Zero Punctuation: Turok

Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
In GTA Vice City. Here, mouse control is inferior to the self-aiming and locking thing, which is removed from PC GTA ports.
I'll have to call foul here as GTA:VC is not really a FPS. And it's better on the PC.
But a good try.
Its not. I had GTA III on PC and on Ps2, and aside from riipping the radio stations and sound effects 9like the final scene) to my iPod,
And altering the clothes, and the gravity and adding your own music, and playing on work computers and changing the voices and changing the cars and getting the Hovertank and changing into Superman....
the PS2 version was much better.
Oh and PC had better graphics
And you never specified fps.
Uhhhh...
{quote]Name one way that non-mouse control for any FPS is not the best.[/quote]
Yes I did. And I can just boot UT2004 and add autoaiming and locking with a mouse click.

UT 2004 which is PC only...

I admit we don't have Goldeneye (Well, unless you have the N64 emulator, or the PS2 emulator, which allows you to use mouse as well)...but seriously, mouse is superior, listen to the big Y.

Feb 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
He did.

The_Root_of_all_evil basically responded to the "Mouses aren't for FPSs" post the same way I would have, so no need to add anything.

Regarding the review, I must admit that the ending is probably the best one I have seen in any of your reviews to date. And, despite pointing out the "not-to-do" list for FPSs, nobody will listen (as you have also pointed out). And I semi-agree with the health bar for FPSs. I doubt any WWII soldier knew his exact health state during a battle, BUT one would expect that those fancy space marine suits have a built-in health monitoring system.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Finally, someone figured out that every FPS since Halo has tried to copy it ten trillion times. I hate remakes altogether, although CoD4 is fricken fun, most remakes are bad. And Turok is no exception, its good in theory but A Sound of Thunder was a better dinosaur movie, JP too.

gungravesan7

Mar 11, 2008
Thisusernameisjustanotherwasteofspace said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
He did.

The_Root_of_all_evil basically responded to the "Mouses aren't for FPSs" post the same way I would have, so no need to add anything.

Regarding the review, I must admit that the ending is probably the best one I have seen in any of your reviews to date. And, despite pointing out the "not-to-do" list for FPSs, nobody will listen (as you have also pointed out). And I semi-agree with the health bar for FPSs. I doubt any WWII soldier knew his exact health state during a battle, BUT one would expect that those fancy space marine suits have a built-in health monitoring system.
well who needs a health monitoring system when you only have 2 options - you are in, as Yahzee said, somewhere within a huge suit so either you don't really feel anything or you're dead....

I must say that I can't quite get the concept of console FPS games... it's just twisted and unfriendly and all sorts of other words I can't think of wright now, but have a similar meaning... Even though Yahzee pointed out the "lack of mouse" problem, you have to agree that if you really want to play a FPS you'd prefer a PC FPS and not a console one....

Agorm

Jan 17, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
In GTA Vice City. Here, mouse control is inferior to the self-aiming and locking thing, which is removed from PC GTA ports.

But yeah, Ctrl sucks on many levels. Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is way better.
RPG like and is Third person.

TuxedoZombie

Nov 23, 2007
Wow, I thought I was the only one who when thinking of Ron Perlman thinks of his role in City of Lost Children, not Hellboy or Alien Resurrection. Anyways, awesome film reference on Yahtzee's part.

Esmoreit

Oct 10, 2007
This review left me with some remarks and questions, some more serious then others though:

Am I correct that Goldeneye was the first FPS where we had a camera going into the protagonist (Bonds) head?

What was up with that "respond to De-Rez"? From what I gathered someone must have made some critique against "the Yahtzee" but I completely missed it.

Isn't it strange though that despite Australia being colonised by English criminals and indeed prostitudes and their childeren, it's still weird that both Europa and Australia tend to be "forgotten" in the game-distribution. Though in all fairness, Australia still has it worse.

Though I know that CAD-comic is a bit of the whipping boy on the internet game-related pages, what did Tim do to incite the wrath of Yahtzee?
(I know Buckley never devotes any webspace to critique but I so hope to see a newspost concerning this.)

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Mad Pony said:
Beddo you infuriate me, and I'm showing incredible restraint here by using the word "infuriate". The manner in which you reviewed this game is infinitely less interesting than Yahtzee's own review. You're either incredibly ignorant of the way people perceive you or you've the balls the size of sputnik, because if neither of these states were the case then you certainly wouldn't have posted a review of a game within the thread devoted to a review of the very same game.

God only knows how many times before you've used other people's opinions to soapbox your own ideas from. I know it's terribly upsetting to you that people aren't constantly asking your opinion but if I have to read another of your insipid, pseudo-intellectual ramblings I will f'ing lose it. AND I HAVE ONLY READ TWO!

