Your video game hot take(s) thread

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
MGSV can be added to that list too, even if it was cut short. What was there worked well and got its point across without having to drop a deuce in the player’s cereal for good measure.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Stephanie Sterling's recent vid s***s on the PS5 Pro and she goes into a whole a thing about how she and most people can't tell the difference between the high-est end graphics stuff and, more important, performance modes are inherently more "quality" than quality modes because frame rates and consistency make the games look better than any ray-tracing and such.

Probably it's not a hot take to either prefer "performance" modes and agree with Sterling but... well, yeah, ray-tracing is not worth the effort.

So why are people buying 4090's (gaming I mean obviously I'm not talking about crypto or AI or non-gaming stuff) and all this expensive graphical stuff such a driving force?

Yes I bought a PS5 and I'm sure I'll buy a PS6 but it's not for the better graphics it's to literally just be able to play games (and yes in retrospect I concede I should have waited longer to buy the PS5 given how many games were also playable on PS4).

The Switch 2 will likely be comparable in power to a PS4 and it will sell a million billion units.
In PC gaming that's a choice. You don't have to go for the most cutting edge of graphics, but should you choose to you can. With the PS5 it's built into it. And it's mainly console games succumbing to their own graphics rather than high end graphics itself that's the issue. Both Horizon: Forbidden West and Spider-Man 2 suffered from a lot of dithering, and Capcom notoriously and very obviously cuts the frame rate in half for characters moving in a distance. The smearing/tracing effect is also in nearly every AAA game on consoles. It's counter productive for console games to push graphics so hard only for those graphics to trip up visual fidelity and frame rate.

Also budgets. This graphical arms race is starting to really take its toll on a lot of big studios. *cough* Square Enix

God of War Ragnarok and The Last of Us 2 are freaking awesome games. Absolutely two of the most fun, immersive, exciting, intense, wonderful games I've ever played.
Yes, but also heavily bogged down by their own ambition, and really lacking in momentum. I really like God of War '18 and Ragnarok is alright too, but thinking back to the classic games, they had a drive the newer ones miss. Once you started, you were going, and it wasn't going to stop for the next 8 to 10 hours. However, this then got criticized as 'not enough bang for your buck' because it was seen as too short, so studios started craft these 30 to 40 hour long behemoths that crammed themselves full to bursting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
However, this then got criticized as 'not enough bang for your buck' because it was seen as too short, so studios started craft these 30 to 40 hour long behemoths that crammed themselves full to bursting.
Which doesn't even make sense as most of these critics (Most of them the same) were praising the Greek games for their 8-10+ hour length. The only time somebody from the old days complained about the Greek games being too short were one of the PSP games. That was X play being dumb asses. Though my problem with some of the old greek games of was, they dragged too but in a different way. The mainline trilogy, especially had segments or chapters, that could have been cut, shortened, or outright removed. I really feel this with GoW III especially. Ironic enough, both PSP games suffer from this the least. Especially Ghost of Sparta.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The new GoW games had to adopt a more “mature” tone, since *old Kratos* was pretty played out with the unchecked rage, tiddy games and whatnot. It was fun for a while but it can only go so far. I recall even around Ascension wishing he’d be given more dramatic depth because it was clearly there to develop in capable hands (similar to how I feel about the Killzone series that was never done proper justice).

Gameplay-wise is far more hit and miss IMHO. Most of the added length boils down to slow moving narrative immersion sections for cinematic flare (which is still less artistically effective than the old games were with their camera work alone), and progression/gear gating with grindy skill trees and XP. There must not be an effective way of mitigating this tedium yet because it seems to be par for the course in combat heavy action/adventure games now, where it’s creeping into RPG territory.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
course in combat heavy action/adventure games now, where it’s creeping into RPG territory.
Yes and no. The combat heavy action games or mainly combat games that have little or no RPG elements usually avoid this.

• Hi-Fi Rush - One chapter does it a few times in the museum stage. But that's the only level to do this. It doed get annoying or repeat playthroughs.
  • Evil West
  • Devil May Cry 5 - Does it for about four seconds and never again
  • Oneechanbara Origin
  • Gungrave GORE
  • A lot of action games from the indie side that follows in the steps of DMC.
  • Most Soul/Soul style games or Fromsoft games in general.
Dynasty Warriors Origins will sell great, but I can already hear people complaining about the custom nameless hero character for the main campaign or the fact that you technically can't choose the heroes without partnering with one of them. Unless you're in free mode. So long as they have little to none move set clones, the game should be fine. I might pick this up next year just to have some crazy fun again with this franchise.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
@hanselthecaretaker2, Max has pretty good nuanced take on video game remakes I wish more gamers, and gaming critics especially, would abide by, learn, and except. Not all remakes are not created equally and remade for various, but usually the right reasons.

Still hard to believe considering the way Konami has been the last decade, that not one but two highly coveted games are getting remakes that actually look damn good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These days Konami do their best work when they let someone else do all the work.
Sega with their lesser know or lesser focused IPs. The only difference being Sega was smarter to realize it earlier enough and continue to do so.

Kinkymation with Horizon hot takes:

• She finds Aloy sexy in both games. Keep in mind, Kinky is bi-sexual. She tolds the haters and the sexist assholes to fuck off.
  • She considers both games to have some of the greatest stories in gaming, but more so the first game.
Story wise I disagree, but sine she has much joy in the games, I have no major problems. Her opinion.