Zero Punctuation: Webcomics

SilentFish

Jun 12, 2008
Exactly why is it that anyone is surprised at this video? If anyone ventured over to FullyRamblomatic they would see that Yahtzee has a standing hatred of CAD and the fact that he is paid to hate things made this video inevitable. Those who feel that he was unfairly targeting CAD must realize that Yhatzee hates specific games most of the time and I fail to see how hating a specific webcomic is any different. We're all entitled to our opinions no matter how offensive some may perceive them. Don't get angry at him for his hate because it was based on his perception of the comic, presant before he was a internet celebrity. In Tim's defense some of his comics are actually quite funny but a number of them can be lackluster or tedious but as humor is subjective I find it difficult to believe that personal opinions can be considered invalid.

It doesn't matter where the material came from, why Tim put it there, or what his intent was. The mere fact that ANYONE mindlessly shouts CAD sucks or Yhatzee sucks without explanation is a testimate to your own ignorance and shallow mindset. Take it at face value, you like it or you don't, but quit bitching about fairness since neither Tim nor Yhatzee care what any of you have to say.

Finally... To say that anyone is wrong on matters of opinion is an impossibility because there is no right or wrong is these matters. If you do not agree with another's opinion say so, but saying they're wrong lacks meaning or purpose.

Spookie

Jul 2, 2008
Nadsat said:
It was the mass effect review, actually. Actually, comparing Ctrl Alt Del with Perry Bible Fellowship (a fantastic webcomic that everyone should read - Agreed Spookie) it's very easy to see what Buckley's faults are as a comedian and an artist.

*Too many god-damn words
*Inexpressive and one-dimensional characters
*Too many god-damn words
*A general in-ability to draw facial expressions or emotion (this was attempted in the miscarriage story arc, but never really pulled off particularly well)
*Oh, and he uses too many words
I normally don't feel compelled to post on videos/blogs/posts but this. This I could not avoid.

I did register to highlight many other of his flaws in his car wreak of a webcomic but appears someone beat me to the mark.

So I'll move on to my other point.

Is he a fucking idiot? Miscarriage?

I've not had the silver spoon placed firmly up my arse like many others no doubt posting here. We've all had our fair few trials and tribulations. But what you don't do, even if you are a bat shit crazy socialite, is drag up a dead and buried topic (sorry - not intended) for page hits.

As you can safely assume, I side very much with Yahtzee. Though admittedly I did laugh at this video. I'm aware he was drawing attention to other bottom-of-the-barrel comics out there (VGcats being one that sticks to the front of my mind). It's hard not to feel that Tim stole the day again. I do feel tragically sorry for Tim if this is the kind of drivel he has to draw to get attention.

Congratulations. You're a grade A fruitloop.

BTW, Keep up the good work Yahtzee you're an inspiration!

Magister2005

Jun 25, 2008
What's sad about this review is that it's like a cut and paste template: it works for most webcomics out there.

GaranjeAutomatic

Jul 2, 2008
Dang, man, DANG. I have to admit that your inherent bitterness is basically what gives you your charm (the same reason that people enjoy characters in a certain medium because they're adorably blunt and cynical) but it all kind of flies out of the window when you start to call other people on it. Sure, saying that you're "aware of the hypocrisy" is a disclaimer towards something like that, but you can hardly make fun of such a trait when it's basically WHO YOU ARE. You certainly can't point out that one way to success is by being a douche in such a condescending tone that it could burn the lips off your face while simultaneously attacking gamers, game developers, Americans, the Japanese, Australia, children, and half a million other demographics in your videos and then stand up and expect applause. Not from anyone with a brain in their skull, anyway.

Criticism aside, you did a good job with picking out a lot of stuff that's really wrong with the webcomics business - probably most importantly the "lifting up of the autobiographical and self-representational protagonist as a charming God". It gets fucking irritating.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
As to my thoughts on the video: I thought this was fairly amusing but there's one big problem with this video: It's really all about Ctrl+Alt+Del, and as a result really comes out as a Take That [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TakeThat]. If it were about the fallacies of gaming comics in general, with a small bit of an emphasis on Ctrl+Alt+Del, it would be much better.

For example, Strong Bad's take on webcomics [http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail181.html] was flat-out hilarious (well, everything Strong Bad does is flat-out hilarious, I guess). However, note that at no point was any webcomic in particular singled out; when he makes fun of gaming comics, he makes fun of GAMING COMICS, not any specific comic.

Soviet Joe

Jul 2, 2008
Most of all, I look forward to seeing what Yahtzee says about this on Fully Ramblomatic, if anything.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Lord_Seth said:
As to my thoughts on the video: I thought this was fairly amusing but there's one big problem with this video: It's really all about Ctrl+Alt+Del, and as a result really comes out as a Take That [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TakeThat]. If it were about the fallacies of gaming comics in general, with a small bit of an emphasis on Ctrl+Alt+Del, it would be much better.
The problem with that is, the format that he describes for CAD applies to 90% of all gaming comics out there, so in a way it WAS a jab at gaming comics in general.

