The Perfect Apolitical/Politics Free Video.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
. Follow your own advice
That's... exactly what I'm telling you.

I'm the one open to discussion here. You aren't. You've made that very clear. So yes, take your own advice and look at yourself in the mirror.

No wahmenz can be more stronk than man! WAHMENZ IS PRIZE, NOT FITE!
Abby could probably beat up Drake, and I wouldn't even have a problem with it. Plus, she'd have better access to nutritional supplements or even steroids to help her bulk.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
We could all go along way if we just agreed to disagree when arguments reached a stalemate.

I mean the problem with online discussions is that people dont really want their mind changed and will argue endlessly to no avail. Im guilty of it, i think we all are to at least some extent.
Generally speaking I try to avoid arguments of taste. You like what you like, nobody can control that. Like Brawl says, we all just need to make an effort to not be dicks about it.

To add a little more positivity, here's a quote from Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters that's some damn good advice: "I don't believe in guilty pleasures. If you like something, then just fucking like it!"

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Generally speaking I try to avoid arguments of taste. You like what you like, nobody can control that. Like Brawl says, we all just need to make an effort to not be dicks about it.

To add a little more positivity, here's a quote from Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters that's some damn good advice: "I don't believe in guilty pleasures. If you like something, then just fucking like it!"
So long as it is legal please!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So, the question you should be asking is "why isn't it a 100%-of-the-time deal"? That should lead you to the flaw in your argument.
That leads me to the inexorable conclusion that behaviour can still exhibit a trend without being present in 100% of cases, 100% of the time.

How many fistfights has Tifa won? Amy killed a robot with a hammer. Where are the people complaining about that? And remember, I'm just sticking with your examples of games. I could bring up fighting games, in which men and women are, by necessity, equals, and point out the lack of outcry over that, but I won't.
You just did bring them up.

Tifa (and Lightning, and several others) exist in a franchise with enormous amounts of straight male fanservice, so they tend to get a pass. But they're winning "fistfights" against fantastical monsters and mecha and such. That's always been fine. If it showed Tifa fighting against Cloud or Barrett and winning, though-- regardless of the circumstances-- the same accusations surrounding Uncharted would appear.

I mean, we're over here telling you exactly why we're outraged in each case, and you and others are going "no, you're all just bigots".
All you have to do is just listen.
I didn't call anybody a bigot, though, did I? You're not actually listening to what I'm saying; you're condensing it into some absurd strawman, and then claiming it falls apart because individual counter-examples exist (counter-examples which aren't actually analogous, but we've covered that).

Well that is a different argument. They arent complaining that a woman is in the game in the first place, which is what you implied originally.
That was rhetoric. They're complaining about women fulfilling certain roles which don't fit their own (slightly archaic) preferences, or sometimes complaining about women taking the protagonist's role if it's previously been filled by a man.

Being annoyed about a woman beating up guys is stupid because it happens in every fucking movie ever and it is just as bogus there too. Its fucking fantasy there are some things that just require the suspension of disbelief.

That is why i never got involved with that part of that thread. Because the argument is stupid.
Glad to get your support on that point.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
OK, yeah, it's totally unrealistic that a professional mercenary would be unable to overpower 2 visibly-exhausted amateur treasure-hunters after they've just climbed a building.
Overpower. No issue.
Do it with such ease basically barely taking a single punch? No
Especially when her technique really is bad.
She takes less hits in the fight vs Nathan and Sam than an earlier fight in the game vs Nathan alone.

Uhrm, yes, there was loads of whining about Life is Strange 1.
Mostly the awful dialogue and writing from what I remember lol.

Never heard of Robert Yang or any of his games until now. Examples which are small indie titles specifically targeted towards the LGBTQ community isn't really what we're talking about, though, is it?
Yang is fairly high profile, I mean high enough profile his works are banned on Twitch anyway.

Again, yes, I remember complaints about gay romance options being in ME.
From a church group lol. EA managed to trump that small letter writing campaign up into a huge deal when it was a what 20 person church congregation the the middle of bumblefuck nowhere lol

That is the premise of "Death of the Author," yes. Authorial intent is nice to know from an academic standpoint, but you cannot control how the world will react to a piece of art you release into the public. Mary Shelley almost certainly had no idea that her scary story she thought up during a vacation in Switzerland would end up inventing an entire new genre of fiction. Nor could her friend, Dr. John Polidori guess that his vampire story would shape the vampire myth in pop culture for centuries to come. And the Wachowski sisters never could have predicted that their sci-fi movie about coming out would be appropriated by an anti-feminist, anti-queer movement.
Screw death of the author at present because it's used for so much to try and claim works are offensive and that the author saying that really wasn't how it was meant to be read doesn't matter.

