Zero Punctuation: Webcomics

cixelsyD

Jul 2, 2008
I find that I don't rely on Zero Punctuation to be funny for me to enjoy it. I find that Yahtzee has similar gaming views to mine and probably many other people (the only time i've ever really disagreed with a yahtzee review was for mass effect). The fact that his videos are hilarious sets him above other standard video reviews. I think Yahtzee believed that since he is finally in a position of influence in society, that he should bring it to people's attention that CAD is boring and uninspired and doesn't deserve the following or respect it gets.

If you read the two comics about Puzzle Quest, one from PA and the other from CAD, I don't believe you can say the CAD one was better with a straight face.

mrbearbear83

Mar 17, 2008
Previously (in which ZP I forget) Yahtzee states that web comics forget that too many fucking words ruin the whole feel of webcomics (I think it was one of the J-game masterpeices). And in saying this Yahtzee is right, many webcomics I 'read' leave me sleeping softly on the sofa, because my brain has decided that there are better things for it to do, like cure cancer and has left my corpse to rot.
Anyhow what I'm trying to say is this is a great follow up to that statement. It is a good break from general game beating (not that i'll ever get bored of that). mailbag review (response?) was an other example of this and its was fucking awesome too.
So, like some smelly orphan: may I have some more please?

ianfox1992

Apr 24, 2008
I have just read some of the TEN PAGES of CAD bashing and CAD supporting and the combination of the two polar opposites in such close proximity have left me slightly dizzy. I have seen excellent arguments from both sides and it is interesting to see such a variety of well crafted arguments as ?Tim is a douche? and ?Yahtzee is a douche? but I feel as though both sides have long ago played their hands and IT?S TIME TO MOVE ON!!! If you have something interesting, witty or shocking to say please follow these directions

1) Write it on some program that has a spell check (such as Microsoft Word) and copy and paste so we don?t have to reed you?er misspealings

2) Read the thousand or so posts that have gone up to see if what you?re about to say has
already been posted, noted and discussed

3) Realize that what you were planning to say has already been mentioned ten or two hundred times

4) Throw away whatever you were going to say about CAD and write a beautifully crafted essay about Yahtzee, Zero Punctuation, internet freedoms and the malleability of internet supporters everywhere

5) Calmly and peacefully comment on other peoples discussions while trying to save obscenities only for situations that desperately require them

For the anti-CAD - Tim Buckley is an artist and thrives off of any publicity, positive or negative. If you want to bring him down IGNORE HIM, don?t spend your hours sending him scathing emails or posting long drawn out statements calling him ?Fuckley? or writing strips for CADbortion, just don?t do anything. CAD?s amount of viewers dropped by around 60% since January and he has likely crippled himself permanently. And Whatever you do DON?T post one line statements saying ?CAD is for faggots? or the like, those statements merely validate the arguments of the pro-CAD that all anti-CAD are slack jawed morons incapable of expressing any complex emotion or statement without falling back on disgusting homophobia and a gross misunderstanding of human rights

For the pro-CAD ? Tim Buckley is a big boy; he doesn?t need you to fight his battles for him. As he has already stated about the infamous abortion comic (in full here http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/news.php?i=1636 he ?wanted to see if he could write it. If he could pull it off?. Tim expected this kind of response and considered all of his options and decided to go through with it, whether you agree with his decision or not, that took balls and you don?t need to defend his actions.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed a rather disturbing trend of self-referential irony and self-defeatism in Yahtzee?s videos? I am concerned because I thought that Yahtzee was strong enough to not need that crutch but after recent videos, well, I guess I?m having my doubts.

SBoggart

Jul 2, 2008
I'm not going to lie, CAD is far from the funniest webcomic on the internet. In fact, it's soooo far that- well- you get the idea. However, I still like it. I believe I heard somewhere that Tim Buckley had been in a relationship in which his partner had a miscarriage and that it was based on that. I can understand bringing a part of your life into a story like that.