Lord_Seth said:
For example, Strong Bad's take on webcomics [http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail181.html] was flat-out hilarious (well, everything Strong Bad does is flat-out hilarious, I guess). However, note that at no point was any webcomic in particular singled out; when he makes fun of gaming comics, he makes fun of GAMING COMICS, not any specific comic.
The person who sent in that e-mail, Gunkiller, is actually a friend of mine. I wish he'd taken the advice to heart. ^_^;

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I love and hate this video, mainly because I like that he didn't review a game so it was a little more interesting, and of course this also means he's straying away a little more because now he realizes how fucking influential he is - but ranting about gaming webcomics is borderline "off topic"...borderline.

I love how everyone just says "man he must hate CAD" even though he didn't mention ANY names other than penny arcade.

Love how it also says "Still very much aware of the hypocrisy thank you!" - (go to that site at the end of the video and check out his comic.) and of course him and his flip flopping of opinions.

cegorach

Jul 2, 2008
The main difference that sets Yahtzee apart from CAD and its ilk is an understanding of wit and irony as tools of humour, rather than simply repackaging web forum memes. The 'hypocrisy' of this ZP is ironic hypocrisy, in that it is meant to present a self-referential mirror that outlines obvious flaws. Of course, the problem with people who don't grasp irony is that they tend to be the people least likely to be self-referential in a critical sense. Something which is also pointed out in this ZP as well.

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
The only part of this episode that was blatantly about CAD was the miscarriage portion. The rest, though it to can be applied to CAD, can be spread across such a wide variety of gaming webcomics that saying it is solely an attack on CAD is unfounded.

I think it goes to show just how completely unoriginal they all (including CAD) are. CAD just happens to be one of the more popular abortions that get posted regularly to the web that follow the script he laid out.

Z4N5H1N

Jun 18, 2008
Mr. Smiles said:
To be honest, I just hope this doesn't become a regular back and forth thing between Ben and Tim. This is something we as both gamers and comedy seekers do NOT need. It's fun to see a bashing now and then, so long as it doesn't turn into an all out flame war.
Are you fucking kidding?

That would be amazing.

Kadathwack

Jul 2, 2008
The thing I want to give points to CAD for concerning the miscarriage storyline is that it managed to actually surprise me twice. Once when the actual pregnancy came about, and then again with it's conclusion. Web-comics aren't usually a thing that can throw you for a loop, so there's that shock factor I would credit him with.

After that surprise wore of though, the entire thing felt kind of... pointless. Ultimately, all of the characters wound up in the exact same place they were in before the tale started, so much so that if you skipped over the entire thing I don't think you would miss a beat. And we're already back to the 'funny'.

And that's what I think hurts the seriousness a lot more than any kind of artistic complaints you may have would. The whole thing had a huge potential for some character and plot development, but really feels wasted to me. What should be a huge speed bump in the road of the character's lives feels greatly diminished.

Nov 28, 2007
My main problem is that whenever you ask almost any anti-CAD person why they don't like CAD, they usually reply with some variant of either "Because it sucks," which to me reeks of circular logic, or "Because Tim Buckley isn't nice," which is like saying Guns N' Roses sucks because Axl Rose is a jackass. You almost never get an intelligent response. And if you admit to LIKING CAD, then you have people who "instantly lose ALL respect for you as a human being," (direct quote from a response in this topic), or declare you certifiable.

Erzei

Feb 21, 2008
I was reading some of the CAD comics and never found them funny.

I think this is even more funny: http://www.hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-06-29

cegorach

Jul 2, 2008
thebobmaster said:
My main problem is that whenever you ask almost any anti-CAD person why they don't like CAD, they usually reply with some variant of either "Because it sucks," which to me reeks of circular logic, or "Because Tim Buckley isn't nice," which is like saying Guns N' Roses sucks because Axl Rose is a jackass. You almost never get an intelligent response. And if you admit to LIKING CAD, then you have people who "instantly lose ALL respect for you as a human being," (direct quote from a response in this topic), or declare you certifiable.
I don't like it because it is the pie-in-the-face of webcomics. I don't give a monkey's about who writes it, just that it seems simply unable to use subtle wit and needs to smack you in the face with 'humour' you have seen on a dozen forums already, illustrated in a painfully drawn out fashion. It's like the guy in the office who tells a joke and explains why it is funny as he goes along just in case you happen to have a similar learning difficulty to him.

PA does this on occasion but generally has a much higher level of subtlety when delivering gags.

I always get the feeling that every third CAD panel should have an embedded .wav file that shouts LOL when you mouse over it, and every fourth should randomly shout 'NINJAS' 'PIRATES' 'CAKE' or whatever tired meme the preteens are giggling at now.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Very funny episode, but man is Yahtzee wandering into the Wank Zone with it.

I'd also like to call out all the haterz (whatever comic the bile is directed at) for succumbing to the very "drama" here that Yahtzee was blithering on about in the comic. Way to be willing tools, dudes. Try making up your own minds for a change instead of being pliable clay for the first intelligent hand to come along.

-- Steve

OZsome

Jul 2, 2008
Wow how is Yahtzee so fucking funny I lol my ass off also every web video I watch?