No wahmenz can be more stronk than man! WAHMENZ IS PRIZE, NOT FITE!
Speaking of people literally not listening and understanding it...............

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Overpower. No issue.
Do it with such ease basically barely taking a single punch? No
Especially when her technique really is bad.
She takes less hits in the fight vs Nathan and Sam than an earlier fight in the game vs Nathan alone.
Who gives a shit?

This is no more unrealistic than 1000 other video game fights. It's a crazy fantasy adventure, requiring endless suspension of disbelief. But the complaints never end, and they boil down to the fact she's a woman and they're men.

Mostly the awful dialogue and writing from what I remember lol.
Nope, people whined about the social themes pretty damn incessantly.

Yang is fairly high profile, I mean high enough profile his works are banned on Twitch anyway.
Cool. Still a tiny indie dev making games targeted towards an LGBTQ audience. Gamers (TM) seem to be fine with that; they just don't like it crossing into their "mainstream" games.

From a church group lol. EA managed to trump that small letter writing campaign up into a huge deal when it was a what 20 person church congregation the the middle of bumblefuck nowhere lol
Again, no, I remember complaints on gaming forums at the time.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
That leads me to the inexorable conclusion that behaviour can still exhibit a trend without being present in 100% of cases, 100% of the time.
That's kind of like accusing someone of being a member of the KKK as he hangs out with his black friend. Someone can't possibly be racist all the time, can they? It's okay for them to have one or two black friends, right?

Well, no. That doesn't make any sense. Likewise, your argument does not make sense. If people are such misogynists as you suggest, we would be able to mathematically approximate the outrage based on how many women/gay characters a game has, but we can't do that, which means that your formula is wrong.

Tifa (and Lightning, and several others) exist in a franchise with enormous amounts of straight male fanservice, so they tend to get a pass
Ugh, girls can't just dress however they want, it always have to be "in service" to some male. What a misogynistic view. They're not putting on that skirt for YOU!

If it showed Tifa fighting against Cloud or Barrett and winning, though-- regardless of the circumstances-- the same accusations surrounding Uncharted would appear.
I dunno, in a world where magic exists, anything is possible. For example:

Look at that, she's flying around, tossing a guy through the air with one arm. None of that follows the physical rules of our world. Things are different out there. She probably only lost that fight because the person she had to protect that girl (if I'm wrong, this was a long time ago)

So no, probably not. In the world of Final Fantasy, how strong you are isn't decided by your muscles.

This is no more unrealistic than 1000 other video game fights.
It's not that it's "unrealistic". It's that it breaks the established rules of their universe.
Again, nobody complains about how Xiaoyu can beat up Kuma, a LITERAL BEAR, in Tekken. Why? Because that's okay according to the rules of THEIR universe.

It's about rules, and breaking them, presumably for political reasons.

But the complaints never end, and they boil down to the fact she's a woman and they're men.
aaand that's where you accuse (or imply) bigotry.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Who gives a shit?
People getting mad and calling others misogynists for bringing it up or pointing out how it actually might just be Neil Druckman sneaking his fetish material into the game.......

This is no more unrealistic than 1000 other video game fights. It's a crazy fantasy adventure, requiring endless suspension of disbelief. But the complaints never end, and they boil down to the fact she's a woman and they're men.
It sticks out are especially more inconsistent and out of place and pushes suspension of disbelief past a certain point. Also no the complaints aren't that she's a woman as such just that she apparently is that powerful she barely takes a single hit.

No-one is mad that in Atomic Blonde she manages to take multiple guys out on the stairs.

I'd say watch the Nadine fight and play spot the difference.

Nope, people whined about the social themes pretty damn incessantly.
Most of what I remember was people dunking on the "hella" cringey dialogue lol

Cool. Still a tiny indie dev making games targeted towards an LGBTQ audience. Gamers (TM) seem to be fine with that; they just don't like it crossing into their "mainstream" games.
What mainstream game were people actually mad about in this regard again?

