Zero Punctuation: Yahtzee Goes to GDC

kingflab

Jun 15, 2007
Poida12 said:
Though it is not worth noting Stoic doesn't mean what Yahtzee thinks Stoic means. I am not going to bother to go into the details here except to say that true Stoicism is simply accepting neccessity (i am currently writing a thesis on Stoicism so trust me on this). There is a difference between silent and Stoic, between emotionless and being in control of your emotions. But who really cares about that besides me? Go forth and read Marcus Aurelius' Meditations friends and foes alike.

I say this because technically the Bioshock guy isn't Stoic at all (and technically is called Jack and so also has a name) but rather is just a gun toting guy. So Gordon Freeman should win by default. He is a man who is in a real shitty situation completely outside his control who just accepts it and makes the best of it. That is definantely Stoic. While Jack is to some extent driven by forces outside his control he doesn't take them well at all. In fact it you take into account the endings to the game he is either too nice or too mean to ever be Stoic. But like i said who really cares about my wild ramblings?

How is the 'Bioshock guy' not stoic at all? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but most unrestrained people (especially those in situation of fear, pain and severe distress in a terrifying mutant-infested underwater city)would be running around like a man on fire shouting "SHIT SHIT ITS GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!". I mean lets face facts here, to walk into what is figuratively the epitemy of horror takes a damn sure stoic attitude. Gordon Freeman at the very least has a seemingly attractive companion, a HEV suit, a legendary status, and he clearly went to Specsavers - he's not restrained, he's just well equipped.

In regards to the review... its just a review. I enjoyed it, censorship or not it made me laugh. For me Yahtzee is more or less like most of the people I know, a miserable constantly complaining satirical bastard who cant help but criticize. A friend of mine once made a well constructed argument that the "The Scream" (by Edvard Munch) is that crap that nobody can even understand what its supposed to be... thats Yahtzee, its satire, its meant to be satire, it doesn't matter what his views are and it doesn't matter what his views stand for, its an opinion; an opinion which is funnily enough constructed around a rant. You might as well call the Pope biased towards Catholicism.

If you want a none-biased opinion based on equality, fairness and a decent moral standard go read the Daily Mail.

pinkgothic

Feb 1, 2008
Dr. Whiggs said:
You wound me, sir.
And, argh, NOES! I fail at witty comeback! *lies broken on the floor*

Okay, you win the internet for today.
Don't break it, please, I like it here.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
pinkgothic said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
You wound me, sir.
And, argh, NOES! I fail at witty comeback! *lies broken on the floor*

Okay, you win the internet for today.
Don't break it, please, I like it here.
Is this good natured ribbing or are we fighting?

pinkgothic

Feb 1, 2008
Apologies for blurring that line - it was intended as good-natured ribbing. And I honestly failed at witty comeback there... so I am turning over the internet to you for today. ^_~

kingflab

Jun 15, 2007
eupharis said:
Please do not beep in the future. It detracts from the humor considerably.
How does bleeping detract from the humour?

I'm struggling to understand why so many people are unhappy with the bleeping. Swearing should not create humour in itself, its the context the word is used in that should create the amusement. In my case the bleeping did not ditract from the overall humour of the presentation, I could understand the words clearly, and the censorship obviously just a formality due to the fact this video was presented at a professional conference.

To imagine these sort of reviews as being ruined thanks to the (albeit useless) censorship of curse words if just insulting to the maker, it gives no credit to the creativity behind the writing of the well constructed jokes/puns/insinuations. Its like judging all Yahtzee's effort on whether or not we can fully hear the words "fuck, twat and prick".

stacia123

Nov 8, 2007
I seem to have developed a terrible crush on pinkgothic.

I probably should have noted in my original comment that I found quite a bit funny in this week's installment, despite the horrendous high-pitched beeps that tried to destroy my eardrums. I just think it's unfortunate that people who don't want to hear a censored version are getting slammed so roundly in this thread -- it never occurred to me that there would be people who *liked* hearing bleeps in the middle of narration.

Crooked Knight

Nov 8, 2007
Having skimmed the thread, I can safely say that you people will complain about anything. A video intended for a convention audience has halfway-bleeped curse words that are still perfectly intelligible? EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!

Anyhow, great video. Didn't get much more than a chuckle out of the console reviews, possibly because I don't actually own any of them, but other than that it was good stuff. Especially the magical hand that shoots bees.

culade

Quiet Knoll
Dec 17, 2007
pinkgothic said:
I don't really understand why people are aggressive towards those that are. In particular, if both sides are calling each other "idiots", then it's evident that at least one side is wrong about that observation - and chances are both are.
some of those complaining about the censorship are being called idiots for legit reasons like believing this is permanent then stating that they will no longer watch ZP. some haven't bothered to read anything posted saying this was made and censored for a live audience.

the censorship didn't bother me, partly because my brain functions and is capable of filling in the few blanks, but mostly because i understood why it was censored before even watching it. some people complaining about the censorship are right in defending free speech and all, but others are doing it out of pure immaturity. hopefully the ones that say they won't be back mean it.

as for the video itself, you could tell he had a time limit he talked so fast. rehashing jokes is acceptible since we're not the intended audience. so it wasn't great but still good.

