Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
The Gil-Monster said:
FuckYouDad said:
I can honestly say I had no idea people took a game about Nintendo characters kicking the shit out of each other this seriously.
Agreed.

Yahtzee once offended me in one of his reviews. Me. Not a game. He once called people like me "console 'tards."

Then I made lunch.

(....)

...All right, all right; you got me. I muttered "Jerk!" under my breath first, and THEN I made lunch.
Seriously, I sometime wonder if he likes anything. He calls people console tards, but then later on turns around and call people who play PC games to be nerds who get boners by pimping out the required hardware for being able to play PC games.

MaraN88

Jan 14, 2008
Yahtzee is good at spotting flaws in games and "all"(can't rly be sure can i?) his points are valid.. I do think he is more of an entertainer though.. Well anyway haven't played smash bros. but i'm sure i'll love it since I secretly talk shit about yahtzee in nintendo forums......... you.. Psychonaut fanboy lover!
(Oh yeah sting doesen't it?)

Snake Bandage

Apr 24, 2008
I really like Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Of course, now I'm pissed at the game because unlocking the last three characters shouldn't be such a pain, but generally I think it's a great game.

However, I thought Yahtzee's review was awesome, he never fails to make me laugh. I think it's a shame he doesn't like it, but...

1) Not everyone has the same taste, and that's okay!
2) He had some really good points. Though he missed the "wonder" of Final Smashes. I turn the stupid Smash Balls off in multiplayer mode, they make the gaming experience about as fun as sticking Ness' baseball bat up your arse.
3) He's just so classy about it (as classy as one can be when one curses like a sailor).

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
MaraN88 said:
Yahtzee is good at spotting flaws in games and "all"(can't rly be sure can i?) his points are valid.. I do think he is more of an entertainer though.. Well anyway haven't played smash bros. but i'm sure i'll love it since I secretly talk shit about yahtzee in nintendo forums......... you.. Psychonaut fanboy lover!
(Oh yeah sting doesen't it?)
No, the crappy Online play on Brawl, that's a flaw. Having to unlock characters and stages are not flaws, it's part of the game as well as countless others, it's called replay value. I have $10 saying that is there was nothing to unlock, that Yahtzee would have "Well what's the point of playing this fucking game once you're good at it".

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
the_importer said:
The Gil-Monster said:
FuckYouDad said:
I can honestly say I had no idea people took a game about Nintendo characters kicking the shit out of each other this seriously.
Agreed.

Yahtzee once offended me in one of his reviews. Me. Not a game. He once called people like me "console 'tards."

Then I made lunch.

(....)

...All right, all right; you got me. I muttered "Jerk!" under my breath first, and THEN I made lunch.
Seriously, I sometime wonder if he likes anything. He calls people console tards, but then later on turns around and call people who play PC games to be nerds who get boners by pimping out the required hardware for being able to play PC games.
He's a socially maladjusted misanthrope. He reviews games, what did you think he would be like?
Sane?

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Im not going through all 700 comments but the last few pages I don't see something important. Yahtzee never noticed he could unlock character in multilayer bypassing the solo content. THAT RIGHT! SSB is a game made for "that-guys" with no friends or people who like beating the crap outa each other. And the fact that you first realize this after ONLY 5 MATCHES. Tells me he never actually played the game. Which is a shame because it can be played when your drunk which he is all the time. For example its awesome to be playing Snake and rig the arena with c4 and use your remote detonator only to realize you are also in the blast zone but hey Snake suicide bombing is awesome.

FINAL NOTE Please stop reviewing games based on peer pressure cause you make yourself look like a wanker by virtue of not actually playing them *cough*nazis really did have doom fortresses*cough*

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
the_importer said:
You weren't paying any attention during the whole "my fear and disgust of other human beings" segment, were you?

This episode reminded me how many "fanfiction circle jerk" games there are around these days: SSBB, Kindom Hearts, Super Robot Wars (alas, I belong to the fanbase of this franchise), **** Vs Capcom games, that-one-PSP-Final-Fantasy-fighting game, etc.

This episode was pretty amusing and the reaction even more so. Can this topic be proclaimed the Great Fanboy Flame War II of The Escapist forums?

donmilliken

Apr 24, 2008
the_importer said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
the_importer said:
The Gil-Monster said:
FuckYouDad said:
Agreed.

Then I made lunch.

(....)

He's a socially maladjusted misanthrope. He reviews games, what did you think he would be like?
Sane?
Oh, Yahtzee's perfectly sane, what's insane is taking his reviews seriously. The guy's basically a stand-up comedian who plays games and kind of tells you what he thought of them, with jokes.

While I would argue that he's no less qualified and a good deal more talented than the average game reviewer, I can't believe some people apparently come away from the Zero Punctuation videos with the impression that a serious opinion has been expressed that must be refuted.

If you're looking for an actual review of SSBB or any other game there's no shortage of them, though most of them won't be nearly so entertaining.