Again, no, I remember complaints on gaming forums at the time.
Was in GameFAQs lol?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

Grrrr look at how angry I am about this woman beating up all these men because I'm such a mysognist!

Oh wait, no, I'm not angry at all, because this character was explained and built up properly so that this doesn't lessen my suspension of belief when the buildup pays off, and it doesn't break any of the established rules!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Grrrr look at how angry I am about this woman beating up all these men because I'm such a mysognist!

Oh wait, no, I'm not angry at all, because this character was explained and built up properly so that this doesn't lessen my suspension of belief when the buildup pays off, and it doesn't break any of the established rules!
Built up or not, that fight scene sucked. It's so slow and you can clearly see she doesn't come close to touching those guys half the time.

Not really a good example of a good fight scene.

why didn't you use that scene from Kill Bill where she cuts up like 100 dudes? That was awesome.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
why didn't you use that scene from Kill Bill where she cuts up like 100 dudes? That was awesome.
I've never seen a Kill Bill. Chocolate is just the primary example of a "woman that beats up a whole bunch of people and nobody gets mad about it" I had in my mind.

The whole movie is apparently free (with ads) on Youtube, if anyone wants to watch it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've never seen a Kill Bill. Chocolate is just the primary example of a "woman that beats up a whole bunch of people and nobody gets mad about it" I had in my mind.

The whole movie is apparently free (with ads) on Youtube, if anyone wants to watch it.
Kill Bill is hell worth watching.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's... exactly what I'm telling you.

I'm the one open to discussion here. You aren't. You've made that very clear. So yes, take your own advice and look at yourself in the mirror.
Says the guy who the biggest hissy fit in the Game Journalist Thread, because a grown black woman with elite military can take on two men. For the record, I hate both Sam Drake and Nadine.

Be proud of your accusation complex and barely learning anything.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Says the guy who the biggest hissy fit in the Game Journalist Thread, because a grown black woman with elite military can take on two men. For the record, I hate both Sam Drake and Nadine.

Well done on proving Houseman right by ignoring one of his latest posts lol

Reactions: Houseman

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

That's not a refutation to my argument that you aren't open to discussion. It's just a "YEAH, WELL, WHAT ABOUT THIS BAD THING YOU DID OVER THERE?"
It's childish.

Well done on proving Houseman right by ignoring one of his latest posts lol
I could list a hundred fight scenes of women beating up men, that I don't have an issue with, but that won't matter, because some people have it stuck in their minds that I'm a misogynist, just because I disapprove of one fight scene from Uncharted.

Facts don't matter to their feelings.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No-one is mad that in Atomic Blonde she manages to take multiple guys out on the stairs.
Wrong. There were people complaining about that when that scene appeared in the first teaser trailer. Most of those complaints started to drop when in another trailer, the main character was up lesbian activities. All of sudden, most of them stopped. Not as loud as the complaints with Abby, but it did happen.

I mean the problem with online discussions is that people dont really want their mind changed and will argue endlessly to no avail.
The Current Events forum in a nutshell. There are sensible and good people there, while you have others that don't want to compromise or bother with a stalemate at all.

Exactly! The best kinds of correct! I was never for guilty pleasure to begin with, but by the time I was 19 or so, either I liked something or I did not. Rarely a in-between. It's more than just gamers that need to learn this.

That's not a refutation to my argument that you aren't open to discussion. It's just a "YEAH, WELL, WHAT ABOUT THIS BAD THING YOU DID?"
It's childish.
Says the one that has been acting like a child on this thread and ignoring or downplaying nearly everyone's facts or good points. Getting upset when you do get called out on your bullshit. Seriously, you have no ground to stand. It's sad and pathetic.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Wrong. There were people complaining about that when that scene appeared in the first teaser trailer. Most of those complaints started to drop when in another trailer, the main character was up lesbian activities. All of sudden, most of them stopped. Not as loud as the complaints with Abby, but it did happen.
Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Says the one t
You're still doing it.
Anytime you begin a sentence with "Says the one", you're just doing a whataboutism in hopes that it'll distract from the criticism against you.

If you want to properly address criticism, try starting your sentence with "You're wrong, because..." or "That's not true, because..."

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble