Could You Date A Transexual?

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
probably not, dont get me wrong, i have nothing against transsexuals, im firmly in the camp of "it takes all people" mentality. but i think i wouldn't be able to, as in the back of my mind i wouldn't believe it would work out long term, and therefore not worth dating.

Flutterknight

Jan 7, 2013
Helmholtz Watson said:
biologically African-American
Regardless of the rest of your argument, please go look up the definition of "African-American" (if I had a picture of Inigo Montoya, I'd link it here) because "African-American" is not the same as having a large amount of melanin (i.e. having a skin tone that would be considered "black").

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
If I think about it right now in these terms, I would say no, I wouldn't date a transsexual person, since I really can't relate to the desire to change your sex physically and am probably too ignorant to accept that such a thing actually happens and makes sense once you feel it yourself. I also imagine that, knowing the person in question was transsexual, I'd always see them as being male (because transsexual or not, I'm not attracted to men at all) and that would definitely put me off. However, I don't really know the future, I could end up falling in love with someone like that and if it were to happen, I'd certainly not let something like that get in the way of our happiness. Keeping this in mind, I really can't definitely say no. This is all hypothetical though, since I'm really only attracted to one person and have been for 5 years now.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I'm sure that if it weren't immediately sprung onto me I could...Like, if they didn't introduce themselves as "Carol, the Transexual" I could probably get over it. It's always better to build a relationship over time, IMO.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
DJ_DEnM said:
I'm sure that if it weren't immediately sprung onto me I could...Like, if they didn't introduce themselves as "Carol, the Transexual" I could probably get over it. It's always better to build a relationship over time, IMO.
LMAo ya not many of us would pull that! I have never lied to anyone i dated..from the first serious GF i had right out or high school (for 7 years) to my wife BEFORE we got married... once I got comfortable I told them about my Gender Dysphoria... granted I wasn't in transition, but they knew it was there... as I have said MANY times, my wife is the one who pushed me in to beginning my transition. She saved my life.

Lurklen

Feb 2, 2010
I don't think I could. I would support them in any other way I could but I couldn't be in a romantic relationship with them. This is the same thing with men, which I have thought about, and I just don't want them. I think that's what it comes down to for me, I've seen men and post-op trans who I can find attractive or objectivly beautiful but I dont want them. And for me I need to feel a kind of immediate desire for the other person (and be wanted in return) in order to really consider them.

Also I just don't think I'm up for the emotional baggage that comes with making such huge decisions about ones self. Even if it's a good change it leaves scars, and I've got too many of my own. Which is a problem in all of my relationships let alone difficult romantic ones.

But that being said If I met a woman, fell in love and at some point she told me she used to be a man, (after the feeling of betrayal that comes from any secret coming to light) If I loved her I don't think my feelings would change.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Could I date a transexual?

I suppose so, in the sense that I could and no one is stopping me.

But, would I?

Nope, not my thing. I've met one trans person (is that even right?) and I thought he (girl to guy if I remember right) was a pretty cool person. The thought of even considering dating him never crossed my mind, so I seriously doubt I would.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jenvas1306 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Jenvas1306 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Jenvas1306 said:
Casual Shinji said:
a) Like it or not, our brains our hardwired to think in terms of gender. Again, otherwise a transgender wouldn't feel the need to change their sex. Just as their brain is hardwired to see themselves as female (or male) eventhough they're biologically male (or female), my brain is hardwired to see them as the gender they biologically are.

b) However, I don't use this logic to kill or rape, I use it too decypher whether or not I would date someone. Not too big a difference, but still...
your brain is hardwired for your opinion? that must be one special medical conditon. how do you live with never being able to learn or change?
If you mean I won't be able to learn to see transgendered people as 100% their current gender... Then no, I guess I won't.

I'll just have to learn to live with my disfunctional brain.
only if you kill yourself this instant, otherwise you live on with a chance of changing your mind, how scary would that be?

(btw, you cant be transgendered, you are transgender or not)
Well, I do fear the future, so I guess living on would be scary.

Nice subtle jab there, by the way.
dont take it personally, its just a term that came up recently and is wrong.

sigh...

I didnt choose to be a woman. I actually would have liked to live as a man, that would be so much easier, but I knew I wasnt and could bring up the strength to change my situation, cause I was thinking just like you do: XY is male and stays male, but I have learned that gender is more complicated than that and Im very well aware that, if you arent in that situation; it is a very difficult thing to understand.
If I am just myself, I am female, my sexuality didnt fit my body. why is that so? I asked that a lot and there is no full explanation yet. It simply is something that is deeply part of myself, against anatomy or genetics.
I had to accept that its part of my life and that I can choose to have a life with problems, but as my true self or try to live a lie, and then some random person comes along and tells me 'nope, still male' while I had such a struggle to try to be male...
Nothing personal taken.

