Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As for people who didn't like ProStreet, I think most of that was because ProStreet was a track racing game like Forza (not the Horizon titles), later Gran Turismos or Grid (original only, please) not a street racing game like Most Wanted and Carbon.
Pretty much. I'll still give credit to EA and its internal devs for going out of their way for doing something different and taking a risk.

I also liked Shift but it faced the same complaints - track racer, no freedrive (hell, no story tbh). Apparently EA realised that track racers weren't what made NFS popular, split Shift off into its own franchise, released a sequel then killed it all off.
I honestly keep forgetting Shift was a thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think most people did. Just EA refusing to learn the lesson of ProStreet that NFS fans aren't particularly interested in a Forza- or Gran Turismo-type game from the franchise.
The irony is that EA basically became right in hindsight. The problem with a lot of AAA racing games today is that they're focused too much on the realistic and simulating aspect. It goes both ways. It's a problem on the publishers, developers, and especially gamers too. "Realism" won out unfortunately. Though I consider it a hollow victory, but you have people that are just too stupid and ignorant to realize or notice this. The problem with so many of these AAA racing games is that they have no personality, and they're all homogenized and boring. Granted, it's a problem with many smaller simulation racing games on Steam as well. Some games that have been out for over a decade, and they're still buggy or have crashes that have yet to be fixed since 2013.

It's why I prefer arcade racers from the AA and Indie side. They know and remember what fun is. They also more than understand it as well.

I mean, Heat let me turn a classic VW Beetle into a rocket, so there's that.
Exactly why I like Nitro. Except you don't even have to customize it to be that way. Most cars are like that right out of the gate.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not really much of a hot take there. People do appreciate the game, but most people have complaints were about the microtransactions/online auction house on the PC version. And having to be connected to thr always online server at the time. Most people like Diablo III anyway. Although, I can't blame people for not trusting the next installment or having concerns, given that it's Activision.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Not really much of a hot take there. People do appreciate the game, but most people have complaints were about the microtransactions on the PC version. And having to be connected to always online server at the time. Most people like Diablo III anyway. Although, I can't blame people for not trusting the next installment or having concerns, given that it's Activision.

I had zero issues with D3 when I played it, but I waited until they patched things up a bit. Still the best thing Activison’s published in the last 10-15 years IMO, aside from Sekiro.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not really much of a hot take there. People do appreciate the game, but most people have complaints were about the microtransactions/online auction house on the PC version. And having to be connected to thr always online server at the time. Most people like Diablo III anyway. Although, I can't blame people for not trusting the next installment or having concerns, given that it's Activision.

It was good, but even ignoring the micro/always internet BS, it feel short of D2 imo. The good part were mostly the same, running around killing stuff and collecting loot, so much so that it might as well had been an expansion more than a sequel. But most of the change didn't really do much for me, like the class system letting you change talent at will made build feel pointless.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
For all its faults, modern Far Cry entries provide the best bush-hiding experience out of all the other stealth competition. Their shrubbery snuggle game is next level. The screen in first-person shows all the bristling leaves as they move closer, becoming out of focus, to tickle your stoic face as you stalk your prey, but moving out of your way as you push forward. This probably says more about me then the game, but those bushes make me feel emotionally safe! Not sure if my parents were genetically-prone stalkers, or if I was traumatically born in a bush - never thought to push any of those enquiries before - it's just something about hiding in them shrubs calms the brain. Might get my own bush to hide in for real life situations. Especially if they got pocket size options.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

I got Diablo 3 for free for having a World of Warcraft subscription at the time, and really that was about the right price. It was nice, but... pretty meh. Path of Exile still stands as the best Diablo-type experience I've had.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It was good, but even ignoring the micro/always internet BS, it feel short of D2 imo. The good part were mostly the same, running around killing stuff and collecting loot, so much so that it might as well had been an expansion more than a sequel. But most of the change didn't really do much for me, like the class system letting you change talent at will made build feel pointless.
I got Diablo 3 for free for having a World of Warcraft subscription at the time, and really that was about the right price. It was nice, but... pretty meh. Path of Exile still stands as the best Diablo-type experience I've had.
I played a little bit of D3 with my older brother when he got the expanded port on PS4 at the time. He's a bigger Diablo fan than me, and he loves the shit out of it. I admit neither of us have touched Diablo II in decades. Ironic enough, I've heard the Switch version is actually the best of the ports, because of the wirless local co-op.

Path of Exile being the best Diablo game ever made is what I hear a decade ago. I believe it, though I've never played it. I know a lot of those feelings were in part to the mixed reception of Diablo III at the time.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The irony is that EA basically became right in hindsight. The problem with a lot of AAA racing games today is that they're focused too much on the realistic and simulating aspect. It goes both ways. It's a problem on the publishers, developers, and especially gamers too. "Realism" one out unfortunately. Though I consider it a hollow victory, but you just have people that are too stupid and ignorant to realize or notice this. The problem with so many of these AAA racing games is that they have no personality, and they're all homogenized and boring.
Chasing "realism" in games, especially ones based on real life activities, is essentially forever chasing after a tighter fitting straightjacket. As racing games get more 'realistic' what do you get? Same cars, same handling, same tracks to race on... wow, such choices we have.

