Zero Punctuation: Webcomics

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Glad he touched upon this, I had real issues with CAD's change of theme tbh, it was a bit... much.

Z4N5H1N

Jun 18, 2008
Lord_Seth said:
Was the Mega Man sprites comment supposed to be aimed at Bob And George (which I thought was a pretty good comic) or just a reference to how many bad sprite comics there are?
Bob and George was fucking great. I think it may have been one of the first webcomics ever, too.

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
Hmm... my Earthbound webcomic is starting to follow some of the cliches mentioned in Yahtzee's review. Bah, it's so easy to fall for it!

I never knew webcomics had serious twists in storylines (like miscarriages) before. Then again... I don't read many webcomics. Just 8-Bit and that Chicanery one with Earthbound characters.

TrevorOfCrete

Jun 14, 2008
Good entertainment, couldnt enjoy it to its max since i really dont know what a game comic is. But as always Yahzee's scaving review was highly satisfying.

sandswipe

Nov 28, 2007
I read a lot of webcomics, and even though I've read through ctrl-alt-del I'm still hesitant to call myself a fan. It was never quite bad enough for me to stop reading, but it has never made me want to be sure to check the site at the exact second it updates either. I'm glad he's trying to extend himself as an artist, but he is doing it wrong. I think I'd respect him more if he kept CAD going as random humor and then did a serious side project (other dual-comic sites: applegeeks, questionable content, terrorisland/request comics, achewood and it's ten character blogs) instead of just mixing the two and pouring horrible things on an audience that wasn't looking for them.

The only time I've ever seen a humor comic turn to drama successfully was sluggy freelance. Some of the stories fall flat (most of those semi-annual Harry Potter parodies), but the characters genuinely grow over time, and even in the darkest storyline he manages to stick in some awesome one-liners that don't distract from the mood. The art is decent, and the wordy comics actually advance the story in subtle ways. Also, almost all of his dramatic comics are freaking huge. What he really needs to do is wrap it and it's TEN YEARS OF DAILY UPDATES up and start something that's accessible to new readers who don't have a straight month to waste catching up. Dresden Codak ALMOST did it right, but by updating half as often as he used to right at the climax of the story he kind of ruined it.

Guy who doesn't think comics are art: go read Ballad. It takes a while to get to the dialogue, but if that series isn't art (good or bad), then no one anywhere has ever created art.
http://www.moderntales.com/comics/ballad.php?view=archive&chapter=12228&mpe=0

Good episode, but not as good as a decent game review. Yahtzee should have either done a classic or import game, those are always great.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
CAD has it's bright moments although they are not too many ^^ Pretty good video though, covers alot of other webcomics aswell :D

ignosco

Mar 28, 2008
I just read Ben's talk on CAD at his site before this came out. I'm glad it wasn't all about CAD though. I like that he's doing videos about different things at the moment.

cixelsyD

Jul 2, 2008
Erzei said:
I was reading some of the CAD comics and never found them funny.

I think this is even more funny: http://www.hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-06-29
Talking about hl comic, which is amazing but only if you've played HL2, here's my favorite:

http://www.hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2006-01-16

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
hahahah very nice

can't wait until you tear into the diablo series since d3 is announced

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Good review, although CAD can be funny (Go Chef Brian!) and my personal fav is still PVP Online. Thumbs up, Yahtzee.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
I don't *dislike* CAD; it's occasionally amusing enough to be worth the 10 seconds it takes to read it- but that was an awesome video. Seriously, the whole miscarriage thing was incredibly misguided. I also see a VG Cats swipe there, which is also deserved. VG Cats has had some true moments of brilliance, but it's been a long time since it was anything but filler.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
There's nothing wrong with a serious storyline, and CAD had potential with the miscarriage.

However, everything is wrong when said storylines are dealt with in a completely fucked up manner, swerving between HAHAZANY and OHGODWERESERIOUS panels. That kind of schizophrenic writing is not deep or original - it's just sloppy and badly done. Sadly, you make that kind of remark and you're accused of "not getting" CAD.

SamW89

Jul 2, 2008
I must say that I disagree with his opinion on webcomics. I'll admit that there are many, many, bad webcomics out there. Such as the entirety of DrunkDuck.com's collection. However, I am a fan of a few webcomics, particularly CTRL ALT DEL, which Yahtzee seems to rag on a fair bit. I'm also a fan of MegaTokyo.

For the hundreds of badly made, no effort involved, webcomics "MegaMan and Kirby Neo X 2099" and such, there are one or two good webcomics which are actually good. I'd highly recommend Purgatory Tower as a prime example.

It seems that lately, all Yahtzee seems to do is try to annoy as many people as possible, to get his popularity up - after all, controversy sells. This has been true for Metal Gear Solid 4, The World Ends With You, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I do feel that this is going a step too far though as he's throwing every webcomic, ever, into the same pot and trying to claim they're all the same.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
portuga-man said:
I don't know, yahtzee. Mr. John Solomon already has this covered.
...except that Yahtzee is actually funny and not just a attention-whoring dick who doesn't know when to write one sentence about something and when to write four paragraphs.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
SamW89 said:
It seems that lately, all Yahtzee seems to do is try to annoy as many people as possible, to get his popularity up - after all, controversy sells. This has been true for Metal Gear Solid 4, The World Ends With You, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I do feel that this is going a step too far though as he's throwing every webcomic, ever, into the same pot and trying to claim they're all the same.
So it's perfectly fine for him to rag on something if it doesn't have a legion of fans that see nothing wrong with the game? <_<

anyad

Jul 2, 2008
I have to say that I was quite disappointed with this week's feature. Up until now, I was amused by Yahtzee's reviews very much, even if I disagreed with some of them (Painkiller a good game? WTH?), but this was somewhat arrogant. Is there some personal history behind the authors of Zero Punctuation and CAD? Because I have not yet found any reason Tim to be "Up his ass" or "A twat"- He writes mostly enjoyable web comics which are simpler than PA (Which is at places too abstract and weird for my personal tastes), and from his blog he seems to be quite a normal guy. If this is only about adding drama to CAD, it's even more appaling and elitist- The miscarriage relevation was very tastefully done, had buildup and was indeed sad. There's nothing wrong about that, because he had a girlfriend once who miscarried and simply wanted to process this in his comic even before he finished the story arc. He does not need any reason to change the comic akin to this for a period of time, so I do not see what the bashing is for. Let those who have fun reading it enjoy it, and those who dislike it ignore it. Hate and disrespect should not spread. I thought Yahtzee was smarter than that to join that gang. ANd i take that no one watched Scrubs around here? It is indeed possible to mix drama with humour. Ever heard of tragic comedies?

MightyMouse

Dec 24, 2007
My god yes. Frankly CAD has always been rubbish, but the point of this wasn't CAD at all, it was the legion of dross that seeps across the internet masquerading as humour, or maybe art.

anyad

Jul 2, 2008
It's light hearted entertainment, not art. I'll take that instead of bitter elitists any day. It does not have to be approved by everyone to be enjoyable for some and I do not think CAD ever wanted to run for a webby-Oscar or something :p