I guess this gives me a better understanding of why the 'still a guy' statement would tick you off. And I'm sorry. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves we're talking to people and not just blocks of text.

Feb 22, 2009
I'd say I'd be fine with it as long as they actually looked completely female. I have no problem with it, the only thing that'd put me off would be if the surgery had been done badly and they still looked male or something.

Fun fact: I dated a girl once who would go on to become a guy fairly soon afterwards. So looking at it one way I guess I have dated a transsexual? Ish?

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
There is no way in hell that I would date a transexual. I enjoy sex to much and I want to actually have kids with my partner one day.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
I guess this gives me a better understanding of why the 'still a guy' statement would tick you off. And I'm sorry. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves we're talking to people and not just blocks of text.

Ya, it's hard to remember there are people on the other side of these words...people with dreams, fears, and feelings. What was stated was perfect if you ask me.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
Little Gray said:
There is no way in hell that I would date a transexual. I enjoy sex to much and I want to actually have kids with my partner one day.
I get the second part..but not the first..ah well. We all like what we like :D

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Beautiful Tragedy said:
Little Gray said:
I get the second part..but not the first..ah well. We all like what we like :D
There is a very real and noticeable difference between fake and real.

Satocreed

Oct 26, 2009
I wouln't mind it at all. Its not who they were but who they are, and as a person who identifies as demisexual anyways it has less to do with gender for me and more to do with how much I care for them as a person.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
lechat said:
even if i could be initially fooled into being in a relationship
....I'm not even completely sure what to say here.

Smolderin said:
medically speaking, YOU ARE A MALE
Please don't besmirch medicine to try and defend your feelings on the matter. Medically speaking, a MTF transsexual is not male. I'm not saying you have to want to date or even like transsexuals, but don't hide behind "medicine" to cover YOUR issues with it. That's akin to saying "scientifically speaking, the negro is an inferior species" to explain why you'd never date a black person.

You can't just slap "science!" on your phobias, sorry.
Do MTF have xy chromosomes or xx chromosomes? You can have as much surgery as you like, it doesn't change who you are. Case in point, if you didn't know who Michael Jackson is, you might assume that he is a weird looking white man, but he is a black man. It doesn't matter how much surgery he has, he will always be biologically African-American.

OP:No, I would be completely put off by knowing that the person I am with used to have a penis.
Who you are is phenotype, not genotype. Unless you jack off to karyotypes of the women you love and nitpick at them for recessive alleles they have but don't actually effect them your "THEY HAVE XY CHROMOSOMES" is rather irrelevant.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Not at all. My only goal in dating/marrying would be to make babies with that person, and I don't particularly want to adopt.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Jenvas1306 said:
also, this thread shouldnt exist. there are too many opinions based on stereotypes instead of actual experiance and I'm glad others do the explaining and correcting here.
Thats exactly why it should exist though. An open forum in which people, even it's a a small percentage of them, end up more informed is how society progresses. Sure, there are some really awful opinions (check me raging at the quote below if you really want another example) but I've met and discussed the societal issues facing those who idefntify as trans-, and have found common ground in our experiences from which I can emphasize. That's awesome.

krazykidd said:
Nope . Never . Ever . And if i date a person who i thought was born a woman to find out they weren't i'd probably go to jail for murder .
This is not awesome. I was actually feeling pretty good about things while writing the above, and now I stumble across this. You're talking about murder because the person you dated turned out to transgendered. I mentioned in one of my previous posts about the shear amount of trust it must take to break such significant news to somebody. Then I come across that not telling somebody before the first date is worth of murder.

Helmholtz Watson said:
It doesn't matter how much surgery he has, he will always be biologically African-American.
Hey, because now I'm in the mood for replying to posts that infuriate me with images, heres one for you!

Beautiful Tragedy said:
Lets move back to my curiosity, it makes me feel much better. You are, from my understanding gleaned entirely from skimming your posts, male-to-female. Have you undergone surgery, or 'just' hormonal treatment?

Oh, and because I'm liking my image responses, heres another.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Calibanbutcher said:
Quadocky said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Interesting.
So somehow both "sides" feel that the other is being hostile towards them?
Seems like a real clusterf*ck if you ask me.
Except, oppression of a minority is a much more dire thing.

You didn't bother to read the rest of my post, did you?

Something about freedom etc?
I did read it, I just thought it was not relevant enough to mention.

Aug 31, 2012
God no, having to date someone pretty much guarantees there's not going to be enough there to make a relationship. Wouldn't be worth the hassle.