Zero Punctuation: Torchlight

achmedthesnake

Jan 13, 2010
Just purchased it off steam 2 days ago - loved it for what it was - a modern diablo clone, which will sooth my withdrawl symptoms while waitng for diablo3 to come out in 2020.....

have a few points though about the review though,

- Yahtzee failed to mention the modding aspect of this game;
TorchEditor comes free with the game (through steam or other) which gives the user to edit aspects of the current game as well as create custom content/npcs/pickups/maps/skills/sets/new character types.....

For example, the 'identify every dropped item' problem easily solved by enabling an 'always identified' mod....problem solved - and this kind of modding is encouraged by the torchlight devs/community....
I'm a bit of a 3d guru, so i might make a custom Yahtzee character type (with bewbs and a poncy hat) with a dolphin companion + 1 rainbow aura :p

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
KDR_11k said:
By the way, you can hold the mouse button down to continue attacking an enemy (same as in Diablo 2), no need to play Track & Field with your mouse buttons.
Yes but is this mentioned anywhere in the game?

SlothMaster

May 21, 2008
I've played it. In general, Yahtzee is right about his woes, especially the 2 parts accounting part ...that's what really put me off.
Great episode by the way.

SlothMaster

May 21, 2008
Furioso said:
KDR_11k said:
By the way, you can hold the mouse button down to continue attacking an enemy (same as in Diablo 2), no need to play Track & Field with your mouse buttons.
Yes but is this mentioned anywhere in the game?
Yes. In the intro tips.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
When the heck is he going to review Borderlands? I mean, Torchlight looked nice, but it wasn't exactly hiding anything in its duplication of Diablo or WoW.

Borderlands at least half-looks like it's trying something new, which is the only way Yahtzee's willing to praise anything these days, apparently.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
WestMountain said:
Why didnt those first guys get banned for commenting that early?
Patience Grasshopper.
are we all grasshoppers too? or just him?

and this was a good review that makes me actually want to pick up a copy of this and give it a go

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007
I actually love this game, but every point you make is 100% true, lol. I haven't even died ONCE. And yeah the most unnecessary thing is the dang identify scrolls...but there's something calming about this game, combat looks pretty and takes very little effort, and the simple accounting keeps you from falling asleep, haha.

tyrkae

Aug 28, 2009
its worth the 10$ best diablo type game since diablo 2 and best going to be before diablo 3 is out

Ophenix

Sep 2, 2009
This review is really halfassed. You should try and check the backround of the games you review, even if they are from a steam sale.

- Torchlight has a modding tool and was constructed to enable people to add and remove mods easly. There are endless mods with extra levels, characters and monsters online. It's a part of the game that people are encouraged to explore. There is a free mod editing software that you can download and alter pretty much any aspect of the game.
- The controls are fine if you know how to use them... Just tab two main skills, the rest are for rare occasions so using the number pad is ok. There are a few mods you can download to customize any button usage...
- This is a game that borrows from Diablo because it was done by the D/D2 team. They were trying to make a name for themselves outside of the monster Blizzard has become and reviews on other sites prove they managed pretty well. Saying it takes everying thing from Diablo is like saying Wolfenstein is a copy of Doom...

The review was funny and all, but come one, at least wiki the games you are trying to review...

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
I found Torchlight very fun and entertaining.
And god damn it! It was just 3 euro that's like the best deal I could ever do! Well... unless I bought a pack of condoms that one time... *sigh*...

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
geldonyetich said:
It goes to show that perhaps the reason why Blizzard is so hesitant to release Diablo III is because we've moved past the entire genre.
Mayhaps YOU have, but many of us have not . . . and given Diablo2 is STILL on the shelves should have told the industry something. Namely, we want more games like Diablo2! I bought Borderlands at full price, and Torchlight for $5 USD, and the amount of money compared to how much I'm enjoying the game is an inverse ratio between the two. Random loot system, randomized wandering bosses, mobs, bloodletting galore . . what's not to like?

Yahtzee is obviously not a Diablo2 fan . . . which is probably the demarcation line between whether or not most people will like Torchlight. Diablo2 love = Torchlight love. Even if one didn't, or never played it, Torchlight is still cheep cheep (get it from Steam or Runic, not retail).

Ell Jay

Jun 3, 2009
Hrm... first time I've seriously disagreed with Mr. Croshaw's opinion and for me, it's putting a significant dent in his cachet as someone who knows the the hell they're talking about. Consider my approval rating decreased.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, comparing anything to an ice cream sandwich is pretty mean. It's both an ice cream and a sandwich, man. How do you top that?

ArmoredCavalry

Nov 30, 2009
Torchlight is pretty fun if you like the genre.

I only noticed the npc pathfiding messing up once, at which point I just instantly re-summoned the stuck npc.

Also at the beginning, was he saying the game was Steampunk or Steam service? Because it is not Steam exclusive.