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
im just speaking up because page after page of posts reflected an opinion i agreed with and then some moron got up on their bandwaggon and started the 'cant we all just get along' happy horseshit and calling people idiots because they had the nerve to make a post saying they hated the censorship.

i can assure anyone that is reading i am NOT a child, im a 36 year old United States Marine (retired) that actualy spent some time in the sand (in gulf 1) with a weapon standing a post to defend freedoms like freedom of expression. perhaps some of my hostility on this issue DOES come from an overreaction to what i do see and an over censoring of American media in all forms (im still pissed that the Witcher got cut down for American sale) but though that may be a part of this it is by far not the only part for me.

time after time i see posts on formus like this where the vast majority of people dont like something but when they say so there is allwayws a few turds that want to take exception, they allways come across as being holyer than thou and act like anyone that would have the gall to possably dissagree with them are just kids or feeble minded or what have you. well im here to tell you that in THIS case you have met your match, im not a kid and im certianly NOT feeble minded and in reguards to the actualy issue in question (censorship in case you missed it) if your for it at any level then you are the idiot. there is a right and a wrong way of doing things and censorship is the wrong way.

ive seen several replys now that seem to want to say that the censorship was done on purpose. bull shit. thats all i can say about that. simply because of its true than Yahtzee is a hack and we all know hes not. if the censorship was put in by yahtzee himself as a part of making some kind of a statment then it fell flat, it played like a fart in church and hes just not that bad that he could screw something like that up. so that means that the censorship was imposed. making all the arguments about how its 'not that bad' wrong. its not your work first of all so your judgment about how it 'did hurt anything' is meaningless, second of all it DID hurt the clip as page after page of replys attest to here. and 3rd if this was yahtzees "big break" do you really think that this clip gives a good reflection of his work? with a screaming BEEP every couple of seconds to totaly jar you out of the flow?

yahtzee got his 'big break', im sure he dusted off his thong and his push up bra, spent days in his basement working it on his home made stripper pole, choosing just the right song to dance too, and the right boa to use for the tease portion, perfected his act only to arrive and be told 'ohh yeah you cant take your cloths off because this is an awards show'

and to the person that said in effect it was an awards show made for TV so censorship is to be expected, ill just say again then why bother to get someone for that show knowing that what he does wont be suitable for TV? if you want yahtzee then take what comes along if you want Ward and June Cleaver then get THEM instead.

dont take our $20 hooker slap more than a few Beeps on his work and try and make him Queen of England just because its on TV. just because a cat has a kitten in an oven dont make it a muffin.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
You may not be a child, but you apparently lack reading comprehension. Your point was already made, in a much better fashion. I know that goes ditto for most of the others in this forum, but you were the last post, so it gets directed at you.

Also, be careful trying to godwin the thread with the marine comment. I know quite a few people that consider marines to be quite childish, seeing as they do what they are told without question. And reposting what has already been said doesn't help fight the "dumb Marine" stereotype, either.

Veraad

Jan 2, 2008
The DNF bit had me in stitches!! awsomeness all over

b4 i was 18 the whole of the internet had a birth date security thing, now im over 18 everything is just censored!!

Escapist! Stop the beeps, stop them now, right now...

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
dont mistake me trikly i didnt bring up the fact that im a Marine(R) because i expect any kind of special attention, Marines have been called "Dumb" since they were created, its a point of Pride for us. and the comment about doing what we are told without question shows pure ignorance (in the literal way) on your part. but arguing about things like this is like fucking for virginity.

the reason i pointed that out is in hopes that those that want to pretend they are 'above it all' and make comments snearing at others opinions as if anyone that has an opinion that doesnt agree with them are just children or morons perhaps could get over themselves for a moment and actualy think about WHY people feel the need to comment on this issue even if the comment is just 'censorship=bad'. im not a child, im very well educated, and certianly experianced with the world in general probibaly more so than you average poster at this sight, not something i expect to be praised over but the point did need to be made.

to assume that someone is a child and ignorant simply because they dont agree with you is just asking for a fight. and as everyone knows the last thing you should expect when you challange a 'dumb Marine' to a fight is for them to simply roll over and die, we are all too a man and woman to stupid NOT to fight :)

*wanders off with his rifle pearched on the end of his massive erection*

The Fuzz 42

Feb 22, 2008
Why the FUCK is this video censored? Why in God's holy name would you take the one thing, Zero Punctuation, that directs any traffic to your site whatsoever, and rape it until it becomes and abosolutly worthless piece of drivel. I'll watch next week, but if that's censored as well, then I'm done. No more.

Why would it even be edited for a conference of game developers? They are all grown ups, and many probably drop f-bombs in their own games.