BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Darkmantle said:
I completely fail to understand the point of your post. Are you asking if, assuming the ending was different but just as shit, we would still complain? Well I would I assume so, I mean, the ending was bad, if we had an equally bad but different one I fail to see how that would change anything
Point? You want a point? It's more of a rant on my overall frustration with this coddled, entitled attitude that not one person deserves to have, let alone thousands or tens of thousands. I don't understand the point of involving the trade commission with feeling personally butthurt, but it happened anyway.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Wow, this is fucking stupid.
Stupid overreactions like this do no good for the gaming industry. The RPG market was dwindling as is, and this is only going to make it even worse.
The ending wasn't even that bad, anyways.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
dogstile said:
No, they're getting sued for false advertising, not because the ending sucked (even though it did) but because the choices that you had at the ending achieved nothing. Hell, is it even possible to fail mass effect 3? If I rushed through the game and didn't collect war assets, picking the worst choices, I would still beat the reapers.

There wasn't meaningful choices. At all.
You could rescue an ancient race from extinction, or finish the job the krogan started.

You could reunite a race of machines with their creators and end centuries of pointless conflict, or end it with genocide.

You could save a race from slow extinction and give them a new beginning in a new galactic setting, or do the same, but with your mistakes installing in power those who would let history repeat itself.

You could do all this, and more...but in the end, all you need is a heartbeat and a handgun. And hopefully, you're not colorblind. Otherwise, you'd have trouble telling the endings apart.

I personally prefer this theory:

AnarchistAbe said:
Do you REALLY feel they deserved this? Games marketing ALWAYS promises more than the game could deliver. Why is Bioware being singled out?
Alright. Do you have an example? Where official game marketing promises specific things that are not in the game, that is. "Intense gameplay," "An epic story," and "Vibrant gameworld" are not specific things, by the way. They're subjective traits and are thus always up for debate.

Promising "the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome" is something which is objectively untrue. Everyone who finished Mass Effect got one of three endings, all of which were alarmingly similar to each other. I won't say it's a great thing to base a legal complaint on, but it's certainly a thing, which is more than 'this ending sucks' can say.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
PrototypeC said:
Darkmantle said:
I completely fail to understand the point of your post. Are you asking if, assuming the ending was different but just as shit, we would still complain? Well I would I assume so, I mean, the ending was bad, if we had an equally bad but different one I fail to see how that would change anything
Point? You want a point? It's more of a rant on my overall frustration with this coddled, entitled attitude that not one person deserves to have, let alone thousands or tens of thousands. I don't understand the point of involving the trade commission with feeling personally butthurt, but it happened anyway.
well fuck, I figured since you were posting on a discussion forum, I figured you may want to have a little chat about it, but if all you wanted to do is vent and babble on, more power to ya.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
SweetLiquidSnake said:
AnarchistAbe said:
This makes me want to scream. Entitled douchebags, all of you. No arguments, deep down you all know its true.
Where were all of you on my other post? I made one pointing out that these over-entitled fans should be labeled as "Massholes" and condemned, but the entire post ended up getting flooded with Massholes butthurt about my name calling and tried to tear me a new one.

Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this is a dead issue.
I've been laughing for like 5 minutes about the term "Massholes" xD That is fantastic!

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
I wonder if the Mass Effect 3 ending is a biggerdisappointment to fans then Duke Nukem Forever's release was...huh.

And now I wait for someone to ask me not to compare the two.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Of all the things I expected to see this afternoon when I arrived for my weekly dose of Feed Dump and Yatzhee, this was not on the list...

I don't even know what to say... the FTC Complaint guys were in the right? Seriously?

captcha: Question Everything, no kidding, I think I must have woke up in Bizarro-World without realizing it...

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Am I the only one that stopped caring? I mean, I consider myself a pretty big Mass Effect fan and thought the ending sucked but I just kinda no longer care.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Here I was thinking that it would be because the ads contain no in game footage, only pre-rendered scenes made specifically for the ads. It would be like a movie trailer made from other movies.

