Zero Punctuation: Turok

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
Thanks! Like others mentioned before this review was kinda different, somehow more agressive and "deeper" than the last ones. Great work!!!

@tzachitx: Excuse me, but could you tell me what this "new" Turok has in common with the N64/GC ones beside the name?

kementari

Mar 18, 2008
If you're actually reading this, Mr Croshaw, I'd just like you to know you've become my most intense love-hate object of the last decade.

Being a fan of Zero Punctuation can be best defined, I think, as 10,076 minutes and 40 seconds per week of utter torture followed by 3 minutes and 20 seconds of unparalleled bliss. But just like sex, the fleeting moments of ecstasy are worth waiting at least a week for.

Feb 13, 2008
I just want to see when Yahtzee finally gets around to reviewing Fantasy World Dizzy (as it's obviously his favourite game ever); in fact, let's ditch these boring consoles and go back to the true 8 bit machines.

myopiczeal

Jan 24, 2008
Though a little late, a fuck-mothering transcript:
Australia, as most intelligent people know, is populated by the descendants of convicts sentenced to exile for cutting purses and throats on the streets of Londontown. As for the people whose purses and throats were cut, their descendants all now work in the games industry, and conspire to continue the punishment of Australians by stapling an arbitrary number of months onto every single motherfucking release date. So while we're waiting for stuff like No More Heroes or Rock Band to finally deign to show their faces down here, let's take out our frustrations on some shitty dinosaur game.

I'm actually rather glad that a really unequivocally bad FPS has been shat out in front of me, because there are a lot of problems with first-person shooters these days, and Turok plays like an itemized list of them. So rather than do what I usually do, i.e., crucify the game with big, blunt, rusty nails shaped like penises, let's instead use Turok as an example to go through a few of the mistakes first-person shooters keep persistently making. Perhaps I could persuade developers to stop making them, then maybe I could persuade the tide to turn back, and ride a winged marshmallow to the sherbet kingdom.

1. Use console controls responsibly. When I am aiming at something, and I nudge the right analog stick slightly, this is usually because I want to be aiming at something slightly to the side of whatever I'm aiming at now. It does not mean I want my entire body to rotate 90 degrees, and I especially don't want that to happen when a velociraptor is running straight at my face brandishing a dessert fork. Of course, the absence of mouse control will always cripple console FPS's, but the good console FPS will compensate for it with, say, smoother aiming, or auto-targeting, but since, as we've already established, Turok is not a good console FPS, aiming at things is like trying to play darts after letting your arms fall asleep.

2. Bring back health meters. I don't know when the games industry in general fell out with health meters; maybe someone threw a big party for video game interfaces, and Mr. Health Meter got drunk and acted like a tit, so now everyone shuns him. Whatever, games just don't have health meters any more. When you're hurt, you just heal up by sitting in the corner, sucking your thumb for a few seconds, which makes things a little patronizingly simple, but is very accommodating towards players who happen to be the three-year-old children of syphilitic lepers. What's so bad about health meters, anyway? OK, they're not what you'd call realistic, but I kind of thought we'd abandoned realism around the time Space Marines were stabbing dinosaurs on the planet Zog.

3. Give grenades halfway decent splash damage.

4. Stop ripping off "Aliens". "Aliens" was a good film, I'm glad we're all in agreement there, but it seems you can't walk ten paces in today's first-person shooter market without tripping over grizzled, sassy, multi-ethnic military types, often wearing (or at least located somewhere inside) suits of powered armor each the size of four brick shithouses stacked together. Turok goes the extra mile by ripping off the entire cryopod scene from "Aliens" verbatim, except with Sigourney Weaver replaced with an overly masculine stupid haircut. No change there then (har har har, raucous laughter). When you consider that the original Turok games were about a time-traveling red Indian, this new installment has had to really work hard to rip of "Aliens". They had to lock the established setting and storyline in a wardrobe and throw it off a cliff. They've approached ripping off "Aliens" with the same determination that most developers would approach making a game that's actually good, and that's sort of admirable, I guess, in a retarded kind of way.

5. Stop zooming into the backs of people's heads to show we're taking control of them.

6. Stop blowing all your money on big-name voice actors who then totally phone it in. So Turok has this grumpy friend who looks like a cross between Gimli, son of Gloin, and Popeye the Sailorman, and whose voice indicates that he is A) incapable of human emotion, and B) a recent victim of cranial drill intrusion. Out of curiosity, I went on IMDB to learn what amateur dramatics wannabe voiced this gobshite, and found it to be none other than Ron Fuck-Mothering Perlman. A Ron Perlman I could only assume who realized early on what kind of dross he was working with, and vowed to bring that across in his performance, and if Ron Perlman thought Turok was shit, who are you to argue? Did you ever warm the frozen hearts of audiences worldwide in "City of Lost Children"? No? Well, shut up then.

7. Conclusion. Most of these problems with modern FPS's can be explained with four words: "Let's be like Halo." But I remember a time when FPS's didn't all march in step behind that inexplicably popular festival of mediocrity; when FPS's weren't all about soldiers or Space Marines; when they could be about undead cowboys, or backwards pig rapists, or wisecracking misogynistic wankers. I remember a time when FPS's had a sense of humor about themselves, and could have colors other than Gunmetal Grey and Dogshit Brown. I remember titles like Exhumed, and Chasm, and Witchhaven 2, although on reflection I'd rather forget about them.

ClassicThunder

Dec 28, 2007
This was the very worst on in my opinion. Low on humor and just a bit of bitching about the way modern FPSs are heading. I just kind of went WTF and didn't even grin. He's should stay away from FPSs if he doesn't want progress and to remain in the early nintindo era.

Sgurd

Jan 25, 2008
Australia doesn't have No More Heroes yet?

That's a goddamn shame. I've anxiously been looking forward to a ZP review of it for almost 2 months now. Screw you Rising Star.

p0nda

Aug 25, 2007
Mad Pony said:
I know it's terribly upsetting to you that people aren't constantly asking your opinion but if I have to read another of your insipid, pseudo-intellectual ramblings I will f'ing lose it. AND I HAVE ONLY READ TWO!
Young man, you need to take the classical approach to beddo:
tl;dr
I can say unequivocally that I have never read any of his posts. Why? Because I come here for 2 reasons:
1) To be jolly for 5 minutes while I watch/listen Yahtzee
2) To be jolly for 2 more minutes when I see another "first" banned (curse you Satosuke for depriving me this week!)

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Holy skullfucking jesus, I am so glad I don't live in Australia. What exactly is it about living south of the equator that makes it that much harder to give you your fucking games the same time america does? Fucking cockseepage if you ask me.

I now have it from two different sources that Turok is shit piled on top of fail and then molded into a velociraptor, so it's good to put that one to rest. I remember playing the first one and liking it but I then realize that at around the same time as the first game came out I till thought Barney was fucking brilliant, so let's not ask my younger self his opinion on what makes a good videogame.

Edit: God I wish using the internet required a license stating that you had to have an IQ above room temperature to state your opinions.

Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
In GTA Vice City. Here, mouse control is inferior to the self-aiming and locking thing, which is removed from PC GTA ports.
I'll have to call foul here as GTA:VC is not really a FPS. And it's better on the PC.
But a good try.