I'm not done though! You name instance after instance of why turok sucks, and then you go ahead and say it's a good game. A GOOD GAME!? What else was good, you schmuck? Super Man 64? Friday the 13th for the 8-Bit Nintendo? How did you feel about DAI KATANA? 10/10 RIGHT?

Sweet Raptor Jesus. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but in the comments to a games review, it seems like someone is allowed to post what they feel about it as well, and two people might actually have a discussion about the game.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Jerakal said:
Holy skullfucking jesus, I am so glad I don't live in Australia. What exactly is it about living south of the equator that makes it that much harder to give you your fucking games the same time america does? Fucking cockseepage if you ask me.
Its pretty simple.

A) They can't be fucked to do it right away.
B) Most of such games would not sell as well over here, social factors and the like, so they wait and build a little anticipation in the hopes that more people will buy it at full price.
C) The Office of Film and Literature Classification are a bunch of cokehead?s for the most part, and many games releases are delayed due the the procedures.

However, being a PC gamer, I don't notice. <3 Digital distribution, despite the fact the ISP must use the current telephone infrastructure of copper wires several decades old, and the most we can get is round 24 MB/s?

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Fully agree and yet another review I like. As for games appearing so late in Europe and Australia, well, some persons will try to convince you it's because:

- localisation: because the UK and Australia sure need to wait before US english is
properly converted to the Queen's Englishe and the majority of the rest of gaming Europe sure will have problems playing the games after all those years of watching US/UK series and sitcoms in their native language.

If you look a bit confused at said persons because of this realisation, they will then try to sell you answer B:

- globalisation: waiting for so long between region releases nets more money for the companies (tax reductions/benefits etc) and average consumers still swallow the delays (because they don't know that the other regions get it up to six months earlier or not), so why wouldn't they wait?

Well, I simply call "bollocks", point at the facts that

(a) most games have huge delays between regions

and

(b) Blizzard and Valve and others do pull off very nearly simultaneous worldwide releases. I think everyone can live with only a few days delay as opposed to months and months and months. And months.

then call it a day.

FatRabidRamboCow

Nov 1, 2007
I have no problem with Buckley, but I love how everyone just rips it out of him. It's hilarious. Its like being back in school with the fat kid. You don't hate the kid, he's a nice guy, but you still laugh at the jokes about him.

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
*yawn*

yaay another review about a craptastic FPS, im supprised that the Y man took someone to task for phoning it in since this is about what he did with this weeks review.

am i to assume that i shouldnt buy turok in the specific, or just avoid FPS games in general? (not that i actualy need a reason too).

anyhow, didnt laugh once. and the highpoint was when i relized that the opening music was from jurassic park (example of how bad it really was). though i spose if i was a console FPS fanatic it might have been funny. then again no, it wasnt. nothing new to see here ill just -------> move along and hope for better next week i guess. must have been due to spending all that time naked and drunk in the forrest this past week

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Great video, but I have to disagree with the suggestion that FPS games re marching in step with Halo 3. If that were the case, we wouldn't have so many gritty-brown and jungle green shooters with realistic weapons complete with natural weathered look applied to them. I found the use of colour in the Halo games to be fairly outrageous compared to games like Gears of War, Call of Duty and the various other WW2 shooter clones and I was pleased for it.

Did Halo invent regenerating health? Debateable, probably. However it at least includes a power meter in place of a health bar and it makes perfectly reasonable sense that it would recharge. As far as health bars go in FPS games, they're not entirely dead and I did catch the point about Bioshock being at least developed correctly if not particularly awesomely, and I suppose I'd agree that the health/eve meters in that game were pretty well implemented even if it did result in the main character scoffing any old food he found lying around in an effort to keep himself topped up (instead of doubled over in agony which is an optimistic assessment of what would happen to a real person who chain smoked a full packet of cigarettes in four seconds, drank several bottles of vodka, beer and wine, then sent down massive double handfuls of ten year old crisps in order to quell the riotous vomit rising in his throat).

I'd like to see Duke Nukem Forever return to the Duke 3D/Doom days and give us a numerical value for our health, which we can increase by using liberally scattered medikits and for no particular reason, urinals. Nothing refreshes the body from being savaged by alien mutants with plasma weapons like taking a leak.

randomjoe333333

Mar 16, 2008
Edderz1989 said:
is it just me or is Australia a hypocritical country.

I mean they sent murder's, rapists and othere evil doer's to populate the place and now they are scared witless if a game has more than 2 seconeds of on screen blood spiledge.
nah more like petty thugs, since back then murder and rape = death

Anyways yeah australia is shit mix when it comes to games i swear we get things a year or 5 months after the states have it, this includes movies and latest technology.