Chosen_Chaos

Sep 11, 2008
Roboto said:
viranimus said:
The ending is not specifically the "outcome". Many of the outcomes were decided well before the last 10 minutes of the game as in which civilzations survived and which didnt. The "outcome" extends far beyond the final cut scenes.
I agree with this, but it is a self-undoing argument. Shpoilers

At the end of the day, regardless of what you did in any of the games, the Reapers are no more, everyone is utterly stranded in their home system to perish. That is a constant. Maybe the little details are different (destroy ending: same as above, but now you have to clean up Reaper mess) synthesis: everyone glows, I guess. Control: as above.
Right, the "everyone who comes to Earth to help with the final push is trapped and starves" argument, which is not quite accurate. Firstly, there are other forms of FTL travel that don't include the mass relays, but they're a lot slower, so it'd take longer to return home.

Which leads onto the next idea, namely that appropriate food-production systems can by jury-rigged from all of the scrap now cluttering up the Sol system. If you have the quarians with you, it becomes easier to see how it would work.

Scorpid said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Jokes on the gamers! Now, we'll get the same exact ending to every fucking game. The safe, happy ending that nobody has grounds to complain about. Thank you, "retakers". Thank you for your entitled douchebaggery.
Are you saying that games endings and stories now are just fine? I agree that "retake Mass Effect" is a bit of a pretentious name, with it never being ours in the first place. But how can you say a demand for coherent interesting story from game developers is going to blow up in our face and give us even LESS ambitious story telling?
It's possible that developers will push out bland, generic stories in an attempt to avoid the kind of backlash that's happened with ME3, deciding that the risk isn't worth it.

Jul 22, 2009
Caverat said:
Well, it's not like any of the decisions you made in any of the games changed their respective ending in anyway. It boiled down to 'Save the council/Don't save the council' and 'Keep the Collector base/ Don't keep the collector base.' Nothing else done throughout the games changed those endings(Except for the post ending bit in ME2 were some of your team might be dead, the equivalent of which can easily be added to 3 via DLC, but, ultimately didn't change the ending in any way.), I don't see why people have tantrums because the third game followed suit.
The first game was setting the tone, setting up long reaching choices that probably wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in the near future, we were pretty much told that and shown that in every aspect of play, the ending was satisfying and the little choice we had still fit because they were big choices.

With ME2 I have to disagree, the ending did in no way boil down to 'Keep/Destroy Collector Base', that was the minor part, but yet, still with long reaching consequences we could expect to see later on, the true bulk of ME2s ending was your squad, I think decision played a huge part in that ending, there is a massive difference between potentially losing some of your closest squadmates who have potentially been around since the first game and choosing a different coloured laser.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Oh no. No no no. Why did someone even vaguely official have to comment on this?

People are acting like this is the first time that false advertising has been used ever. Do people still actually pay any attention to advertising these days? And believe it? I think this is the problem.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
yay, let's justify people's nerd-rage so they feel smart instead of dumb

way to go law!

/sigh
mass effect 3 was all-ways doing to create whining but I never expected this level of melodrama
I'm just glad I never invested myself in the franchise that much

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
sumanoskae said:
But you know what, I WOULD prefer a totally generic ending to this nonsensical dirge, at least if the ending was forgettable (Which is a stupid compliant, because the ending to a story shouldn't function on it's own) I could get passed it. Just appreciate the rest of the game. The ending we got wasn't forgettable, it was much worse, it was damaging. It changes everything about the central conflict of the game, it condemns the characters the bleak, ambiguous fates for no reason other than to make you feel like shit, and then it ends on a sunrise with upbeat techno and tries to tell you things will be okay. It's not just bleak, it's manipulative.

In fact that last statement sums it up pretty well, it serves no purpose other than making you feel like shit. There's no rhyme, no reason, no constancy, just despair.

I WISH it was forgettable.
The only reason I remember it is because people won't shut the fuck up about it. So maybe I'm just weird.

I know how this looks, and trust me, it's not a direct dig at you. I'm just generalizing here.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Frankly this would be news worthy if it came from someone who matter the BBB is a useless corrupt organization best ignored.

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
Yeah I'm hoping the writer responsible for the ending gets fired, it's been obvious that the promises made were lies since the game was first finished.