird that the thing I liked most was the Bushido Blade reference? Well, that and Desk Mario.
Haha, is it weird that I came here just to post that I was happy to hear him mention Bushido Blade?
Not at all! (At least that's what I tell myself to sleep at night.) Cool game, and the multiplayer was vicious. I'm sorry I never got to play the sequel.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Nazulu said:
The sequels just got worse and worse.
F-Zero GX is the best one in the series imo and was critically acclaimed by reviewers and fans when it released.Didn't stop it from being the worst selling one in the series by far

They need to go back to what those franchises were and stop combining so many different elements to it.
Funny how one of the biggest criticisms Nintendo get is how they never try new things yet at the same time people just want them to keep making the same stuff over and over

Other than improved graphics F-Zero has barely changed since the first one...Sales plummeted

Assault was much closer in gameplay style to Starfox 64 than Adventures...It sold about a quarter of 64's numbers and about half of adventures

People still want to play all the different genre's
And yet the numbers would suggest that people actually aren't interested in those genres.Or at least not enough people to justify new games

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
mronoc said:
Find me one case in which random user comments enrich an online experience
The "Souls" series, with the caveat that "random" in this case means being randomly selected from a very limited menu of terms and phrases.
I've not found them to be enriching, but rather ranging from distracting, annoying or useless altogether. Not once has it enriched or enhanced my gameplay in either Demon's or Dark Souls. Its a waste of code for people to be pseudo-clever, trollish or downright ignorant of how not-clever they are.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TheomanZero said:
There are twelve worlds, not eight.
...dammit my LP's gonna be a long one then. >.<
Well, I'm on the 10th world in my practice file and some the of the levels in World 10 are just repeats of old levels just with less time and the Green Stars changing places. At least that's what I've seen when I've been playing.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
You were expecting innovation from Nintendo, Yahtzee? Give them some credit, it took them this long to make Peach a playable character again. Baby steps, Crowshaw. ;P Also, I wouldn't be gripping about the cat suits either. This is the Internet, where everyone and everything is bound to have a fetish or two dozen tied to it in some way.

So, two weeks until we get the Best and Worst of 2013. It's safe to say Aliens: Colonial Marines and Ride to Hell: Retribution will be on the bottom 5. But I'm kinda blanking on what will make the top 5. Only ones I can think of is Papers Please and possibly Windwaker HD (kinda doubtful on the last one since its an HD re-release). But, its been a whole year and its kind of hard to remember the possible good ones among the ocean of bad titles.

Guess I could make a ZP 2013 marathon just to refresh my memory.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
Did you play any of these recently? Cause i think you underestimate just how different the combat systems are from each other. It's like night and day, th same way Bushido Blade stands out. Not much of a BB fan though, i have played a lot of Two Player in it during the years (as recently as last month), i think it's fun enough, but it's also fairly broken imo. Sequel might be better though, haven't tried it yet.
Yeah, I've played them recently and have played them growing up. They have different graphics, some minor differences in controls and some various techniques that usually center around the characters. But in most cases, you could make one large fighting game with all of the characters from all the others and make it work.

But not this game. Bushido Blade is a unique experience. It requires more forethought and feigning than combos. It is truly unique whereas the other games are moreso different takes on the same thing.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Good luck finding 5 games from the past year which you don't completely despise.
The real question is, was it worth playing through all the crap just to play those 5?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
I may be a little late for this question, but where did the name 'Yahtzee' come from? Has it anything to do with that incredibly dull dice and something or another game that grandparents keep away for cold winter nights when the electricity dies?
Not sure why he did decide to roll with that, but it was first introduced in his ancient webcomic Yahtzee Takes On The World. A short origin story for the name was that he was suffering from amnesia and decided to just pick a name for himself by listening to someone's conversation. So in a conversation (where the name Ben was mentioned quite a few times) it ended by someone talking about Yahtzee and when he herd Yahtzee he picked that. So it is a reference to the dice game. Sorry that I am a little fuzzy on the details, it's been about 7 years since I read the series.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
That one line about airbrushing out the faces of the characters and adding expanded assholes got me more than I expected. I thought he was going to leave them blank and add, "JOIN US. THE PAIN TASTES SO GOOD."

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
MetalDooley said:
Nazulu said:
The sequels just got worse and worse.
F-Zero GX is the best one in the series imo and was critically acclaimed by reviewers and fans when it released.Didn't stop it from being the worst selling one in the series by far

They need to go back to what those franchises were and stop combining so many different elements to it.
Funny how one of the biggest criticisms Nintendo get is how they never try new things yet at the same time people just want them to keep making the same stuff over and over

Other than improved graphics F-Zero has barely changed since the first one...Sales plummeted

Assault was much closer in gameplay style to Starfox 64 than Adventures...It sold about a quarter of 64's numbers and about half of adventures

People still want to play all the different genre's
And yet the numbers would suggest that people actually aren't interested in those genres.Or at least not enough people to justify new games
Your simplifying this way too much. The Gamecube didn't sell well in general and who knows why that is. At the time it seemed because it was competing against the legendary PS2 and it's massive library. I reckon it would of sold a shit ton more if they managed to appeal to as many people with a big 3rd party support. However, the perception has changed now and it would be interesting to see how an F-Zero would do now.

Funny how you miss the point about how they should revive the arcade genre. When was the last game made that was similar to Lylat Wars? Go on, you're so smart. I really hate when people feel they need to make passive aggressive posts.