I wonder if people take the Angry Video Game Nerd this seriously?

Daxelman

Oct 14, 2007
Is it Ok to say I don't know who Marth is either?

Or that I didn't know Mother 3 existed till a few months ago?

donmilliken

Apr 24, 2008
Daxelman said:

No, of course not! You should be ashamed, how dare you?

Seriously, though? Yes. Who cares?

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Crushed said:
Uszi said:
I find it VERY interesting that Yahtzee called from the get-go that there would be accusations that it would be said of him, "He is not a real reviewer."
(looks through thread)

Nobody has accused him of not being a real reviewer.
I'm pretty sure if you thumb back through page 10ish, you'll see two or three people saying, "Yeah well, he isn't a REAL reviewer anyway," and in response several other people try to define what a reviewer is/does. I wasn't really saying it myself.

Then again, I think it would be inhumane of me to ask anyone to search through the 19 FUCKING PAGES of this thread to try and find two or three individual posts, so in the interests of your own health/sanity I'll just say that maybe no one has accused him of this and you win.

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NOTE:
"IMO made of awesome epic win, Good Sir" is competing strongly with my current avatar.
Regardless of what any of you say, I laughed harder than I have in a long while, and I think that some of Yahtzee's brilliance did shine through his combined hatred of Nintendo/Fighting Games/The Japanese.

Daxelman

Oct 14, 2007
donmilliken said:
Daxelman said:

No, of course not! You should be ashamed, how dare you?

Seriously, though? Yes. Who cares?
Ok, good. I thought it was like, something serious or something.

But Mother 3 was a little shock to me a few months ago, I was WTF'n all over the place.

Chappy0

Feb 22, 2008
All of what you said was right Yahtzee, but you missed out on possibley your biggest piece of ammo, the fact that the final smashes basically turn the game into DBZ, from Lucaruio's blue beam of death (Kamehameha!, no seriously thats basically what he does) to sonic turning gold and flying around the screen for 45 seconds (Yes, I know that's super sonic but still). Also you missed out on the chance to say "and all it really comes down to is who can hit the most balls"
As you can tell I have the game and enjoy playing it with my friend, even if all of your points were valid its still at least a decent party game.
Can't wait for next weeks review, your the greatest Yahtzee

Forsooth and Pi

Apr 23, 2008
donmilliken said:
I wonder if people take the Angry Video Game Nerd this seriously?
Personally I don't think you can equate the two; AVGN is more of a rant, with emphasis on humor over review, whereas ZP is a review filled with humorous side comments and commentary. They're similar, but the purpose of each feels distinctly different. Of course, this is purely my take on it, and if people think both are just made to entertain, then fine by me.

But I'm sure some people like myself actually trust Yahtzee's opinions as a reviewer. That's not to say that I'm going to buy/reject a game based on what he says, but that I trust him to be brutally honest and not give the "traditional" reviews that you find elsewhere online.

It's like being fed up with both Conservative and Liberal media, and wanting something somewhat neutral. I think the latest escapade was more of a tilt in one of these directions, flaming the game on an initial perception instead of giving it a chance (like he does for many games, such as Phantom Hourglass, which was a great review, and even though he didn't complete the game he said he attempted to do so).

gigirizzi

Apr 23, 2008
Crushed said:
bob_bob0 said:
sonic and snake should have been made easier to get
Sonic? Yeah, that's stupid. You COULD technically just beat Classic Mode 10 times really fast on Very Easy mode though.

Snake? He's technically very easy to unlock.

Play 5 brawls on Shadow Moses: Unlock Ness (5 brawls to unlock, or 10 deflected projectiles in one match)
Play 5 more Brawls on Shadow Moses: Unlock Marth (10 brawls, or beating Classic once)
Play 5 more brawls on Shadow Moses: Unlock Snake (needs 15 brawls on Shadow Moses).

Considering that you can make matches last for literally 1 second by playing a Stamina Flower Brawl with Stamina set to 1, that means you can unlock 3 characters in under five minutes.

Then just play Classic without having to use a continue (piece of cake) to unlock Luigi, and if you do it on Normal Mode or higher within 12 minutes, you also get Captain Falcon. If you haven't already unlocked Marth, then you'll get him for clearing Classic.

In around half an hour, you've unlocked 5 hidden characters. To break up the monotony a bit, take 10 minutes AT THE VERY MOST to clear 100-Man Brawl (which you can do with a friend!), and you'll have Falco.

Then, play Classic on Very Easy-Normal with 7 more characters (to familiarize yourself with the controls). Then play it on Hard with Link or Zelda, and you unlock Ganondorf. Guess what, you've played Classic Mode with 10 characters, you've unlocked Sonic.

Congratulations, you have more than half of the hidden characters unlocked in less than three hours of gameplay.
And you've had the most boring three grinding hours of your life. I hate grinding in World of Warcraft and I should grind in a damn party game?