Every which way you slice it, I think both Yahtzee and Tim handled this poorly. If he was in fact in a relationship with a miscarriage, then I think the reference in this week's ZP was extremely distasteful of Yahtzee. While I'd like to say I'd expect better from him, I can't- despite the fact that I think he's the best game reviewer and first GOOD game reviewer in the history of the internet. Really though, this is the only ZP I've remotely disliked, and it's not that big of a deal.

Tim could have responded better to that thread rather than covering his ass with that vauge comment and locked it.

Donkeyboy

Nov 12, 2007
Hey guys, long time viewer but first time poster. I just want to say that this is the first time I have seen an episode of zero-punctuation and not laughed once. Normally Yahtzee has me in tears of laughter but frankly this seemed very personally insulting towards Tim Buckley and his comic and wasn't the sort of thing I have come to expect from a talented and imaginative reviewer like Yahtzee. You can take the piss out of games all you like, you can taker the piss out of game developers and designers and gamers and whatever. But Tim Buckley has been making his comic for 6 years now and the story about the miscarriage did come from personal experience of his. Anyone who is a frequent visitor to the CAD frontpage will definatley have seen the long message that he left on the day that he posted the miscarriage story. He said, and I quote:
''I have had this story set out for a long time now. When I introduced Lilah as a character I knew that she and Ethan would have a baby and that it would miscarry...This story was based on my own experience with my ex-girlfriend. Like Ethan and Lilah, our child was unplanned and as we were stil teenagers we didn't know what we were going to do... When my girlfriend miscarried I felt a mixture of sadness and relief...because I knew that we weren't ready for a baby. I know that it meant that I had a very different experience than if she and I had been trying for a baby, but nontheless led me to want to write about it...etc''

Sorry, but I get slightly angry when people who don't know the facts start stating lies instead. It's funny how so far I am the only person I have seen to say anything about this, which means that you are all a bunch of hippocrites for saying that people who like CAD are blind when none of you can see when Yahtzee gets it wrong. And believe me, even though I do love Zero Punctuation, I have to say that he is wrong on alot of things that no-one ever calls him on.

Funny that

flyinglama

Jun 5, 2008
The Irony of this is that earlier this week I was reading a webcomic* that mentioned spore. And I though 'hun, I wonder if Yathzee i going to review spore this week?'...
*http://www.applegeeks.com/comics/viewcomic.php?issue=458

Nadsat

May 30, 2008
mrbearbear83 said:
Previously (in which ZP I forget) Yahtzee states that web comics forget that too many fucking words ruin the whole feel of webcomics (I think it was one of the J-game masterpeices). And in saying this Yahtzee is right, many webcomics I 'read' leave me sleeping softly on the sofa, because my brain has decided that there are better things for it to do, like cure cancer and has left my corpse to rot.
Anyhow what I'm trying to say is this is a great follow up to that statement. It is a good break from general game beating (not that i'll ever get bored of that). mailbag review (response?) was an other example of this and its was fucking awesome too.
So, like some smelly orphan: may I have some more please?
It was the mass effect review, actually. Actually, comparing Ctrl Alt Del with Perry Bible Fellowship (a fantastic webcomic that everyone should read) it's very easy to see what Buckley's faults are as a comedian and an artist.

*Too many god-damn words
*Inexpressive and one-dimensional characters
*Too many god-damn words
*A general in-ability to draw facial expressions or emotion (this was attempted in the miscarriage story arc, but never really pulled off particularly well)
*Oh, and he uses too many words

I've read a fair number of CAD comics, and have never really laughed once

Feb 9, 2008
Just looked over those miscarriage comics.

Honestly, what the fuck was he thinking? Personal experience or not, is anyone who likes those comics going there to see stories of miscarriage?

I can only give a huge WTF to it.

will866

Jul 2, 2008
AHAHAHA oh wow

B^uckley closed down a section of his forums because a guy was Yahtzee's words to critique him. Life imitates art, as Yahtzee will no doubt appear as a comical antagonist in his next strip.

