Zero Punctuation: Torchlight

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
WestMountain said:
Why didnt those first guys get banned for commenting that early?
Patience Grasshopper.

Hee Hee. I know this is completley unrelated, but did anyone ever tell you how funny your avatar is? I dunno, it's the nose poking out, but it makes me giggle. Sorry for the interruption

OT: I loved the Dolphin analogy, though the deaths of many a Guinea Pig distressed me...I wuv my Piggies!

Also, this (plus the evils of Subscription Fees) sums up everything and EVERYTHING I hate about RPGs

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
RagingScottsman said:
Brilliant review. I hate game-play where I'm prone to develop carpel tunnel by the second dungeon.
lol, Same.

Great Review Yahtzee, gave me a chuckle in my otherwise dull day =D

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
This is the first time a ZP has ever made me more inclined to check a game out and, fiddly controls aside, it looks like the sort of thing I might enjoy. Shame I had no money during the Steam sale though, it's £14.99 now and I'm not sure I can justify it when I've got to eat and such.

Still, I'll throw it on the list for later.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Good review? Naaaaejanah.. Yahtzee seems to have an undying hatred for games that I like.. and many other games. But he seems to hate the games I like more.. or I just notice it more when he (atleast seems like he) hates games I like.. oh well.. might just be my brain going fiddly again.

Funny review? As usual. (More or less, yes.)

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
This game is a complete rip-off of Diablo, just streamlining a few things and merging them together.
But oh does it work. I'm saddened that there's a a story line as simple as Go here and kill they ass, but the gameplay is solid and the click-click-click fell away to the sweet sounds of monsters being wiped out by my easy setting. Yes I play it on easy and i love the fuck out of it.
I'd like a story based expansion but i somehow doubt it.

Nice review man, very biting.

Jens Viking

Nov 19, 2009
Aw the titlesong is back... no fun, but yeah I bought it because it was cheap and ppl say it is good, but meh. I wish I had spend my money on an ice cream instead,

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
It's official, Yahtzee does not like Torchlight, he has no soul.

While most of what he says is just his opinion and therefore neither here nor there (although the fact he didn't find the interface very intuitive amazes me), he actually got one important part of the review drastically, unforgivably wrong - you don't have to click for each attack, you can hold down the mouse button and your character will keep attacking the same enemy until it dies. Even if you're no longer hovering your mouse pointer over it. This is actually one of the most meaningful improvements the game has over Diablo - it's far less of a click-fest in so many ways - a lot of the shopping is also streamlined and uses shift-clicks and ctrl-clicks to automate a lot of the really boring stuff like dragging things over from one inventory to another etc. He's sure getting sloppy, gone are the days of stuff like the Bioshock review where he actually honed in very precisely on what was really wrong with the game. I guess a couple years' worth of deadlines must finally be getting to him. I think he needs a couple of months off.

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
I'm just wondering why that wasn't a review for Bayonetta. ;)

geldonyetich said:
Oh look, I'm trying to be like Yahtzee with tl;dr blathering that could've been summed up in 3 sentences.
Fixed.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
*sigh* I find it hard to laugh about something that I don't care for. Oh well, I'll just wait till next week.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Billkwando said:
I'm just wondering why that wasn't a review for
geldonyetich said:
Oh look, I'm trying to be like Yahtzee with tl;dr blathering that could've been summed up in 3 sentences.
Fixed.
Oh look, I'm trying to be clever by ignoring any relevance of what the previous poster was saying.
Fixed and added to ignore.

Jul 23, 2008
Good vid. I'm annoyed i didn't get this during the steam sale. i was overdrawn at the worst possible time; all the banks were closed and steam were practically giving games away.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
Jaranja said:
Hiphophippo said:
A pleasant surprise this video was.

Thumbs up.
What's really surprising is this is exactly the way I felt while playing the demo.
I get it ya know. He makes very valid points about the game (the genre really) but as someone who fondly remembers playing diablo 1 and 2 when they came out none of these problems concern me.
Well, one thing really ruined it for me. I was so bored, I didn't finish the demo.

Harry3

Nov 16, 2009
try holding down left click Yahtzee, its called auto attack. You DO NOT have to click every time you want to attack. This even works with alt attack....
Oh and try it on Very Hard with Hardcore enabled if you wanted the challenge.

Aside from that the puns and jokes were funny, but again you reviewed the game like it was bad which is the complete opposite of all the other reviews. Do you actually like the Diablo series?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Jaranja said:
Hiphophippo said:
Jaranja said:
Hiphophippo said:

Thumbs up.
What's really surprising is this is exactly the way I felt while playing the demo.
I get it ya know. He makes very valid points about the game (the genre really) but as someone who fondly remembers playing diablo 1 and 2 when they came out none of these problems concern me.
Well, one thing really ruined it for me. I was so bored, I didn't finish the demo.
It's cool, it's not for everyone. I appreciate the near zen-like mode the game puts you in. Loot, kill, loot, kill, loot, kill, OOH UPGRADE, kill etc.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
BonsaiK said:
It's official, Yahtzee does not like Torchlight, he has no soul.

While most of what he says is just his opinion and therefore neither here nor there (although the fact he didn't find the interface very intuitive amazes me), he actually got one important part of the review drastically, unforgivably wrong - you don't have to click for each attack, you can hold down the mouse button and your character will keep attacking the same enemy until it dies. Even if you're no longer hovering your mouse pointer over it. This is actually one of the most meaningful improvements the game has over Diablo - it's far less of a click-fest in so many ways. He's sure getting sloppy, gone are the days of stuff like the Bioshock review where he actually honed in very precisely on what was really wrong with the game. I guess a couple years' worth of deadlines must finally be getting to him. I think he needs a couple of months off.
Agreed. I have to say I was left unimpressed by that review, and not just because I'm a Torchlight fan.

Compared to current RPGs (that is Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights I suppose, Borderlands, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Drakensang, Oblivion and the swathe of MMORPGs), Torchlight is a standout title. It's got a low selling price, it's got functional graphics that aren't ridiculous, it's easy enough to understand (although I'd say the itemisation is a bit messy), and it's fun.

I have paid more for games I've played for less than Torchlight. There are no Dungeon Running games that I can think of that are as recent or as successful as Torchlight, at least not since the days of Diablo 2. It's a back-to-basics game (as Yahtzee pointed out) that manages to not suck. It's proof that indie games can do extremely well and that you don't need to stay modern to do well.

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
I think what he said at the end is right. I also bought it for super cheap on the Steam sale, and for that price it's great. It's a fun, cartoony romp through a dungeon that gets boring after a few hours, but for a little bit it's pretty fun.

It was well worth the price.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
Jaranja said:
Hiphophippo said:
Jaranja said:
Hiphophippo said:

Thumbs up.
It's cool, it's not for everyone. I appreciate the near zen-like mode the game puts you in. Loot, kill, loot, kill, loot, kill, OOH UPGRADE, kill etc.
That's why I was bored. Anyway, off to write for short stories for me to "hmmmm" at. Then, throw them away.