Assault came right after Adventure which disappointed A LOT of fans, due to how it told it's story and that it's focus on game play shifted. It turned people away so there's your answer probably. And I know from back then that people weren't really open to Assault since they revisited the ground.

The numbers don't explain shit by themselves, you are over generalising, and many people would like to see those games on the Wii U. How would you know if you don't try? What happened to all the money made from the Wii? Are you really saying they should just play it safe for the rest of eternity? Would you really be satisfied with that? It really seems like you want to play the same thing over and over again. Nintendo has to work something out otherwise I won't bother with them ever again.

Nov 24, 2013
So they bring back the movement and control mechanics from SMB2 pretty faithfully, even keeping Peach's float and Luigi's flutter-jumps etc... but we're still on frelling bricks and goombas and fire flowers and Bowser.

Why can't Nintendo be arsed to bring back Wart and veggies and shyguys for one more hurrah in Subcon? That'd be a game to make us all sit up and take notice.

nightazday

Apr 5, 2009
I remember when you said "after galaxy I doubt you can get any higher." or something similar

turns out they can't

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Nazulu said:
Your simplifying this way too much. The Gamecube didn't sell well in general and who knows why that is.
True the GC didn't sell particularly well but it did sell around 22 million units.I'd imagine however that most of the people who bought a GC were big Nintendo fans so the poor sales of first party franchises like Starfox and F-Zero stand out even more

However, the perception has changed now and it would be interesting to see how an F-Zero would do now.
Given that the futuristic racer genre has pretty much disappeared then I'm guessing not well.If there was a market for these games don't you think someone would be making them

I really hate when people feel they need to make passive aggressive posts.
All I did was post some numbers and postulate that maybe the reason they're not making those games is because people weren't buying them.if anything you're the one being passive agressive posting things like "Go on,you're so smart"

The numbers don't explain shit by themselves,
From a purely business perspective which is what I was aiming at to begin with the numbers explain plenty.Nintendo will have seen the plummeting sales numbers and likely decided that there's not enough public interest to justify new games.Put it this way if you owned your own business and sales for a particular product you manufactured halved with each new version you released would you keep making it?

and many people would like to see those games on the Wii U.
And you can prove this yes?At least I have solid figures to back up my claims

Are you really saying they should just play it safe for the rest of eternity?
Never said that.I made the case that from a business perspective continuing to produce a failing product makes no sense.I never said they shouldn't try new stuff

Would you really be satisfied with that?
No in fact I hope they continue to do more stuff like publishing Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 and working on original IPs aswell as their established franchises

It really seems like you want to play the same thing over and over again.
And yet I'm not the one who's looking for another Lylat Wars:p

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
MetalDooley said:
Nazulu said:
Your simplifying this way too much. The Gamecube didn't sell well in general and who knows why that is.
True the GC didn't sell particularly well but it did sell around 22 million units.I'd imagine however that most of the people who bought a GC were big Nintendo fans so the poor sales of first party franchises like Starfox and F-Zero stand out even more

However, the perception has changed now and it would be interesting to see how an F-Zero would do now.
Given that the futuristic racer genre has pretty much disappeared then I'm guessing not well.If there was a market for these games don't you think someone would be making them

I really hate when people feel they need to make passive aggressive posts.
All I did was post some numbers and postulate that maybe the reason they're not making those games is because people weren't buying them.if anything you're the one being passive agressive posting things like "Go on,you're so smart"

The numbers don't explain shit by themselves,
From a purely business perspective which is what I was aiming at to begin with the numbers explain plenty.Nintendo will have seen the plummeting sales numbers and likely decided that there's not enough public interest to justify new games.Put it this way if you owned your own business and sales for a particular product you manufactured halved with each new version you released would you keep making it?

and many people would like to see those games on the Wii U.
And you can prove this yes?At least I have solid figures to back up my claims

Are you really saying they should just play it safe for the rest of eternity?
Never said that.I made the case that from a business perspective continuing to produce a failing product makes no sense.I never said they shouldn't try new stuff

Would you really be satisfied with that?
No in fact I hope they continue to do more stuff like publishing Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 and working on original IPs aswell as their established franchises

It really seems like you want to play the same thing over and over again.
And yet I'm not the one who's looking for another Lylat Wars:p
I'd say those games just didn't stick out enough as I only found out about them later. SSB Melee didn't even get an ad in Australia, I only knew of it from magazines. Saying there isn't a market for them is a load, genre's don't just suddenly get ignored, but they can get sequels that aren't as good or poorly marketed. There could be a market for them again if so many developers/publishers weren't chicken shit and not try to copy the last successful franchises.

You make it out so black n' white and I don't buy it for one second. From many Youtube vids I've watched on those classic games I've seen many people wish for it on the Wii and Wii U, and also those who would like to see something different from Nintendo, it seems like a lot. I will make a thread probably to see how many of these games people would like to see.

You were passive aggressive telling me "Funny how one of the biggest criticisms Nintendo get is how they never try new things yet at the same time people just want them to keep making the same stuff over and over". What do you mean by this exactly then? I know it came directly from when I told you they should make another game like Lylat Wars. And now your trying to make me out to be a hypocrite again with "And yet I'm not the one who's looking for another Lylat Wars:p", because there are so many games like Lylat Wars right? You can't even find a game that's similar to it now so your point is weak and so you're not convincing anyone. In fact, all your points are weak and this 'judging by numbers from awhile ago' (which only explains what sold, not why) is exactly one reason the industry has become so bland and repetitive.