Aidanadv

May 10, 2008
will866 said:
AHAHAHA oh wow

B^uckley closed down a section of his forums because a guy was Yahtzee's words to critique him. Life imitates art, as Yahtzee will no doubt appear as a comical antagonist in his next strip.
If he wants to live down his reputation as being some sort of pedo control freak he isn't doing it right.

Feb 13, 2008
So tempted to call out 381st!

Never mind, I'm over it now. I thought you were going to do retro-reviews when nothing was coming out though Yahtzee? What next...Yahtzee reviews Starbucks?

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
RaiDK said:
I read CAD until I realized one day that it wasn't funny in the slightest.

Like seriously, wtf do you call this:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080630
The especially funny thing is that Penny Arcade did a much funnier [http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/6/23/] Alone in the Dark joke only a week or so before that.

Was the Mega Man sprites comment supposed to be aimed at Bob And George (which I thought was a pretty good comic) or just a reference to how many bad sprite comics there are?

Soviet Joe

Jul 2, 2008
Donkeyboy said:
You can take the piss out of games all you like, you can taker the piss out of game developers and designers and gamers and whatever. But Tim Buckley has been making his comic for 6 years now... and so on
Yes, because this ISN'T BLATANT HYPOCRISY. Yahtzee's not allowed to take the piss out of an (rather poor and over-rated, in my opinion) artist, but allowed to take the piss out of other artists? Because why, they made something bad? Maybe you should read the past 11 pages and see how a lot of people consider Buckley's work bad, bandwagon jumping or not. Surely then, he's as much fair game as the rest?

Don't get me wrong. The video itself just seems like a vitriolic attack, for the main reason Yahtzee doesn't like the victim or his work. I have no argument with you there. However, I found it funny, while not up to his usual standards, and I also think if you take every word he says dead seriously, you really need your head examined.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Donkeyboy said:
Hey guys, long time viewer but first time poster. I just want to say that this is the first time I have seen an episode of zero-punctuation and not laughed once. Normally Yahtzee has me in tears of laughter but frankly this seemed very personally insulting towards Tim Buckley and his comic and wasn't the sort of thing I have come to expect from a talented and imaginative reviewer like Yahtzee. You can take the piss out of games all you like, you can taker the piss out of game developers and designers and gamers and whatever. But Tim Buckley has been making his comic for 6 years now and the story about the miscarriage did come from personal experience of his. Anyone who is a frequent visitor to the CAD frontpage will definatley have seen the long message that he left on the day that he posted the miscarriage story. He said, and I quote:
''I have had this story set out for a long time now. When I introduced Lilah as a character I knew that she and Ethan would have a baby and that it would miscarry...This story was based on my own experience with my ex-girlfriend. Like Ethan and Lilah, our child was unplanned and as we were stil teenagers we didn't know what we were going to do... When my girlfriend miscarried I felt a mixture of sadness and relief...because I knew that we weren't ready for a baby. I know that it meant that I had a very different experience than if she and I had been trying for a baby, but nontheless led me to want to write about it...etc''
*sigh* as much as I hate CAD, I am glad that someone mentioned this little tidbit... it's made me really uncomfortable seeing all the people jumping down his throat for this. How well he handled it is open to debate, but it was still rather poignant.

That said, it would have been made so much better if his characters were capable of expressing emotions, but Buckley refuses how to learn to draw any discernible facial expressions or any sense of perspective. The story could have been touching, but the effect was completely ruined by the blank, slack-jawed stare that is present on every one of his characters 24/7. I find CAD to be completely unreadable because of it. Well, that and this [http://refried.timtekindustries.com/index.php?comicID=58].

If you're going to deal with something dramatic, learn how to at least convey feelings.

Mr. Smiles

Jul 2, 2008
To be honest, I just hope this doesn't become a regular back and forth thing between Ben and Tim. This is something we as both gamers and comedy seekers do NOT need. It's fun to see a bashing now and then, so long as it doesn't turn into an all out flame war.