And the closer a game gets to a full on sim the less fun it becomes for people who aren't into sims... and that's a fuckton of people. The hardcore simming communities are tiny compared to the size of the general gaming community(s). Full on simulators are the original Dad Games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chasing "realism" in games, especially ones based on real life activities, is essentially forever chasing after a tighter fitting straightjacket. As racing games get more 'realistic' what do you get? Same cars, same handling, same tracks to race on... wow, such choices we have.
Chasing the magic dragon and all dat good shiet!

And the closer a game gets to a full on sim the less fun it becomes for people who aren't into sims... and that's a fuckton of people. The hardcore simming communities are tiny compared to the size of the general gaming community(s). Full on simulators are the original Dad Games.
Depends on which parts of the community you're talking about, but your point overall still stands. It's not just a racing game problem, but other sports and wrestling titles too with the obsessions with "realism" or to be "accurate" as possible for arbitrary reasons. If that's the case for you knuckleheads, you might as well go out their race, play ball, wrestle, kickbox, etc. Then you got those that are so afraid of having fun or anything that is arcadey for the sake of looking "mature". You playing a realistic sim doesn't make you any more nor any less an adult, you dumb fucks.

Check this video out. I got it time stamped to part you'll find intriguing. Though I advise you to watch the whole video when you have the time.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Depends on which parts of the community you're talking about, but your point overall still stands. It's not just a racing game problem, but other sports and wrestling titles too with the obsessions with "realism" or to be "accurate" as possible for arbitrary reasons. If that's the case for you knuckleheads, you might as well go out their race, play ball, wrestle, kickbox, etc. Then you got those that are so afraid of having fun or anything that is arcadey for the sake of looking "mature". You playing a realistic sim doesn't make you any more nor any less an adult, you dumb fucks.
Simming is a weird space because the more 'realistic' and 'accurate' the sim is the less the playerbase consists of 'gamers' and the more it consists of hobbyists/obsessives/geeks using it as an adjunct to their primary hobby/obsession. The game isn't the point, it's just part of their overall 'thing'. Look at Madden and FIFA playerbases (yes, I know, not really 'simulations but work with me here)... you get players that only ever buy the next iteration of the game and nothing else. Why? Because they're not fans of gaming they're fans of the sport being represented in the game. It's an adjunct, a supporting piece of their real 'hobby', something to scratch that itch. You get the exact same thing with sims and the more 'realistic', 'accurate' or 'faithful to the experience' they get the more that kind of player is common in the playerbase.

Check this video out. I got it time stamped to part you'll find intriguing. Though I ro advise you to watch the whole video when you have the time.
Yeah, watched it when someone posted it before (I'm guessing it was you). Interesting and very unsurprising.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Do you get a problem with sim games in that the more realistic it is, the more realistic people demand it is? I mean, people don't complain about Doom being unrealistic (or at least not too much), but if you tried making it realistic people would point out flaws more.

(Though, of course, one of the big problems is that people complaining something is unrealistic often are basing that on some other sim which may or may not be realistic)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do you get a problem with sim games in that the more realistic it is, the more realistic people demand it is?
Yes. Especially when most of the realistic racing games on the market are creatively bankrupt. Not every case is 1-to-1, but it's annoying when it pops up from certain communities or sub-communities of specific genres.

I mean, people don't complain about Doom being unrealistic (or at least not too much),
Depends on where you look. I remember some guy at a GameStop in 2016 was upset that Doom 4 (the game was a month away from launch) didn't get turned into a COD clone, and hoped/predicted the game would flop, because "over-the-top/unrealistic" FPS can't exist in the market any more! DUR-HUR-HUR! He was instantly proven wrong and had a whining fit about it.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Do you get a problem with sim games in that the more realistic it is, the more realistic people demand it is?
Kinda sorta... There's always a few complaining that something is 'oversimplified'.

But god-fucken-help-you if a sim gets something wrong... then the devs are in for a most righteous of bollockings on forums dedicated to whatever flavour of sim it is.

You are dealing with people who may have built a complete flight simulator 'pod' that's set up as an exact replica of a 1980 Beechcraft Baron cockpit. Weird fucking obsessives.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Depends on where you look. I remember some guy at a GameStop in 2016 was upset that Doom 4 (the game was a month away from launch) didn't get turned into a COD clone, and hoped/predicted the game would flop, because "over-the-top/unrealistic" FPS can't exist in the market any more! DUR-HUR-HUR! He was instantly proven wrong and had a whining fit about it.
Pfffft... like COD is realistic.